Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

That fabric looks beautiful! How do you do a wrinkle test?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Sorry to take so long to answer. We went to our winter home in Fl.

Wrinkle test. All I do is grab a handfull of fabric and squeez it tight. Then let go and see how much it wrinlles. If it is all full of wrinkles I don't buy it.

Ever so slightly off-topic, ladies:

I have sewn since I was 12, and I still do a lot of alterations on my clothes. I stopped sewing entire garments years ago, but I find if I alter whatever I buy, then I get a better fit and look. Also, I will buy things on clearance that are too big and then alter them to fit.

Since I am "fluffy" I frequently find if it fits in the hips, it's too big in the shoulders, and garment makers think if your hips get wider then your arms automatically get longer, too! Go figure. I think it's the computerized pattern making programs: they enlarge everything in the pattern.

So, I take in almost all my tops with a dart at the back neckline, narrowing to nothing at the bottom. I shorten sleeves all the time, too.

My latest "conquest" is I altered a bathing suit yesterday! It was a challenge, but it worked out. Bringing the inside bra cups closer together, taking in the side seams under the arms, and shortening the crotch area gave me a much better fit.

Ever so slightly off-topic, ladies:

I have sewn since I was 12, and I still do a lot of alterations on my clothes. I stopped sewing entire garments years ago, but I find if I alter whatever I buy, then I get a better fit and look. Also, I will buy things on clearance that are too big and then alter them to fit.

Since I am "fluffy" I frequently find if it fits in the hips, it's too big in the shoulders, and garment makers think if your hips get wider then your arms automatically get longer, too! Go figure. I think it's the computerized pattern making programs: they enlarge everything in the pattern.

So, I take in almost all my tops with a dart at the back neckline, narrowing to nothing at the bottom. I shorten sleeves all the time, too.

My latest "conquest" is I altered a bathing suit yesterday! It was a challenge, but it worked out. Bringing the inside bra cups closer together, taking in the side seams under the arms, and shortening the crotch area gave me a much better fit.

Wow! I think doing alterations on garments is so hard. I just hate doing it. You are a great sewer to be able to do that. I all ways have to shorten my husbands shirts. The ares are too long. I really don't like doing it.

I have a question for all of you experienced clothing sewers. I want to make a maxi dress for our next cruise from some beautiful batik cotton that I bought in St. Kitts. But the pattern that I really like best (http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m6073-products-10884.php?page_id=101 ) states that it is for stretch knits only. The pattern does call for elastic, though. I'm assuming that it goes in at the waist.

Do you think I could still make this dress in a cotton fabric by modifying the existing pattern?

This is the other pattern I've been contemplating. Same problem- recommended for knits only- http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m5893-products-10130.php?page_id=101

Can you add a zipper in at th e side of the dress? That would help you get it on with out the stretch?

Wow! I think doing alterations on garments is so hard. I just hate doing it. You are a great sewer to be able to do that. I all ways have to shorten my husbands shirts. The ares are too long. I really don't like doing it.

Thank you. HA, I always feel "lazy" altering instead of making something from scratch. I guess it's a throwback to when I used to make ALL my clothes.

Can you add a zipper in at th e side of the dress? That would help you get it on with out the stretch?

I've only got the hem left to do!! Woo Hoo! I went with the first dress pattern, but altered it to allow more width in the lower bodice, banding and the top of the skirt.Then I used a wide elastic in the band under the bust. It turned out to be a lot easier than I thought it would.

But I think that if I had gone with the second, tank style dress, I definitely would have needed to use a zipper.

I've only got the hem left to do!! Woo Hoo! I went with the first dress pattern, but altered it to allow more width in the lower bodice, banding and the top of the skirt.Then I used a wide elastic in the band under the bust. It turned out to be a lot easier than I thought it would.

But I think that if I had gone with the second, tank style dress, I definitely would have needed to use a zipper.

Are you done with the hem?

ImageUploadedByForums1389874974.825619.jpg.5dc639e4c4a610c7e0ba524b20f817bb.jpg

Good morning ladies! I delude myself into thinking I can sew /quilt and that I find it relaxing ;) My DH would question the relaxing part as he has heard my muttering when I have an error/mistake!

Our most recent cruise was to Alaska. My light fleece gloves are rather worn (bot just broken in!) and so I decided to make a pair of fingerless gloves (pattern from Green Pepper) . . . ran into a problem, did not get them finished :( looked on line for a Tutorial but nothing there. I have contacted the company and they can offer help over the telephone, just have to be not at work and available when they can offer tech support.

While traveling I am usually looking for fabric, and I was specifically looking for this pattern /kit while in Sitak as the Batik is only available in Alaska ImageUploadedByForums1389875600.392736.jpg.7e21691416583bb5fa306cf8d219965b.jpg and we have a Siberian Husky (many over the years) and do some sledding.

Have a great day and it has been a pleasure to "meet" you.

Sue

ImageUploadedByForums1389875580.006838.jpg.c9b5c9953dbb2a9ca13b4339b923669f.jpg

I want to finish the fleece pants for my DH today. We leave on Saturday to visit our son's family, including the new grandson. :D

I'm still not sure when I'm returning to work. I was supposed to see my surgeon on Monday but he had emergency surgery. So I will see him tomorrow.

[ATTACH]298972[/ATTACH]

Good morning ladies! I delude myself into thinking I can sew /quilt and that I find it relaxing ;) My DH would question the relaxing part as he has heard my muttering when I have an error/mistake!

Our most recent cruise was to Alaska. My light fleece gloves are rather worn (bot just broken in!) and so I decided to make a pair of fingerless gloves (pattern from Green Pepper) . . . ran into a problem, did not get them finished :( looked on line for a Tutorial but nothing there. I have contacted the company and they can offer help over the telephone, just have to be not at work and available when they can offer tech support.

While traveling I am usually looking for fabric, and I was specifically looking for this pattern /kit while in Sitak as the Batik is only available in Alaska [ATTACH]298976[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]298977[/ATTACH] and we have a Siberian Husky (many over the years) and do some sledding.

Have a great day and it has been a pleasure to "meet" you.

Sue

Welcome to the thread. Love the fabric. When we went to Alaska I went into a few quilt shops. They had beautiful Alaskan fabric. I wished now that I brought some.

KeyOfSea, I hope that you get a great report from the Dr.

I would likely forgo the train. I'm currently on my way to being my "old self" from before the babies. I'm not doing too bad so far so I think having a dress like this would be a nice reward. I originality wanted something with a chiffon overlay but I just can't find the right pattern. What fabric would y'all recommend?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Speaking of chiffon overlay, would you be interested in this?

http://www.lightinthebox.com/elegant-chiffon-evening-wedding-puncho-more-colors_p528374:c8da01867af09a8ad0e5bdf85f5c808a.html?litb_from=sysmail

I think it adds a very elegant touch. I got it in white to wear with a jade green and white vine patterned top I have. I will fill it out a lot more than the 90 lb model, but I think I will shorten the back just a touch. I'm concerned if I sit on a lot of it I'll end up trailing a wrinkled "thing" behind me! :D

However, polyester chiffon is very good about not wrinkling much.

Speaking of chiffon overlay, would you be interested in this?

http://www.lightinthebox.com/elegant-chiffon-evening-wedding-puncho-more-colors_p528374:c8da01867af09a8ad0e5bdf85f5c808a.html?litb_from=sysmail

I think it adds a very elegant touch. I got it in white to wear with a jade green and white vine patterned top I have. I will fill it out a lot more than the 90 lb model, but I think I will shorten the back just a touch. I'm concerned if I sit on a lot of it I'll end up trailing a wrinkled "thing" behind me! :D

However, polyester chiffon is very good about not wrinkling much.

The top is beautiful. What about this.http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m3033-products-988.php?page_id=109

I'm so happy to have found this thread. I love to sew and have been sewing for most of my life. I'm booked on an Alaskan cruise in July and I'm busy planning my wardrobe. :)

First up is a dress from this Vogue pattern in a sparkly knit for formal night. http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v1250-products-14161.php?page_id=857

I wanted something easy to pack but with a little glam......I'm also planning on making a fleece pullover and a knit cardigan. I'm waiting on the fabric to arrive so I can get started.

Happy Sewing!

I'm so happy to have found this thread. I love to sew and have been sewing for most of my life. I'm booked on an Alaskan cruise in July and I'm busy planning my wardrobe. :)

First up is a dress from this Vogue pattern in a sparkly knit for formal night. http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v1250-products-14161.php?page_id=857

I wanted something easy to pack but with a little glam......I'm also planning on making a fleece pullover and a knit cardigan. I'm waiting on the fabric to arrive so I can get started.

Happy Sewing!

Love the pattern. A sparkly knit would work fine. When you go to Alaska be sure to check out the quilt shop in the towns. They have beautiful Alaskan fabric. I wish I had brought some when I was there.

I just finished sewing for my cruise that we are leaving on Sun.. I hope to learn how to post pictures when I get back.

Love the pattern. A sparkly knit would work fine. When you go to Alaska be sure to check out the quilt shop in the towns. They have beautiful Alaskan fabric. I wish I had brought some when I was there.

I just finished sewing for my cruise that we are leaving on Sun.. I hope to learn how to post pictures when I get back.

I'd love to check out some of the fabric shops. I don't do any quilting but so appreciate beautiful quilts!

I'd love to check out some of the fabric shops. I don't do any quilting but so appreciate beautiful quilts!

I don't quilt either. Way too many little pieces. The most that I will quilt is a hand bag. I did a table runner at Viking one day, I thought I was going run out and go home. Just not for me. But, I make some clothes out of material that is used for quilting. The cottons are good for my skirts and pants.

A previous poster mentioned about buying material in foreign ports which I thought was a wonderful idea and hope to do this on my next cruise in June, but I was wondering if anyone knew where to buy material in these ports.. I will be in Montego Bay Jamaica, Cayman Island and Cozumel, would love to bring home material for some projects..:)

Hope to see pictures of all the clothes everyone has made even if the posts are old.

I dug out material that I bought a few years ago when they closed down our Joann Fabric store and I was still working and was going to make clothes for work but never did but now I am going to make a few things..

Edited by Granny1

A previous poster mentioned about buying material in foreign ports which I thought was a wonderful idea and hope to do this on my next cruise in June, but I was wondering if anyone knew where to buy material in these ports.. I will be in Montego Bay Jamaica, Cayman Island and Cozumel, would love to bring home material for some projects..:)

Hope to see pictures of all the clothes everyone has made even if the posts are old.

I dug out material that I bought a few years ago when they closed down our Joann Fabric store and I was still working and was going to make clothes for work but never did but now I am going to make a few things..

Montego Bay: 79 Barnett St Montego Bay

Georgetown, Grand Cayman: Tropical Plaza on Smith Road, just east of Bobby Thompson Way

Further up Smith Road is Pond Road, turn right on Pond and go to Smith Road Sewing and Supplies.

There is another called Super Stich Sewing and Fabric Centre at Box 1132 39 Pasadora Pl Smith Rd George Town * Grand Cayman KY1-1101, but I can't find it on google maps.

Cozumel:

From tripadvisor:

Central (or Centro) de Telas on AR Salas between 15 & 20 (or 10 & 15) -- it's on Salas.

Paraiso on Juarez bet. Aves. 5 & 10, in the Plaza, just west of the San Miguel Church & across the street from BOB's bar/restaurant.

In the Chedraui mall -- don't know the name but you can't miss it -- 1st floor. KAC says this is another Paraiso -- and this is the larger store.

For more trimmings & decorations, go upstairs at Salome, Juarez bet. 25 & 30. Salome is a combo flea market/stationery store/craft shop. The good stuff is upstairs above the part of the building that stocks home accessories, clothing & "stuff". Staircase is on the far west side in the middle of the store. A fun place to poke around in.

I finished the flannel blanket for my granddaughter. The mitered corners turned out pretty good for a first try. I found the same print, in blue and fleece, so I get a couple of yards to make the same blanket for my grandson. Was going to do it right after I finished the small one, but I'll be d(^$&^ if the cats didn't take off with the spool of orange thread. I can't find that sucker anywhere. And I was on a roll...:rolleyes:

That's lovely! If you go to patternreview.com and search on this pattern you can get some helpful information. It seems the sizing is a bit large, especially in the bodice. Still.....I think it's beautiful and the version you like is my favorite.

Was going to do it right after I finished the small one, but I'll be d(^$&^ if the cats didn't take off with the spool of orange thread. I can't find that sucker anywhere. And I was on a roll...:rolleyes:

You know you'll find it as soon as you go out and buy another spool. ;):D