Princess Pop Choir~Have You Tried it?

wizard-of-roz

Next time you want to have fun and meet some really fun people, join the Princess Pop Choir. It's not kareoke, it's not solo's, it's singing in a group, for fun and singing fun songs. You'll get to perform in the International Cafe area at the end of the cruise and I highly recommend it.

Look in the Patters [the daily paper put in your cabin each night] for the time and place to meet for rehearsals. Usually, it's in the Wheelhouse Bar for about an hour several days before the final performance.

I've been a spectator but not a participant. And the shipboard population heaves a sigh of relief.:eek:

YOU are exactly the type of participant the choir needs and loves. We had the greatest group of guys and gals who couldn't keep a note if it was saftey pinned to them....but, the smiles and joy that were exuded were worth it all and, the wonderful staff person who led us all was adorable!

I do believe the entire ship was present in the chairs on the stairs and at the rails to hear us.....it was so much fun!! :D

YOU are exactly the type of participant the choir needs and loves. We had the greatest group of guys and gals who couldn't keep a note if it was saftey pinned to them....but, the smiles and joy that were exuded were worth it all and, the wonderful staff person who led us all was adorable!

I do believe the entire ship was present in the chairs on the stairs and at the rails to hear us.....it was so much fun!! :D

On both the Hawaiian and Alaskan cruises as well as a Mexican my friend and I have "joined"...she sings beautifully, I DON'T! didn't matter one bit, it all balanced out in the end and we had fun and got to know our fellow choir buddies. Practices didn't really interfere with what we wanted to do and it was a real trip seeing everyone enjoy our performance as much as we enjoyed performing. Last trip (Alaska) had many guys join so we had some "part" selections and even some choreography...

On both the Hawaiian and Alaskan cruises as well as a Mexican my friend and I have "joined"...she sings beautifully, I DON'T! didn't matter one bit, it all balanced out in the end and we had fun and got to know our fellow choir buddies. Practices didn't really interfere with what we wanted to do and it was a real trip seeing everyone enjoy our performance as much as we enjoyed performing. Last trip (Alaska) had many guys join so we had some "part" selections and even some choreography...

Sounds like you had as much fun as we did. I'm cruising in October and I plan to do the choir again. I hope they keep it going.

It was fun a couple of years ago when the songs and idea were new. But I'm so sick and tired of singing Isn't She Lovely, Sweet Caroline, We Are The Champions, etc that I no longer participate or watch. :(

Princess, please get some new songs!!!

It was fun a couple of years ago when the songs and idea were new. But I'm so sick and tired of singing Isn't She Lovely, Sweet Caroline, We Are The Champions, etc that I no longer participate or watch. :(

I did the Princess Pop Choir last year on the CB and enjoyed every minute. I met people there who became my travel companions and we shared a lot of time together. I do agree that I wish they would come up with some new songs. There are so many to chose from and the ones they use are difficult in spots. But is was fantastic fun and I can hardly wait to do it again. It made my cruise extra special.

I did the Princess Pop Choir on both Ruby (30 days) and Coral (14 days) last year, had a fantastic time. We had choir practice on sea days and did performances in Atrium, plenty pax there. Theatre. No auditions and hosted by one of the ship's entertainment staff. Plus a little party after the performance, the bubbly on Princess! Great social interaction.

Good variety of songs and on both ships we had around 20 to 30 in choir. On P&O Arcadia this year, we had 60 in the choir.

I am in a choir at home http://www.singaustralia.com.au

But I agree. Princess get some new songs!

Edited by NSWP

We sing in a choir normally and thought the Princess Pop Choir would be fun. While it was interesting we weren't able to sing the parts we can hear from the original recordings, and unfortunately they scheduled the last practice in conflict with dinner.

For a sing-along its not a bad experience.

Exactly. Which is why I don't join it anymore. We had one wonderful choir last year on the Pacific, when the leader was the ship's piano player. He, as a professional, gave us different songs with 4 part harmony. This was a semi professional performance and it would be great to participate in something like this again. Otherwise, the same old songs sung off key, led by inexperienced staff, will have to do without me.

I did the Princess Pop Choir on both Ruby (30 days) and Coral (14 days) last year, had a fantastic time. We had choir practice on sea days and did performances in Atrium, plenty pax there. Theatre. No auditions and hosted by one of the ship's entertainment staff. Plus a little party after the performance, the bubbly on Princess! Great social interaction.

Good variety of songs and on both ships we had around 20 to 30 in choir. On P&O Arcadia this year, we had 60 in the choir.

I am in a choir at home http://www.singaustralia.com.au

But I agree. Princess get some new songs!

What a great idea and fantastic repertoire! Is there anyplace that has some samples of your singing? I also sing in our church choir here in the USA and we have a huge choir festival every summer in a little town called Ocean Grove, New Jersey, at an awesome auditorium that is well over 100 years old.

http://www.oceangrove.org/pages/choirfestival_donation. Forget the donation part, just thought you might like to see some photos of my area. I think that there are videos on Youtube.

What a great idea and fantastic repertoire! Is there anyplace that has some samples of your singing? I also sing in our church choir here in the USA and we have a huge choir festival every summer in a little town called Ocean Grove, New Jersey, at an awesome auditorium that is well over 100 years old.

http://www.oceangrove.org/pages/choirfestival_donation. Forget the donation part, just thought you might like to see some photos of my area. I think that there are videos on Youtube.

Thanks for sharing the wonderful photos. I absolutely love the New England towns.

Add 'Waterloo' to that list. As much as I like singing , the choice of songs is the main reason I don't partake :rolleyes:.

Add 'Waterloo' to that list. As much as I like singing , the choice of songs is the main reason I don't partake :rolleyes:.

Yep! The songs on our March cruise were exactly these, as mentioned. I don't mind.....the fun is in the singing and joining with a bunch of strangers to do it, with a little choreography mixed in. Another way to make friends and pass some free time!

Thanks for sharing the wonderful photos. I absolutely love the New England towns.

Actually, Roz, that is a seaside town in Monmouth County, New Jersey. Until the 60's you couldn't drive, do yard work, go to the beach, or even ride a bike there on Sunday. It was formed as a religious town. They actually put chains up on gates into the town and took them down on Sunday/Monday at midnight. You couldn't even park your car and had to move it to the next town if you wanted to use it on Sunday, or didn't have a garage. It's still like taking an hour vacation when I use my lunch break to walk over there.

Actually, Roz, that is a seaside town in Monmouth County, New Jersey. Until the 60's you couldn't drive, do yard work, go to the beach, or even ride a bike there on Sunday. It was formed as a religious town. They actually put chains up on gates into the town and took them down on Sunday/Monday at midnight. You couldn't even park your car and had to move it to the next town if you wanted to use it on Sunday, or didn't have a garage. It's still like taking an hour vacation when I use my lunch break to walk over there.

As my Dad would say; "The good old days!"

Edited by wizard-of-roz

DH and I participated in Princess Pop Choir during our 10-night Panama Canal voyage in January, 2010. Here's an excerpt from my cruise review:

...Besides the Chef's Table, another highlight of our Island Princess cruise was our participation in the recently-introduced Princess Pop Choir. Under the direction of charismatic and talented entertainer Joe Sackenheim, we had three sea-day rehearsals during which we perfected six songs with simple choreography. We performed in the Atrium on the afternoon of the sea day prior to our arrival in Ocho Rios and were feted with a Champagne reception following the show. Princess Pop Choir was great fun and one of the most enjoyable activities that we've enjoyed on our many cruises...

We thought it would be fun to do Pop Choir again on the Crown Princess in January of this year when Lisa Ball was directing the group, but we declined when we learned that the group would be performing the same songs. Hopefully, there will be a new repertoire when we're on the Ruby in January, 2013.

Bon Voyage!

Chris

DH and I participated in Princess Pop Choir during our 10-night Panama Canal voyage in January, 2010. Here's an excerpt from my cruise review:

...Besides the Chef's Table, another highlight of our Island Princess cruise was our participation in the recently-introduced Princess Pop Choir. Under the direction of charismatic and talented entertainer Joe Sackenheim, we had three sea-day rehearsals during which we perfected six songs with simple choreography. We performed in the Atrium on the afternoon of the sea day prior to our arrival in Ocho Rios and were feted with a Champagne reception following the show. Princess Pop Choir was great fun and one of the most enjoyable activities that we've enjoyed on our many cruises...

We thought it would be fun to do Pop Choir again on the Crown Princess in January of this year when Lisa Ball was directing the group, but we declined when we learned that the group would be performing the same songs. Hopefully, there will be a new repertoire when we're on the Ruby in January, 2013.

Bon Voyage!

Chris

As I stated in a previous post, the one and only time there have been different songs is when we were on the Pacific. All the same on the Caribbean, Diamond, Grand, Star, Sapphire and Ocean, Emerald and Ruby. These are the ships we have sailed on since the choir started.

As I stated in a previous post, the one and only time there have been different songs is when we were on the Pacific. All the same on the Caribbean, Diamond, Grand, Star, Sapphire and Ocean, Emerald and Ruby. These are the ships we have sailed on since the choir started.

The songs may not change but the people sure do and that makes it fun for us.......maybe by the time I really learn the words they'll change the songs and I'll have to start all over again...:(

Edited by wizard-of-roz