Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

That's lovely! If you go to patternreview.com and search on this pattern you can get some helpful information. It seems the sizing is a bit large, especially in the bodice. Still.....I think it's beautiful and the version you like is my favorite.

Thank you! I had no idea that site eXisted!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

:D Oh wow, Thank you pcur, for all the addresses. Hopefully I will find these places. There is another lady in our group that quilts so I will bring this idea up to her and I think she will be excited also. I am going to print out the addresses and put them in the file.. Thank you again.

msjekyl--The black and white is gorgeous and I like the back of the printed gown..Good luck and hope to see a picture of it when finished.

I wish the other boards were as friendly and helpful as this one is..

Good luck in all your projects..;)

I found a pattern I love! I think anyway lol. Tell me what you think! I'm leaning toward the black and white one. y9e3uru9.jpg

I made that exact dress in a dark eggplant color and I mad the white in the back of white sequined material and made them a little longer so that they were the same length as the dress. I will see if I can find a picture of the dress and post it. And yes like the other poster said the bodice does run larger.

P7260834_zps63f156ac.jpg

P7260837_zps1342d23a.jpg

Hope this helps

Gerry

Edited by TNGALOHA

I made that exact dress in a dark eggplant color and I mad the white in the back of white sequined material and made them a little longer so that they were the same length as the dress. I will see if I can find a picture of the dress and post it. And yes like the other poster said the bodice does run larger.

Gerry

I'd love to see it!

Its probably good the bodice runs a little big. Usually my problem is that the waist fits but not the bust. :/ thanks for letting me know!

I found a pattern I love! I think anyway lol. Tell me what you think! I'm leaning toward the black and white one. y9e3uru9.jpg

I love this, and I agree about the black/white version. I'm wondering what fabric you will use for the drape in the back? Satin, perhaps, if you want a draping effect. But, it you want it to "float" behind you, then I suggest chiffon. You can "cheat" and buy one of these, because if you use a single layer of chiffon for the maximum "float", then hemming the edges will be extremely tedious. I have this in white, and it's almost 6 feet long:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009YDTCEE/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I love this, and I agree about the black/white version. I'm wondering what fabric you will use for the drape in the back? Satin, perhaps, if you want a draping effect. But, it you want it to "float" behind you, then I suggest chiffon. You can "cheat" and buy one of these, because if you use a single layer of chiffon for the maximum "float", then hemming the edges will be extremely tedious. I have this in white, and it's almost 6 feet long:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009YDTCEE/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That is a brilliant "cheat"!

You can "cheat" and buy one of these, because if you use a single layer of chiffon for the maximum "float", then hemming the edges will be extremely tedious. I have this in white, and it's almost 6 feet long:

Very good point. That's a terrific suggestion. A baby hem could take hours at the iron and sewing machine. Even if you have a machine that does a rolled hem it can be an iffy process. I always manage to mess mine up.

That is an amazing suggestion! Thank you! Dang youre good. I have a surger too, is chiffon difficult to surge? I've never done that type of fabric. I would likely just do a rolled edge.

That is an amazing suggestion! Thank you! Dang youre good. I have a surger too, is chiffon difficult to surge? I've never done that type of fabric. I would likely just do a rolled edge.

I have many chiffon/georgette tops for hot weather, and I've had to do some sleeve hems with my little plain sewing machine, and I had to do it with just one fold to keep the finish flat, very light pressure on the foot, double stitching it, and then trim the little straggling threads. It looks fine, but it is a potentially disastrous way to do it.

I went crazy trying to find a white chiffon evening wrap/jacket to match up with a lovely top and pants I got, but could find nothing. I was seriously dreading making one, because it would be longish and flowy, and the hemming would take forever! Then, I found these shawls, got one, and then I found this. Can you imagine hemming this one? :eek:

http://www.lightinthebox.com/elegant-chiffon-evening-wedding-puncho-more-colors_p528374.html?litb_from=sysmail

I would say it depends on your serger and your fabric. Best advice would be to practice, practice, practice on some scraps. If you google "rolled hem on a serger" you'll get lots of suggestions, videos and tips. You often need to adjust the settings to get it just right.

I have many chiffon/georgette tops for hot weather, and I've had to do some sleeve hems with my little plain sewing machine, and I had to do it with just one fold to keep the finish flat, very light pressure on the foot, double stitching it, and then trim the little straggling threads. It looks fine, but it is a potentially disastrous way to do it.

I went crazy trying to find a white chiffon evening wrap/jacket to match up with a lovely top and pants I got, but could find nothing. I was seriously dreading making one, because it would be longish and flowy, and the hemming would take forever! Then, I found these shawls, got one, and then I found this. Can you imagine hemming this one? :eek:

http://www.lightinthebox.com/elegant-chiffon-evening-wedding-puncho-more-colors_p528374.html?litb_from=sysmail

Purrrrrrrrrr. That's lovely!

So glad I found this thread! I'm actually leaving on a cruise to the Caribbean this weekend so this past weekend I made two dresses for the cruise. I've only been sewing for a year but I've noticed practice makes perfect!

This is a link to the tutorial I used to make the first dress: http://sharonsews.blogspot.com/2011/06/diy-easy-to-sew-strapless-maxi-dress.html

I used a blue and white tropical/floral print and the only thing I did different was I added a halter strap around the neck that ties.

This is the link to the other tutorial I used:

http://sharonsews.blogspot.com/2011/08/sewing-tutorial-romantic-strapless.html

I used a white knit with some slight sparkle. I made quite a few changes to how I did mine. First I shortened it to knee length because the knit was quite heavy and I was worried that the elastic wouldn't hold. I also added Spaghetti Straps that tie above the shoulders and did two ruffles on the bottom.

These were very easy to make and the turned out great! I'll try to post some pictures of the ones I actually made later when I get home. :D

HI eery one,

We are back from ouor cruise nine days ago. Just got caught up with things. I am thinking of buy another sewing machine to sew my cruise wear on. Right now in my winter home I an using a Viking 415. A very basic machine. It still sew great but I want more bells on a machine. I do love Viking machines I own another one up north. I am looking at this one.

http://new.husqvarnaviking.com/en-US/Machines/SAPPHIRE-930

Any one else have it? And do you like it?

[quote=geocruiser;41644680

Any one else have it? And do you like it?

I don't have that machine but it looks very nice. I did a google search and found this: Go for a test drive and see what you think!

http://www.sewinginsight.com/viking/husqvarnaviking-sapphire-930-review/

I haven't managed to get very much sewing done recently but did complete a sweater to take on my Alaska cruise this summer. Here she is.....sorry for the blurry picture.

<a href=1955cooperphoto.jpg' alt='1955cooperphot

PurpleHays,

Happy to read that you granddaughter's blanket with the mitered corners came out goo. Did you get the one made for your grandson? And by the way, did you ever find your cat with the spool of orange thread?

Alowderphoto,

Love the gown pattern. The black and white looks great.

TNGALOHA,

The gown you made is beautiful. I hope some day to sew like that.

Keyofseas,

Happy to hear that you are sewing again. I tried a man's shirt only once for my DH. It came out good. He even wears it. How is your formal dress coming along?

Hpanowicz,

Cute pattern and great vedio. I like adding Spaghetti Straps.

msjekyl,

Your sweater is beautiful. What a great job. Thanks for the sewing machine links. What type of dress form do you use?

I used a product from a company called My Twin Dressform. I made it over 10 years ago and it was a lengthy process that involved tape, plaster and this spray foam product. It was time consuming but the finished product was a perfect twin of my body. It's too bad I don't still have the same "form" ;) I'm still the same weight but things have shifted around a little bit.

I haven't managed to get very much sewing done recently but did complete a sweater to take on my Alaska cruise this summer. Here she is.....sorry for the blurry picture.

Love the drape on that sweater! What pattern did you use?

I used a product from a company called My Twin Dressform. I made it over 10 years ago and it was a lengthy process that involved tape, plaster and this spray foam product. It was time consuming but the finished product was a perfect twin of my body. It's too bad I don't still have the same "form" ;) I'm still the same weight but things have shifted around a little bit.

Thanks for the info. I also would love to know the pattern you used.