Alarm Clock

Hi! We are cruising on Navigator of the Seas next week in the Mediterranean. I was wondering if the rooms have alarm clocks? Does anyone have experience with wake up calls as an option? My husband will have his cell phone which we can use as an alarm, but my parents will be in another room and were not planning to bring a phone. If my mom brings her iphone and puts it on airplane mode, would the clock on the phone adjust to the correct time so she could use it as an alarm? Thanks!

Hi! We are cruising on Navigator of the Seas next week in the Mediterranean. I was wondering if the rooms have alarm clocks? Does anyone have experience with wake up calls as an option? My husband will have his cell phone which we can use as an alarm, but my parents will be in another room and were not planning to bring a phone. If my mom brings her iphone and puts it on airplane mode, would the clock on the phone adjust to the correct time so she could use it as an alarm? Thanks!

The ship provides a wake-up call service via the telephone in the stateroom.

A cell phone in airplane mode will not be syncing with the correct time. Don't know about your phones, but on my iPhone I can disable the automatic time setting and set the time manually.

There are no alarm clocks in the room on NOS. I always bring a small portable alarm clock myself. I do not know if there is wake up service because I never thought to use it.

The iphone alarm will work fine even in airplane mode, but it will NOT adjust to the correct time. However, you can do this yourself manually on the iphone, or turn it on until it adjusts itself. On the Med cruise, the time adjusts forward one hour the evening of the second nite, and back again the evening of the second to last night (so that's Monday and Friday)

Thanks for the quick replies! That's what I figured would happen with the iPhone. I think we'll just use wake up calls and my husband's cell phone alarm. We'll just make sure to check that my parents are up on tour days!

Just so everyone knows, the wake-up calls are set using your telephone and it is completely computerized/automated. There is no "real person" involved. ;) They have always worked for us.

And yes we are on vacation, but some days do need a wake-up call or iPhone alarm so as not to miss our excursion. :)

Putting your room service order out (for a pot of coffee, perhaps) will do the trick, as well! If you want to be up at 6am....ask for a 6:30 delivery...they will call you about 30-15 mins. prior to delivery. Much nicer than an automated wake-up call.

There are plenty of wake-up options. You really don't need to pack a clock or use your cell phone!

...they will call you about 30-15 mins. prior to delivery. Much nicer than an automated wake-up call.

Well, that's a matter of opinion, and we have been called not 15 - 30 minutes prior, but 2 minutes prior - just enough time to throw a robe on and grab the tip money.

Well, that's a matter of opinion, and we have been called not 15 - 30 minutes prior, but 2 minutes prior - just enough time to throw a robe on and grab the tip money.

Us to, never fails when we really need to be up and out the call late, almost as they are at the door. When we give some wiggle room, they are usually calling at that 30 minute mark.

We always pack a small alarm clock just to be safe and have some control.

While we take a travel clock in case we want to know what time it is during the night, we use the telephone system if we need a wake up. It has always worked and will self adjust if we lose an hour overnight.

Those room service orders can get lost and/or delayed.

Thanks for all the responses! My husband was bringing his cell phone anyway so we'll use that and my parents can use a wake-up call and we'll be there back up ;-) We were just concerned about excursion days but this should work out fine. We'd rather leave extra phones at home-one less thing to worry about!

Putting your room service order out (for a pot of coffee, perhaps) will do the trick, as well! If you want to be up at 6am....ask for a 6:30 delivery...they will call you about 30-15 mins. prior to delivery. Much nicer than an automated wake-up call.

There are plenty of wake-up options. You really don't need to pack a clock or use your cell phone!

BA-DA-BING - what ^^^^^ he said.

Agree with you on this. Also if it is an early port the room service could be delayed thus delaying the delivery call. The wake up call has always worked for us when ever we chose to use it.

You are on vacation. Why would you EVER need an alarm clock?? :):)

I feel the same way except when I have to be up early for an excursion. I take my cell phone and turn off the mobile network. The time stays on track and I set the alarm to wake me up.

I never trust wake-up calls - have had too many experiences (in hotels, not on ships) where they never came. A travel alarm takes up almost no space.

Our experience in using the ship's telephone as a wake-up system has been quite positive. Another method would be to order room service for whatever time you want to get up. They will call your room a few minutes prior to delivery to tell you that your order is on its way. If you should bring a clock, make sure that it is a wind up type, since fluctuations in the ship's electrical system can disrupt an electric clock's accuracy.:)

As to why someone on a cruise might want or need a wake-up call or alarm clock, just consider that they might have an early shore excursion, spa appointment or other activity that requires them to arise early.

How is the ringing telephone that precedes the announcement that your room service order is on its way, "much nicer" than the ringing telephone that announces your wake up call? The distinction is lost on me.:confused:

I recommend an alarm clock as a back-up to a wake-up call (for those times it is really important to not be late). We had TWO wake-up calls fail on the last morning of two separate cruises (maybe something due to the ship arriving back in port caused the wake-up call list to be messed up?). We almost missed our shuttle and flight, but the room steward ended up waking us up just in time for us to run off the ship with no showers and no breakfast.

i envy you people that can sleep late.430 am im up no if ands or buts.that being said 930 pm im yawning and rubbing my eyes like a 5 yr old.my wifes seem most evening shows alone.im told there are night clubs on cruise ships but i think im being lied to.

I bring a travel alarm clock. It's inexpensive, easy to pack, and reliable. Besides using the alarm, I also like the larger numbers on the clock face so I can see the time display in the middle of the night. Otherwise, the only clock in the room is the very small display on the telephone.

Archived