New Internet Plan - Oosterdam - June, 2012

sail7seas

I just posted this in another thread but I think there's enough interest, gauging by how often the question is asked, to make it a separate thread.

On our June 17, 2012 cruise on Oosterdam, I found announcement of the new Internet Plans.

You will be charged a one-time activation fee of $3.95

Satellite Internet Time Plans

Pay as you go $0.75 Per Minute

Time Plan 1 1000 Minutes / $250.00

Time Plan 2 500 Minutes / $175.00

Time Plan 3 250 Minutes / $100.00

Time Plan 4 100 Minutes / $55.00

I think it possible these plans may have been on Grand Voyages and/or World Cruise but this is the first I have seen the extended length plans of 500 and 1000 minutes on shorter cruises.

I'm afraid it is probably one of the Grand voyages - wish we could get the longer deals on the longer cruises;) (shorter compared to a Grand Voyage or a World Cruise but still long enough). A big difference once you get over the 250 minute mark

I just posted this after you on the other thread:

I found this: the new Eurodam prices were reported in Apr as $19 for 100 min and $33 for 250. Still steep compared to land-based internet, but much better.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showp...12&postcount=8

Hopefully those prices will be spreading to other ships.

I just posted this in another thread but I think there's enough interest, gauging by how often the question is asked, to make it a separate thread.

On our June 17, 2012 cruise on Oosterdam, I found announcement of the new Internet Plans.

We had these 4 options when we sailed on the Zuiderdam in early May and I mentioned this in my Live from. Basically they just added a 2 more plans. The price is still the same for By The Minute, and the 100 minute plan and the $250.00 minutes plan. They just extended it for those that know they will be "on-line" a lot :D Which was a smart move for MTN, I am sure over the years they have seen a huge growth in those purchasing minutes especially with those bringing their iPads, netbooks, and Kindle Fire/nook tablets. For the cruiser that logs in and sees that the can buy a package that comes out even less per minute than the previous $100 package it is a good deal especially for those longer than 7 days voyages. I have had to on several occasions go in and purchase an additional package when I was doing my Live from reports.

I think it possible these plans may have been on Grand Voyages and/or World Cruise but this is the first I have seen the extended length plans of 500 and 1000 minutes on shorter cruises.

This option was available on our 31 day South American repositioning cruise this past March as well.

Terri

I'm afraid it is probably one of the Grand voyages - wish we could get the longer deals on the longer cruises;) (shorter compared to a Grand Voyage or a World Cruise but still long enough). A big difference once you get over the 250 minute mark

Those additional plans were available on our June seven day Oosterdam cruise so it now doesn't only apply to long cruises. :)

[/url]Hopefully those prices will be spreading to other ships.

I cannot find any other mention anywhere of that information. Only that one post so far as I can see. Have you found any other post about it?

I'd like to think it is accurate but am not yet ready to count on it without some sort of verification...... really good would be a notice on HAL's site. ;)

This option was available on our 31 day South American repositioning cruise this past March as well.

Terri

]

Thanks Terri - this is really good news:)

I cannot find any other mention anywhere of that information. Only that one post so far as I can see. Have you found any other post about it?

I'd like to think it is accurate but am not yet ready to count on it without some sort of verification...... really good would be a notice on HAL's site. ;)

You will be charged a one-time activation fee of $3.95

Satellite Internet Time Plans

Pay as you go $0.75 Per Minute

Time Plan 1 1000 Minutes / $250.00

Time Plan 2 500 Minutes / $175.00

Time Plan 3 250 Minutes / $100.00

Time Plan 4 100 Minutes / $55.00

I am pretty positive those were the prices that were available for our Zuiderdam cruise and I am also sure this has gone Fleetwide.

Here is where I mentioned in my Live From

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=33708317&postcount=76

This is the first time I'd seen these added packages.

For a b-to-b/Cpllectors, the larger package would work out well for us.

exactly my thoughts - I hope it will be in place when we cruise:):)

Here's the thread that other post was taken from,

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com....php?t=1611609

Another person said they paid $19.99 for 100 min

Here's another thread from March that says they were "testing" rates of $19 and $33

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1598932

Has HAL ever posted anything about internet rates on their site? ;)

Thanks for posting the information, Sail. This is the first I've heard of larger packages with a lower per minute price. I usually use more than one package, so this will be a big help to my bottom line. :D

These plans were offered on our Amsterdam sailing to Alaska June 15-29...and I took advantage of them, because in the past I always seemed to run out of minutes. In fact, this time I had minutes left over!

Laura

These plans were available on my cruise on the Westerdam two weeks ago.

I am pretty positive those were the prices that were available for our Zuiderdam cruise and I am also sure this has gone Fleetwide.

Here is where I mentioned in my Live From

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=33708317&postcount=76

Yes these were the packages available on the Zuiderdam in April, for our 22-day cruise.

I'm currently on a 12 day Nieuw Amsterdam voyage and those are the prices for us. The internet is actually reasonably speedy, especially compared to other cruises I've been on. It still tends to kick me off randomly though.

When I was on the Statendam in March (4 weeks), I bought two 250-minute packages. I was checking email and uploading to my blog daily, plus a few other little things. Speed was not as slow as I had feared from reading reports here on CC. But because I was always mindful of the minutes ticking away, I'd log out and then remember something I meant to check. The larger packages will keep me from that "anxiety".

But do larger (and less expensive) packages mean more people will use the Internet on board or for longer times? Will band width be increased? Or will this mean slower speeds (more competition)?

Just a note, FYI - I specifically asked if I would have internet access in the morning of disembarkation day. The librarian/tech person and front desk "clerk" said I would have access until I swiped my card when leaving the ship for the final time. This was not true - when I tried to sign on, my account had been closed - I lost about 30 minutes.

[/url]Hopefully those prices will be spreading to other ships.

HAL told me that different packages are being offered at the discretion of the Internet Manager. Standard packages are as written in other boards for 100 and 250 minutes. Sailing 7/22/12 Rijndam and curious to know what will be on offer then.

peter

Sailing 7/22/12 Rijndam and curious to know what will be on offer then.

peter

I would be interested in knowing that, too. I sailed the Ryndam from 5/6-20/12, which is during the period of expanded plans on other ships, and we had only the per minute and two shorter plans.

Perhaps it just hadn't been introduced to the Ryndam then?

Archived