Wiil Bologna Replace Lobster on Formal Nights?

miched

During the 1700s and 1800s, many areas of new england had limits for prison/jail food. Prisoners could ONLY be fed lobster a MAXIMUM of 3 times per week because it was considered inhumane to force people to eat that disgusting bottom feeding creature! :eek: My, how times change:)

Wish there was a "like" button!:D

Lesson number one in business class. Historically lobster was a cheap food and was only eaten locally. It became an expensive commodity when it could be transported cooled and/or frozen, causing demand to go up and therefore price.

Solstice TA in April of this year, for my birthday dinner, I had THE most incredible scallops EVER. Absolutely UNBELIEVABLE. Slightly browned on the outside and melt-in-your-mouth tender inside. Along with the filet, shrimp, steak tartare, salad, olives, cheeses, soup, bread and dessert, it was one of the best meals I have had in 55 years. :) (And I probably gained only 2-3 pounds...:eek:)

ARE YOU KIDDING me, navyrotorhead?

Better than what we got in the US NAVY?

I still remember those meals, and, except, for the standing in line part to get them, they were scrumpscious meals.. :p

The OPs post made me smile. We have also never understood the big deal about the so-so warm water lobster tail served on most cruise ships and personally would never buy this stuff on land. That being said, we think fresh Maine (or Canadian) lobster is a real treat with an absolutely delicious (and unique) flavor. The lobster market has not been doing well the past couple of years and buying fresh lobster in New England is now pretty reasonable (hence the bologna comment). Like many seafood lovers we crave certain types of fresh seafood products of which lobster is just one option. In our part of the country (close to the Chesapeake) fresh crabs (and good crabcakes) are the popular seafood treat.

Hank

Isn't this when someone comes on the thread and tells us how terrible the Lobster is, how great it use to be, and how important it is to understand that Celebrity is ripping us off, and we shouldn't be joking about it????

Needless to say, I've been told that more than a few times....and I didn't eat any of that stuff that day! Go Figure.

Den

• Lobster on cruise ships is terrible these days!:mad:
  • It used to be wonderful!
  • C'mon folks, Celebrity is just ripping us off with this rubber lobster!! We should plan a revolt!:mad::mad:
  • I take my food very seriously. I never joke about food, and I don't think anyone else should either!!! Shame on you!!!:mad::mad:

How'd I do? Did I cover all the important points? ;)

The OPs post made me smile. We have also never understood the big deal about the so-so warm water lobster tail served on most cruise ships and personally would never buy this stuff on land. That being said, we think fresh Maine (or Canadian) lobster is a real treat with an absolutely delicious (and unique) flavor. The lobster market has not been doing well the past couple of years and buying fresh lobster in New England is now pretty reasonable (hence the bologna comment). Like many seafood lovers we crave certain types of fresh seafood products of which lobster is just one option. In our part of the country (close to the Chesapeake) fresh crabs (and good crabcakes) are the popular seafood treat. Hank

YES, Hank, I love great crab cakes, too!! Agree that cold-water lobster, such as from Maine are super and much better. Below are some visuals from enjoying the "real thing" there near Bar Harbor.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 91,280 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

From near Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park in Maine, here’s a little sampling from the Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound. You pick your own fresh lobster just off of the boat, they weigh it, then put in hot sea water fired by birch wood. Here’s the staff guy pulling it out of the boiling water and making it ready to be on my plate. Super wonderful. Don’t get it like this on cruise ships. Enjoy!!:

MaineLobsterSign.jpg

MaineLobsterCooking.jpg

MaineLobsterServed.jpg

One thing's for sure.... The folks at Oscar Mayer will be very happy if this ever happened. However, I don't think it will cut the Mustard.

No matter how you slice it, I'm confident this thread will be full of Baloney :)

Thank you, Andy, for getting to the meat of the subject.

Anyway, if I go for bologna, I'll just go to Joe & Frank's Market on Archer in Chicago. ;) Since I'm not a lobster fan, that will do for me! :p (Seriously, it's awesome.)

up to about 25 years ago ribs and chicken wings were scrap in the meat and poultry industry. Today, they are amongst the most valuable parts

Great point about ribs and chicken wings!! Love them both. BUT, in that previously marginal category of items, that are now popular, add . . . Beef Brisket!! Super wonderful Texas-style treat!! It takes slow-cooking to make the previously wasted beef brisket so good.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 91,280 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

• Lobster on cruise ships is terrible these days!:mad:
  • It used to be wonderful!
  • C'mon folks, Celebrity is just ripping us off with this rubber lobster!! We should plan a revolt!:mad::mad:
  • I take my food very seriously. I never joke about food, and I don't think anyone else should either!!! Shame on you!!!:mad::mad:

How'd I do? Did I cover all the important points? ;)

Thank you for restoring my faith in our ability to completely ignore we are posting and sharing about vacationing and having fun cruising!

Den

The Solstice did serve lobster last week-just not on formal night. It ws the second to last night on ship our cruise (June 16th to 28th) I think it is a good idea since so many do not want to participate in dressing up on formal night. This way we do not get people coming to dinner dressed way to casually because they must have their lobster.

Isn't this when someone comes on the thread and tells us how terrible the Lobster is, how great it use to be, and how important it is to understand that Celebrity is ripping us off, and we shouldn't be joking about it????

Needless to say, I've been told that more than a few times....and I didn't eat any of that stuff that day! Go Figure.

Den

I'm a vegetarian so I never eat it-however I prefer looking at the tails than a whole lobster looking back at me as hubby eats it. There is a restaurant about an hour from Myrtle Beach that serves whole lobsters (now these are smaller lobsters about the size of the tails served on cruiseships but still not fun seeing them looking at me) that hubby and our friends like.

Had the best lobster tails ever on the Celebrity Constellation in May. DH ordered 2 so that he could have some of my filet. Unbelievably delicious, large and sweet - no butter needed. Can you believe that we weren't able to fiinish them? They were double! Better than the ones we had in Bar Harbor!

Hope they're the same on the next cruise. BTW, our last port was St. Thomas ????

Had the best lobster tails ever on the Celebrity Constellation in May. DH ordered 2 so that he could have some of my filet. Unbelievably delicious, large and sweet - no butter needed. Can you believe that we weren't able to fiinish them? They were double! Better than the ones we had in Bar Harbor!

Hope they're the same on the next cruise. BTW, our last port was St. Thomas ????

Now that is the way I like lobster. I would have ordered two also. I only have gotten it like that a few times. Scollops are normally cooked very good, but sometimes it is like overcooked shrimp and lobster.

I do love the filet, but even that can be "meally" sometimes. I have returned two in the past at Chops on RCCL.

One thing's for sure.... The folks at Oscar Mayer will be very happy if this ever happened. However, I don't think it will cut the Mustard.

No matter how you slice it, I'm confident this thread will be full of Baloney :)

Andy-- you gave me my giggle for the day--loved your post!!!

HCAT

An 'for you information factoid', my mother (born 1904) use to tell us that she would be sent to the lobster pool as a child with 50c; and would come back with a large bucket of Lobsters. Lobster was a food for the poor!!!

Then one time the Rockefellers had a large socialite party and SERVED LOBSTERS, much to the horror of the guests. But if the Rockefeller did it, then it must be OK, thus started the trend for the upper crust to serve Lobster. My mother said that was the end of cheap Lobster!! She swears it was true.

And now you know.

Lancet

Archived