Alochol/Beverage cards

Sharon in AZ

OK, it's been 3 yrs since my last cruise & I'm sure some things have changed. I'm also sure this has been discussed ad nauseam, so sorry, but have to ask about the cards. I've purchased 2 $50 cards. In '09 each drink was just one punch in the card. Is that the same?..... or is the cost the same as it would if you signed for it and charged it to your cabin?

They still seem to be selling these kind of cards:

The $225 beverage card - soda, espresso and non-alcoholic beverages, to wine, beer and spirits. (value 250)

The $95 beverage card - same as above (value 100)

The $50 beverage card - same as above (value 50)

The $50 non Alcoholic card - soda and espresso to non-alcoholic beverages (value 50)

The $25 soda beverage value card - (value 50)

this is according to Hal website. I don't see the point of the middle two, you seems to be paying for what you get. There is a small discount for the top two and the bottom one.

OK, it's been 3 yrs since my last cruise & I'm sure some things have changed. I'm also sure this has been discussed ad nauseam, so sorry, but have to ask about the cards. I've purchased 2 $50 cards. In '09 each drink was just one punch in the card. Is that the same?..... or is the cost the same as it would if you signed for it and charged it to your cabin?

No more "Punching" the new cards are just a pre-paid debt type card (can be shared) where the discount is given up-front i.e. $250 worth of beverages for $225 so basically a 10% discount (if you use up all the "credit" on the card).

Does the soda beverage card include cappuchinos at the Explorers lounge? Or fruit juice? I am not much good with fizzy drinks, but get tired of just the iced tea as an option to water, apart from the juice at breakfast. Thanks for any info, I never seem to remember how it worked on the last cruise!

Does the soda beverage card include cappuchinos at the Explorers lounge? Or fruit juice? I am not much good with fizzy drinks, but get tired of just the iced tea as an option to water, apart from the juice at breakfast. Thanks for any info, I never seem to remember how it worked on the last cruise!

The soda card is for about 22 glasses of 6 ounces of soda - can not be used for anything else -- no coffees -- no juices.

The best deal is the $250 Beverage Card which can be used for anything -- alcoholic drinks, cans of sodas, speciality coffees, bottled water and juices if you get them from a bar/lounge. They subtract the price of the drink from the card as well as the 15% gratuity.

The advantage of the cards is that you don't have a bunch of receipts to keep track of and check at the end of your cruise when you get your shipboard account.

How do you know how much you have left on the card?

Each time you use the card you are given a receipt and it shows your remaining balance. :):) No worries at all;)

No more "Punching" the new cards are just a pre-paid debt type card (can be shared) where the discount is given up-front i.e. $250 worth of beverages for $225 so basically a 10% discount (if you use up all the "credit" on the card).

So, it sounds like using the card is exactly the same as charging to your cabin. Doesn't sound like any benefit unless you get the $250 card. I only got the $50 card because of points on my HAL credit card.

Thanks for all the replies & great info! I always turn to Cruise Critic when planning a cruise, but this time waited a bit too long.....we leave in 10 days!

BTW, maxout.......forgot to tell you.......I see you are from Hanford. My husband was born in Hanford and his family still lives in the Tulare and the area.

So, it sounds like using the card is exactly the same as charging to your cabin. Doesn't sound like any benefit unless you get the $250 card. I only got the $50 card because of points on my HAL credit card.

Thanks for all the replies & great info! I always turn to Cruise Critic when planning a cruise, but this time waited a bit too long.....we leave in 10 days!

Wish I could say we were leaving in 10 days! Have a great cruise Sharon:)

So, it sounds like using the card is exactly the same as charging to your cabin. Doesn't sound like any benefit unless you get the $250 card.

The benefit is that you don't need to keep all the receipts to proof out your bill at the end of the cruise. There will be one charge if you purchase the card on board, and no charge on your bill if you purchase in advance.

The "benefit" isn't financial, but it is real.

The $250 card gives you the best savings - they all offer the benefit of avoiding a lot of charges and receipts. It's not hard to use up a $250 card if you are ordering wine and/or a wine package in the MDR (and yes, you can use it for that). Just a note - you can't double dip - so if you are 3 or 4* then you don't want to use the card to order a wine package - but it's great for individual bottles of wine:)

BTW, maxout.......forgot to tell you.......I see you are from Hanford. My husband was born in Hanford and his family still lives in the Tulare and the area.

We've been here about 10 yrs now (because of work), we like the town a lot but of course cruising is better! :D :p

I'm sorry I forgot to answer the rest of your question. Thanks Maxout. Also now instead of getting cans of soda you get a glass of soda from the fountain thingy. Passengers seem to be a little unhappy about that change.

Undoubtedly, this seems to have reduced the value of the soda card.

IF you don't manage to use up your card they will refund the balance up to the $225 that you paid to your on board account.

This is what they did with our fourth card that we couldn't use up on our 10 day cruise.

The $25 soda beverage value card - (value 50)

this is according to Hal website. I don't see the point of the middle two, you seems to be paying for what you get. There is a small discount for the top two and the bottom one.

This card is not worth purchasing - all you get is 6oz of fountain soda in a glass. If you use the regular beverage card ($50.00) then you will get canned soda AND you can use it at Explorers as well.

So, can this $250 Beverage Card be used to purchase bottles of wine in the Pinnacle grill and/or the main dining room? If so, I'll definitely be buying one, probably two. 10% is 10%. Why not buy one? I know for certain I will be buying a bottle of wine every night for dinner. Why not save 10%? What happens in the unlikely event you don't use up the entire card value?

So, can this $250 Beverage Card be used to purchase bottles of wine in the Pinnacle grill and/or the main dining room? If so, I'll definitely be buying one, probably two. 10% is 10%. Why not buy one? I know for certain I will be buying a bottle of wine every night for dinner. Why not save 10%? What happens in the unlikely event you don't use up the entire card value?

Yes, you can use the card to buy bottles of wine. Anywhere.

If you don't use up the whole card, they refund your balance up to the 10%. In other words, if you spend $225 (what you paid) then there is nor refund. If you have spent $200 they'll refund $25 as obc. Hope that makes sense

Archived