Cuban Cigars

the restrictions cover US Nationals(us citizens and permanent residents) any where in the world. The Cuban sanctions prohibit them being brought into the US by anyone and also effect cruise ships from buying them and carrying them into the US( cuban sanctions at http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/programs/pages/cuba.aspx). Its a dunb rule, imo. I strongly suggest you don't charge them.

the restrictions cover US Nationals(us citizens and permanent residents) any where in the world. The Cuban sanctions prohibit them being brought into the US by anyone and also effect cruise ships from buying them and carrying them into the US( cuban sanctions at http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/programs/pages/cuba.aspx). Its a dunb rule, imo. I strongly suggest you don't charge them.

Foreign nationals in transit are not issued a stamped visa and do not enter the US and are not obligated to observe idiot rules which apply to US citizens. And BTW, unless you bought those cigars in Cuba, which won't happen on a US cruise, you don't know what they are unless you are a cigar expert.

Foreign nationals in transit are not issued a stamped visa and do not enter the US and are not obligated to observe idiot rules which apply to US citizens.

r u sure? any one entering the US even in transit must be cleared. and the US government and OFAC don't agree with you.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_4383.html

from the official us`website

If the traveler is a passenger embarking at a foreign port on a cruise ship or other vessel which is proceeding to a foreign destination other than the U.S., and during the course of the journey, the vessel makes port in the U.S. with no intention of landing in the U.S., a transit visa or other nonimmigrant visa is required.

r u sure? any one entering the US even in transit must be cleared. and the US government and OFAC don't agree with you.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_4383.html

from the official us`website

If the traveler is a passenger embarking at a foreign port on a cruise ship or other vessel which is proceeding to a foreign destination other than the U.S., and during the course of the journey, the vessel makes port in the U.S. with no intention of landing in the U.S., a transit visa or other nonimmigrant visa is required.

No I am not sure, and I didn't want to spend the time reading the rules in your link, but thanks for that. I just know the spirit of the US law in regard to Cuba, which is economic in nature. No money may be transferred by US citizens to Cuba. It is a US foreign policy law, and is not imposed by or applies to citizens of any other country in the world. Some would depend on the agent one encounters. Most wouldn't care less, others would. I have asked customs agents questions about bringing cigarettes in and gotten mostly blank stares and shrugged shoulders. It is not something they care much about.

No I am not sure, and I didn't want to spend the time reading the rules in your link, but thanks for that. I just know the spirit of the US law in regard to Cuba, which is economic in nature. No money may be transferred by US citizens to Cuba. It is a US foreign policy law, and is not imposed by or applies to citizens of any other country in the world. Some would depend on the agent one encounters. Most wouldn't care less, others would. I have asked customs agents questions about bringing cigarettes in and gotten mostly blank stares and shrugged shoulders. It is not something they care much about.

as you can see I thinks its time to end this nonsense. in any case there are tons of fakes out there buy them from reputable sources expect to pay 10us plus per cigar...and pay cash.

money can be transferred. its limited however and its a lot easier now than 4 years ago.

i have brought 6-15 cubans back on every cruise i have ever been on and no problem. that being said, a 10-12 dollar dominican or hondouran cigar is excellent while cohibas are crap and romeo & juliettes are so mild they have no flavor at all.

i have been smoking great seegars now for 42 years!

This does not apply, because the passenger is not embarking in a foreign port, nor is he debarking in a foreign port. He will be on a closed loop cruise from the US. EM

You lost me on the cruise ship.

A cruise ship can have cuban cigars on board and dock in a USA port.

You just can't take them off the ship.

Keith

There was a thread similar to this about a year ago and someone posted a section of the law which actually read that not only is it illegal for a US citizen to bring cuban cigars back into the US but that it is also illegal for a US citizen to buy a cuban cigar period.

Just copied this off of the previously listed link:Transactions Involving Cuban-Origin Goods in Third

Countries

The question is often asked whether United States citizens

or permanent resident aliens of the United States may

legally purchase Cuban origin goods, including tobacco and

alcohol products, in a third country for personal use

outside the United States. The answer is no. The

Regulations prohibit persons subject to the jurisdiction of

the United States from purchasing, transporting, importing,

or otherwise dealing in or engaging in any transactions

with respect to any merchandise outside the United States

if such merchandise (1) is of Cuban origin; or (2) is or

There was a thread similar to this about a year ago and someone posted a section of the law which actually read that not only is it illegal for a US citizen to bring cuban cigars back into the US but that it is also illegal for a US citizen to buy a cuban cigar period.

Just copied this off of the previously listed link:Transactions Involving Cuban-Origin Goods in Third

Countries

if such merchandise (1) is of Cuban origin; or (2) is or

Yes, technically an American citizen cannot purchase a cuban cigar abroad but the reality is there is no one who can enforce that.

Keith

Meaningless exception - a foreigner in transit coming off a cruise ship enters the US and is subject to the same import restrictions.

Import restrictions are one thing, US State Dept. economic sanctions which apply to Cuba or other nations are another animal. Substitute cigars for any other product produced by Cuba which I would assume some foreigners possess when transiting the US. Legal for them, not for US citizens. It does not relate to taxation or quotas as in the case of import restrictions, it relates to any economic transaction that may benefit Cuba. It is strictly a foreign policy punitive action. Theoretically, US citizens could even visit Cuba if no economic benefit of even 1 cent is derived by Cuba.

You can purchase Cuban Cigars but you cannot bring them back to the United States.

Keith

Bad legal advice is bad.

From the US Gov't:Treasury PDF with the actual rules.

Heres the important bit:

Transactions Involving Cuban-Origin Goods in Third

Countries

if such merchandise (1) is of Cuban origin; or (2) is or 2

has been located in or transported from or through Cuba; or

(3) is made or derived in whole or in part of any article

which is the growth, produce or manufacture of Cuba. Thus,

in the case of cigars, the prohibition extends to cigars

manufactured in Cuba and sold in a third country and to

cigars manufactured in a third country from tobacco grown in Cuba.

Bad legal advice is bad.

From the US Gov't:Treasury PDF with the actual rules.

Heres the important bit:

Transactions Involving Cuban-Origin Goods in Third

Countries

if such merchandise (1) is of Cuban origin; or (2) is or 2

has been located in or transported from or through Cuba; or

(3) is made or derived in whole or in part of any article

which is the growth, produce or manufacture of Cuba. Thus,

in the case of cigars, the prohibition extends to cigars

manufactured in Cuba and sold in a third country and to

cigars manufactured in a third country from tobacco grown in Cuba.

If you bothered to read post number 17 (two above yours) you would see that I commented on that.

As I said, there is no one enforcing this and after all how could they.

Keith

You lost me on the cruise ship.

A cruise ship can have cuban cigars on board and dock in a USA port.

You just can't take them off the ship.

Keith

Actually not quite true.

NCL got thermselves into a bit of trouble a few years back when we carried Cuban Cigars on NCL ships that were not calling at US Ports.

US Customs informed us that since we sold cruise tickets in the USA, to US Citizens, we were not allowed to carry Cuban Cigars on any of our ships -even if they did not stop at US Ports. They threatened a US$ 1 Million fine of we violated their instructions.

They also warned us that giving away the cigars - rather than selling them - was also not permitted.

A little hint.

Take the bands off the Cuban Cigars you purchase and then take them home.Tell Customs they were produced in Mexico or Honduras.

Not even a trained bio-chemist with a full laboratory can determine which country a cigar originally comes from if there is no identification on it.

A little hint.

Take the bands off the Cuban Cigars you purchase and then take them home.Tell Customs they were produced in Mexico or Honduras.

Not even a trained bio-chemist with a full laboratory can determine which country a cigar originally comes from if there is no identification on it.

And we have a winning post! This would seem to be such an obvious solution, wouldn't it?

Actually not quite true.

NCL got thermselves into a bit of trouble a few years back when we carried Cuban Cigars on NCL ships that were not calling at US Ports.

US Customs informed us that since we sold cruise tickets in the USA, to US Citizens, we were not allowed to carry Cuban Cigars on any of our ships -even if they did not stop at US Ports. They threatened a US$ 1 Million fine of we violated their instructions.

They also warned us that giving away the cigars - rather than selling them - was also not permitted.

I've sailed on two cruise lines that stop at USA ports and have cuban cigars on board for sale.

Keith

I have had the experience, as a Canadian, of bringing non Cuban cigars into the US and when declaring them, the first question asked by US customs is "are they Cuban"? So customs do care. As for removing the bands, I have read that if questioned on the topic the burden of proof of origin is on the importer, not customs.

As for purchasing or smoking Cubans abroad, how far do the eyes of big brother extend?;)

Archived