Carnival Dream vs. Freedom of the Seas

J&K08

Quite a dilemma I have. DW and I are currently booked on the Dream for Nov. 3rd on the Eastern Caribbean with final payment due in late August. I have been reading the various reviews for the Dream and they are inconsistent at best. The overall CC rating based on passenger reviews for the Dream is 75%. We are excited about the ports with the exception of Nassau which we will turn into a day on the boat.

Freedom of the Seas has the same itinerary (replacing Nassau for Cococay which seems to be a better port) leaving on Nov. 4th. It is about $200/PP more for the Freedom of the Seas which we can handle. The overall CC rating based on passenger reviews for Freedom of the Seas is 89%.

Which would be the better choice? Our 1st cruise was on the Sensation which got us hooked on cruising, even though we weren't too impressed with the ship, and this will be our 2nd cruise. DW (37) and I (38) are not partiers and don’t go to clubs to dance. She is an early to bed person and I work nights but am low key. We are more the sit at bar and socialize type people. I don’t gamble much but a game of Texas Hold’em would be something I do on our alone time on a sea day. She is a food snob and if the food is not good it will ruin her eating experience. Consistent food of a good quality is really important. She likes to work out and would probably be interested in the rock climbing. She has an elegant taste but also likes gaudy décor too. She is quite a conundrum. J

Any ideas? The most important things would be food quality/consistency and not feeling crowded.

I am posting on the Royal Caribbean forum too. Thank you for the help!

For $200pp more? FREEDOM OF THE SEAS

We sailed on the Carnival Dream and had a nice time, but it was nowhere near what we experienced a few months prior on Royal Caribbean.

Here's why I would pick the Freedom:

• The ship: Beautiful ship, great layout, better passenger flow, better space to passenger ratio.
  • The itinerary: Save Nassau for a cheapie short cruise. Coco Cay wins ANY day. Blissful, relaxing private island. If you sailed on the Sensation, you probably know what it's about, and if your opinion is anything like mine, Nassau is nothing to write home about. Coco Cay will give you a new port to explore.
  • Food: Whether you'll think that the food on Royal is better is something subjective, but what you can expect on them is a much wider variety. More dining venues, more options. It will give you something different to try every day.

I haven't sailed with Carnival yet (first cruise with them this summer), but have cruised on Freedom of the Seas twice.

I would definitely go with Freedom of the Seas for the low price difference. We had an unbelievable time on both of our FOS cruises and the only reason we are giving Carnival a try this summer is because we want to see some different ports and shows (also for us, with our family of 6, Carnival is A LOT cheaper).

One thing that FOS has which the Dream doesn't is the flowrider, which if you are active, you will LOVE and it's free! You will even have a good time just watching. The ice skating show is really nice also. The ship is absolutely beautiful. Also, Cococay is much nicer than Nassau. If you stay with the Dream and go to Nassau go to Blue Lagoon, IMO it has a similar feel to Cococay although IMO Cococay is still nicer. You should book Blue Lagoon early/online, it fills up fast.

For $200pp more? FREEDOM OF THE SEAS

We sailed on the Carnival Dream and had a nice time, but it was nowhere near what we experienced a few months prior on Royal Caribbean.

Here's why I would pick the Freedom:

• The ship: Beautiful ship, great layout, better passenger flow, better space to passenger ratio.
  • The itinerary: Save Nassau for a cheapie short cruise. Coco Cay wins ANY day. Blissful, relaxing private island. If you sailed on the Sensation, you probably know what it's about, and if your opinion is anything like mine, Nassau is nothing to write home about. Coco Cay will give you a new port to explore.
  • Food: Whether you'll think that the food on Royal is better is something subjective, but what you can expect on them is a much wider variety. More dining venues, more options. It will give you something different to try every day.

I don't want to get off topic on this thread, but how do you get your signature to go completely across? My signature is getting to big LOL. :confused:

OMGOSH DEFINATELY FREEDOM OF THE SEAS!!

Ok something about me I been on 48 cruises in my lifetime, and in the past six years I been on 8 cruises (Carnival and RCI) let me just say it this way the last 4 cruises we were on the Freedom of the Seas and 2 cruises prior to this have been on her sister ship LOS !! I not have to tell you why but this year in two months going on the Dream only because we want Pt. Canaveral our closest port and there are no other 7 night ships out of this port other than the FOS and there is Disney we never would do and then the Dream. We chose the Dream only because we want a change of scenery. We know what we giving up and what to expect on Carnival vs. RCI but its ok we need a change of decor. :)

I'd do Freedom in a heartbeat. I used to think Carnival food was better than Royal Caribbean, however, in the recent past a lot of the really good items were removed and "comfort" food was added. Somehow, I don't really consider meatloaf or fried chicken food for dinner on a cruise. I know some do, but, to me, it's just a cheap way out.

Royal Caribbean still, at least they did in Oct, serve regular cruise food. Another thing I like about Royal Caribbean is that with their anytime dining, we could make reservations for 7PM every night. That's when we normally have dinner at home and the early seating is too early and late ends up too late. We had the same wait staff every night and the same table without having to wait as we do on Carnival, thus on our next cruise we are back to late dining on Dream.

For younger people there are so many more things to do on Royal Caribbean, ie the rock wall, the flowrider, ice skating etc. We are older so we don't partake of those activities just as we don't go down the huge slide on Dream.

I also felt the dining room waitstaff is better on Freedom of the Seas as was the cabin service. Lots of reasons to go on Royal Caribbean, but as lyndamr said, we prefer sailing from Pt Canaveral and have been on Freedom's Eastern itinerary at least 8 times, and we don't particularly care for their Western Caribbean one,even though we have done it a couple of times, so it's another trip for us on Carnival Dream and the Western itinerary.

I know we will enjoy it, but it isn't the quality of Freedom of the Seas. But, here again, you get what you pay for.

Even though I am doing the Dream for the second time for convenience, cost and ports that Royal doesn't do or does differently, I would without hesitation say GO ON THE FREEDOM! She is a fantastic ship!

Carol

Katiel53 Im with you even when I eat out at restaurants I not want to see meatloaf or fried chicken on the menu...I not even eat that stuff at home!! I agree with you, to me that is just cheap food which I understand many eat and enjoy but its Carnivals way of cutting back even more so. (would they rather serve you a NY Strip steak or Porthouse or meatloaf...I not need to say more) No other cruise line I been on has meatloaf on its MDR menu not to mention fried chicken or even a burger...I do understand if they served those items at the lunch buffet, well enough said just not for me anytime. lol

Midwestgal what don't you like about the Dream I like to know...I know what I getting myself into as far as quality/selection of food but is there anything else I need to prepare myself with ?

There is a consensus on the Carnival forum to go on the Freedom of the Seas! :eek: I think I am going to call our TA and work on the change ASAP.

Food snob might be a bit harsh on my part for the DW. However, if service takes too long, food is not hot, steak not cooked to proper temperature, bread isn't fresh, and feeling neglected by the wait staff will throw her into a tailspin. It will really ruin her time. We are both aware it is essentially banquet food on most ships you sail on. I am more go with the flow and don't mind if food is just warm. I was a waiter and a cook many years ago so I do know the struggles of being understaffed in a restaurant so I am a bit more tolerant.

I just want to have a relaxing vacation without the kids so I am trying to minimize the potential conflicts. :) I am so happy DW does not read these forums or I would be in the middle of a conflict now! :D:cool:

Gee, sounds like I better try RCCL.

You would love their HC cabins, they are HUGE compared to regular cabins. My friends, the wife is in a wheelchair and she will even do a inside cabin HC on RCL just because of its nice size. The handles for drawers nice and low. Its a really good HC lay out.

Carnival doesnt give HC all that extra space.

I admit mostly I lean toward RCL for most ships, except for the oldest ones.

Quite a dilemma I have. DW and I are currently booked on the Dream for Nov. 3rd on the Eastern Caribbean with final payment due in late August. I have been reading the various reviews for the Dream and they are inconsistent at best. The overall CC rating based on passenger reviews for the Dream is 75%. We are excited about the ports with the exception of Nassau which we will turn into a day on the boat.

Freedom of the Seas has the same itinerary (replacing Nassau for Cococay which seems to be a better port) leaving on Nov. 4th. It is about $200/PP more for the Freedom of the Seas which we can handle. The overall CC rating based on passenger reviews for Freedom of the Seas is 89%.

Which would be the better choice? Our 1st cruise was on the Sensation which got us hooked on cruising, even though we weren't too impressed with the ship, and this will be our 2nd cruise. DW (37) and I (38) are not partiers and don’t go to clubs to dance. She is an early to bed person and I work nights but am low key. We are more the sit at bar and socialize type people. I don’t gamble much but a game of Texas Hold’em would be something I do on our alone time on a sea day. She is a food snob and if the food is not good it will ruin her eating experience. Consistent food of a good quality is really important. She likes to work out and would probably be interested in the rock climbing. She has an elegant taste but also likes gaudy décor too. She is quite a conundrum. J

Any ideas? The most important things would be food quality/consistency and not feeling crowded.

I am posting on the Royal Caribbean forum too. Thank you for the help!

Just got back from the dream, spend the money and do freedom of the seas. It wouldnt

recommend the dream, it is overly crowded with vey poorly designed public spaces, has very poor service in the mdr, and has some serious sewage issues. It was my last cruise with carnival after this experience.

With most posters giving the nod to Freedom of the Seas, why choose her over Dream? One comment I keep reading is Dream feels crowded and has long lines, but isn't Freedom larger and carry more passengers?

DW and I didn't feel the Dream fit us when we sailed her last year, but just wondering why we should try Freedom?

It's early in the thread yet.....:eek:

Yeah it really is....this one really could go on for days..........

Kinda interesting on a CCL forum that such decisive and quick responses in favor of the competition..

1- Entertainment passes Carnival in a heartbeat, you will find more broadway type shows where carnival offers more the jugglers and magic shows. I have heard on some boards Carnival doing away with live bands at the poolside on some of its ships, you always will have this on RCI.

2- Food! OMG no comparison especially lunch buffet! Breakfast you will find choices of potatoes where carnival only gives you those tiny hash browns you will find oven roasted potatoes and others along with a ham carving. Lunch Buffet you will find much much more assortments of meat dishes and a selection of carving meats...assortment of sides and veggies. Much better salad bar with greek salad, mozzerealla and tomatoes to name a couple. You remain to find sandwiches but they are on different types of breads and croissants...you have the 24 hour promenade cafe that offers all types of salads, cheeses, proscuitto, mozzerealla and tomatoes, pastries, pizza, cookies, etc. Carnival you only have the pizza and some ships ceasar salad there. MDR dinner I have to say this depends...sometimes equivalent to one another although Carnival gives you flat iron steak where RCI you find sirloin better cut of meats. Carnival will give you two small pieces of brocooli or carrots on the dish as the veggies you will get a portion of veggies on RCI for dinner. Carnival now offers comfort foods for dinner consisting of meatloaf and fried chicken and burgers something you never find on RCI menu. Room service menu alot more limited on CArnival where RCI you can order a hot breakfast inside your stateroom in room service. Carnival only offers continental breakfast. RCI last day offers international buffet OMG wow foods of all nations of all types throughout the promenade deck and a deck party with grilled meats...Carnival offers mexican buffet.

Staterooms are same although Carnivals a little bit larger which to me not much to say it makes a difference unless you have a family of 3/4 in the cabin. Many RCI ships stateroom bathrooms have shower doors where Carnival has curtains and the water can run into your bathroom. Bedding they both are comfortable.

Both ships are clean

I prefer desserts on Carnival over RCI

Pizza I prefer Carnivals

Burgers and hot dogs I not eat these types of foods but did take a bite of my honeys and I say Carnival's is better

RCI depending upon the ship you go on many have two specialty restaurants where Carnival has one.

Service on Carnival always a hit or miss on RCI excellent overall!

Cocktails are less costly on RCI than Carnival.

If the fact we didn't cruise on the Freedom of the Seas the past four cruises and her sister ship LOS two years prior to that we jump in a heartbeat for FOS we just need a change of scenery and Pt. Canaveral only has the one RCI ship..there is the Disney we never go on and then the Dream which we booked for the change of scenery. We know what we getting into and what to expect and not to expect, honestly, I never had a bad Carnival cruise just that RCI is much better overall.

Archived