Santorini - getting from the ship

pke-atlanta

I'll be on the Celebrity Eclipse next month in the Meditarranean. One of the ports is Santorini. I've read in prio (old) threads some passengers have had trouble and long waits with tenders getting into Santorini, if they haven't booked a ship's excursion. And they recommended booking an EARLY excursion to make sure you get in and have time to visit Oia.

Is this still an issue? Or is that a problem that was solved several years back? Would love to hear from any of you who have been there in the past few years.

Thanks!

Yes...

Disembarkation is by tender... those purchasing Celebrity excursions go first.

There is priority tendering for about a 1,000 people... which means even the priority people get to line up.. Everyone wants to be the first off the ship..

Getting back to the ship is not much fun either ... expect long lines or you can hike down the donkey stairs... bring some discardable shoes along if you pick that option.

I'll be on the Celebrity Eclipse next month in the Meditarranean. One of the ports is Santorini. I've read in prio (old) threads some passengers have had trouble and long waits with tenders getting into Santorini, if they haven't booked a ship's excursion. And they recommended booking an EARLY excursion to make sure you get in and have time to visit Oia.

Is this still an issue? Or is that a problem that was solved several years back? Would love to hear from any of you who have been there in the past few years.

Thanks!

The problem is that Greek law doesn't all the cruiselines to use their lifeboats to tender. You must use the Greek boats.

pk,

I was on the Equinox last fall. We got on the tenders and were on the shore ready to go up the cable car by 9:30. We did not have priority boarding.

We were the only ship in the caldera this early.

It was going back to ship that was a long delay. By then there were five ships in caldera. Long line to cable car. We took the donkey trail, worst decision we ever made. But we got down to the lovely tent with Celebrity folks with cold towels and water, punch.

the ship first stops in one location for those who have booked ship excursions. Once they have gotten ashore, the ship moves and drops anchor off the tram/donkey path and the rest of the passengers are tendered off. There is nothing at the first stop other than bus parking, so don't bother to try to convince them to let you go ashore...you will be stranded with no taxis.

Tendering then proceeds with priority passengers going first. Depending on the cruise, there can be a lot of priority passengers....but eventually you will get to shore and get to the tram/donkeys for the ride up (you can walk for free...ride costs Euros). Once at the top, you can walk to taxis/buses(?) that will take you to Ola. Returning, you either have to queue up for the tram, ride a donkey down or what most do, out of desperation, walk down. You walk on the same path with the donkeys, thus the suggestion that you wear either old or disposable shoes.

Some cruises arrive at 2PM and leave around 10PM, others arrive much earlier in the day and leave well before sunset. I would suggest that you plan on not seeing the sunset at Ola....unless you want to swim to the next port to meet the ship....it's possible earlier or later in the year when the sunset is earlier....but honestly, you'll see the sunset from the ship and that view is pretty darn good as well.

It was no problem getting into the island, rushed around like a crazy person , got on shore and up the cable car by 9:30 and most places where closed

I would first take the bus down to opa (?) walk around , then get back to main town and walk around

Do worry be happy:D

When we stopped there was only one stopping place. We didn't have anything booked, took our time and left the ship around 9.30. By that time there was no queue to get off and though they were still giving out tickets there was no wait for numbers to be called. And there was no queue for the cable car either, was really relaxed and easy

Thanks!

Check to see how many ships are in port with you, both when you arrive and depart. That will give you an idea of how crowded it will be. On our Equinox cruise in September, they have switched the days for Mykonos and Santorini. Now we only have one ship in port besides ours the entire day and they arrive at 2 and leave at 10pm. We are there from 7am-6pm, so we only have to fight the other 2500 people from our ship for a cable car.

Been there twice with no real problems. Pay attention to when the excursions leave and try to head out before (or after) them. As far as coming back, the line up for the gondola will be huge.

We've walked down both times and while it wasn't the most pleasant experience (donkey crap and cranky donkeys) it was quicker than waiting in line.

You'll love Santorini.

Thanks!

Last year we made sure we had tickets to get off the ship really early. Six of us got off, I think around 8 a.m., maybe even 7:30, no problem, no crowds. Got right on a tender, got to the finicular, got tickets and were whisked right up to the top. We hiked to Oia. When you go make sure the mode of transport you use, if you plan to take a taxi or bus to Oia, is operating. We planned on sharing cabs back but they went on strike around 10 a.m. after many people were dropped off in Oia. Luckily it's very easy to take the bus back to the port. However, we were glad we arrived back in Fira with two hours to spare, because there were 5 ships in port and the line to ride the finicular down was over an hour. Then we had the tender to ride to the ship. :( Oia is lovely. The hike was easy and fun. You can do Oia on your own easily, and as you face the ocean from 'downtown' where the busses and taxis drop you off, veer left and keep going a ways and find a restaurant farther down the island.

The problem is that Greek law doesn't all the cruiselines to use their lifeboats to tender. You must use the Greek boats.

I believe we used the Celebrity tenders. We also had NO PROBLEM getting off the ship really early on our own. But I got the tickets as soon as they would let me. Can't remember if that was the night before or early in the morning the morning we arrived.

As the range of responses from previous posters has indicated it depends on the time of your arrival and the number of ships in port.

We were on the Equinox in early June and were fortunate to arrive early and be the only large ship visiting Santorini.

I wasn't even aware of the first stop to disembark passengers who purchased cruise ship tours as I was still sleeping

After breakfast we went to the lounge where the priority tickets were being handed out for the tenders and within 30 minutes we were on our way.

It was a hot day so we chose to take the cable car up. The lineup is short as you can see from the first picture.

The second picture shows donkeys and people hiking up the hill.

I walked to the bus station where I caught the bus to Oia and spent about 3 hours taking pictures and browsing through the shops. After returning by bus at about 2:30 I walked around Fira and then took the cable car to the bottom of the hill for a short wait for the tender back to the ship.

As we pulled away I could see the lines starting to build as I believe the last tender was at 4:30 or 5 but I do recall that we left on time with everyone on board.

As I hope you can see from the third picture, however you get there and however long it takes it is well worth it.

DSC01169-L.jpg

DSC01174-L.jpg

DSC01202-L.jpg

As the range of responses from previous posters has indicated it depends on the time of your arrival and the number of ships in port.

We were on the Equinox in early June and were fortunate to arrive early and be the only large ship visiting Santorini.

I wasn't even aware of the first stop to disembark passengers who purchased cruise ship tours as I was still sleeping

After breakfast we went to the lounge where the priority tickets were being handed out for the tenders and within 30 minutes we were on our way.

It was a hot day so we chose to take the cable car up. The lineup is short as you can see from the first picture.

The second picture shows donkeys and people hiking up the hill.

I walked to the bus station where I caught the bus to Oia and spent about 3 hours taking pictures and browsing through the shops. After returning by bus at about 2:30 I walked around Fire and then took the cable car to the bottom of the hill for a short wait for the tender back to the ship.

As we pulled away I could see the lines starting to build as I believe the last tender was at 4:30 or 5 but I do recall that we left on time with everyone on board.

As I hope you can see from the third picture, however you get there and however long it takes it is well worth it.

DSC01169-L.jpg

DSC01174-L.jpg

DSC01202-L.jpg

That sure was a nice cruise :D

That sure was a nice cruise :D

If I didn't have the pictures I would have thought I was dreaming.

I want to go back to Santorini with a better camera. Even a fairly good point and shoot like mine doesn't capture the colors perfectly.

At the risk of opening my life to the world if you click on one of the pictures you will see the rest of them

I want to go back to Santorini with a better camera. Even a fairly good point and shoot like mine doesn't capture the colors perfectly.

At the risk of opening my life to the world if you click on one of the pictures you will see the rest of them

Thank you so much for sharing your photos! I am visiting in November on the Silhoutte and was wondering about the 'donkey trail'. This provided great insight to how it works. Your photo are wonderful, I hope I am able to capture this as well!

Only ship in port in early May. Not priority passengers but off the ship, picked up rental car and touring Akrotiri on our own by 11:30 am. Stopped at Santo Winery (fantastic view) on the drive to the opposite end of the island- Oia. Walked about Oia, dropped off the car in Thira and still had time for a quick walkabout. Back onboard by 5:30 for a sailaway at 6pm. It was unforgettable and very doable on your own.

Last year we made sure we had tickets to get off the ship really early. Six of us got off, I think around 8 a.m., maybe even 7:30, no problem, no crowds. Got right on a tender, got to the finicular, got tickets and were whisked right up to the top. We hiked to Oia. When you go make sure the mode of transport you use, if you plan to take a taxi or bus to Oia, is operating. We planned on sharing cabs back but they went on strike around 10 a.m. after many people were dropped off in Oia. Luckily it's very easy to take the bus back to the port. However, we were glad we arrived back in Fira with two hours to spare, because there were 5 ships in port and the line to ride the finicular down was over an hour. Then we had the tender to ride to the ship. :( Oia is lovely. The hike was easy and fun. You can do Oia on your own easily, and as you face the ocean from 'downtown' where the busses and taxis drop you off, veer left and keep going a ways and find a restaurant farther down the island.

Mary - the hike from Fira to Oia, do you have the site that you got the directions/route from or can you point me in the right direction where to start researching?

Tracy

We were on the Equinox this May, similar itinerary. We were scheduled from 2-10 in Santorini.

You could go to the atrium at 9 that same day to pick up tender tickets; we got in line about 30 minutes early and got tickets for the first tender with no trouble.

They did let off cruise ship tour people at a different area, then started the regular tendering near Fira. We were on shore and up the cable car before 3. The line looked daunting but went fairly fast.

We got back to Fira around 8:30-9:00; there was no line for the cable car at that time, so we were on the ship by 9:15, at least. Maybe it was more like 9.

I said the same thing. Booked my 2nd trip to santorini. Wouldn't you know the day we were in santorini it RAINED!!!!!!!!!!! I was so sad :( Finally a good camera and it's raining. So my pics weren't any better with the good camera! lol

We loved Santorini. We were on the first tender off, took the cable car up. Grabbed a taxi to Oia and spent an hour there, could have spent longer. Taxi took us back in time to meet our ride to the marina. Got on a sailboat and spent several hours sailing with wonderful drinks and food. They brought us back to the cable car. The line was soooo long so we walked down. Not a big deal at all, kind of fun. It was a great day and I can't wait to go back.

Santorini is worth the wait though. We lucked out being the first ship in port in the morning, so the wait for the cable car was only 5 minutes. Heading back, we beat the mad rush and waited maybe 20 minutes at the most.

But it was one of my favorite ports... the photos speak for themselves! :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robynalman/sets/72157630118689196/

Thanks for all the quick responses! Yes, I've been to Santorini a couple of times and really like it, but I've arrived via plane and spent days there. So I was anxious after reading about the experiences others have had with long tender and tram lines.

I was hoping to avoid having to do a ship excursion, as I mainly want to spend time in Oia again. Found a fantastic little restaurant on the caldera with great views of both the sea and Oia itself called The Red Bicycle that I'm eager to get back to.

Our ship arrives at 10AM and departs at 9PM. What's the best way for me to find out which other ships will be there at the same time and what their schedules are?

Again, thanks. You folks are all very helpful!

Thanks for all the quick responses! Yes, I've been to Santorini a couple of times and really like it, but I've arrived via plane and spent days there. So I was anxious after reading about the experiences others have had with long tender and tram lines.

I was hoping to avoid having to do a ship excursion, as I mainly want to spend time in Oia again. Found a fantastic little restaurant on the caldera with great views of both the sea and Oia itself called The Red Bicycle that I'm eager to get back to.

Our ship arrives at 10AM and departs at 9PM. What's the best way for me to find out which other ships will be there at the same time and what their schedules are?

Again, thanks. You folks are all very helpful!

This is a great site for checking out which other ships are in port http://cruisett.com/ports.php

For those who haven't been to Santorini, it is a long trek up and down with the donkeys. That crater is high.

2577780520096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

The trail zigs and zags.

2779799630096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

Superzoom of the trams passing each other.

2036596700096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

All these shots were taken from the ship. We got off the ship early and returned early, via the trams and avoided the lines.

Archived