Galveston Parking

crazyboys

... [ ] somewhere else There are a few others but these are the main ones unless you use the cruise companies sites....

There are no "cruise companies sites". All cruise parking is off-site since there is no parking for cruisers at either Texas Cruise Ship Terminal or Terminal #2. Now Terminal #2 does have some close on-site parking. However, it is only for The Port of Galveston employees and the outsource company with employees working as check-in agents, etc. inside the terminals. I worked in Terminal #2 for 3 seasons as a Pier Agent for the outsource company Royal Caribbean uses.

... it would be best to know why locals and experienced cruisers out of Galveston prefer the off-site parking?...

For this local, I would rather help the smaller "Mom & Pop-type" lots just as I do with other locally run restaurants, cafés, businesses, etc. I like for my money to stay on the island or the mainland (La Marque & Texas City) and in the pockets of the smaller businesses that really need it.

... What is the benefit for parking at the port lot (vs off-site?)

The only thing I can think of is that if you are a travel agent, disabled vet or Purple Heart recipient, with proper ID and valid documentation the parking is free at the Official Port of Galveston Parking Lots.

Kat 50.gif

• 4 weeks later...
There are no "cruise companies sites". All cruise parking is off-site since there is no parking for cruisers at either Texas Cruise Ship Terminal or Terminal #2. Now Terminal #2 does have some close on-site parking. However' date=' it is only for The Port of Galveston employees and the outsource company with employees working as check-in agents, etc. inside the terminals. I worked in Terminal #2 for 3 seasons as a Pier Agent for the outsource company Royal Caribbean uses.

Kat [img']http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/50.gif[/img]

Thank you, Kat, for your correction. I thought the lots were run by the Port of Galveston. I guess I learned something. That is interesting.

followup:

we used Lighthouse.

effortless.

we pre-paid.

parked.

bus came right to our car - no waiting.

as soon as luggage was loaded, we were dropped off at the terminal.

on the return, we waited about 15 seconds for the Lighthouse bus to unload incoming passengers. Boarded the bus and we were dropped off at our car.

The lighthouse crew received tips for lugging our luggage on/off the bus (I was told they pool the tips, so no need to tip everyone individually - there were 3 guys assisting us).

Great service. Met all expectations.

Thank you, Kat, for your correction. I thought the lots were run by the Port of Galveston. I guess I learned something. That is interesting.

Yes, there are private lots other than the Official Port of Galveston Parking Lots.

The Official Port of Galveston Parking Lots run by the Port of Galveston have 2,750 cruise parking spaces per http://galvestondailynews.com/story/343926.

Private lots as well as hotels have to pay fees to the Port of Galveston each time a private lot van or bus drops off passengers at the cruise ship terminals per http://galvestondailynews.com/story/335798: "... The port charges hotel shuttle buses $10 a trip. For private lots, the port assesses a shuttle access fee of $8 a month per parking space. For a parking lot with 200 spaces, that’s $1,600 a month. Large coach buses are assessed a $50 fee for picking up passengers. The fees allow the port to recoup some of the costs for security and officers to direct traffic on cruise days..."

... Great service. Met all expectations.

So glad it all went smooth for you!

Kat 50.gif

We are cruising out of Galveston with my MIL, who is 89 and partially handicapped. My husband wants to drop me off with her, and then find a parking lot to park the rental car for a few hours while we get checked in and settled in our cabins. Then, he will return the rental car and take their shuttle back to the pier.

Any suggestions?

Any idea of the cost for a few hours, and where would it be located approximately.

Thanks for any help.

... My husband wants to drop me off with her, and then find a parking lot to park the rental car for a few hours while we get checked in and settled in our cabins. Then, he will return the rental car and take their shuttle back to the pier...

What day of the week are you sailing? If the rental car you are using is with Enterprise, they close at noon on Saturday and closed all day on Sunday. And I don't think they have a shuttle. You call a taxi if I remember correctly.

For info on short term parking, see the thread titled Galveston visitor parking at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1692956.

Kat 50.gif

What day of the week are you sailing? If the rental car you are using is with Enterprise' date=' they close at noon on Saturday and closed all day on Sunday. And I don't think they have a shuttle. You call a taxi if I remember correctly.

For info on short term parking, see the thread titled [b']Galveston visitor parking[/b] at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1692956.

Kat 50.gif

The rental car is with Budget, they are open on Sundays, and they have a (very expensive) shuttle to the cruise port. He can also call a taxi. The cost for all of this is the same as Enterprise, but without the open hours on Sunday.

I'll check out the other thread, and thank you for the info!!

The rental car is with Budget, they are open on Sundays, and they have a (very expensive) shuttle to the cruise port. He can also call a taxi. The cost for all of this is the same as Enterprise, but without the open hours on Sunday.

Good to hear! I was just worried he would get there on a Saturday afternoon or Sunday to find Enterprise closed.

Glad to be of service,

Kat 50.gif

We are cruising out of Galveston with my MIL, who is 89 and partially handicapped. My husband wants to drop me off with her, and then find a parking lot to park the rental car for a few hours while we get checked in and settled in our cabins. Then, he will return the rental car and take their shuttle back to the pier.

Any suggestions?

Any idea of the cost for a few hours, and where would it be located approximately.

Thanks for any help.

If your mom has a HC plakcard you should be able to park next to the ship

Allow enough time to return to the ship as Budget is not on the island. You could be looking at 1-1/2 -2 hour round trip.

We do, from CA. Will they honor it?

A HC plakcards from CA do work in Tx but ive been searching and I cant find the info that it will work for the parking lot next to the ship.

We are staying at Harbour House next weekend so I will walk to the parking lot next door and check first hand.

A HC plakcards from CA do work in Tx but ive been searching and I cant find the info that it will work for the parking lot next to the ship.

We are staying at Harbour House next weekend so I will walk to the parking lot next door and check first hand.

That is so very, very kind of you! Thank you!

It is approximately 30 minutes each way, not allowing for the wait for a taxi. Just advising you of the driving time.

OK, thanks. I'll let my husband know. I was figuring around 1 hour, but I'll tell him to allow more.

Budget has a shuttle to the pier, but it costs $50 per person. Outrageous, huh? But, I understand the local businesses have to make a living, too. What is interesting is the total comes up to what Enterprise would charge for a one way rental, but Budget charges a lot less for the car, and then gets the rest with the shuttle charge.

Do you think the taxi would be cheaper?

Coming back into Galveston after the cruise, he's thinking he will grab whichever he sees first at the pier: taxi or the Budget shuttle.

... Do you think the taxi would be cheaper? ...

I called the following in Texas City for Sears at Mainland Mall to Cruise Terminal:

A -1 Taxi 409-945-4408

$45.00 one-way, "money up-front"

Mainland Busy B Taxi 409-948-9999

$40.00 one-way

I called the following in Galveston for Cruise Terminal to Sears at Mainland Mall:

Yellow Cab 409-763-3333

$40.00 one-way, "will be lined up out front of the Cruise Terminal"

Kat 50.gif

... Do you think the taxi would be cheaper?...

I called the following in Texas City for Sears at Mainland Mall to Cruise Terminal:

A -1 Taxi 409-945-440

$45.00 one-way' date=' "money up-front"

Mainland Busy B Taxi 409-948-9999

$40.00 one-way

I called the following in Galveston for Cruise Terminal to Sears at Mainland Mall:

Yellow Cab 409-763-3333

$40.00 one-way, will be lined up out front of the Cruise Terminal

Kat [img']http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/50.gif[/img]

Thank you, again! I wrote the numbers on the reservation printout for my husband.

I think a round trip to a car rental return is a terrible idea. DO NOT break up your party. Things can and do go wrong.

I would find another way.

We have done this many, many times in other ports and allow plenty of time for the trip. I will stay with my MIL on the ship. Also, I don't think an 18 mile trip is that much of a problem. Thanks for your concern, though.

We have done this many, many times in other ports and allow plenty of time for the trip. I will stay with my MIL on the ship. Also, I don't think an 18 mile trip is that much of a problem. Thanks for your concern, though.

I realize an 18 mile trip does not sound like it would be an issue. However, Galveston is an island and there is only one main highway going into it. If there happens to be an accident on the road, you may be waiting for hours to move. It is risky. The last time we went to Galveston there was an accident which appeared to be minor but they shutdown all the lanes except the shoulder and we were there for a while. Traffic does get backed up. I just wish you good luck and that everything goes smoothly for you. Have a great cruise!!!

I realize an 18 mile trip does not sound like it would be an issue. However, Galveston is an island and there is only one main highway going into it. If there happens to be an accident on the road, you may be waiting for hours to move. It is risky. The last time we went to Galveston there was an accident which appeared to be minor but they shutdown all the lanes except the shoulder and we were there for a while. Traffic does get backed up. I just wish you good luck and that everything goes smoothly for you. Have a great cruise!!!

Thank you.

We discussed this, as I could see what you are describing on google maps. We decided he would come in to check in with us (that's why I asked above about nearby parking; still hoping the handicap spaces are available to us with our CA handicap placard). This should be around 11:00 - 11:30. Then, he will take off to return the car to Budget. That gives him 4 hours to get back to the ship.

Worst case scenario is I'm stuck with his mother for 7 days, or he gets to fly to Cozumel!!

Quite frankly, the RCCL shuttle buses coming from Hobby or IAH airports will have the same issues if there is a traffic hold-up, so hubby will be late along with them, too!

Thank you.

We discussed this, as I could see what you are describing on google maps. We decided he would come in to check in with us (that's why I asked above about nearby parking; still hoping the handicap spaces are available to us with our CA handicap placard). This should be around 11:00 - 11:30. Then, he will take off to return the car to Budget. That gives him 4 hours to get back to the ship.

Worst case scenario is I'm stuck with his mother for 7 days, or he gets to fly to Cozumel!!

Quite frankly, the RCCL shuttle buses coming from Hobby or IAH airports will have the same issues if there is a traffic hold-up, so hubby will be late along with them, too!

The difference is the ships will wait on their shuttles but they won't wait on your husband. I guess I may be too cautious sometimes but I like to make sure we make it to the ship in plenty of time. We always come in a day early and spend the night in Galveston. We don't want to risk anything happening to prevent us getting on that ship. We also buy insurance so if something does happen, we are covered. I hope everything goes well for you and works out great!

The difference is the ships will wait on their shuttles but they won't wait on your husband. I guess I may be too cautious sometimes but I like to make sure we make it to the ship in plenty of time. We always come in a day early and spend the night in Galveston. We don't want to risk anything happening to prevent us getting on that ship. We also buy insurance so if something does happen, we are covered. I hope everything goes well for you and works out great!

Thank you, Carol.

We are flying in a day early, but we are staying overnight in Houston, and driving to the port Sunday morning. This is a late booking and we had to stretch the budget to take my husband's mother on this cruise. I found the hotel's in Houston to be a lot cheaper than Galveston. So, we will drive in the morning, get checked in early (handicapped or D+ line, whichever is shortest), and off hubby will go.

Archived