new chairhog program on carnival breeze

CtheW0rld

Chairhogs annoy me, so I'm glad to see some line doing something about it.

On our Princess cruise, I went out to the area by the adults' pool around 8:30, right after breakfast one morning, in hopes of snagging a lounger. I took the ONLY lounger left without "stuff" on it. I sat out there for a few hours, and several of the loungers NEVER had a human occupant. But I'm sure the paperback books enjoyed the fresh air and sunshine.

I can picture it now. Every lounge chair is fixed with a timing device. When someone sits down, the device is set. When they get up again, the device starts timing down a pre-set amount of time, say 15, 20, 30 minutes---whatever the cruiseline has decided is sufficient time for someone to come back.

If someone sits back down, the timer resets to zero, and goes into hibernaiton mode until they get up again. If no one sits down in the pre-set time, a buzzer goes off alerting the stewards to clean off the lounger as it is now free for anyone who wants it.

Think that will work???

I can picture it now. Every lounge chair is fixed with a timing device. When someone sits down, the device is set. When they get up again, the device starts timing down a pre-set amount of time, say 15, 20, 30 minutes---whatever the cruiseline has decided is sufficient time for someone to come back.

If someone sits back down, the timer resets to zero, and goes into hibernaiton mode until they get up again. If no one sits down in the pre-set time, a buzzer goes off alerting the stewards to clean off the lounger as it is now free for anyone who wants it.

Think that will work???

Sounds good to me - think 30 minutes is fair.

I'm curious: does anyone know if Breeze has a significantly worse loungers:passenger ratio than other ships? Because, the cynical side of me says cruise lines only risk alienating pax when the alternative is alienating WAY MORE pax (who'd be circling and searching for a seat forever).

That original link had another link through to this page about NCL:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/blog/index.php/2012/07/31/take-that-deck-chair-hogs-2/?isalt=0

Remember those obnoxious towels, printed with the word "Reserved"?

I'm now envisioning a blow up doll (like rush hour "2 people or more in this lane") attaching to a weighted base, printed with the word "occupied" :rolleyes:

We have never had a problem getting a lounge chair every time we have gone to aft pool on any ship/any HAL cruise. Are we just lucky or are there really not all that many 'hogs' on HAL? We have never found it to be a problem and DH loves HAL's aft pools. :)

I'm curious: does anyone know if Breeze has a significantly worse loungers:passenger ratio than other ships? Because, the cynical side of me says cruise lines only risk alienating pax when the alternative is alienating WAY MORE pax (who'd be circling and searching for a seat forever).

That original link had another link through to this page about NCL:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/blog/index.php/2012/07/31/take-that-deck-chair-hogs-2/?isalt=0

Remember those obnoxious towels, printed with the word "Reserved"?

I'm now envisioning a blow up doll (like rush hour "2 people or more in this lane") attaching to a weighted base, printed with the word "occupied" :rolleyes:

Thanks for posting the link. I like the comment that the best way to get a deck chair is to follow the "sticker guy" and when he picks up overtime towels, etc, snag the newly vacant chair. I can see him walking along the deck, like the pied piper.

Think that will work???

Sounds strangely like our city's new parking meters.

Sounds like carnivaL just made it okay to "hold" a chair for 40 minutes. No more than 20 sounds reasonable if one is truely using it. ( bathroom break or food run).

Looks like they have to take someone from doing another job to keep track of all the offenders. I can only wonder if they hire some additional help or just let something else slide. :D

If they're going to put "parking meters" on the deck chairs, they could give out tickets to the "offenders." the money that is collected could pay for the meter attendants. :D

We have never had a problem getting a lounge chair every time we have gone to aft pool on any ship/any HAL cruise. Are we just lucky or are there really not all that many 'hogs' on HAL? We have never found it to be a problem and DH loves HAL's aft pools. :)

We don't sit out by the pools..Instead we spend our days out on the Promenade Deck..We usually are able to find two loungers, but occasionally we see chair hogs out on Promenade deck too..

What I object to are the people who come into the show room early & save a whole row of seats for their Friends..Saving one seat for ones spouse/cabin mate is one thing, but saving a whole row for Friends IMO is inconsiderate.. We actually witnessed one man asking 2 lovely ladies who were in cabins next to ours, to move from their seats so that their Friends could sit there..:(They did move but if it was me, I would not have moved, as I consider that to be Chutzpah (sp?)..:(

Cheers....:)Betty

I hope HAL implements the same program soon.

I've seen chairs sit all day with personal items on them. The people are nowhere to be found.

I question whether HAL would even consider either hiring lounge police or adding to the chores of the deck crew. The loungers, after all, are not rented and this would not generate revenue.

If HAL is cutting back on the wine stewards in the MDR, and wine sales are revenue-producing, I doubt Seattle would implement a lounge police program. Rather, HAL likely believes (whether it is true or not) that their passengers have the good manners to not hog chairs.

I have often thought that it would be a good idea to put a large section of cubbies right by the pool so that people could put their items in there while they swim, while at the same time putting the lounge chairs a bit further away from the pool, so that those who truly want to lounge can lounge, and people who just need a place to put their sunscreen, shoes, books, etc. can put it in an appropriate place while they swim. Not sure if this would help the situation or not...

Archived