Carribean in September?

GrammaJo128

Hi. I'm brand new to this, but we are looking into taking our first cruise, and want to go to the Carribean. Ideally we'd like to go in September or maybe October but I keep reading that it rains a lot and of course the risk of a hurricane is always present. I mostly worry about the rain since that is far more likely than a hurricane. I just wanted opinions about whether it is stupid to take our first voyage out during a potentially rainy season. I'm hoping that there rain is just quick and heavy and then the sun comes out again (like in Orlando). We can go in November, but I want to spend a few days at Miami Beach before we sale, and I'm afraid the ocean water will be too cool there that time of year.

Also, does travel insurance cover hurricanes?

Thanks for any opinions. I know no one can guarantee anything, but so many of you have so much experience and that will help me to make a final choice.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Yes you run the risk of Hurricanes. While you can get rain you can get rain other times of the year and it shouldn't last too long.

I would probably go with October.

Each insurance policy is different so you'll need to look at the details.

Keith

I have cruised 1-october-bahamas-got a cold front

2-january-western caribbean-perfect when near Grand Cayman

3-december- bahamas-got a cold front

4-november-bahamas-got TS Sean

5- september-would rather have rain than cold.

I have cruised 1-october-bahamas-got a cold front

2-january-western caribbean-perfect when near Grand Cayman

3-december- bahamas-got a cold front

4-november-bahamas-got TS Sean

5- september-would rather have rain than cold.

Unfortunately - it's the nature of the beast with "Mother Nature" that cruiser's take, I'm sure we all have experienced bad weather at one time or another while cruising.

However, hope you enjoyed the cruises you were on.

All very good points. We certainly can't control Mother Nature.

Keith, thanks also for the info about the insurance. I didn't even realize there are different kinds.

Marshhawk, I agree! Give me rain over cold any day! I guess I assumed the Carribean is alwayw warm. (yea, obviously I'm not a seasoned traveler).

Hi. I'm brand new to this, but we are looking into taking our first cruise, and want to go to the Carribean. Ideally we'd like to go in September or maybe October but I keep reading that it rains a lot and of course the risk of a hurricane is always present. I mostly worry about the rain since that is far more likely than a hurricane. I just wanted opinions about whether it is stupid to take our first voyage out during a potentially rainy season. I'm hoping that there rain is just quick and heavy and then the sun comes out again (like in Orlando). We can go in November, but I want to spend a few days at Miami Beach before we sale, and I'm afraid the ocean water will be too cool there that time of year.

Also, does travel insurance cover hurricanes?

Thanks for any opinions. I know no one can guarantee anything, but so many of you have so much experience and that will help me to make a final choice.

We usually cruise in Sept. (Oasis of the Seas 9/15). There is always the chance of a hurricane, but they won't sail into one. We've never had a problem. If there is one in the gulf, they will do an Eastern itin and vice versa. This can throw a monkey wrench into the mix if you have private excursions planned, but they can be worked out. An added plus is that you can get better deals during "hurricane season". You also don't have a big choice of ships as a lot of them are still in the Med or up in Alaska. :(

Joe<-----Just countin' down the days! :D

They may sail around hurricanes, but the weather is still not wonderful. Plus, you are missing the best ports, your excursions are messed up........ I suppose it's okay if you understand and accept the challenges:confused:

We have cruised in September for the last several years and we have had a lot of luck. There have been hurricane potential (and hurricanes) a week or two prior to going, but then we've always ended up with perfect weather.

If it does rain (which we've lucked out and only had a slight rain after getting back on the ship in port at the end of our port day), it usually is short lived. :)

Oh, I didn't realize they sail around the hurricanes. That's good to know. Thank you!

And thank you for the link! That will help a lot.

But the opposite of that is, cruise ships can, and have, come back to port days late, and the subsequent cruise was either shortened or canceled. Also, you can't purchase insurance late in the game, like once they know a hurricane is coming. Insurance won't pay if you purchase it too late.

Interesting responses. There is a very good reason why many cruise lines move their ships out of the Caribbean during hurricane season. There is also a good reason why the fares are so low. Now that you know the reason(s), you can make an informed decision:)

We're sailing on the Oasis Aug. 25 and have our fingers crossed. We certainly did not get a good deal because it's the peak of hurricane season. However, we've cruised once before in September and had no issues. We're going at the time that worked with my hubby's work schedule and figure we'll just enjoy the ship.

Good point travelcats! :D

I guess some travel insurance would be in order and hopefully we won't have to use it. I do feel better that so many of you responded that you went during those months with no problems. Turns out we just booked tonight and will be going toward the end of October, and since that is the tail end of hurricane season, maybe we will also get lucky and have nice weather. I'm so excited now that we actually booked! Thanks to all of you for your input. I can see these boards will become my bible since this is our first cruise. :)

Archived