Can We Make It?

I object 2

We're checking flights for our upcoming Alaskan cruise. There's plenty of choices flying from our home airport to SEA, but limited choices on the return trip. Options are booking a flight leaving SEA at 11:00 a.m. and arriving home at 5:30 pm. (a 4 1/5 hour trip) OR booking a flight leaving SEA at 1:00 p.m. and arriving home at 11:15 p.m. (an 8 1/5 hour trip that includes a 3 hour and 50 minute layover in Salt Lake City). A VERY long day, indeed.

Are we cutting it too close if we book the 11:00 a.m. flight? We would definitely use a Town Car service from port to airport.

You PROBABLY will be ok, given no delays with customs, etc. If this was YVR I would say no way in heck, but SEA is not usually that packed. You would need to sign up for self-disembark AND be able to handle your own luggage (all of it) to the car service.

It's about as close as I would like however.

We're checking flights for our upcoming Alaskan cruise. There's plenty of choices flying from our home airport to SEA, but limited choices on the return trip. Options are booking a flight leaving SEA at 11:00 a.m. and arriving home at 5:30 pm. (a 4 1/5 hour trip) OR booking a flight leaving SEA at 1:00 p.m. and arriving home at 11:15 p.m. (an 8 1/5 hour trip that includes a 3 hour and 50 minute layover in Salt Lake City). A VERY long day, indeed.

Are we cutting it too close if we book the 11:00 a.m. flight? We would definitely use a Town Car service from port to airport.

You are not cutting it close.

We just did the same on the Star in June with a 10:50 flight.

We did the self disembarkation carrying all of our luggage with us.

We met in the Vista Lounge and were off at 7:50am.

We were at the airport by 8:35. ;)

No problem. :)

Our town car was "Solomons" 206-245-3540 $50 total.

We told him to pick us up around 8:00, he was there waiting, we walked through customs (no line).

If you want to spend your cruise sweating the timing of getting off the ship and getting to the airport, book the 11am flight. You may make it, you may not. I have seen ship clearing take a while in Seattle. One persons post- mine or highheelgirl's- may not make the difference for you.

But, what is the cost/penalty if you miss your flight?

I would book the 1pm. Really not worth the worrying stress and the possible cost.

The information in the your personalizer on the Princess web site includes the suggested flight time guidelines for your disembarkation city.

I would do as recommended. First check with Princess (or on their web site) to see what the earliest flight time the recommend. Be sure to factor in the day of the week with a weekend being easier than a weekday on the roads.

In the end, it all comes down to how much stress you want and really how you handle stress. I am not big on stress so I might just stay till the next day or take the later flight.

Keith

For an 11am flight you should be at the airport by 9 - 9:30am. Either pier is about a 30 minute drive to the airport, but give it 1 hr in case of construction, events, accidents etc. So .... as long as your taxi is pulling away from the pier by 8:15am, you would be fine.

The problem of course would be any delay in your ability to disembark by 8.

I would not do the early flight. I drive to Seattle for business and pleasure quite often. The freeway can get stacked if there is a game at the stadium or wreck or rain! There is a back way down the old highway....surface streets, traffic lights, etc., but still you have to really know how to navigate that route.

I have been stuck on the freeway between the stadium area and the airport for as long as an hour or 2 on a regular basis. Usually due to work related traffic Monday to Friday but long waits occur on game days, as well.

The piers have luggage storage services, so you could just enjoy the area around the dock then go.

Or spend the night.

Or be among the last off the ship.

Thanks for your advice everyone. We've decided to take the later flight. We'll arrive home late, but that just gives me a good excuse for taking a nice long nap the following day.

I think you made the right decision. You are going the week after my Cruise and September can have problems. If the weather is bad, the ship could be late into Seattle. Last year in Mid September, there was a very bad storm that caused ships to miss some ports. So better to play it safe.

My flight will be at 4:30 because I am worried we might arrive late.

Archived