Ok ladies, waxing vs. shaving

My first cruise is in 10 days!:D It's an 8 day cruise and I don't want to be shaving every. single. day. I've never waxed before but I was thinking of maybe trying a at home kit? Any suggestions? Thoughts? How far in advance should I wax before the trip? Any help would be appreciated!

Do it in plenty of time to see how long it takes to get stubbly again...and how long it takes for the hair to get long enough to wax again!

My hair grows REALLY fast...so waxing is NOT for me! It becomes visible and "feelable" before it gets long enough to wax again.....so shaving it is, for me! Doesn't take long to shave at all! (I've got it down to an art, by now!)

The first time hurts worst....the more you do it, the less it hurts. Sometimes, it can leave a rash....I'd try this a couple months before your cruise, and see if it's for you.

I don't know if you are talking about legs, eye brows or landscaping a pikachu(I"m not talking about a pokemon):D

I don't change my beauty or shower routine because I'm on a cruise. I just know the shower is much smaller than at home and adapt. I shave every day anyhow. Nothing worse than my legs and pits getting stubble while wearing summer clothes.

Leave waxing to professional salons if you never done it before You can always use a hair remover like Nair- just deal with horrid smell. (do this before cruise)

good luck with your cruise

I wanted to just wax my underarms and bikini line. LMAO @ pikachu! But given that I only have 10 more days until my cruise maybe thats not even enough time for the hair to grow long enough to wax..? Ehh maybe I should stick to good ol shaving. Thanks everyone :):)

I tried sugaring a home and it was BAD for me...every hair follicle that was affected by my first strip formed a dot of blood. :eek:

OT-ILuvZumba...you should join me on my Zumba thread! Link is in my signature.

Done! :cool:

Sugaring washes off in water...wax requires oil to remove any residue. Sugaring is much easier to use at home. But...it doesn't give the same results as wax will. All are a big pain.....and again...the hair has to be long enough...very short stubble will NOT be pulled from the skin. If you have thin or delicate hair, it may break off at skin level....same as shaving!

There's no way I would try to DIY this, and I have salon-quality stuff. I have no problems waxing my own lip, but there is a learning curve for "large square footage" areas, and I really can't pull that strip off my legs myself, no matter how much I know it doesn't hurt that badly.

The kits I've tried were junk.

Sugaring at a professional salon.

The best there is and when done frequently, there isn't much left to get rid of. ;)

I've sugared at home for years and there is so little hair left now I barely bother more than every 3-4 months. What does grow back is so soft and sparse, it is barely noticeable.

My favorite product is only available to professional salons now, it seems. I have a stock on hand, thankfully, but I looked recently to see the price and my usual on line source has totally changed their website. :(

Hmmm, maybe I can ask my salon to order it for me??

there is a learning curve for "large square footage" areas, and I really can't pull that strip off my legs myself, no matter how much I know it doesn't hurt that badly.

Haha, I know exactly what you mean! I have to get my sister to yank my wax strips for me sometimes (which is never a problem because it's a great excuse for her to inflict pain upon me... :D) because I just can't do it. After the initial burn, I'm always like, "Well, that wasn't too bad..."

Guess I am very old school.....never wax and never heard of

sugaring. I just shave. As for shaving every day? Nope...not for me.

I shave the morning I leave for a cruise and that's it.

As I said, guess I am just old school.

I would say you're very lucky if shaving the morning you leave will get you through a cruise! Some of us have dark, fast growing hair that makes it impossible to do that unless we're cruising to Alaska ;)

Wow you are lucky! I get a 5 oclock shadow if I shave in the morning. shave shave shave. Tried waxing, my hair is too strong, won't pull out. Tried several different nair type products, allergic to them all. Oh well. My next thought is lazer, which they say doesn't work too well of thicker coarse hair, but maybe it will thin it out? Only problem, 600$ for the treatment could go for another cruise. :D

Ironic.....I do have dark hair but my legs? Nope, so much.

But I have never, ever shaved every day:eek:. Maybe I am just odd:rolleyes:

I would not wax this close to ur trip if u haven't before. The first time I had a wax it was swollen for days... Second time was so much better and very little pain and swelling. Third time was easy peasy. Plus, u need to do it a couple days before u plan on being in salt water... Trust me... It will ruin ur trip!

Ironic.....I do have dark hair but my legs? Nope, so much.

But I have never, ever shaved every day:eek:. Maybe I am just odd:rolleyes:

Well, I never said I actually shaved every day, just that I need too. :D Of course on a cruise when people actually see the legs, then yes, shave shave shave. :cool:

I would not wax this close to ur trip if u haven't before. The first time I had a wax it was swollen for days... Second time was so much better and very little pain and swelling. Third time was easy peasy. Plus, u need to do it a couple days before u plan on being in salt water... Trust me... It will ruin ur trip!

Good point about the salt water! Thanks

The sugaring product that I got was called "Nads" and it works just like wax except that it is water soluble and doesn't require being heated.

:eek::eek::eek: In the UK, the name of the product you recommended is a slang word for a part of a gentleman's anatomy (the plural part;)) Can't imagine going into a shop and asking for that!!!:D

Archived