Wiil Bologna Replace Lobster on Formal Nights?

miched

On this side of the pond we spell it as you have written it, but it pronounced "baloney." A rather inexpensive deli meat similar to Italian Mortadella. Probably ate my weight in Bologna when I was younger:D.

An 'for you information factoid', my mother (born 1904) use to tell us that she would be sent to the lobster pool as a child with 50c; and would come back with a large bucket of Lobsters. Lobster was a food for the poor!!! Then one time the Rockefellers had a large socialite party and SERVED LOBSTERS, much to the horror of the guests. But if the Rockefeller did it, then it must be OK, thus started the trend for the upper crust to serve Lobster. My mother said that was the end of cheap Lobster!! She swears it was true. And now you know. Lancet

Love this added little item of history involving the Rockefellers. AND, it makes sense as the Rockefellers were closely connected to the area of Maine around Bar Harbor with their summer "cottages" there among their rich friends who sailed up there away from the summer heat of New York City. This part of Maine is where so many lobsters were/are harvested. Acadia National Park was the first National Park East of the Mississippi and was pushed from 1915 to 1933 by John D. Rockefeller, Jr., who financed, designed, and constructed of a network of carriage trails, granite bridges, and gate lodges there that still stand throughout this beautiful park. That lobster-Rockefeller connection makes good sense, historically.

THANKS, Lancet, for posting! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 91,415 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Acadia Park is absolutely gorgeous and not to be missed on a trip or cruise to Bar Harbor. The views of the surrounding bays, mountains, etc are breathtaking. We haven't gone up in several years and this thread now has me thinking it is about time. Early Fall is especially pretty also.

Oysters used to be food only the poor would eat, that has also changed.

Yes, apprentices had it written into their indentures (contract) that they could be served oysters no more than 3 times a week! :)

On my most recent Celebrity cruise, they did indeed replace lobster with bologna on the last formal night. As a nice touch, the waiters sang a little song....

My bologna has a first name, it's O-S-C-A-R

My bologna has a second name, its M-A-Y-E-R

I love to eat it every day, and if you ask me why I'll say

'Cause Oscar Mayer has a way with B-O-L-O-G-N-A!

;););););)

On this side of the pond we spell it as you have written it, but it pronounced "baloney." A rather inexpensive deli meat similar to Italian Mortadella. Probably ate my weight in Bologna when I was younger:D.

Inexpensive??? Not even close. Most delis sell it about $4.99 a pound on sale! Really good Kosher beef bologna is nearly $9 a pound.

That ain't cheap! :eek:

Ahhh thank you. Know what baloney is, never thought of spelling it bologna!

Was imagining something along the lines of spaghetti Bolognese!

We have something similar called haslet (at least in this part of the UK). Legend has it that it is made from offcuts swept off the butchers floor, and disguised with herbs and spices.

Had the best lobster tails ever on the Celebrity Constellation in May. DH ordered 2 so that he could have some of my filet. Unbelievably delicious, large and sweet - no butter needed. Can you believe that we weren't able to fiinish them? They were double! Better than the ones we had in Bar Harbor!

You were in Bar Harbor and ate frozen lobster tails:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Having eaten freshly steamed cold water lobsters that were put into the pot live, in places like New England and Atlantic Canada, I can't comprehend the mystique of the frozen lobster tails on a cruise ship.

Personally, I like the meat in the large claw the best and there are treasures in the body of the lobster that those who have never gone past a frozen lobster tail will never enjoy.

I skip the "lobster" on the cruise ship menu. To me it's like believing surimi tastes the same as fresh lump crab meat.

We have something similar called haslet (at least in this part of the UK). Legend has it that it is made from offcuts swept off the butchers floor, and disguised with herbs and spices.

Here in Canada it is known as the dregs of thr meat. Ugh!!!!!

Had the best lobster tails ever on the Celebrity Constellation in May. DH ordered 2 so that he could have some of my filet. Unbelievably delicious, large and sweet - no butter needed. Can you believe that we weren't able to fiinish them? They were double! Better than the ones we had in Bar Harbor!

Hope they're the same on the next cruise. BTW, our last port was St. Thomas ????

I did not even know they sold "lobster tails" in Bar Harbor since this is the prime area for fresh (live until cooking) Maine Lobster. Hard to imagine anyone would ever order lobster tail in Maine.

Hank

I did not even know they sold "lobster tails" in Bar Harbor since this is the prime area for fresh (live until cooking) Maine Lobster. Hard to imagine anyone would ever order lobster tail in Maine.

Hank

I'm pretty sure it can't be done Hank. I think even asking for a lobster tail in Mane is grounds for tar-and-feathering!:D

Acadia Park is absolutely gorgeous and not to be missed on a trip or cruise to Bar Harbor. The views of the surrounding bays, mountains, etc are breathtaking. We haven't gone up in several years and this thread now has me thinking it is about time. Early Fall is especially pretty also.

The good lobster pound is on US 1 in Trenton, Maine.

Now y'all have me thinking about next September. We are driving to MA in our little RV to leave it and the dog with daughter in western MA. We'll fly to London for B2B cruise that sails to Boston in mid-September. We might just take that camper a little north and chow down on some lobster.

There should be excellent leaf-peeping on the way home to way-the-heck-south Texas, too.

Sorry for stupid question from UK. What is Bologna?

Oysters used to be food only the poor would eat, that has also changed.

Balogna is what use to be a cheap lunch meat. It has become kind of another nastalgia thing as most have the "fond memories" of eating it as children because of the cost factor. The end or ends were a few pennies cheaper per pound because they were a little deformed and because it was the end it was also the oldest, the meat market would always cut the link in two and work from the middle to the end. To save money some people would ask if there were any ends available. The old saying was they were so wealthy that they only ate the center cuts. People would buy it either sliced or in large chunk that they would cut up to fry or grind with pickles, add miracle whip and make Bologna sandwich spread. Now they make bologna with various qualities and variety of meat. The cheap stuff has fillers and who knows what else.

Basically a hot dog is just a small version of Balogna. And hot dogs come is all different qualities.

"Off cuts" is putting it mildly. I often think of balogna as large sliced hot dogs, which is essentially what it is. I once toured a hot dog factory, and have not eaten one since!

The good lobster pound is on US 1 in Trenton, Maine.

Now y'all have me thinking about next September. We are driving to MA in our little RV to leave it and the dog with daughter in western MA. We'll fly to London for B2B cruise that sails to Boston in mid-September. We might just take that camper a little north and chow down on some lobster.

There should be excellent leaf-peeping on the way home to way-the-heck-south Texas, too.

Kellie, where do ya'll live in TX? My big brother (lol) lives in Brenham. We visited them this spring in blue bonnet season and loved it. We really had a lot of fun; great area!

You can leave the RV and the dog with us; we live 15 mins south of Boston. We'll give it a test drive to Maine for you while you are at sea;)

For me, the best part of a lobster is in the knuckles; lots of work but best flavor and texture IMHO.

Yes, I think frozen lobster tails are against the law in Bar Harbor!;)

My daughter went to college at the U of Maine in Orono (Bangor) We would visit her for a half hour and then high tail it to Bar Harbor to drown our tutition blues in beer and lobster!:D

Archived