Is New Year's Eve a Formal Night?

The cruise leaves the 30th and the 31st is not a sea day. Stops in HMC I believe and somewhere else the next day. Just wondering for planning purposes if that isn't a formal night may have to plan on 3 of them since I am sure the wife will want to dress up that night.

DCC

Everytime we have sailed HAL on New Years cruises, New Years Eve was always formal night and people really went 'all out'. Even folks who never put much effort for formal, looked great!!! :)

HAL does New Year's Eve really fun.

Enjoy!!1 :)

We were on Rotterdam for b-to-b Christmas and Millenium New Year's Eve and it was amazing!!! :) We've enjoyed all the Holiday cruises we've taken.

The cruise leaves the 30th and the 31st is not a sea day. Stops in HMC I believe and somewhere else the next day. Just wondering for planning purposes if that isn't a formal night may have to plan on 3 of them since I am sure the wife will want to dress up that night.

DCC

Yes; always! Enjoy the party atmosphere and the 'oliebollen'!:)

Thank you to the OP; we were wondering the same thing. We will be on a cruise over New Year's Eve for the first time this December (Maasdam). We have an additional decision -- since we will be in Curacao until 02:00 New Year's Day. Do we stay on board, or ashore for the actual turning of the year, and the fireworks?

I guess there are worse problems to have :rolleyes: :)

Ray in NH

Crystal has one of the most inconvenient dress arrangement of any cruise line we have been on: casual, informal (suit), and formal (tux, at est 80% compliance).

We happen to be on their upcoming holiday cruise and:

• Christmas Eve and Day - Informal
  • New Year's Eve and Day - casual
  • Formal - 2 other days

Go figure that one out ... the times, they are a-changin'

Crystal has one of the most inconvenient dress arrangement of any cruise line we have been on: casual, informal (suit), and formal (tux, at est 80% compliance).

We happen to be on their upcoming holiday cruise and:

• Christmas Eve and Day - Informal
  • New Year's Eve and Day - casual
  • Formal - 2 other days

Go figure that one out ... the times, they are a-changin'

That's crazy! IMO

We'll be on the Zuiderdam for Christmas and Christmas eve. I was wondering the same things for those events? Formal? Do people go way out??

We have seen this vary and will be decided on the ship.

We have had Christmas Eve as formal more times than formal on Christmas Day. It would be most unusual if neither one was formal and I would not expect that to happen.

Any cruise night can be a formal night. Even though the daily program may say Smart Casual, you are welcome to dress up. You might notice admiring glances from other cruisers who will wonder, "I wonder if they were invited to dine with the captain?"

However with DW and I, it would be because we got the dailies confused, and thought it was a different night.:D

I know that in some instances they'll switch the at-sea formal night with the night of a holiday -- It happened on a cruise I was on during Valentine's Day.

So for actual holiday cruises (Christmas and/or New Years), do they also switch the formal nights around, or do they tack on additional ones?

We've been on several HAL holiday sailings (mostly 14-day). The past three have indicated for Christmas Eve "Dress: Formal (optional)". For New Year's Eve, most everyone gets spiffed up to coincide with the big party atmosphere. HAL does a great job for both holidays. :)

• 1 month later...
Oh how I wish I could convince my family to cruise for the Holidays. Just reading this has made me almost say, the heck with them, and book for myself!

Isn't that the truth...I'm afraid we'll never be able to sail during the holidays for that reason. Oh well....

Archived