Carnival Bans Cash-Equivalent Promotions

LauraS

Very true, I really like Carnival but I don't like what seems like a trend of changes. When we book our next cruise we will take a look at other lines to see what they offer. I have seen a couple of NCL cruises for less than Carnival charges doing the same cruise, which surprised me.

I have never paid a lot for an NCL cruise. With NCL (because they have far less ships, I think..) if you book far in advance, the rates are really good, especially if you hit one of their DASH sales that give awesome OBC incentives. Because their sailings usually fill up, the rates never go down as the cruise gets closer...which is why I have got great deals booking far out.

My Sun cruise for Feb cost me $114 pp/pd for a mid ship balcony cabin. Even though the Sun is an older ship (which doesn't bother me in the least) paying $114 per day for a balcony cabin is a great deal imo....especially considering what we get for that money. I also have $425 in obc for this cruise between NCL's promotions and the OBC from the TA. :)

carnival is not always cheaper.

Looks like shareholder credit or credit card points (like the Carnival card) will be the only ways to get onboard credit, aside from early saver.

What carnival is doing though, by limiting what perks travel agents can offer is not all that different from Celebrity. I remember the brouhaha on the Celebrity board a few years back when they stopped allowing stacking of shareholder credit with travel agent OBC. You could choose which one was higher but you could not apply both to the same cruise.

Now Celebrity may be less restrictive if you can at least have gratuities thrown in by the travel agent.

Shareholder credit and TA OBC's are combinable and always have been (we've done this dozens of times). What is NOT combinable is Celebrity or RCL cruise line OBC's (e.g. onboard booking, early booking) and shareholder benefit.

From Wiki

In 1955 in the UK, the Monopolies and Mergers Commission's report Collective Discrimination - A Report on Exclusive Dealing, Aggregated Rebates and Other Discriminatory Trade Practices recommended that resale price maintenance when collectively enforced by manufacturers should be made illegal, but individual manufacturers should be allowed to continue the practice. The report was the basis for the Restrictive Trade Practices Act 1956, this specifically prohibited collective enforcement of resale price maintenance in the UK. Restrictive agreements had to be registered at the Restrictive Practices Court, and were considered on individual merit. In 1964 the Resale Prices Act was passed, which now considered all resale price agreements to be against public interest unless proven otherwise. In 2010 in what could be a landmark case The Office of Fair Trading started to investigate [2] allegations of resale price maintenance in the hotel industry. The investigation will focus on allegations that there could be agreements and concerted practices resulting in fixed or minimum resale prices.[3]

In relation to competition, Article 81 and Article 82 of the EC Treaty are paramount over all member states' national laws relating to competition. The ECJ and the Commission have both held that Resale Price Maintenance is generally prohibited. UK law must apply this interpretation when dealing with inter member-state agreements between undertakings.

Shareholder credit and TA OBC's are combinable and always have been (we've done this dozens of times). What is NOT combinable is Celebrity or RCL cruise line OBC's (e.g. onboard booking, early booking) and shareholder benefit.

Yes that's right - thanks for putting that straight!

One of the misconceptions I see all the time is that Carnival is cheaper. That's not always true. I booked a corner aft balcony on RCCL Navigator OTS for $879pp for March 9, 2014. The cheapest interior stateroom on the Carnival Magic the same day is $999pp with Early Saver. Right now RCCL still allows OBC, free dinners and spa treatments. That could change, but for now I'll keep price shopping other lines. We sail everything so I'm not picky. Our cruise this month is on Carnival but I think I'll hold off on a new booking for a while.

The new policy will cost my TA some business if I decide to sail Carnival again because they charge a $50pp cancellation fee. If I can book with another agency at the same price than I will. I'll still be using large web based TA and not a local TA. It's a shame that helping small TAs comes at my expense. The cost of my cruise just went up 10%. I can't say I'm pleased.

This thread is much more friendly on the topic. I had a hard time reading the smug postings by BlueandOrange about how he and thousands of TA forced Carnival to implement this policy and how beneficial it would be to him. If he can't grasp how upsetting this is to people who are used to getting these perks then I certainly don't think he's competent to look after my interests when booking the perfect cruise. I think TA should show some tact and understand that the perks Carnival has eliminated are coming out of my pocket. At least CruisingSoon88 seems to see the big picture. It may be good for small TA, guaranteed to be in Carnival's best interest (unless everyone stops booking with them), but it stinks for the consumer.

I also agree that without OBC, I tend to spend less.

One of the misconceptions I see all the time is that Carnival is cheaper. That's not always true. I booked a corner aft balcony on RCCL Navigator OTS for $879pp for March 9, 2014. The cheapest interior stateroom on the Carnival Magic the same day is $999pp with Early Saver. Right now RCCL still allows OBC, free dinners and spa treatments. That could change, but for now I'll keep price shopping other lines. We sail everything so I'm not picky. Our cruise this month is on Carnival but I think I'll hold off on a new booking for a while.

Very true and an important point... always price out different options! With the exception of Oasis and Allure (which will always be more expensive), there are good deals to be had on other cruise lines -- especially on ships that aren't brand new.

Very true and an important point... always price out different options! With the exception of Oasis and Allure (which will always be more expensive), there are good deals to be had on other cruise lines -- especially on ships that aren't brand new.

absolutely!!

Age of ship

itinerary

Embarkation port

all these influence cost

absolutely!!

Age of ship

itinerary

Embarkation port

all these influence cost

Actually the main contributing factor for the price difference in my example is because RCCL and Carnival have different opinions on which week Texas will have spring break in 2014, but you're right that a lot of factors affect price. If you look at the following week, the prices are inverted and RCCL is high and Carnival is low.

If prices are the same, then perks would help my decision. When the price difference is more than the perks, then price would win and perks become meaningless. I think this was CruisingSoon88's point. It's just not always Carnival with the lower prices. Without the perks, they'll have to price themselves lower to win my business unless they have an itinerary or departure port that I can't get on any other cruiseline.

On Board Credit from my TA definitely helps me to be able to afford a cruise. Without it, I will not spend much on board on alcohol or shore excursions, which I like to do. Therefore, in the future, I will not even look at Carnival when looking to book a cruise. Bye Bye Carnival.

What strikes me as odd, doesnt Carnival realize that if I have SOME obc, I am more likely to spend way above that amount. With zero OBC, I will never even set foot in the gift shop.

Atleast give everyone $25 or something

Its like how many times do you go to Costco to get two things, and walk about of there with $400 in your cart

:cool: I hope everyone who says there are leaving Carnival, stick to their word!!:rolleyes: Because the rest of the Cruise Companies will follow at some time!!;)

Can't say we'll never cruise with CCL again, but since we're already looking toward 2014, this is just another example of why we won't necessarily be looking to CCL first. Clearly, CCL doesn't care about us returning after what they've pulled off during the last two months. :(

I have to say - I was seriously considering Carnival for the next cruise, but now, unless they have the absolute best price taking into account the goodies I get on the other lines, then I am afraid I will be unlikely to travel with Carnival.

Also, to the TA's who say it will make it easier - if it is Carnival who has the cheapest price, then I would likely go straight to Carnival. It is too much work trying to get someone else to book what I already know I want.

:cool: I hope everyone who says there are leaving Carnival, stick to their word!!:rolleyes: Because the rest of the Cruise Companies will follow at some time!!;)

Count me as one who will as I have now booked 2 cruise with RCI that I had intended to do on Carnival.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived