Hilton Marina FL is it safe to walk outside?

BillnBev

We are staying overnight in Hilton Marina in Fort Lauderdale in Dec 2012 pre cruise and will arive early afternoon and wondering if it is safe to go out for a walk in the surounding area of the hotel? what is close to the hotel that we can walk to ie restaurant, bars etc? We have not been to the USA before

Hi,

We stayed here before our Equinox cruise, arrived late evenng after

our flight from the UK but the next morning, we took a walk to

a lovely little french style cafe under the bypass bridge, and

had breakfast outside, lovely homemade jam:)

we felt safe, no issues, then had a stroll along the side of the

Hotel where there is a promenade and super yachts moored,

and great view of the Cruise Terminal.

Mrs Blue Sky

I agree, it is a beautiful, friendly hotel with a great pool and pool bar. We had 2 days there post cruise and couldn't have wished for a better hotel.

You can take the water bus right outside the hotel to go up and down the waterways. Really interesting and a sight seeing tour in itself for not too much money. You can get on and off at different places. Very convenient and totally safe. :)

We stayed there a few months ago and had no problems at all walking around during the day and at night. There isn't a whole lot to see in that area, but you can watch the ships arriving and departing if your room is on the right side of the hotel, and there's a Walgreen's within walking distance if you forgot anything.

Just remember to purchase your wine on Saturday if you are sailing on Sunday. The Liquor Laws in Ft. Lauderdale don't allow the sale of wine on Sundays before Noon. I'm sure you will want to get to the ship way before then.

Have a great cruise.

• 1 month later...
We are staying overnight in Hilton Marina in Fort Lauderdale in Dec 2012 pre cruise and will arive early afternoon and wondering if it is safe to go out for a walk in the surounding area of the hotel? what is close to the hotel that we can walk to ie restaurant, bars etc? We have not been to the USA before

Southport raw bar! Several blocks away, cab is best, but if you like clams, seafood, etc. it is a place that should not be missed in FLL. It is not fancy, for sure, but on a warm or cool December evening, sit on the marina back deck, kick back, and let the food and drink begin!

The Water Taxi picks up right at your hotel:) Just ask the front

desk where the pick up point is......I can tell you it is a really nice

ride (in my opinion). Stops and starts, you can get on and off and

on again:D.....I have done it many times and never tire of it.

Is there any place close to shop? Where can I look for info about the water taxi? I'm thinking that is my best bet to entertain the kids for the afternoon or the pool...
there will be timetables etc. at the water taxi stop just by the hotel. There is a great Bagel shop for breakfast about a 5 min walk away. We have stayed on 17th many times and have walked around happily during the day and evening.

Ask at the desk about the restaurant along the intercoastal waterway. It's a nice walk past lots of yachts - it's on the second floor. I think it's connected with the hotel.

Is Fifteenth Street Fisheries... It is situated behind The Hilton Marina [though you'll have to walk around the block to get there given an intervening canal]... There is an outdoor bar on the first level and a restaurant on the second; both afford amazing views of the very impressive homes and boating traffic [there is an adjacent yacht marina] along the Intracoastal... If there in the [usually] 5:00/6:00 PM timeframe on a day in which there are cruise ships leaving Port Everglades, you'll also have a ring-side view of their parade to the ocean...

This place is always a favorite with my guests... You'll easily find their website via search...

If my memory serves (it has been a few years) we have stayed here a couple times and loved it - especially its proximity to the intercoastal. There is also a great mexican restaurant about a block away - sorry, I cannot remember the name but I'm sure the hotel could tell you, presuming it is still there. We went with family and felt completely safe walking around that area.

• 3 weeks later...
I don't know if there is a particular reason for asking this question. I would say that it is just about as safe as you can get.

The reason for the question simply lies with the fact we have never been to the USA before, and have only experience of what we see and hear on TV/media, and that sometimes frightens us because of all the gun crime.

Maybe we only get to hear the negative side of things, but unfortunately that is the press/media over here.

(no malice intended - sorry)

your safety doesnt really matter on what country your in but what part of a city your in. as in any city you have good parts and bad parts. but unless your trying to score some cocaine i dought you'll be anywhere near an area where you have to worry

Archived