CD schedule released

xplor97

Ahh, James Charlton is still aboard the Magic. What a waste of a fine ship to have the absolute worst cruise director of all time on it. The British have a fine word for this chap - TWIT.

Doc

James was CD on my Glory cruise several years ago. I agree he isn't as personable as some of the other CDs I've run across, but at the Q &A with him, very few people showed up (about 8 of us ) and he sat down and told us stuff about working on a cruise ship that I found very interesting. He told us a lot about his personal life and it was the most informative Q & A I've ever attended. It was suppose to be 30 mins.long and we all stayed well past that. He also was the only CD I've had who held a door decorating contest. That was a lot fun. He was actually a nice guy, but if you're looking for a funny, outgoing CD he's not the one.

I had Kirk Benning as CD on my 3 previous Pride cruises and he was great. I was disappointed when he left and Brent was the Pride CD because I never read anything good about him here on CC. Now I see Kirk will be back on the Pride in the fall and I'm looking forward to him being CD on my Sept. cruise. Very friendly guy.

I am a little confused.

We are on the Breeze December 8th.

Under the Breeze in December it says "John Heald/Butch".

So do we get John or Butch?

I am dying to know this also! (sailing on 12/22) My feeling is they will overlap for a week- so you'll get JH, then he will go on vacation just in time for MY sailing and we will have Butch! (who I think is fantastic!) This has happened to me on the Liberty, Freedom and Dream! JH takes the new ship over here from Europe, stays on a few weeks, then leaves right before Christmas - which is when we cruise the "new" ships each time!:p:D

I'm wondering as well (we're on the New Year's sailing, 12/30). I've also seen this show before on the new ships... Heald uses his seniority to go home for the holidays and we get end up with a fill in CD. Can't say I blame him... I'd probably do the same thing. Unfortunately I vividly recall getting stuck with "Goose" Neuman on the Splendor and he was awful -- shrill and annoying. That was several years ago though, so perhaps he's improved since then.

I've never sailed with Butch though, so perhaps he's good.

It looks like we will have 2 CD's on our Liberty cruise. It says Karl Bird is off 10/20 and Chris Roberts is on 10/13. Does this mean Chris has never been on the ship or just a new CD?

If Chris Roberts is who I think he is, he has been around for awhile. We had him on our 2005 cruise. He was not memorable, but not horrible either.

Anyone that is sailing on the Legend will have an awesome cruise director in James Dunn! We sailed with James twice as assistant cruise director on the Dream and have tried the last 3 cruises to sail with him again as CD (only his schedule got changed around after we booked it).

I see people disliking some CDs because of announcements... can you hear this in your rooms?

Thank you.

YES! Whoever it was on my first on my first cruise woke me up at some absurdly early hour (ok, it may have been like 10am) on our first sea day with a voice from the hallway that could woken the dead. And considering how hard I slept on that cruise, that's pretty close to accurate. Then again, we had an inside and didn't know to bring a battery operated alarm clock, so I'm not sure I would have ever woken up. :o On port days it really was pretty early, though, like as soon as we able to tender/hit the gangway.

I see people disliking some CDs because of announcements... can you hear this in your rooms?

Thank you.

They won't pipe the announcement in to your room (only the announcements pertaining to the safety drill on the first day will be) but you can often hear them blasting in the hall as the previous poster stated.

So the Dream have Steve...what is he like?

Most of the CD I never see only at beginning of the show which most of Carnivals shows we want to miss anyways...

I find the CD most of them are not funny they think they are try to be but its always the same old thing...and to us not funny actually sometimes they pathetic to us.

Maybe what I need is a CD that really is just himself and not tries to be funny when they not.

Its not that its Julie from the LoveBoat you rarely see the CD so who cares, but curious why those who did mention Steve said he "sucks".

We have Josh. Is he the one they call Big Sexy? How is he? :)

I've sailed with Josh (Big Sexy) several times, and have always enjoyed him. I think you'll have a GREAT time.

Those wondering about the overlap of John and Butch on "Breeze" will find that they are both aboard, starting with the Trans Atlantic Cruise, November 6th. I think John turns the ship over to Butch when it arrives in Miami. Butch is a very good C.D. in my opinion. I can't wait to sail with him again, as we've had such a great time on previous cruises.

"SKY"

Saw one post which mentioned Karl Bird (Karl with a K) and it was positive. Any one else have an opinion?

As for CD's, I guess you don't really need them but on the other hand, they can really enhance a cruise (John Heald or Steve Castle). If you have sailed with these two, you will remember them and the cruise they were on. A bad CD is when you don't remember who the CD was for a past cruise.

Can anyone tell me about Craig Johnson?

Craig was the substitute CD on the Conquest in June. He was like a substitute teacher in a classroom - he kept things going, but did not do anything memorable. He was OK.

Anyone that is sailing on the Legend will have an awesome cruise director in James Dunn! We sailed with James twice as assistant cruise director on the Dream and have tried the last 3 cruises to sail with him again as CD (only his schedule got changed around after we booked it).

Just off the Legend July 29th cruise.

I've cruised on Carnival many many 2 times each year for the past 3 years, total of 14 cruises on Carnival and 23 overall.

We had James Dunn.

hardly saw him and found him annoying.

He should have been on the stage more.

Sorry, didn't get it done for us.

On the other hand, "Peter" the comedy club manager and assistant will pick up all the slack, he was great!

I've learned a long time, don't worry about the cruise director, someone on the ship will stand out and its what you make it.

We had a blast and would go back on regardless of the cruise director.

Sort of funny, I did the survey for Carnival today and couldn't even remember the CD's name (until i saw this post), but I did make a comment for PETER, "What's my name" - his slogan.

It looks like we will have 2 CD's on our Liberty cruise. It says Karl Bird is off 10/20 and Chris Roberts is on 10/13. Does this mean Chris has never been on the ship or just a new CD?
Chri is not new, he was with Carnival back in the early 2000's on Sensation, he left Carnival and retunred about a year ago. Chris is fanatastic, and Karl with a K is also awesome, either way you will have one of Carnivals best CD. I will be getting off the Liberty the day you board, I will be sure to leave it in good condition for you! Have a great cruise

Saw one post which mentioned Karl Bird (Karl with a K) and it was positive. Any one else have an opinion?

As for CD's, I guess you don't really need them but on the other hand, they can really enhance a cruise (John Heald or Steve Castle). If you have sailed with these two, you will remember them and the cruise they were on. A bad CD is when you don't remember who the CD was for a past cruise.

Karl with a K is an awesome CD, funny, geniune and easy to talk to. Karl was my CD on Liberty back in Oct 2007, he really made a great cruise a true memorable expirience.

Archived