Johnny Rockets and Vinegar

A simple solution:

Get a bottle of the malt vinegar from the Windjammer and take it up to Johnny Rockets to put on your fries. Nobody will stop you when you try to take it out of the WJ. If you plan on returning to JRs, tell your waiter that you'd like them to keep the vinegar behind the bar for your return visit. They'll be happy to do that. Otherwise just leave it on the table and it will get returned to the WJ.

I'm a Northeastern girl without a spec of English blood and I LOVE vinegar on my french fries. The old amusement parks in this area always had vinegar in the condiments area and that is where I started the love for it.

hmmm... fry toppings

ranch dressing

mayo

ketchup

vinegar

gravy

or the ultimate... gravy with cheese curds aka Poutine.

Poutine...no thanks. Had it a few times in Quebec and I don't need any more in my life! ;)

I had never heard of it until I moved to Maryland. Ocean City is famous for Thrasher's Fries,yum. Anyway they are the first place I saw vinegar for fries.

Not my thing, I like ketchup, but my kids liked it.

They use apple cider vinegar. Yum!

Thanks, but I don't think it was aioli. I hadn't heard of aioli so I looked it up. Aioli sounds like it's a creamy, mayonaise type sauce. The sauce in SF was a buttery sauce like scampi with lots of minced garlic. It's a good thing both hubby and I ate them - no fear of vampires for DAYS! :p Not very healthy but they tasted good. We found the fries at one of the open-air food stands along Fisherman's Wharf that sells dungeness crabs.

Love White Vinegar on fries in the NW. :)

Had Malt in the UK on fries but it is not the same.......

Can't even think of putting gravy/cheese on my fries!!! :eek: Also, that adds more calories!

Just out of curiosity, what part of the country are you from?

LOL...I'm from the country called Canada :)

I'm asking because on my first cruise when we were hanging out the day before in Miami, my friend warned me not to ask for vinegar at McDonalds because I would get looked at like a freak :p

I like any kind of vinegar on the fries! It's nice to change it up once in a while.

Also, you can just sprinkle or drown them. Either way works!

Thanks for the tips about where to find some vinegar on the ship!

Anyone ever try putting vinegar on plain ripple chips when you don't have salt and vineger chips? If you are going try it only use a bit. My wife thinks I am nuts, but she said yes when I asked for her hand in marriage. I too am from Canada.

Anyone ever try putting vinegar on plain ripple chips when you don't have salt and vineger chips? If you are going try it only use a bit. My wife thinks I am nuts, but she said yes when I asked for her hand in marriage. I too am from Canada.

I did this just yesterday. Awesome way to eat regular chips if you haven't got dip!

Let me add to the Rhode Island crowd...yep...common in these parts. :D

Being from Woonsocket, I prefer gravy a la poutine on my fries. LOL

I bet JR's does have vinegar, maybe not malt though. They do have it around here, not sure of the ships.

Ye Olde Fish & Chips! Outstanding!:D;)

I seem to recall on my cruise back in Jan on Mariner there was a bottle of Malt Vinegar at our table the second time we went to JR. It may have been someone prior to us requested it. I don't recall seeing it on the table the first time we went there.

hmmm... fry toppings

ranch dressing

mayo

ketchup

vinegar

gravy

or the ultimate... gravy with cheese curds aka Poutine.

It's probably not widely popular, but many people absolutely LOVE the Chick-Fil-A Sauce on their fries. This sauce is now available nation-wide, but was actually invented in one of the local franchises in my home town. Took them several years to figure out how to convert it to a large-scale recipe. It's sort of a cross between BBQ and a sweet mustard type sauce.

Very addicting... I usually grab a few extra packs when I'm there, and use it on my other chicken meals at home!

Theron

I'm from the old country(well one of them) .......you might have heard about fish n chips! Its a bit of a tradition over here in the UK.

I can guarantee that EVERY chippy (fish & chip restaurant)in GB and Ireland (and there are thousands of them) serves their chips with malt vinegar and salt! The salt is very important!

Saying that; I have never has vinegar on fries. Chips and fries are very different!

Ketchup on fries .....maybe mayo! Vinegar and salt on chips.........

I'm from the old country(well one of them) .......you might have heard about fish n chips! Its a bit of a tradition over here in the UK.

I can guarantee that EVERY chippy (fish & chip restaurant)in GB and Ireland (and there are thousands of them) serves their chips with malt vinegar and salt! The salt is very important!

Saying that; I have never has vinegar on fries. Chips and fries are very different!

Ketchup on fries .....maybe mayo! Vinegar and salt on chips.........

Hey Newtoncruise,

I always thought our fries were similar to your chips. What is the difference?

It's probably not widely popular, but many people absolutely LOVE the Chick-Fil-A Sauce on their fries. This sauce is now available nation-wide, but was actually invented in one of the local franchises in my home town. Took them several years to figure out how to convert it to a large-scale recipe. It's sort of a cross between BBQ and a sweet mustard type sauce.

Very addicting... I usually grab a few extra packs when I'm there, and use it on my other chicken meals at home!

Theron

I love Chick-Fil-A!!! I wish there was one closer to me. I'd be there every day!

I always thought our fries were similar to your chips. What is the difference?

They are similar, our are thicker and chunkier - fries tend to be skinney wee things

see below photo in link - thick cut chips that's how we make our chips in the UK

http://twelve-restaurant.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/gourmet-chips-at-twelve.html

If ever in the UK get a chip buttie - its a must :)

Archived