Tipping? - prepaid gratuity

Scottygirl1

Hi all - we are about to leave for our holiday and need to get some US$ for tipping. We have prepaid our gratuities but realise that we will like to tip extra special people for great service. We don't normally tip in New Zealand so I'd like the opinion of others who know what to do.

Do I need to tip my butler extra for a meal in the room? Do I need to tip for breakfast in my room? I don't want them to think I'm paying a bribe for good service! I'd much rather tip a bit extra at the end of the cruise. What is the correct thing to do?

There have been many threads on this topic and I am sure if you do a search you will see there are a variety of opinions.

Here is one

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1649999&highlight=tipping+butler

Extra tipping is not mandatory. It is a personal decision. Don't feel compelled to tip extra -- from speaking with staff I do not think most cruisers do so. I think CCers do it more than the general population

Some tip extra at the end of the cruise "automatically"; others only do so for extraordinary service (my policy); others tip "as they go" thinking it will give them better service. There are no rules.

I have generously tipped my spectacular stateroom attendant at the end of a cruise but not every cruise. When I sailed in a PH I did not tip my butler -- I did not use him at all. There were many cruisers who were monopolizing the butler's time with tons of small tasks -- I expect those are the people who (should have) tipped him well. LOL

Thanks for that. I was thinking along the same lines but don't want to seem "cheap" if I don't tip along the way! I will be using the butler for in room meals a couple of times and we will also be using the breakfast service. Last cruise we tipped very well at the end of the cruise for this.

I doubt you'll be considered "cheap" if you don't tip extra at the time of service. We haven't done so and still got marvelous service every day of the cruise. There is nothing to stop you from tipping extra at the end of the cruise if you wish -- and no rule that says you must.

If you host a huge cocktail party in your cabin, then you might want to tip extra on that day. But again, it's a personal decision.

Mura

Speaking in general terms, those people that tip extra - be it to a butler or a steward - do so at the end of the cruise rather than each time service is provided. That is not to say that nobody tips an attendant at the time of the room service (in regular cabins) but generaly extra tipping, if any, is done at the end of the cruise.

That has been my experience.

Hi all - we are about to leave for our holiday and need to get some US$ for tipping. We have prepaid our gratuities but realise that we will like to tip extra special people for great service. We don't normally tip in New Zealand so I'd like the opinion of others who know what to do.

Do I need to tip my butler extra for a meal in the room? Do I need to tip for breakfast in my room? I don't want them to think I'm paying a bribe for good service! I'd much rather tip a bit extra at the end of the cruise. What is the correct thing to do?

If we begin the cruise knowing that we intend to depend heavily on a particular staff member (say, our butler), we will usually sit down with him on our first day aboard to outline those expectations. For us, that meeting usually involves a pre-tip, but I won't presume to spend your money.

As has been discussed, the Butlers service several cabins, and because wonderful service is their priority should you choose to tip or not, advance notice of your needs is a VERY GOOD IDEA. Forewarned is Forearmed.

We have always believed in giving a partial tip in the beginning of the cruise and an additional amount before disembarking, especially to the room stewards and butler. It has always been our experience to have exceptional service throughout the ship. A surly or disgruntled crew member may exist on O, but I don't think we have found any, or if we did, he or she was soon forgotten!

Even more important, the crew members really appreciate the positive comments written in the surveys. They really do filter back to the employee. We have had a number of staff members thank us for positive comments from previous cruises. So if you are not inclined to tip additionally, the written word benefits the crew as well!

• 3 weeks later...

It is odd that we have to prepay when traveling from New Zealand - perhaps because we don't normally tip there that they think we'll not tip while on a cruise? No matter, we have found a couple of lovely staff who we will tip generously.

Could I ask though, as we have prepaid, what is a suitable tip for a great staff member?

It is odd that we have to prepay when traveling from New Zealand - perhaps because we don't normally tip there that they think we'll not tip while on a cruise? No matter, we have found a couple of lovely staff who we will tip generously.

Even if you have prepaid in your fare the crew that are serving you may not know you have prepaid until later in the cruise

They will treat you just as they do everyone else......very well IMO ;)

I cannot answer the "how much" part ..some people will tip $20 to $100.+

It is a personal choice & I am sure the crew will accept whatever you choose to give with a smile & maybe a hug ;)

Enjoy

Lyn

If we have received exceptional service we try and give a little extra at the end of the cruise.

If you know where the ship is going next and you have currency for that country the crew can always use it for a beer ashore. Works especially well with euros. It is a way to get rid of currency we will not be using again and the $10-20 of local currency is of use to the crew member.

As other have said you get exceptional service with or without tipping. In some ways they more appreciate the comment cards.

As other have said you get exceptional service with or without tipping. In some ways they more appreciate the comment cards.

You're right. When we handed our butler an envelope with an additional tip at the end of the cruise, he said that it was far more important to him that we made our positive views of his service known on the cruise questionnaire--that it was more important than cash.

It was kind of an awkward moment, but it was an honest one. Of course, we had left glowing remarks in our comments...and he received the extra cash, as well.

Could I ask though, as we have prepaid, what is a suitable tip for a great staff member?

Just a word about tipping - while every common in the U.S., we do recognize that such is not always true elsewhere.

Normally, most do not tip during the cruise - you will receive a statement at the end of the cruise. All extra tips you may have designated, such as drink service and such will be itemized. If it meets your approval, just sign.

All tips are distributed amongst all crew members. Should you wish to recognize one special member, I would suggest a private tip using cash, handed to that person in an envelope. Cash should be in the currency used on board.

As to an amount - I would nor presume to suggest a figure - let your own judgement guide you....

And have a wonderful cruise!!:)

Everyone has'prepaid gratuities' added th their bill. These can then be covered by your TA or as part of a promotion (or not). I think that it is important to note that the staff who are paid from this pool is a very large group and includes many who you might not think of. It is also normal for those with seniority to get a larger share. That's why it is common to give a little extra to your cabin stewards who deal with you every day. The currency is not all that important. Currency is fungible. US dollars in Europe for example are not as useful as Euros.

Everyone has'prepaid gratuities' added th their bill.

I think Scottygirl & other Australians etc pay the gratuities when they do the final payment not when they board the ship ...that is why they are called PRE paid not the Auto tip which is added to your S & S card

Not all get the "free air" or gratuities from their TA

But let's not open that can of worms again ;)

I think Scottygirl & other Australians etc pay the gratuities when they do the final payment not when they board the ship ...that is why they are called PRE paid not the Auto tip which is added to your S & S card

Not all get the "free air" or gratuities from their TA

But let's not open that can of worms again ;)

Ours was included in our total fare. like the previous poster said. He paid them, not a gift but just added to the total price.

We are about to have our first cruise on Oceania and I must say I have been wondering about tips. (Don't like tipping - here in Switzerland service is included in all prices so we aren't used to it!!)

Our TA tells us that our tips are pre-paid - some deal she has with Oceania. But even on Regent, when tips are always included, we gave a little something at the end of the cruise to the Butler and Stewardess provided they had been specially good. This was always appreciated and so I suppose we will do this again. At least I hope they will "merit" it!! that will be nice...

Ours was included in our total fare. like the previous poster said. He paid them, not a gift but just added to the total price.

Unclear ..who is he that paid them???

If added to you total fare then you paid them

For some in North America the cruise line gives them to you by way of your TA

They are not added to your fare

You will get a card in your cabin showing the Gratuities as a credit to your onboard account

Unclear ..who is he that paid them???

If added to you total fare then you paid them

For some in North America the cruise line gives them to you by way of your TA

They are not added to your fare

You will get a card in your cabin showing the Gratuities as a credit to your onboard account

Lyn, I interpreted that to mean the agent paid the gratuities as a convenience, but added them to the invoice that ScottyGirl paid. So, technically she paid them, but to the agent, not directly to the cruise line.

Lyn, I interpreted that to mean the agent paid the gratuities as a convenience, but added them to the invoice that ScottyGirl paid. So, technically she paid them, but to the agent, not directly to the cruise line.

VERY confusing Don ;)

Whether paid to O or the agent, they are paid. Which is another disadvantage people outside of North America encounter. If we are unhappy with the service we receive, we can change the tip amount. If it's already been paid, how can you do so?!

It's easy enough to increase the amount if we are delighted with service ...

Mura

Whether paid to O or the agent, they are paid. Which is another disadvantage people outside of North America encounter. If we are unhappy with the service we receive, we can change the tip amount. If it's already been paid, how can you do so?!

It's easy enough to increase the amount if we are delighted with service ...

Mura

People who are caught in that particular wormhole have a lot more to worry about than tipping, Mura.

They MUST book through consolidators who make all the rules and provide minimal customer service.

It has long been my theory that if they banded together they could force a change in the system, but nobody on their end is willing to force the issue, and WE cannot do it for them.

Archived