Last sailing of the season

Rebel54

Does the ship just go do another region? Didn't really think about that. Makes sense though. Thank you. I was a bit worried that we might find less than stellar services because it was end of season.

The last sailing of the season can be risky because of weather. Here is a link to a thread from the last sailing of last year on one of the ships:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1487385

Some people like that there seem to be fewer ships in port and there are lots of sales going on as the shops are clearing out their merchandise. I am just not a gambler in general. For me, the risk of lousy weather would not be enough for me to try to grab a cheaper cruise at the end of the season. I know I could get lousy weather anytime I go, but I like to play the odds. In general, when we travel, we avoid the rainy season if we can. If we couldn't then I would just be prepared with the proper clothing.

The last sailing of the season can be risky because of weather. Here is a link to a thread from the last sailing of last year on one of the ships:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1487385

Some people like that there seem to be fewer ships in port and there are lots of sales going on as the shops are clearing out their merchandise. I am just not a gambler in general. For me, the risk of lousy weather would not be enough for me to try to grab a cheaper cruise at the end of the season. I know I could get lousy weather anytime I go, but I like to play the odds. In general, when we travel, we avoid the rainy season if we can. If we couldn't then I would just be prepared with the proper clothing.

I had booked for the first part of September but unfortunately when you are married to a Navy man the best laid plans hardly ever work. This cruise was supposed to be to celebrate our 4 year anniversary. Now he will be deployed for it and I had to reschedule everything to the last sailing of the season. The UP side is that for the same price I got a better suite. The down side, the potential cruddy weather :(.

Has anyone been on one and do you think it made a difference in your cruise as far as service and availability of items? If so, how and why?

The main thing is a lot of stores in the ports will be short of some items. But otherwise there might some good deals ashore and on board. Depending on the cruise line there might be a sell off of all Alaskan items on board during the last few days of the cruise.

We are also on the last cruise of the season, before the ship goes elsewhere. It was recommended by H's classmate, who has encouraged many to book. He likes these for the reasons mentioned above--less crowded, great sales. Our ship is nearly sold out, so seems many others also think it will be a good time for a cruise.:)

We are also on the last cruise of the season, before the ship goes elsewhere. It was recommended by H's classmate, who has encouraged many to book. He likes these for the reasons mentioned above--less crowded, great sales. Our ship is nearly sold out, so seems many others also think it will be a good time for a cruise.:)

I think our ship is pretty well sold out as well. I see we are from the same location. Aloha :)

The main thing is a lot of stores in the ports will be short of some items. But otherwise there might some good deals ashore and on board. Depending on the cruise line there might be a sell off of all Alaskan items on board during the last few days of the cruise.

That's ok for me. I'm not much of a shopper anyway. The most I buy is the obligatory shot glasses for my co-workers. And a t-shirt or hoodie for me and the hubs. I'd rather spend my money on good food and good experiences :).

I was on the last sailing of Alaska on our cruise ship last year and no issues.

Remember, they will be sailing another voyage after you disembark.

Keith

Thank you Keith. I really hadn't thought about what they do with the ship at the end of the season. Not sure why I didn't consider it would be heading for warmer waters.

For many reasons I'd never sail on the line we were on when it was the last cruise of the season...........even if they gave us a free cruise. :(

That being said, we had great weather....wore shorts in the ports and the stores had 75 to 90 percent off merchandise!:D

On our cruise, the pools were closed as were all the bars by the pools. They were refurbishing the pools and varnishing, etc. the bars. We don't drink but didn't appreciate the mess of furniture stacked everywhere and the fumes of the products being used.

They were WAY more interested in getting the ship "ship-shaped up" for the passengers boarding for the repo cruise and for the Caribbean season.

It may be different on other lines.

For many reasons I'd never sail on the line we were on when it was the last cruise of the season...........even if they gave us a free cruise. :(

That being said, we had great weather....wore shorts in the ports and the stores had 75 to 90 percent off merchandise!:D

On our cruise, the pools were closed as were all the bars by the pools. They were refurbishing the pools and varnishing, etc. the bars. We don't drink but didn't appreciate the mess of furniture stacked everywhere and the fumes of the products being used.

They were WAY more interested in getting the ship "ship-shaped up" for the passengers boarding for the repo cruise and for the Caribbean season.

It may be different on other lines.

Never had a problem. Towards the end of any cruise the crew is thinking of the next cruise but that doesn't have anything to do with end of a season. .

Keith

Does the ship just go do another region? Didn't really think about that. Makes sense though. Thank you. I was a bit worried that we might find less than stellar services because it was end of season.

Exactly. They call them repositioning cruises. I am booked on one in September. The Coral Princess leaves Whitter on the 10th and arrives at Vancouver on the 17th. We get on and sail to LA and then we go through the Panama Canal. We are the first voyage of the 2012/2013 Panams Canal season.

I had booked for the first part of September but unfortunately when you are married to a Navy man the best laid plans hardly ever work. This cruise was supposed to be to celebrate our 4 year anniversary. Now he will be deployed for it and I had to reschedule everything to the last sailing of the season. The UP side is that for the same price I got a better suite. The down side, the potential cruddy weather :(.

Sorry to hear you had to reschedule your cruise due to your husband's deployment. You are sure to have a wonderful cruise with some likely much needed R&R for your husband. I hope you have a wonderful time.

The Alaska cruising route will take you through a temperate rain forest. Just be well-prepared with waterproof clothing and footwear as well as nice warm layers. That way you should be be able to be out and about even if you have some less than desirable weather. Preparation is key!!! It can make a big difference in being able to experience Alaska to the fullest, no matter when you go. I hope you and your husband have a fabulous time!!!

Sorry to hear you had to reschedule your cruise due to your husband's deployment. You are sure to have a wonderful cruise with some likely much needed R&R for your husband. I hope you have a wonderful time.

The Alaska cruising route will take you through a temperate rain forest. Just be well-prepared with waterproof clothing and footwear as well as nice warm layers. That way you should be be able to be out and about even if you have some less than desirable weather. Preparation is key!!! It can make a big difference in being able to experience Alaska to the fullest, no matter when you go. I hope you and your husband have a fabulous time!!!

Thanks vbmom. It's the life I chose. I did it for 22 years so I do understand better than many. Just roll with the flow and plan for maximum flexibility.

We are pretty well set with waterproof clothing and footwear. Now I just have to work on the layering part. I'm cold in our house at 72 degrees so I have to make sure I have plenty to stay warm. He's a walking oven so I don't have to worry about him too much.

We are leaving on August 31st--so, will essentially be September cruisers. too.

We have followed the info people have given you.

Our son is in the Army and I know that he and his wife are not deterred by any weather conditions (except lightening). I am sure you will have a great time. We plan on it!:)

You will not find any change in service on the ship but maybe a few of the gift shop Alaska souvenirs will have been sold out. What you will find however is many of the shops ashore will have closed out a lot of their merchandise and there is a slight difference the level of service as many business do rely on student labour and they of course have headed back to college. However, there is often some great deals to be had on merchandise as many merchants don't want to hold goods over until next spring.

Archived