Galveston Parking

crazyboys

I noticed that there is what appears to be an elevated walkway that crosses over Harborview Drive to the terminal right around 25th street. Is this how you cross the street to get to the terminal and is it connected to a parking garage that anyone can use? We are using Galveston Park N Cruise and it looks like it would be an easy walk using this elevated walkway.

I noticed that there is what appears to be an elevated walkway that crosses over Harborview Drive to the terminal right around 25th street. Is this how you cross the street to get to the terminal and is it connected to a parking garage that anyone can use? We are using Galveston Park N Cruise and it looks like it would be an easy walk using this elevated walkway.

See this "oldie but goody" thread from July 2010 titled Galveston: parking garage across from cruise terminal at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1230669.

From what I understand, all downtown multi-level parking garages are short term parking only. That particular garage & it's elevated walkway are not for cruisers, unless another local knows of any changes since 2010.

Kat 50.gif

We parked at Park N Cruise in May and it is great. You just walk across the street. There is a red light so it is very easy. I have health problems and I am not able to walk very far but I had no problem walking this short distance. We parked indoors. It is great being able to get off the ship and go right to your car and just leave. We are planning to use them again in April for our next cruise.

See this "oldie but goody" thread from July 2010 titled Galveston: parking garage across from cruise terminal at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1230669.

From what I understand' date=' all downtown multi-level parking garages are short term parking only. That particular garage & it's elevated walkway are not for cruisers, unless another local knows of any changes since 2010.

Kat [img']http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/50.gif[/img]

Thanks so much for the clarification. Very helpful!

We parked at Park N Cruise in May and it is great. You just walk across the street. There is a red light so it is very easy. I have health problems and I am not able to walk very far but I had no problem walking this short distance. We parked indoors. It is great being able to get off the ship and go right to your car and just leave. We are planning to use them again in April for our next cruise.

Thanks Carol, that is very helpful. We are cruising on the Magic in March 2013 and are doing the inside parking as well. We have two vehicles and 11 people which we plan on dropping them and luggage first at the terminal and driving to Park N Cruise to park and walk back over to terminal. Have a wonderful cruise in April.

Thanks Carol, that is very helpful. We are cruising on the Magic in March 2013 and are doing the inside parking as well. We have two vehicles and 11 people which we plan on dropping them and luggage first at the terminal and driving to Park N Cruise to park and walk back over to terminal. Have a wonderful cruise in April.

I'm glad it was helpful. I hope you have a great cruise too. The Magic is a great ship.

Please note, most of the article is about bids for building a Galveston Downtown Transportation Terminal, not a cruise terminal.

However, in the last two paragraphs it does mention the Texas Cruise Ship Terminal walkway and the connecting 300-space Shearn Moody Garage.

Port to seek new bids for terminal

Published August 3, 2012

http://galvestondailynews.com/story/331974

Kat 50.gif

We used the Galveston Park and Cruise on July 30th and they were wonderful. The walk is easy - and that's from someone that was making it on medication for a pinched sciatic nerve!

I know. Aren't they great? It is so convenient. You don't have to wait on anyone to pick you up or anything. We really loved the convenience of it. I have health issues and can't walk very far but it is such a short distance across the street, it was no problem for me either. I'm glad you liked them too. I hope you enjoyed your cruise.

I know. Aren't they great? It is so convenient. You don't have to wait on anyone to pick you up or anything. We really loved the convenience of it. I have health issues and can't walk very far but it is such a short distance across the street, it was no problem for me either. I'm glad you liked them too. I hope you enjoyed your cruise.

You have to usually walk further in an airport!

This is great info. We are cruising on Magic 9/16 and I had planned on leaving my car at the hotel. I'm a little worried about a storm coming in while were out and would love to park at a higher elevation.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

This is great info. We are cruising on Magic 9/16 and I had planned on leaving my car at the hotel. I'm a little worried about a storm coming in while were out and would love to park at a higher elevation.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Park and cruise lot I believe is nor elevated.

There are lots near port that are. Check around.

Lots like at Galvez and for vehicles transfered fron harbor house and tremont are in a garage three story.

The Seawall area is highest area above sea level.

The whole island was raised after 1900 Storm.

Properties near Seawall are prox 17 to 28 ft above .

Where port is near sea level. Island drops prox 1 ft for every 1200 ft from Seawall to port.

Lots like at Galvez and for vehicles transfered fron harbor house and tremont are in a garage three story.

Where port is near sea level. Island drops prox 1 ft for every 1200 ft from Seawall to port.

Correction 17 to 18 ft

Galveston Park & Cruise is not elevated but definitely convenient. We have parked there too. EZ Parking is elevated, but that didn't help anybody during Ike...it flooded too. Best bet is what SSB says...the parking garage next to the Galvez on Seawall Blvd.

There is also a place called BOI Valet parking. You can look it up online. It's valet parking and is indoors. I truly don't know anything about it, but it also says that they are insured against flooding. You can Google it...

I have read about it but I have not heard about anyone who has actually used them. I think they are located on the corner right by Park & Cruise. Since we have used Park & Cruise and are familiar with them we will probably use them again. We really did like them.

I have read about it but I have not heard about anyone who has actually used them. I think they are located on the corner right by Park & Cruise. Since we have used Park & Cruise and are familiar with them we will probably use them again. We really did like them.

We have used Galveston Park & Cruise also and would definitely use them again. I had seen this BOI Valet Parking a while back but I too have not heard anything about them.

SO which lot for us?

We're a family of 4 (2 little girls, 3 & 8) with a car seat & a booster, 4 suitcases + carry ons.

Some posts say that Lighthouse has the fastest shuttles.

Some posts say to drop off you bags/people with the terminal porters THEN drive to parking.

Some posts say to go directly to the lot and transfer bags to parking shuttle.

Some posts say that EZ Cruise is simply across the street -- but I DO NOT want to walk with my kids or carryon...

Some people prefer Park N Cruise.

ALL lots are the same price. So which one is best for a family with young kids? Which lot will make my life EASY [on a] Sunday morning?

[ ] EZ Cruise

[ ] Lighthouse

[ ] Park N Cruise

[ ] somewhere else ________________

thx

J

SO which lot for us?

We're a family of 4 (2 little girls, 3 & 8) with a car seat & a booster, 4 suitcases + carry ons.

Some posts say to drop off you bags/people with the terminal porters THEN drive to parking.

Some posts say that EZ Cruise is simply across the street -- but I DO NOT want to walk with my kids or carryon...

ALL lots are the same price. So which one is best for a family with young kids? Which lot will make my life EASY [on a] Sunday morning?

[ ] EZ Cruise We have used them. Did not care much for them. Have heard that they have another lot that is quite a distance away and they may make you go there. They do have a shuttle so you can go there and park your car and they will take you and all your luggage to the port.

[ ] Lighthouse We used them. We liked them fine. They have a shuttle so you park your car and they take you and all your luggage to the port.

[ ] Park N Cruise You can walk across the street if you can handle all your children and luggage or you can drive to the port and unload your children and luggage if you have an adult to leave them with and then go park your car and walk across the street and join them.

[ ] somewhere else There are a few others but these are the main ones unless you use the cruise companies sites.

thx

J

There may be some other suggestions from other people. There is also the option of staying at a hotel which has free parking and a free shuttle to take you to the port. So you really have many options to choose from. I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

SO which lot for us?

[ ] EZ Cruise

[ ] Lighthouse

[ ] Park N Cruise

[ ] somewhere else ________________

thx

J

We used Park N Cruise and we loved them!! We used the covered parking. DH dropped me and the luggage off and then parked and walked across the street. So simple!!

Is there a reason people don't use the port's parking

http://www.portofgalveston.com/index.aspx?NID=91

Pre-paid, it's $15 more than the off-site parking.

How far is walk from the lot to the terminal?

Is it simply more convenient to park off-site transfer your bags, then shuttle to the terminal? (and you save $15 for 7-days)

There was another post about the port management bitching about losing parking revenue to off-site

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1692249

http://galvestondailynews.com/story/335798

and before I make a comment, it would be best to know why locals and experienced cruisers out of Galveston prefer the off-site parking?

Is there any benefit to parking on-site, even if the costs were equal? Does port of Galveston have to improve things to make their lot a competitive product?

Thx

J

Is there a reason people don't use the port's parking

http://www.portofgalveston.com/index.aspx?NID=91

Pre-paid, it's $15 more than the off-site parking.

How far is walk from the lot to the terminal?

Is it simply more convenient to park off-site transfer your bags, then shuttle to the terminal? (and you save $15 for 7-days)

There was another post about the port management bitching about losing parking revenue to off-site

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1692249

http://galvestondailynews.com/story/335798

and before I make a comment, it would be best to know why locals and experienced cruisers out of Galveston prefer the off-site parking?

Is there any benefit to parking on-site, even if the costs were equal? Does port of Galveston have to improve things to make their lot a competitive product?

Thx

J

We park at Park n cruise $65 to park inside a garage. Its our POV and it is parked in a garage at home. I dont know of any inside parking that is run by the port.

We drop off luggage, park across the street, than walk back..... simple.

Ive never experienced so much ease when leaving. Just walk across the street and on way home before shuttle has even finished loading pax/luggage

We park at Park n cruise $65 to park inside a garage. Its our POV and it is parked in a garage at home. I dont know of any inside parking that is run by the port.

We drop off luggage, park across the street, than walk back..... simple.

Ive never experienced so much ease when leaving. Just walk across the street and on way home before shuttle has even finished loading pax/luggage

With 2 small children and accompanying luggage, walking with bags and kids is not an option for me. And I will be parking a rental car, so I don't need indoor.

Question remains -- is it worth paying $15 more for port parking? What is the benefit for parking at the port lot (vs off-site?)

With 2 small children and accompanying luggage, walking with bags and kids is not an option for me. And I will be parking a rental car, so I don't need indoor.

Question remains -- is it worth paying $15 more for port parking? What is the benefit for parking at the port lot (vs off-site?)

I dont see a benefit of paying more for port parking compared to off site.

At alot of other ports, port parking is at the cruise terminal so there is a benefit over off site.

For Galveston I dont see any. The Off site is actually closer. At least the one we use. They probably also have the same liability waiver.

Archived