Drivers License just expired, any issues?

4x4TX

Make sure your copy of the temporary renewal slip doesn't have an expiration date. Sometimes those are only good about 30 days...just long enough to get your "real" one.

In Texas you can't just go to the DVM and get a photo ID/license. Picture is taken and then mailed to you. At my last renewal there was equipment problems in Austin so my temporary slip expired.

Lol thank you...also since I already renewed I can't go to my local DMV...in their system I'm good, I'm just missing the hard copy license that they sent and got lost in the mail. I called today and they are resending a new one but said it would take 2-3 weeks with no expedited option.

I think everyone is missing the fact that THE OP DID RENEW THEIR LICENSE!!!!!!! So everyone please stop posting they need to renew- they DID renew and they have the paper copy from the DMV.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I think everyone is missing the fact that THE OP DID RENEW THEIR LICENSE!!!!!!! So everyone please stop posting they need to renew- they DID renew and they have the paper copy from the DMV.

My mistake.......please accept my apology for being to rash.......I hope everything works out well for your vacation........:)

Also I think a lot of posters are under the assumption that you can go into the DMV and get the license that day~ not all states work that way. Sounds like in Texas they mail you the license, while here in Arizona I can order a new license online~ but then again my first license I got in 1998 is still valid until 2032~!

And just how many people do you think really look at the date of expiration? All they're doing is checking the name and the photo. I would take my chances!

Sorry to disagree, but I know for a fact that most of the time, especially at the airport, they most certainly do check your ID every closely. I'm always being told, (as I have beenmost of my life) that I don't look my age. It was annoying when I was younger now I don't care so much. LOL;) But it does prove that they are checking your date of birth and if they are checking that, you can be sure they are checking to see the date your documents expire. I would not pay hundreds of dollars, thousands in some cases, for a cruise and take a change on being turned away. Go and get some kind of documentation from the DMV that you have applied for a new Driver's License or if they can, have them issue you a new one on the spot (I've never heard of them doing this though). Be sure to have a government- issued birth certificate (not the one they gave your parents at the hospital) to back it up.

Good luck and happy cruising!:D

Let me clarify....#1 I already renewed my license back in may...my license expired in July....I was two months early in renewing so I did think ahead. Problem is my id got lost in the mail apparently. I do have the printout from the Texas DMV saying that paper is now my DL....so I think worst case that printout and my old dl with my photo will work. In addition I could bring my passport also with my picture on it even though its expired. I will have my birth certificate with me too.

I think I would be too nervous to take the chance. Can you go to the local Driver License office and get a State ID card with a photo? I would hate to see a $20 or less ID card cost you your cruise. They can be very lax or a big PIA with rules. Messing with the TSA or Customs is not a fun place to be.

To my knowledge (my daughter is an immigration attorney) an expired passport is still valid ID. You cannot use it to travel on, but it is still valid ID. So take the DL stuff and the passport and I think you would be okay. Also check with Carnival and see what they say.

To my knowledge (my daughter is an immigration attorney) an expired passport is still valid ID. You cannot use it to travel on, but it is still valid ID. So take the DL stuff and the passport and I think you would be okay. Also check with Carnival and see what they say.

Thanks. I was thinking it would be a good idea to bring it too just for another I'd with my picture. I filled out the renewal for my passport but they require you to mail the old book back in....so I'll hold off and bring it with me. I'll also check with my pvp.

that used to be the rule...its no longer since about 10 years ago...

I would think you might be ok with the temp paper from the DMV unless it has an expiration date. It would be a good idea to pass this through a Carnival rep.

For those who say "Go get a new one", in Texas they don't give them to you at the office. You apply and its mailed to you. Though it might be worth a try to go and ask.

Travel insurance?

Lol thank you...also since I already renewed I can't go to my local DMV...in their system I'm good, I'm just missing the hard copy license that they sent and got lost in the mail. I called today and they are resending a new one but said it would take 2-3 weeks with no expedited option.

had to order a duplicate license for DD not too long ago, and they told me the same thing.. I had it inside of a week. Hopefully yours will make it in time!

I would definitely bring any documentation you have that says you have a 'current' license...don't go on 'they won't check'!! You've got too much damn money invested for it to go wrong now!

that used to be the rule...its no longer since about 10 years ago...

Then the State Department should update their website, it still says that an expired Passport is still proof of citizenship.

"I'm renewing my passport. Do I get the old one back?

a:Yes, we return the old, cancelled passport to you although it may be sent separately from your new passport. It is a good idea to keep it in a safe place as it is considered proof of your U.S. citizenship. "

http://travel.state.gov/passport/faq/faq_1741.html

We had this happen in Feb. on the Fantasy with my mother. She had not driven in years and no one thought about her DL being expired until a few days before the cruise. We could not just go get an ID for her, has to be ordered. The website says a government issued photo I.D., never mentions anything about being valid. I printed this off just in case we had a problem. They checked every ones ID including hers and we went through without a problem.

Copied from Carnivals website: A government-issued photo ID is also required for all guests, including children 16 and over.

Got her an ID made later but we had no problems.

Then the State Department should update their website, it still says that an expired Passport is still proof of citizenship.

"I'm renewing my passport. Do I get the old one back?

a:Yes, we return the old, cancelled passport to you although it may be sent separately from your new passport. It is a good idea to keep it in a safe place as it is considered proof of your U.S. citizenship. "

http://travel.state.gov/passport/faq/faq_1741.html

but its the Department of Homeland security that decides what you need to travel.

you have to have a valid govt issued ID and your birth certificate and if you are married and female you will need your marriage liscense. I wouldnt take any chances. I would go down to the DMV and let them know what happened and see if they can issue you one there or atleast a state id

In our state you get your license immediately. I guess we are lucky. Strange that TX doesn't do that.

Texas used to print your license immediately years ago. Forgeries got to be so rampant that they stopped doing it so they could add extra security features to the license.

but its the Department of Homeland security that decides what you need to travel.

here is the Customs and Border patrol website(part of DHS)

http://getyouhome.gov/html/eng_map.html

closed circuit cruises are listed under special groups. In rereading it again they do sometimes make reference to unexpired documents and sometimes they don't. The Government issued ID and Passport sections don't specifically say unexpired.,,,but I have been told that is implied by saying they need to be valid.

if you are traveling within 2 weeks you can make an appointment and go to the passport agency and get your passport renewal the same day. it's a bit more money but well worth it. and a passport is the best ID you can have!

if you are traveling within 2 weeks you can make an appointment and go to the passport agency and get your passport renewal the same day. it's a bit more money but well worth it. and a passport is the best ID you can have!

I was going to suggest this as well

Just some news to note: My husband recently traveled between O'hare and Logan with an expired license. In fact, the TSA front line person (first in the long line of checking IDs) alerted him of the fact his license was expired. We were both in shock, as it was just shortly after the expiration date, and I just figured he had taken care of getting a new license. I was right there to pull out our passports (which we JUST got in January) to prove additional non-expired identification.

She laughed and said not to worry, and that she didn't need to see his passport. But advised him NOT to rent a car as her niece or cousin (some relative) was responsible for $30,000 in damages in a car accident involving her rental car where she was driving with an expired license. She was stuck with the costs, even though "the accident was not her fault" and you can only imagine her insurance premiums today! :eek:

Needless to say, I had to fight like crazy with husband NOT to rent a car or drive until we returned to the Land of Lincoln to take care of the matter.

No fees, no inconvenience... he got his license renewed online thanks to the safe driver program... even though it was almost 3 weeks after his license expired.

I know this means absolutely NOTHING to cruising, but here are my two cents: I would never travel out of the country without a valid passport. A driver's license ranks below a valid US passport, and even buying a beer out of state, it was easier to use a passport, than a "Don't Illinois Me" driver's license.

Louisiana gives you your LDL right away, two minutes maybe, but TX gives out a piece of paper, no photo. If you take all expired items and the renewal paper as proof of who you are and you have already checked in your bags, you may have a problem getting them off the ship if you are denied boarding. Take your luggage with you, don't check it, just in case. I watched a tv show about loading and unloading cruise ships and so many don't make it because of improper id. I wish you luck, but you should call Carnival tomorrow to be sure what to expect. So sorry, good luck. lynzie

here is the Customs and Border patrol website(part of DHS)

http://getyouhome.gov/html/eng_map.html

closed circuit cruises are listed under special groups. In rereading it again they do sometimes make reference to unexpired documents and sometimes they don't. The Government issued ID and Passport sections don't specifically say unexpired.,,,but I have been told that is implied by saying they need to be valid.

It does raise an interesting question and not one that I would want to test :) but DHS requires proof of both identity and citizenship, which a traveler can do by presenting appropriate documentation. If an expired passport is still proof of citizenship then functionally it is no different than presenting one's birth certificate when coupled with a government issued ID.

If someone grabbed their expired passport by mistake (I've read of this happening) then as a last ditch effort this might save their cruise if they were not able to obtain one of the documents on the list prior to sailing.

I wouldn't risk it. It is a lot of money to lose when they turn you away. It seems to be much less hassle to just go down to the local office and get one made. Explain to them that yours was lost in the mail and then you are set to go when you get to the port. It saves the chance of heartbreak. I'm just sayin...

Archived