how many cruises have you gone on where everything was great

Hawaiidan

I've been on five cruises, all with HAL. Three were outstanding, one was good, one was perfect! The good was the Med cruise, where the ship, or at least our cabin had continuing plumbing issues. We didn't enjoy the excursions as much as we had hoped and we both got sick. The perfect was the British isles. The Westerdam was perfection in all regards, the ports were wonderful, the experiences amazing.

Only 1 perfect cruise, on the Crystal Harmony in 2004. Most of the others have been ruined by nasty little packets with disembarkation luggage tags and other stuff. The 1 perfect cruise was the first segment of a B2B where I got to laugh at all the bags set out in the hallway the last night.

Out of about 35 cruises only 2 where the experience left me not wanting to return to the cruise line.

Roy

We have sailed many times starting with 'good Old Norway : ( usually once a year) We are now at an age that getting out of Maine for 7- 10 days in Dec "Yipee! Only one bad cruise: ( not Hal) Norwalk was running rampid and they tried to cover it up: Hubby was quarintined for 48 hours: We have never been back on that line: Sailing on Westerdam ( 2nd time) in Dec. Wish we could have done a back2 back: daughter and grandaughter are going as 1st time cruisers; her collage break won't allow for the extra time:(Can't wait to show them just how much fun cruising really can be:)

I have been on 3 cruises - Alaska and Med on Royal Caribbean and Baltic on HAL. All 3 cruises were GREAT. I don't need perfection. Just traveling and seeing the world is wonderful - beats a day at the office any time :)

Some one suggested this thread because of the continued threads of " what wrong with Holland America" and how shameful, sad, awful, pityiful,rude the last cruise was and how its the company accountants, the staff, economy, republicans, democtats, men from mars and global warming that are to blame.

I guess I must be rather naive but in my 30 years of world travel I have never had a bad cruise, meal or any real problem other than I closed the door on my thumb in the bathroom some years ago. I did have some incidents but, thats because I did some dumb things.

So has anyone else ever gone through their cruises and actulay ever enjoyed themselves and left the ship happy and wanting to return?:D

Or is it just me.

yes, 35 times

For me it's all about my own attitude. I can be happy pretty much anywhere as long as my bed is clean and I can get edible food. I know people that would be miserable no matter what. I prefer to keep a sunny disposition and make the most out of everything.

I believe this is the key---ATTITUDE!! Dh and I are pretty easy going people, not much bothers us. We've been fortunate enough to be on a number of cruises and honestly can't say we've ever had a "bad" experience. We've always been happy with the food, entertainment, excursions, service, etc. We laugh at our first cruise, because some things were less than "perfect", but at the time we were just thrilled to be there (and it makes for good stories)!! :)

If I'm having any problems on vacation, I just remind myself, "The worst day on vacation is still better than the best day at work!!"

PARTIAL QUOTE

...I guess I must be rather naive but in my 30 years of world travel I have never had a bad cruise, meal or any real problem other than I closed the door on my thumb in the bathroom some years ago. I did have some incidents but, thats because I did some dumb things.

So has anyone else ever gone through their cruises and actulay ever enjoyed themselves and left the ship happy and wanting to return?:D

Or is it just me.

Taking your question seriously...

I believe that most of us are Cruise Critic members because we enjoy cruises. As for my personal experience: I've experienced a few absolutely amazing voyages. Other voyages were good, or good enough.

But while we cheer each other on, I think we should remember those who where not so lucky and are not here to post because they were victims of cruise disasters or victims of crimes at sea.

Hi

We have been on many cruises and keep coming back for more. Have we had a bad one, yes (shortened at the last minute and a change of ports from 3 to 2 and all different from what was advertised). did it put us off... NO, we still had fun and made the best of what we got. That is why we still cruise and start all cruises with the attitude that nothing is going to ruin our holiday.:)

Things happen in life weather we are home or on holiday all of the time, some good some bad, concentrate on what goes right and it is amazing how happy you go through life.:)

It amazes me some of the reviews people put on this board. I would guarantee that for everything that has gone wrong that people complain about there are another 2 or 3 things that go right but go unmentioned and forgotten because people are to busy looking for things to fault.

Be happy and enjoy life!!

:):):)

We have only sailed on Cunard, Princess, NCL, RCI and HAL.

We have well over 110 cruises -- I no longer count them.

Yes -- we have had some great cruises where we came off the ship feeling happy. And yes we have had some cruises that were not so great. Not everything in life is perfect.

We have been on fifteen cruises and none were perfect (though a few were close) but we have never really had one that was bad either. Some were better then others. I think it takes a certain mentality to enjoy cruises, you have to roll with the punches and not make mountains out of mole hills.

[quote name='Hawaiidan']So has anyone else ever gone through their cruises and actulay ever enjoyed themselves and left the ship happy and wanting to return?:D.[/quote]

Yes, it has happened to us 21 times already and we know that #22 will happen in September when we cruise in Hawaii!:D

we have only been on 1 cruise, last March was our first ever.
Wow! I am totally in love with Maasdam, with HAL, with cruising, with everything.

We had no expectations whatsoever and we experienced everything with wide-eyed wonder.

The weather was great, the itinerary was great (except the traffic on St Thomas, wat a horrendous mess that turned out to be since the last time I have been there), the food was great, the beds were totally great! The ship was great...we spent as much time as possible outside on deck. Love the ocean, love the outside.

As bonus we had a totally wonderfull roll-call group with many repeaters who gave us great tips and tricks. And some wonderfull stories as well.

Best of all was our Oasis day on HMC. That was the greatest way to finish an already wonderful cruise.

Somebody said they mistrust glowing reviews but we only had good things to report.....but that's the way we are. Don't sweat the small stuff, right?

(oh wait a minute, there was one small minus: my husband says the coffee was terrible. His actual words one day was: Niet te zuipen. I don't drink coffee so **shrug**...tea was fine! ).

Each cruise has been better than the one before it and all 3 HAL cruises were amazing. Like someone else mentioned, it's great being on a b2b and seeing the luggage out in the hall beside other doors and not your door. I have finally gotten to the point where I no longer get ill on a cruise, so that helps.

I'm really looking forward to getting back on the Noordam in November.

[quote name='Hawaiidan']Some one suggested this thread because of the continued threads of " what wrong with Holland America" and how shameful, sad, awful, pityiful,rude the last cruise was and how its the company accountants, the staff, economy, republicans, democtats, men from mars and global warming that are to blame.

I guess I must be rather naive but in my 30 years of world travel I have never had a bad cruise, meal or any real problem other than I closed the door on my thumb in the bathroom some years ago. I did have some incidents but, thats because I did some dumb things.

Or is it just me.[/quote]

So glad you started this one! I have NEVER come off a cruise - or for that matter, any type vacation - disappointed. I don't have to cook, clean, do dishes, make my bed, decide menus, etc. What's not to like?!?!?!

We have been on the Zuiderdam, Veendam (twice), Statendam, Ryndam, and Noordam. All the cruises were great, the staff wonderful, and relaxation of being on the sea more than made up for any temporary discomforts. It sure beats schlepping around Tampa from Publix to house to Public to house . . . . and back to the computer to finally get down to work! (Procrastination is my middle name.)

[QUOTE=Hawaiidan;

ALL of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOVED them ALL [ 700 days on HAL plus others; ] Never met a cruise I didn't like!

Every cruise I have been on has been great in that the cruise was so good I look
forward to the next cruise. I consider myself lucky and fortunate and blessed that I am even able to cruise. Some are not. . That being said have those cruises been perfect? The answer would be no. Sure there is something that could have been better if the world ran on what I wanted but it does not. In my littleness one day I might find something that is not as I would prefer but on another day that same thing might not bother me at all. Sometime the biggest thing wrong is my attitude. May the Lord above and the people I have been short with forgive me.

[quote name='patrick65']Every cruise I have been on has been great in that the cruise was so good I look
forward to the next cruise. I consider myself lucky and fortunate and blessed that I am even able to cruise. Some are not. . That being said have those cruises been perfect? The answer would be no. Sure there is something that could have been better if the world ran on what I wanted but it does not. In my littleness one day I might find something that is not as I would prefer but on another day that same thing might not bother me at all. Sometime the biggest thing wrong is my attitude. May the Lord above and the people I have been short with forgive me.[/QUOTE]

nice...ditto.

All of our HA cruise's have been wonderful. However, my least favorite was on the Eurodam, a 7 night that I went solo. I do not like 7 night cruise's! 1 RC cruise that I had forgot about but just added to my signature was the WORST. I came home very sick and it took me a month to get well.

In all though, we've been blessed to cruise as often as we have and the wonderful times far out way the not so good one's.

Archived