Mexican Riviera/Feb.2014

im4golf

Just wondering if anyone knows if Mazatlan might be put on again for the cruise in Feb. 2014, and do you think it will always only be Cabo and PV for the 7 day cruise? Thanks for your replies:)

Just wondering if anyone knows if Mazatlan might be put on again for the cruise in Feb. 2014, and do you think it will always only be Cabo and PV for the 7 day cruise? Thanks for your replies:)

If you're talking about Carnival....difficult to say, I sure get tired of PV, Cabo, Cabo!! Talked to my friends who live in Mazatlan...they say violence(compared to the last 2-3 years) has declined.

Carnival's excuse has been the crime issue..so I think it would have to remain pretty quiet in Mazatlan for the next 6-12 months for them to even think about returning. No matter what Carnivals reason is for not going there....it's a shame... it's a wonderful port of call. I

What ship ? or did I miss it ?

We are booked with NCL for April 2014 and we ARE going to Mazatlan.

Pat

Yes, I was talking about Carnival. Sorry I forgot to mention that. I also don't understand especially when other ships are going there. I guess we'll have to wait and see. Thanks for your reply:)

In the past 2 years the cruise lines have made multiple decisions regarding Mexican ports with only a few days notice. Trying to speculate on cruises 1 1/2 years away (many cruise lines do not even have schedules that far in advance) would be pure speculation.

Hank

I don't believe there are any ships going to Mazatlan now. As far as 2014, cruiselines might list it in their itinerary now but I truly believe they will play a wait and see game before they actually sail there.

Kind of sad for me. Not only have I had some wonderful experiences in Mazatlan, I still remember sitting around a poker table at my Uncle Jack's and Aunt Pat's while my dad and Uncle Jack talked about their yearly trips to Mazatlan. Hearing their stories, it made my always want to go and check out Mazatlan for myself. Perhaps, their tales made me appreciate Mazatlan more than many cruisers that visit there.

:)I was just wondering seeing as they feel its too dangerous to go to Mazatlan, why they don't replace it with another stop instead of 2 days at Cabo? Any ideas on that??? Thanks for your reply.

:)I was just wondering seeing as they feel its too dangerous to go to Mazatlan, why they don't replace it with another stop instead of 2 days at Cabo? Any ideas on that??? Thanks for your reply.

The problem is that there are just no ports that have the appropriate cruise infrastructure within the normal range of the itinerary. A very huge issue for cruise lines is the cost of fuel which they try to minimize by reducing the miles traveled and the speed.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I looked at the map and it definately would be more convenient for them to go to Mazatlan instead of another port. I actually phoned Holland America and they told me yes they are definately going to Mazatlan. THey said they felt it was safe where the cruiseship takes u. However, if it did become dangerous, they wouldn't go there. Maybe Carnival is just waiting before it adds Mazatlan back on to see how the other cruiseships make out. I would think they would have to keep up with the other cruiselines.

• 2 weeks later...

As mentioned previously, it is really impossible to predict how safe Mazatlan (or Puerto Vallarta) will be in 2014. It's really a crap shoot. Even if Carnival puts Mazatlan back on their list of cruises in 2013, port visits will be abruptly stopped if there is a threat to passengers.

As mentioned previously, it is really impossible to predict how safe Mazatlan (or Puerto Vallarta) will be in 2014. It's really a crap shoot. Even if Carnival puts Mazatlan back on their list of cruises in 2013, port visits will be abruptly stopped if there is a threat to passengers.

Which is good--I am really glad they are looking out for our safety! I'm sure everyone else feels the same way. :)

The safety issue is oft driven more by the press then by fact. For example, the current murder rate in Chicago (expressed as murders per 100,000) is about twice as high as in Mexico City! And yet if you were to tell folks that its a lot safer in Mexico City then Chicago they would think you were insane. Of lets put it a different way. How many cruise ship passengers have been killed in Puerto Vallarta in the past few years? Zero! But there was a 14 year old female cruise ship passenger gunned down (last year) just off Coki Beach on St Thomas. Yet, if you tell folks that St Thomas is a dangerous place (much higher crime rate then in Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta or Cabo) they would think you are crazy. Go figure.

Hank

We booked our 3/23/13 Sapphire princess cruise last February and it showed Mazatlan on the itinerary, however a couple of weeks ago we got an email saying we are going to Ensenada instead. :mad:

I think they keep in on the itinerary and then change it the closer it gets to the cruise.

The safety issue is oft driven more by the press then by fact. For example, the current murder rate in Chicago (expressed as murders per 100,000) is about twice as high as in Mexico City! And yet if you were to tell folks that its a lot safer in Mexico City then Chicago they would think you were insane. Of lets put it a different way. How many cruise ship passengers have been killed in Puerto Vallarta in the past few years? Zero! But there was a 14 year old female cruise ship passenger gunned down (last year) just off Coki Beach on St Thomas. Yet, if you tell folks that St Thomas is a dangerous place (much higher crime rate then in Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta or Cabo) they would think you are crazy. Go figure.

Hank

I like your post!:) People seem to get scared off of Mexico quicker than they would in the Caribbean. I lived on a Caribbean island in the 90's and I can tell you there is just as much of a concern regarding crime.

We booked our 3/23/13 Sapphire princess cruise last February and it showed Mazatlan on the itinerary, however a couple of weeks ago we got an email saying we are going to Ensenada instead. :mad:

I think they keep in on the itinerary and then change it the closer it gets to the cruise.

While I hope you can visit Mazatlan on your cruise I wouldn't really count on it. I think it may be quite along time before Princess decides to venture back into Mazatlan. Mazatlan which is in the county of Sinaloa continues to be on the list of areas with travel advisories.

I like your post!:) People seem to get scared off of Mexico quicker than they would in the Caribbean. I lived on a Caribbean island in the 90's and I can tell you there is just as much of a concern regarding crime.

While I hope you can visit Mazatlan on your cruise I wouldn't really count on it. I think it may be quite along time before Princess decides to venture back into Mazatlan. Mazatlan which is in the county of Sinaloa continues to be on the list of areas with travel advisories.

I'm not counting on it, they changed it to Ensenada. I really don't think the ships will be going back to Mazatlan.

Hank

Hank I have been fighting this war for a long time including bringing up the poor girl from St Thomas and have been flamed for it. Thank You for your support of a beautiful country filled with some of the nicest people you will ever meet.

The Gringo Gazette, the English newspaper in Cabo, reported that Carnival has pledged money to build a dock in Magadalena Bay which will be similiar to Costa Maya. That is how they are going to add a new stop and hopefully, new business. I'm afraid Mazatlan will be left out for some time to come.:mad:

Hank I have been fighting this war for a long time including bringing up the poor girl from St Thomas and have been flamed for it. Thank You for your support of a beautiful country filled with some of the nicest people you will ever meet.

The Gringo Gazette, the English newspaper in Cabo, reported that Carnival has pledged money to build a dock in Magadalena Bay which will be similiar to Costa Maya. That is how they are going to add a new stop and hopefully, new business. I'm afraid Mazatlan will be left out for some time to come.:mad:

Nice to hear there may be a new option when cruising to Mexico. I do agree with you in that it will be a long, long time if ever that Mazatlan has a significant amount of cruises docking there. Very sad for the economy there.

Archived