Thanksgiving on Princess

trishbebears

I have been on the Golden twice on Thanksgiving and have never seen one... Sorry! That would be a good idea though!

We've been on Princess for 3 Thanksgivings. The first was dinner was pumpkin everything :eek: - soup, ice cream, pumpkin seeds - really overkill. They must have gotten a lot of complaints because the other two meals were more 'normal' T-day fare. I agree with the other posters that the turkey isn't up to family meal standards but they do make an effort to provide U.S. cruisers with a traditional meal to celebrate the holiday. All 3 ships were colorfully decorated in the atrium. PS I don't recall any offerings such as the Macy's Parade or football games; however, we were many time zones away from the U.S.

002.jpg.983d34447783af05e71e3088d6bb47a1.jpg

Edited by westendgirl
forgot to address part of the question

My first cruise was during Thanksgiving. We spent the day in St. Martin and then ate at the Crown Grill for dinner, so it became the only Thanksgving so far that I haven't had any turkey. :D There wasn't any kind of black friday sale but there will probably be the big sale in the mdr if your cruise has two at sea days, it's usually on the second one.

Then it's not a black friday sale!! In the past, on other cruise lines, we've gotten a free tote bag (real nice canvas one) for anyone who purchases something $10 or more before 9 am, coupons for the first 50 people in line for $5 or $10 off your purchase (depending on how much you spend), extra low prices on liquor for the early risers and stuff like that.... not just the t-shirts, watches, gold by the inch stuff they always have.

It sounds like Princess doesn't really do "black friday" just the regular stuff they always sell.

I think that's the key- other cruise lines- not that I pay that much attention to what their selling anyway. I only sit there listening to my iPod holding articles & waiting for the wife to finish browsing. :D

Another Thanksgiving related question, will they have the Thanksgiving NFL games on MUTS?

We'll be at sea on Thanksgiving so that would be fun:).

On the Ruby, they did show the Thanksgiving football games on MUTS as well as in the staterooms. It was a great way to watch the games!

They may have called it a Black Friday sale, but it was there usual garage sale to unload merchandise that is discontinued or clothing and other merchandise with logos from ports no longer being sailed to on that ship.

Aw, cmon....doesn't the fact that you're cruising on the glorious sea, enjoying tropical ports, usually having a cocktail with some funky umbrella make up for the fact that you're not crammed into a mall getting 50% off an item they probably increased in price by at least 25% pre-sale? If I really wanted to go shopping on Black Friday, I'd stay home :rolleyes:. It was just kinda fun to have them even call it a Black Friday sale..made me think of all my friends in those malls and chuckle!!

On the Ruby, they did show the Thanksgiving football games on MUTS as well as in the staterooms. It was a great way to watch the games!

That would be great! We've done Monday Night Football on MUTS and it was lots of fun so I was thinking the traditional Thanksgiving Day games would be fun too (plus there are some good matchups this year:)).

I will miss watching the Macy's parade though :( but being on a cruise makes up for it many times over :D!

We've been on Princess for 3 Thanksgivings. The first was dinner was pumpkin everything :eek: - soup, ice cream, pumpkin seeds - really overkill. They must have gotten a lot of complaints because the other two meals were more 'normal' T-day fare. I agree with the other posters that the turkey isn't up to family meal standards but they do make an effort to provide U.S. cruisers with a traditional meal to celebrate the holiday. All 3 ships were colorfully decorated in the atrium. PS I don't recall any offerings such as the Macy's Parade or football games; however, we were many time zones away from the U.S.

We'll being sailing to the Caribbean out of FLL so I think there will be a lot of Americans onboard. I can understand how they wouldn't make much of a deal (if any) out of Thanksgiving if the cruise was in Europe, Asia, South America, etc...

We'll being sailing to the Caribbean out of FLL so I think there will be a lot of Americans onboard. I can understand how they wouldn't make much of a deal (if any) out of Thanksgiving if the cruise was in Europe, Asia, South America, etc...

The ship will be decorated very nicely. Even when they had the special menu, most people at my table ordered lobster (which was also offered).

• 6 years later...
On 7/17/2012 at 6:24 PM, lfk60 said:

We were on the Ruby Princess for Thanksgiving last year and will be on the Caribbean Princess this year. They do serve the standard Thanksgiving Day menu in the main dining room, but as others have said, it can't compare to home, so we went to the steak house :). We were the only Americans there and the maitre'd offered to get us turkey in addition to our steaks!! We declined, but it was awfully nice of him! As for children, I'm sure there were many, but honestly, I didn't notice them much. There are so many activities for them on board.

As for Black Friday, the Ruby did have a 'Black Friday Sale'....mostly your typical t-shirts, watches, etc., but also some nice deals on make-up and souveniers.

Enjoy!!

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2012 at 10:27 AM, Coral said:

I work at a college and we have Wed - Sunday off. It is not uncommon for students to (pre) extend their vacation a tad and take Monday and Tuesday off. I am sure it is the same for many K-12 schools.

We will be on the Ruby for Thanksgiving this year with our 6 year old 1st grader.  His school (Los Angeles suburb) has the whole week off. We've also cruised over Thanksgiving several times pre-kids and noticed many kids on the 7 day itineraries.

1 hour ago, framer said:

Never get the Turkey on a Princess Ship.  Swanson makes a better turkey dinner.  Seriously...

Everything else on that dinner is wonderful, just not the turkey...You been warned.

framer

The pumpkin pie kinda sucked last year, too.