Last mi ute list

mcgratru

I am 25 days out from our very first cruise. We are celebrating our 25th Anniversary on the Ruby. I have been obsessively checking CC and making lists for months...and I think we are ready...but, I am sure there is something I am forgetting.

Can anyone think of last minute things you wish you had done before your cruise? Or something you did at the last minute that really made your cruise memorable?

Thanks for all the info on these forums:)

I am 25 days out from our very first cruise. We are celebrating our 25th Anniversary on the Ruby. I have been obsessively checking CC and making lists for months...and I think we are ready...but, I am sure there is something I am forgetting.

Can anyone think of last minute things you wish you had done before your cruise? Or something you did at the last minute that really made your cruise memorable?

Don't overpack! Unfortunately, I've been working on this for awhile!! I am getting much better--I pack less for each cruise. My biggest problem is the number of shoes I want to pack. I'm down to about 4-5 pairs now!

If you want to enjoy a fantastic meal and pay the additional cost ($95/person) definitely try to do the Chef's Table. Call the dine line when you get on board and get on the list. A great way to celebrate your anniversary. Congratulations!

The last thing I can recommend is to do what you want to do--you don't have to do everything on one cruise. You'll book another cruise--their addictive!

If you are an active person that likes to try everything, then go for it. If you enjoy reading in a quiet spot, find one on the ship (there are many) and read to your hearts content. Spend some true quality time with your spouse. Go to a private spot on deck and just watch the awe inspiring view (or hang out on your balcony if you have one)--this is actually one of my favorite things to do!

As said, you don't need a lot of clothes. Particularly since there are self-service laundries on every deck.

The most important things to have are your passport (or other required docs), boarding pass, cash, credit card, and medications. For me, a small excursion backpack is a must, Ziploc bags are helpful (particularly to separate your stuff in the safe), lightweight plastic bags to line your suitcase and then use onboard as a laundry bag, and over-the-counter IB, cold pills, etc. I also use Ziploc bags to hold little-used or extra toiletries on the shelf under the sink and out of the way.

Downy Wrinkle Release is very useful for getting out wrinkles from packing. You can get it in travel size. I get only travel sizes and toss them when used up or before packing to go home. That's more space for "stuff" you may buy.

Do not forget to notify your credit card carrier that you will be making charges that are out of the norm, i.e., out of the country. The freezing of your credit card can put a quick damper on your vacation.

The most important thing I pack is my iPhone. It's usually my only camera, my iPod (loaded with music, audio books and tv shows), my Kindle, my contacts list, my file cabinet, my computer and, oh yeah, my phone. I always say that if I lose my iPhone I have to go home.

Then, some clothes (not too many, all black bottoms and tops that mix and match, but up to 4 swimsuits depending on itinerary), my meds, my Tilley hat (serves as an umbrella too), toiletries (LOTS of sunscreen and hair conditioner depending on itinerary) and comfortable walking shoes/sandals.

I can survive with that, but can add "toys" (binoculars, snorkel/scuba gear, hiking boots, trekking poles) as the itinerary demands.

Congratulations on your upcoming celebration of your Wedding Anniversary.

A couple of things:

Verify your airline reservations to be sure no changes to flights/times, etc.

Contact your credit card and atm bank card companies to be sure that they know of your travel plans and where you are visiting on this trip so they don't think the transactions are fraud related.

Be sure you have your passport with you the day you fly out. Make a list of what items you need to carry with you.

Have a wonderful time.

Keith

When you leave, remember to close the garage door when you leave. We were so excited to be leaving for our cruise a couple years ago the we pulled out of the driveway and forgot to close the garage door. When we returned home our neighbor told us that after seeing it open for two days straight he went in the garage pushed the button to close and exited the side door. Good neighbors are hard to find.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

We hand this list out to customers if they want it. You can customize your own list, I think the home checklist is a good one:

http://www.eaglecreek.com/travel-tips-packing-lists/general-packing-list

If your cruise is to Europe, make sure the PIN on your ATM card is 4 numbers long. We took two ATM cards from different accounts, in case one of us lost a card or worse, was mugged. That way we still had access to cash. We also each carried credit cards from seperate accounts.

Call cell phone carrier to get international plan for duration of cruise to avoid a crazy huge bill.

On a different note, on our 20th anniversary cruise to Hawaii I snuck on a picture of us that was taken on our Honeymoon at a luau (also in Hawaii). Pulled it out and set it on our MDR table the night of our anniversary and it was a big hit with the wife and others. Even the head waiter and Maitre de came over and checked it out. Kept it out in the cabin the rest of the cruise. A real blast from the past. The guy got a bit older, but the gal is still just as beautiful...

Doug

I boil down all of my lists (and I am an addicted list maker) to my "Taxi List." 5 items which I check when we are in the cab on the way to the airport:

ID

Credit Cards

Tickets

My husband

Cell Phone

One of my earlier lists is to load my cell phone with a dear friend and neighbor's phone number (she has keys to our house and can turn things on, off, fed ex things, email them); my HMO's app which gives me access to our medical records and prescriptions; all of our travel info; and my other lists.

I figure with those 5 things I will be just fine.

On a different note, on our 20th anniversary cruise to Hawaii I snuck on a picture of us that was taken on our Honeymoon at a luau (also in Hawaii). Pulled it out and set it on our MDR table the night of our anniversary and it was a big hit with the wife and others. Even the head waiter and Maitre de came over and checked it out. Kept it out in the cabin the rest of the cruise. A real blast from the past. The guy got a bit older, but the gal is still just as beautiful...

Doug

Awww. That is SOOOO nice. Especially the last sentence. <sniff>

Archived