Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

I found a post by TLCOhio. I copied and pasted it below:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1714741

Your FIRST STEP is pick an outside web source that will store or “host” your pictures to be posted. Cruise Critic does not have the space to do larger pictures on their site. You can check such places as photobucket.com, imageshack.com, photoshow.com, flickr.com, picasa.google.com etc. I’ve used photobucket.com and have been pleased with how they upload, etc. SECOND, you need to make an export of your picture in a size such as around 1000 pixel wide by about 700 to your desktop of your computer. That’s the approximate size that I use for this purpose. If you make your file too big for posting, then it slows the process and takes long to upload, etc. THIRD, you use this outside web host to which you upload these different pictures sitting on your desktop. FOURTH, after uploading each picture, you will make a copy of that imbedded address in your file for future posting purposes. It will have have the square parentheses or bracket symbols before and after the capital letter IMG at the start and end of this location on your photo storage site.

Then as you want to post each different picture, you would, FIFTH STEP, copy and paste that imbedded address file for each picture as a part of your message on the CC Boards. In my files, I also have brief written description of each picture and have them grouped by the different city or country locations. With this imbedded file address, the reader on these boards doesn’t have to check on anything or paste to their web browser. It just pops up showing the picture. Does this help? Let us know how it works out and/or any added questions. It will hopefully pop up as these couple of pictures do below. You can preview your post to see if it's working OK before doing the actual post to these CC boards.

I found a post by TLCOhio. I copied and pasted it below:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1714741

Your FIRST STEP is pick an outside web source that will store or “host” your pictures to be posted. Cruise Critic does not have the space to do larger pictures on their site. You can check such places as photobucket.com, imageshack.com, photoshow.com, flickr.com, picasa.google.com etc. I’ve used photobucket.com and have been pleased with how they upload, etc. SECOND, you need to make an export of your picture in a size such as around 1000 pixel wide by about 700 to your desktop of your computer. That’s the approximate size that I use for this purpose. If you make your file too big for posting, then it slows the process and takes long to upload, etc. THIRD, you use this outside web host to which you upload these different pictures sitting on your desktop. FOURTH, after uploading each picture, you will make a copy of that imbedded address in your file for future posting purposes. It will have have the square parentheses or bracket symbols before and after the capital letter IMG at the start and end of this location on your photo storage site.

Then as you want to post each different picture, you would, FIFTH STEP, copy and paste that imbedded address file for each picture as a part of your message on the CC Boards. In my files, I also have brief written description of each picture and have them grouped by the different city or country locations. With this imbedded file address, the reader on these boards doesn’t have to check on anything or paste to their web browser. It just pops up showing the picture. Does this help? Let us know how it works out and/or any added questions. It will hopefully pop up as these couple of pictures do below. You can preview your post to see if it's working OK before doing the actual post to these CC boards.

Thanks for the help. I will try to do that this weekend.

That lighter dress would look nice in a different color scheme with the outer panels very shear material with corners rounded off or as one piece over the skirt and the hem 3/4 length. Boy, I wish I knew how to sew clothes! I bet you could easily take patterns and adjust to hide things like extra skin in front of underarm, and make pants that reach past the ankles, etc.

I love reading these posts...it inspires me to search you tube for lessons to move past rectangular curtains and yelling at my sewing machine because it frequently decides to make messes where stitches should be.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

That lighter dress would look nice in a different color scheme with the outer panels very shear material with corners rounded off or as one piece over the skirt and the hem 3/4 length. Boy, I wish I knew how to sew clothes! I bet you could easily take patterns and adjust to hide things like extra skin in front of underarm, and make pants that reach past the ankles, etc.

I love reading these posts...it inspires me to search you tube for lessons to move past rectangular curtains and yelling at my sewing machine because it frequently decides to make messes where stitches should be.

Joann Fabrics has sewing classes, I think. You should check your local one.

And, I think we all have the "thread monster" in our sewing machines! :D:D

I agree with pcur and take a class in Joanns. The best way to start making clothes it to start with something very easy. I still look for east sewing patterns. I love elestic waist pants and they are easy to make. And can look nice.

I love this pants pattern from Vogue. You can leave off the pocket, or make a simple rectangle one, if you like.

http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v8584-products-9972.php?page_id=264

If you are having trouble with your machine have it looked at. Make sure your clean it ofter.

I got a new (well, it is new to me) sewing machine table. We have a very small condo for our wnter home, there for little space for sewing. We went to our church sale and I found a small sewing table. The machine was taken out of it, which made me happy. It was the perfect size. About 36 by 20 inches and has two drawers. It is solid wood. It looks like it may be from the 1940's or 1950's. I am so happy for my find. I paid $20. for it.

This weekend, I finished hemming the formal dress. Then I cut out a blouse and nightgown. I finished the blouse except for buttons and button holes because I haven't purchased the buttons yet. It's a casual, tropic shirt. I came close to finishing the nightgown but I have one arm hole and the hem to finish. I really need to get some pictures on here! :o

These posts are inspiring me to start sewing again. I made almost all of my clothes when I was in high school and college and sewed for my kids when they were small. I've made more costumes (for Halloween, Theatrical productions, etc) than I can name. Other than the occasional decorative item (curtains, pillows,etc), I've not sewed much in years. Now that I have granddaughters. I want to sew for them. My machine is old and outdated, and I think it's time for a new one. What brand and model would you ladies recommend?.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

These posts are inspiring me to start sewing again. I made almost all of my clothes when I was in high school and college and sewed for my kids when they were small. I've made more costumes (for Halloween, Theatrical productions, etc) than I can name. Other than the occasional decorative item (curtains, pillows,etc), I've not sewed much in years. Now that I have granddaughters. I want to sew for them. My machine is old and outdated, and I think it's time for a new one. What brand and model would you ladies recommend?.

There are so many great machine out there, in all different prices. I just brought this machine to use in my Fl home.

http://new.husqvarnaviking.com/en-US/Machines/SAPPHIRE-930

Here is their line of machines.

http://new.husqvarnaviking.com/en-US/Machines

Back north, I all so use Viking machines. I also use a surger to close up the seams.

Edited by geocruiser

Is it difficult to sew with a serger? I just purchased one of those computerized Singer machines and now I'm wondering if I made a mistake and should have purchased a serger instead?

Also, do any of you have a problem with today's patterns? I swear they haven't changed their sizing since the 1950's. Here's the problem I have: my sister is a straight 18 in everything---she can fit into a 16 in some things if they're cut generously or if it's a stretchy knit. I know that patterns are a lot smaller than today's vanity sizing, so I cut the pattern in a size 24. When she tried it on (I had only used large stitches in case I needed to make it smaller) she couldn't get the dress over her hips. Now come on----a size 18 person who can't get into a size 24 pattern? Are they really that small nowadays? I used to sew everything when I was in high school and college and just recently returned to sewing again, but I can't believe the patterns are so small.

I just saw a Janome machine for $9000 !!!!!! Holy Cow !!!!! I can buy a whole lot of clothes for that price. Must be for professionals only.

Edited by kitty9

Is it difficult to sew with a serger? I just purchased one of those computerized Singer machines and now I'm wondering if I made a mistake and should have purchased a serger instead?

Also, do any of you have a problem with today's patterns? I swear they haven't changed their sizing since the 1950's. Here's the problem I have: my sister is a straight 18 in everything---she can fit into a 16 in some things if they're cut generously or if it's a stretchy knit. I know that patterns are a lot smaller than today's vanity sizing, so I cut the pattern in a size 24. When she tried it on (I had only used large stitches in case I needed to make it smaller) she couldn't get the dress over her hips. Now come on----a size 18 person who can't get into a size 24 pattern? Are they really that small nowadays? I used to sew everything when I was in high school and college and just recently returned to sewing again, but I can't believe the patterns are so small.

I just saw a Janome machine for $9000 !!!!!! Holy Cow !!!!! I can buy a whole lot of clothes for that price. Must be for professionals only.

It would be very hard to sew clothing with just a serger. For me a serger is used to finish off (over cast seams). I would think it would be impossible to put a zipper in using a serger. I most all ways use the cutter while sewing on my serger. It finishes my seams off nicely with out haveing to do a French seam.

As for pattern sizes, they run differently from ready made clothing. I found that out the first time I went to make something and brought a pattern in my dress size. It was way too small. The best way to get as close to your true pattern size is to measure your self and look at the back of the pattern envelope and then pick your size. The pattern size is all ways a higher number that your normal dress size. Don't know why, but it is.

Some sewing machines can be very costly. Now a days most people sew for a hobby, not to save money. Even the price of fabric can be costly!

I just read this for some hints.

http://www.sewmamasew.com/2008/05/patterns-demystified/

http://oliverands.com/blog/2013/11/finding-your-correct-pattern-size.html

Edited by geocruiser

Mousey,

I was in Joann's yesterday. They did have some seersucker fabric.

On line they had this.

http://www.joann.com/sew-classics-into-spring-seersucker-cotton-fabric/xprd893123.html#prefn1=isProject&prefn2=collection&prefv2=Seersucker%7CSpecialty+Cotton&prefv1=false&start=5

In the store it came in green, blue, grey striped seersucker. I have also made them in cotton and they came out fine. They also had some plaid (white and blue) seersucker. I plan to make a pair in white and navy and red.

The navy looks like this, but is a seersucker. And I plan the pockets to be in the same fabric but in red. The bag will be made of both fabrics.

http://www.joann.com/fabric/quilting/keepsake-calico-fabric/#prefn1=isProject&prefn2=theme&prefv2=Checks%20%26%20Plaids&prefv1=false

http://www.joann.com/fabric/quilting/keepsake-calico-fabric/#prefn1=isProject&prefn2=theme&prefv2=Checks%20%26%20Plaids&prefv1=false

How to post a picture. Go to post #7

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1714741

Edited by geocruiser

There are so many great machine out there, in all different prices. I just brought this machine to use in my Fl home.

http://new.husqvarnaviking.com/en-US/Machines/SAPPHIRE-930

Here is their line of machines.

http://new.husqvarnaviking.com/en-US/Machines

Back north, I all so use Viking machines. I also use a surger to close up the seams.

Thanks. This gives me a good star on my research.

Thanks. This gives me a good star on my research.

I did a lot of research before buying my machines too. Back north, I have an older Viking embroidery machine ( DESIGNER 1) It works just fine. But now the computer part of the new machine is much better that what I have. But I don't use the embroidery part of my machine much. My fabric choices are so busy that there is no place to do that kind of work. I sew clothes for my cruise wear. Tropical prints most of the time. So down here in Florida I got a machine that has no embroidery, but lot of features for sewing ease.

Make sure you try the machine out for a test drive or two with fabric that you like to sew on.

Edited by geocruiser

Cotton voile skirt I just made. Not sure if it's coming on my upcoming cruise due to it's wrinkle factor, but it's a maybe. I drafted it myself with a pattern drafting book I got as a Christmas gift. Basic, but it fits well and will be a great addition to my TNT (tried and true)patterns. <a href=IMG_0852.jpg' alt='IMG_0852.jpg'>

Hi everyone!

I've been lurking a bit.

I need to get my machine fixed. I think someone played with the tension at some point, now it's all wonky. It's a newer Singer with some bells and whistles. Does not sew as well as Mom's simple Singer from the 60's. Hers has the pink football attachment for buttonholes. No new machine makes button holes like those beauties.

Mom just brought over some dresses I made in college. Hopefully I can still sew as well as I did then.

Anyways--

Been looking around for a reversible skirt pattern with an elastic waist. (I bought one several sizes ago:() Any pattern ideas? Thinking of making it in georgette or similar. Going to HI in October and don't feel like wearing shorts/capris all the time.

Where do you get fabric? Almost all of our stores closed down around here. Hate to buy from the 'net. Need to feel it first.

Patterns have to be adjusted these days because the pattern makers use computer, not fit models.

Cotton voile skirt I just made. Not sure if it's coming on my upcoming cruise due to it's wrinkle factor, but it's a maybe. I drafted it myself with a pattern drafting book I got as a Christmas gift. Basic, but it fits well and will be a great addition to my TNT (tried and true)patterns. <a href=IMG_0852.jpg' alt='IMG_0852.jpg'>

WOW! What a great skirt. It looks wonderful on you. Take it on the cruise with you. I think that it is wonderful that you made the pattern. I have never done that before. The fit is perfect.

Edited by geocruiser

Hi everyone!

I've been lurking a bit.

I need to get my machine fixed. I think someone played with the tension at some point, now it's all wonky. It's a newer Singer with some bells and whistles. Does not sew as well as Mom's simple Singer from the 60's. Hers has the pink football attachment for buttonholes. No new machine makes button holes like those beauties.

Mom just brought over some dresses I made in college. Hopefully I can still sew as well as I did then.

Anyways--

Been looking around for a reversible skirt pattern with an elastic waist. (I bought one several sizes ago:() Any pattern ideas? Thinking of making it in georgette or similar. Going to HI in October and don't feel like wearing shorts/capris all the time.

Where do you get fabric? Almost all of our stores closed down around here. Hate to buy from the 'net. Need to feel it first.

Patterns have to be adjusted these days because the pattern makers use computer, not fit models.

I love reversible skirts. I have one witch I brought in St Thomas. It is a wrap-a-round circle skirt. I all ways want to make one. One layer is longer than the other. I just looked for a pattern for one and found this:

https://www.kitschbitsch.com.au/subscribe/how-to-sew-a-reversible-wrap-skirt/

I would think all most any skirt pattern could work, if the right fabric is used.

Thanks everyone! Wore it to dinner last night and it didn't wrinkle as much as I had expected. The underlining I used did the trick!

What a great idea for a reversible skirt, Geocruiser! I'm putting that idea on my possible projects list!