Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

Well.......I started with the Nina Cardigan from Style Arc

http://www.stylearc.com.au/stylearc/index.php?page=shop.product_details&product_id=495&pop=0&option=com_virtuemart

I made this cardigan last year and found that the drape on the front fell towards my hips creating a wide appearance. Not what I wanted. However the back, shoulders and sleeves were good for me. So basically I redrafted the front pattern piece. I use the example of a online sewing buddy shown here.

http://jazz-couture.blogspot.com/2012/01/splendid-cardigan-interpretation-part_11.html

It really was pretty simple to do and essentially just added a rectangle to the bottom of the cardi bodice. I eliminated the two piece front from the original pattern. This cardi drapes toward the front and looks much more flattering on my body. I think if you have any cardi pattern at home you could easily alter it to look very similar.

Edited by msjekyl

Hello Ladies,

I stumbled across this thread looking for a Carnival Embroidery Logo. I just got done reading all 12 pages. Whew! I started taking notes and tried to keep topics together, then gave up.

I now have this thread in my favorites.

Let me introduce myself. My name is Denise. I love to sew and have been doing it for all my life, minus 8 years. Sewing is my first and most important thing. And I say that with lots of humor. I've been banished to my sewing room over the years. And a few times my family has made me shut the door. :) Sewing is my way of relaxing. The more stitches I need to rip, the calmer I get. When we built our house 27 years ago, the whole house was designed around my sewing room. It was the best investment we ever did.

Over the years the cost of sewing was more than buying clothes. The kids wanted T shirts and jeans. It wasn't worth my time so I took up quilting. Now I am a seamstress and a quilter.

I also don't finish projects. Mostly quilt projects. I love new techniques and will start a project just to learn the technique. Then it get organized in a tote and put on a shelf.

When my daughter was in a high school musical they needed help sewing costumes. They organized a meeting. I was the only one who showed up. After that year it was just me. And twenty years later I am still there. I love sewing costumes. It gives me a chance to challenge myself and to sew things I would never wear these days. I love sewing vintage clothing. The best part, the costumes don't have to fit perfect. They are moving so much. I have learned so much just trying to fit the kids. Guys have just as many problems as girls. No two bodies are the same. The worst part has been the Drama teacher. I have created a monster. He now knows sewing terminology. So when he has an idea on what a costume should look like, he talks my language. He will tell me to add piping, contrast yoke and bands etc. The worst one was 'I need you to make 5 white suits, not costumes, but they need to be tailored'. I was banned from rehearsals so I could spend all my time sewing. I ended up making 7! My most challenging costume was from the Musical Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat. I made two coats. A cotton coat that gets 'torn up' and then a new shinny coat. I also made an Egyptian Elvis costume. both were a lot of fun. I even made a Mini version as a gift for the Drama teacher. I will try and post pictures.

I also own a Embroidery Machine. Having that machine is a lot of fun.

I am busy right now sewing for our cruise in March. My parents, and daughter, son in law and granddaughter will be joining us. Our granddaughter will celebrate her first birthday on this cruise. So I am making clothes for her and playing with the embroidery machine to add fun stuff.

Well, I tend to go on and on so I will end now. I am trying to finish a nightgown for Valentines day. Is will never get done if I am on this computer.

denise

Hello Ladies,

I stumbled across this thread looking for a Carnival Embroidery Logo. I just got done reading all 12 pages. Whew! I started taking notes and tried to keep topics together, then gave up.

I now have this thread in my favorites.

Let me introduce myself. My name is Denise. I love to sew and have been doing it for all my life, minus 8 years. Sewing is my first and most important thing. And I say that with lots of humor. I've been banished to my sewing room over the years. And a few times my family has made me shut the door. :) Sewing is my way of relaxing. The more stitches I need to rip, the calmer I get. When we built our house 27 years ago, the whole house was designed around my sewing room. It was the best investment we ever did.

Over the years the cost of sewing was more than buying clothes. The kids wanted T shirts and jeans. It wasn't worth my time so I took up quilting. Now I am a seamstress and a quilter.

I also don't finish projects. Mostly quilt projects. I love new techniques and will start a project just to learn the technique. Then it get organized in a tote and put on a shelf.

When my daughter was in a high school musical they needed help sewing costumes. They organized a meeting. I was the only one who showed up. After that year it was just me. And twenty years later I am still there. I love sewing costumes. It gives me a chance to challenge myself and to sew things I would never wear these days. I love sewing vintage clothing. The best part, the costumes don't have to fit perfect. They are moving so much. I have learned so much just trying to fit the kids. Guys have just as many problems as girls. No two bodies are the same. The worst part has been the Drama teacher. I have created a monster. He now knows sewing terminology. So when he has an idea on what a costume should look like, he talks my language. He will tell me to add piping, contrast yoke and bands etc. The worst one was 'I need you to make 5 white suits, not costumes, but they need to be tailored'. I was banned from rehearsals so I could spend all my time sewing. I ended up making 7! My most challenging costume was from the Musical Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat. I made two coats. A cotton coat that gets 'torn up' and then a new shinny coat. I also made an Egyptian Elvis costume. both were a lot of fun. I even made a Mini version as a gift for the Drama teacher. I will try and post pictures.

I also own a Embroidery Machine. Having that machine is a lot of fun.

I am busy right now sewing for our cruise in March. My parents, and daughter, son in law and granddaughter will be joining us. Our granddaughter will celebrate her first birthday on this cruise. So I am making clothes for her and playing with the embroidery machine to add fun stuff.

Well, I tend to go on and on so I will end now. I am trying to finish a nightgown for Valentines day. Is will never get done if I am on this computer.

denise

Welcome Denise,

I am happy that you found this thread. Sounds like you have made lots of beautiful things. I have sewn very few costumes, for our church. They were fun to do. I have an Embroidery Machine in my house up north, but I don't use the Embroidery part very much. I sew on fabric that is all ways a busy print and would not look good with any more on it. But I do (wiht their logo on it) my nephew's lab coats for his medical practice. I like doing it for him. Did you get your nightgown finished?

PurpleHays,

Happy to read that you granddaughter's blanket with the mitered corners came out goo. Did you get the one made for your grandson? And by the way, did you ever find your cat with the spool of orange thread?

I got both of them done and mailed. Daughter likes her daughter's blanket, grandson loves his. I'm just waiting on them to send me pictures.

And no, never found the spool of orange thread. I'm sure it's hiding under a piece of furniture that I didn't move.

I got both of them done and mailed. Daughter likes her daughter's blanket, grandson loves his. I'm just waiting on them to send me pictures.

And no, never found the spool of orange thread. I'm sure it's hiding under a piece of furniture that I didn't move.

Happy to hear that the blanket you made are loved by all. I am going to start to.

Welcome Denise,

I am happy that you found this thread. Sounds like you have made lots of beautiful things. I have sewn very few costumes, for our church. They were fun to do. I have an Embroidery Machine in my house up north, but I don't use the Embroidery part very much. I sew on fabric that is all ways a busy print and would not look good with any more on it. But I do (wiht their logo on it) my nephew's lab coats for his medical practice. I like doing it for him. Did you get your nightgown finished?

Yes, I did get it done. I found this pattern and have been wanting to try it. I made it red naturally. I used a tricot for the top and a Charmuese for the bottom. The top required a two way stretch. Tricot really only has a one way. But I thought I'd try it anyhow. Worked great. The front is finished with a stretch lace. That's hard to find in the color you want. I was lucky to find red. The back neck and armholes are finished with elastic. I didn't want the white elastic to show so I used the clear elastic. I have used this before and was not happy with the results. I've learned the hard way it wasn't meant to be used like regular elastic. It breaks too easy. But this time I top stitched it down. Worked great.

I will use this pattern again. Very comfortable and flattering to my aging figure. :)

http://www.sewinglingerie.com/patterns/nice_nightie.html

Yes, I did get it done. I found this pattern and have been wanting to try it. I made it red naturally. I used a tricot for the top and a Charmuese for the bottom. The top required a two way stretch. Tricot really only has a one way. But I thought I'd try it anyhow. Worked great. The front is finished with a stretch lace. That's hard to find in the color you want. I was lucky to find red. The back neck and armholes are finished with elastic. I didn't want the white elastic to show so I used the clear elastic. I have used this before and was not happy with the results. I've learned the hard way it wasn't meant to be used like regular elastic. It breaks too easy. But this time I top stitched it down. Worked great.

I will use this pattern again. Very comfortable and flattering to my aging figure. :)

http://www.sewinglingerie.com/patterns/nice_nightie.html

Love the pattern. Was the material easy to sew on?

Well, I brought This machine the other day. I have not use it yett. Sill reading the book.

http://new.husqvarnaviking.com/en-US/Machines/SAPPHIRE-930

Love the pattern. Was the material easy to sew on?

Well, I brought This machine the other day. I have not use it yett. Sill reading the book.

Tricot is not one of the hardest fabrics to sew on. It does roll and most seams are 1/4" if you are using a stretch pattern. It's fun to sew something different.

I looked up your machine. Nice!! It has a thread cutter option. If you've never had that before, you will love it. I also have a knee lifter so I don't have to lift the pressure foot to take out my material. My husband teases me. He claims I'm not getting enough exercise anymore now that I don't cut my threads or raise my lever in the back.

I spent the day sewing yesterday. I will be doing the same today. I love having two days off in a row.

I made two camp shirts for our cruise. I'd rather wear a woven cotton than a cotton knit. Knits do not breathe. And these hot humid islands can get miserable in t-shirts.

Then I did some fun sewing. I made 3 luggage tags:

http://www.emblibrary.com/EL/Products.aspx?Catalog=Emblibrary&ProductID=X4224

I still can't figure out how to post pictures. So here's a link to my favorite site.

Edited by onebzemom

Tricot is not one of the hardest fabrics to sew on. It does roll and most seams are 1/4" if you are using a stretch pattern. It's fun to sew something different.

I looked up your machine. Nice!! It has a thread cutter option. If you've never had that before, you will love it. I also have a knee lifter so I don't have to lift the pressure foot to take out my material. My husband teases me. He claims I'm not getting enough exercise anymore now that I don't cut my threads or raise my lever in the back.

I spent the day sewing yesterday. I will be doing the same today. I love having two days off in a row.

I made two camp shirts for our cruise. I'd rather wear a woven cotton than a cotton knit. Knits do not breathe. And these hot humid islands can get miserable in t-shirts.

Then I did some fun sewing. I made 3 luggage tags:

http://www.emblibrary.com/EL/Products.aspx?Catalog=Emblibrary&ProductID=X4224

I still can't figure out how to post pictures. So here's a link to my favorite site.

Love the tags. I just might make some when I get back to my other sewing machine up north. I have a viking D1 back north. What make machine are you using?

What are camp shirts?

A camp shirt is a loose, straight-cut, short-sleeved shirt or blouse with a one-piece collar. It is often the base for Hawaiian shirts. I like them because they are loose and are not a fitted shirt. Normally they don't have a dart. But I put one in. I don't like them to fit that loose.

I have many machines. My main one is a Janome Memory Craft 6500. It is a Flat Bed. Very difficult to find that type these days. Most are Free Arm. But I needed a work horse. I also have a Janome Embroidery Only machine. I didn't want a combo. Usually I'm doing Embroidery when I am sewing. I'm partial to Janome. I repaired sewing machines for 19 years and I wanted something I knew the insides off. So far that has been an advantage.

I've been looking at new machines. Can't seem to find something I like that I don't already have. My machine is 10 years old now. The one I had before was 29 years old before I replaced it. I still use it for heavy fabrics. That machine will sew 4 layers of upholstery fabric with no problems. Most new ones, including mine won't.

A camp shirt is a loose, straight-cut, short-sleeved shirt or blouse with a one-piece collar. It is often the base for Hawaiian shirts. I like them because they are loose and are not a fitted shirt. Normally they don't have a dart. But I put one in. I don't like them to fit that loose.

I have many machines. My main one is a Janome Memory Craft 6500. It is a Flat Bed. Very difficult to find that type these days. Most are Free Arm. But I needed a work horse. I also have a Janome Embroidery Only machine. I didn't want a combo. Usually I'm doing Embroidery when I am sewing. I'm partial to Janome. I repaired sewing machines for 19 years and I wanted something I knew the insides off. So far that has been an advantage.

I've been looking at new machines. Can't seem to find something I like that I don't already have. My machine is 10 years old now. The one I had before was 29 years old before I replaced it. I still use it for heavy fabrics. That machine will sew 4 layers of upholstery fabric with no problems. Most new ones, including mine won't.

You are like me in having more that one sewing machine. I have three Viking-D1, a 415 and the new one. I also have two sergers. One Viking 910 and a white 2400. I don't know about you, but I grow very attached to a machine. I never want to trade it in. For the Sappire 930 I need a trade in. So I went tp the church second hand store and brought a junk machine for $5. and traded it in. My machines are my babies.

What about you and our other ladies do you feel the same about your machines?

Edited by geocruiser

I'm so envious - I really want one of these. I LOVE your way of having a trade in!

I finally started sewing again this weekend because I only had 6 weekends left to sew. Now I'm down to 5. :eek:

I'm working on a formal dress. It's one of those where you have to be practically finished with it before you can try it on. I hope that it fits.

I made a BIG mistake while sewing a pair of pants for our cruise yesterday. I am sewing a pair of checked lavender seersucker pants. The front of the fabric looks just like the back. (I thought I had it marked right). Well, I sewed the two legs center and side seam. And then I was try to pin the two legs together and then saw I had two left legs! I then had to rip out the seams on one leg and reverse the fabric. I took a while because I had surged them. I resurged them with out the cutter on, so my seam allowance would be not changed.

OK every one what have been some of your mistakes! Come on, confess!

I made a BIG mistake while sewing a pair of pants for our cruise yesterday. I am sewing a pair of checked lavender seersucker pants. The front of the fabric looks just like the back. (I thought I had it marked right). Well, I sewed the two legs center and side seam. And then I was try to pin the two legs together and then saw I had two left legs! I then had to rip out the seams on one leg and reverse the fabric. I took a while because I had surged them. I resurged them with out the cutter on, so my seam allowance would be not changed.

Just yesterday I decided my warm jacket that I'm taking to New Zealand needed the cuff of the sleeves tightened. However, I didn't want them to be tight all the time, because there would be times when less warmth is a good thing.

So, I decided to put small black velcro strips to fold over to tightened them when needed. The bottom of the sleeves are black, so the strips would barely show. So proud of myself for figuring this out. Sewed them on, tried on the jacket, and discovered the fold-over needs to be on the INSIDE of the sleeve, because I had this huge flapping piece of fabric hanging off the OUTSIDE of my sleeves. It was laughable.

So, ripped them out, resewed on the inside, and got it right. What a fiasco!

I have two :o stories to tell...

Last year I made a formal dress that turned out to be too big. So I cut my dresses out this year one size smaller than last year. (I've also lost some inches from exercising that I wasn't doing last year.) Can I just say that I HATE patterns where you have to practically make the entire dress before you can try it on?!?!?!? When I tried my dress on yesterday, it's too small! :eek: Maybe I can lose the inches within the next month and maybe I can't. :(

I started my next formal dress and surged something before I was supposed to and it took almost an hour to gently rip it out. I still had a couple of very tiny holes but managed to surge it back without them showing. Hopefully, this one will fit.

Edited by KeyOfSea

That's so aggravating. It happens to me too, that's why I try to make a muslin first (trial garment out of cheap fabric). I have many wadders myself. Sorry your dress didn't fit, but maybe you will lose weight. ;)

Trying to learn how to post pictures. It is not going well!

IMG_1238_zps62fe5d94.jpg

I did it!. This a skirt and a waist bag that I made a while ago. You have to look close to see the fanny bay.

Edited by geocruiser

I've done the same thing! Mine was a embroidery fabric. I made a blouse for our last cruise. When I took it out of the suitcase it was wrinkled so I went down to the laundry room to iron. As I was ironing the back I noticed I had the wrong side out. I was so upset. :mad: Tried to explain to the others waiting in line to iron, but they didn't get it. Back in the suitcase it went. The next day I got ambitious. I used my embroidery scissors and took it apart while sitting at the pool with a drink next to me. When I got home it was ready to redo and it didn't bother me at all. That blouse is going with me on this cruise!

Trying to learn how to post pictures. It is not going well!

IMG_1238_zps62fe5d94.jpg

I did it!. This a skirt and a waist bag that I made a while ago. You have to look close to see the fanny bay.

How did you do it? I've been trying to post pictures with no luck. It did work for me a year ago. But it's not happening now. Suggestions please!

Also, what pattern did you use for the bag?