Wiil Bologna Replace Lobster on Formal Nights?

miched

Just read where Bologna cost more than soft shell lobster in Boston. I could never understand the fascination with lobster except that it is pricey. I have said many times that if lobster was really cheap would people still get excited over it? According to history it was actually something that only the very poor ate.

Now that Bologna cost more than lobster and if both were offered on formal night which one would you choose?

I could see it now being offered on the menu, Thick Center Cut Seared Bologna with sautéed onions served on a bed of hand cut diced browned skin on baby potatoes with a delicate mustard sauce. :D

LOL -- hate to admit it, but I had a similar reaction when I heard that pork belly had been added to the menu! :eek: And yes, I am aware that the "snout to tail" movement is becoming widely popular in fine dining restaurants. But, it's definitely not for me! :rolleyes: Please just bring me a lobster tail and a properly cooked filet mignon -- and I'll be happy. :cool:

Just read where Bologna cost more than soft shell lobster in Boston. I could never understand the fascination with lobster except that it is pricey. I have said many times that if lobster was really cheap would people still get excited over it? According to history it was actually something that only the very poor ate.

Now that Bologna cost more than lobster and if both were offered on formal night which one would you choose?

I could see it now being offered on the menu, Thick Center Cut Seared Bologna with sautéed onions served on a bed of hand cut diced browned skin on baby potatoes with a delicate mustard sauce. :D

One thing's for sure.... The folks at Oscar Mayer will be very happy if this ever happened. However, I don't think it will cut the Mustard.

No matter how you slice it, I'm confident this thread will be full of Baloney :)

one thing's for sure.... The folks at oscar mayer will be very happy if this ever happened. However, i don't think it will cut the mustard.

No matter how you slice it, i'm confident this thread will be full of baloney :)

lol

During the 1700s and 1800s, many areas of new england had limits for prison/jail food. Prisoners could ONLY be fed lobster a MAXIMUM of 3 times per week because it was considered inhumane to force people to eat that disgusting bottom feeding creature! :eek: My, how times change:)

One thing's for sure.... The folks at Oscar Mayer will be very happy if this ever happened. However, I don't think it will cut the Mustard.

No matter how you slice it, I'm confident this thread will be full of Baloney :)

Guess I'll have to CATCH UP on the prices...

Baloney,

Lobster is fantastic.

One thing's for sure.... The folks at Oscar Mayer will be very happy if this ever happened. However, I don't think it will cut the Mustard. No matter how you slice it, I'm confident this thread will be full of Baloney :)

navyrotorhead: During the 1700s and 1800s' date=' many areas of new england had limits for prison/jail food. Prisoners could ONLY be fed lobster a MAXIMUM of 3 times per week because it was considered inhumane to force people to eat that disgusting bottom feeding creature! My, how times change [/quote']

Super cute and funny comments by Host Andy. Interesting history by navyrotorhead.

I still love lobster. It's a great way to get that wonderful drawn better for tasty enjoyment. Part of the fun is digging it out of the shell and accomplishing the challenging of getting it from plate to mouth.

After five plus days without electric power in Central Ohio, I'm just happy to have air conditioning back, electric/Internet working and enjoying whatever food is possible. Plus, cold beverages!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 91,146 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Just read where Bologna cost more than soft shell lobster in Boston. I could never understand the fascination with lobster except that it is pricey.

I don't know about Bologna, but Soft Shell Lobster always is cheaper than Hard Shell (less meat per pound of lobster), and both are always cheaper than just the tail, which contains more meat per pound than the whole critter.

I'll take the lobster any day. I must be one of the very poor.

Super cute and funny comments by Host Andy. Interesting history by navyrotorhead.

I still love lobster.

After five plus days without electric power in Central Ohio, I'm just happy to have air conditioning back, electric/Internet working and enjoying whatever food is possible. Plus, cold beverages!!

I love lobster too. Not real wild about the frozen lobster tail served on cruise ships (which is different than the Atlantic lobster that's so cheap right now).

Am glad you got your power back. My Dad (Worthington) got his back today too.

LOL -- hate to admit it, but I had a similar reaction when I heard that pork belly had been added to the menu! :eek: And yes, I am aware that the "snout to tail" movement is becoming widely popular in fine dining restaurants. But, it's definitely not for me! :rolleyes: Please just bring me a lobster tail and a properly cooked filet mignon -- and I'll be happy. :cool:

Pork belly is bacon prepared in fancy ways.

Waldo, Ohio has a tavern that is famous for its fried bologna sandwiches. Stop by any day and wait in line for a table and converse with people from all over the state and the Midwest who are there for this delicacy! This is a destination place because who could find Waldo otherwise :). There are some whod take fried bologna over lobster any day.

Waldo, Ohio has a tavern that is famous for its fried bologna sandwiches. Stop by any day and wait in line for a table and converse with people from all over the state and the Midwest who are there for this delicacy! This is a destination place because who could find Waldo otherwise :). There are some whod take fried bologna over lobster any day.

YES! Have been to Waldo and that charming place famed for the fried bologna sandwiches. It's about 35 minutes north of where we live in North Columbus. It's right near Marion, Ohio, where my wife grew up. Very, very good! BUT, I still like lobster dipped in butter better.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 91,146 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Do you think they'll just have a standard preparation of bologna or do you think I'll be able to get Bologna Thermador?

I'm also looking forward to our night in the specialty restaurant so I can try out their specialty: Murano Bologna!

Personally I will just stick with the filet mignon or prime rib. BEEF !!!!!

A good Filet is much better than a Lobster you have to dip in butter to get a good taste. I prefer large scallops to lobster. To me a great dinner is an 8 ounce filet with four or five large tender scallops. H

A good Filet is much better than a Lobster you have to dip in butter to get a good taste. I prefer large scallops to lobster. To me a great dinner is an 8 ounce filet with four or five large tender scallops. H

Solstice TA in April of this year, for my birthday dinner, I had THE most incredible scallops EVER. Absolutely UNBELIEVABLE. Slightly browned on the outside and melt-in-your-mouth tender inside. Along with the filet, shrimp, steak tartare, salad, olives, cheeses, soup, bread and dessert, it was one of the best meals I have had in 55 years. :) (And I probably gained only 2-3 pounds...:eek:)

Don't know about the bologna but would not miss the lobster at all. It is often hit and miss, the latter more than the former.

We often find it overcooked and bland-on Celebrity and on other cruise lines. We don't bother with it any more.

Solstice TA in April of this year, for my birthday dinner, I had THE most incredible scallops EVER. Absolutely UNBELIEVABLE. Slightly browned on the outside and melt-in-your-mouth tender inside. Along with the filet, shrimp, steak tartare, salad, olives, cheeses, soup, bread and dessert, it was one of the best meals I have had in 55 years. :) (And I probably gained only 2-3 pounds...:eek:)

Thats what I'am talking about. H

I would think most of us CC'ers would just Love Balogna (well, Baloney) since we share it so much on these forums!!

Den

I just don't get it.

Everyone keeps telling me I'm full of bologna.

I don't doubt them but my memory must be going as I don't remember eating any and I can't figure out why I'm still so hungry:confused:

I just don't get it.

Everyone keeps telling me I'm full of bologna.

I don't doubt them but my memory must be going as I don't remember eating any and I can't figure out why I'm still so hungry:confused:

Isn't this when someone comes on the thread and tells us how terrible the Lobster is, how great it use to be, and how important it is to understand that Celebrity is ripping us off, and we shouldn't be joking about it????

Needless to say, I've been told that more than a few times....and I didn't eat any of that stuff that day! Go Figure.

Den

Archived