Cabinmate is a NO-Show...What is the BEST Way to Handle This?

Angiet2

Best wishes for your father.

I had a cruise booked with a friend and she couldn't go because her mother became ill. I went and she was a no show. I never had to pay any additional charges. I only paid gratuities for one person as they are billed separately per person. After the cruise was over, she sent a claim to her non-Princess insurance company and they paid her claim. I don't recall about whether the pre-existing condition situation applied or not, though. As someone else mentioned, I might see if I could still downgrade to a lower priced category and save some money that way. Good luck.

Ouch. So sorry to hear this. As long as your Mom doesn't expect a refund, I'd just check in and board. It's unlikely they'll ask you at check in but if the Passenger Services Desk calls, say your Mom wasn't able to make it at the last minute. I wouldn't say or do anything until boarded and only then, if asked.

OP, I wish your dad well. What Pam posted above is exactly what I did for two cruises I had booked with my irresponsible niece, Mindy. If your mom is ok with losing her money, don't say anything to Princess or your TA. Check in for your cruise. Again, I did this twice and wasn't asked at check in about Mindy. The pursers desk did call me both times in my cabin before sailing to ask if Mindy was going to be checking in and I told them that she had to cancel at the last moment. No problems at all. They said thank you and on I went with my cruise. No additional payments - nothing.

I certainly hope everything works out well for you on your cruise. I sincerely hope your dad and mom will be good.

Sending good thoughts your way for your dad's recovery.

Something to think about for the future. There are policies that do not include pre-existing condition restrictions. Your TA should know about these. As my parents are now in their 80s (and quickly approaching 90), I've started insuring any vacation over $1,000 in value with a policy that has no pre-existing conditions clause. So far, I've had to make claims on two separate trips. This doesn't help your current situation but could help you on future cruises and vacations.

We have a similar situation. We had an original group of 16 and 1 person has to bow out. We leave next Sat. for our Alaska cruise. He was sharing an inside room with his sister who will now be alone. Princess now wants to charge us for a single in a room. We've already paid entirely for the cruise and we have complete trip insurance. But we would still have to pay double for the single in the room! That's not right if we've already paid in full. I'm not sure what we're going to do. Just have a no-show probably. They won't still charge us for a single will they?

The best thing to do is find someone to take your mom's reservation. You don't want to cruise alone. You can do it at the last minute. I was at a wedding several years ago where the bride left the groom at the altar. Her dad had booked them a honeymoon cruise as a wedding gift, but since they didn't get married, he changed the booking to himself and his girlfriend with only 24 hours notice.

The best thing to do is find someone to take your mom's reservation. You don't want to cruise alone. You can do it at the last minute. I was at a wedding several years ago where the bride left the groom at the altar. Her dad had booked them a honeymoon cruise as a wedding gift, but since they didn't get married, he changed the booking to himself and his girlfriend with only 24 hours notice.

I'm hoping HIMSELF here refers to the father and not the groom!

I would contact Princess and tell them exactly what has happened. Possibly they can rebook you as solo in a suite or balcony for much lower price than the Grand Suite. My goodness, if you can afford that fare--even sharing--then you can take the financial hit. At any rate, hopefully your father will be okay.

I would contact Princess and tell them exactly what has happened. Possibly they can rebook you as solo in a suite or balcony for much lower price than the Grand Suite. My goodness, if you can afford that fare--even sharing--then you can take the financial hit. At any rate, hopefully your father will be okay.

Don't you think that the part I emboldened could have been left out of your otherwise good posting?

You have no idea what these people's financial situation is and quite frankly it doesn't matter.

This issue is important to the OP, and a lot of others, whether the cabin is a penthouse suite or the lowest cost inside cabin.

We have a similar situation. We had an original group of 16 and 1 person has to bow out. We leave next Sat. for our Alaska cruise. He was sharing an inside room with his sister who will now be alone. Princess now wants to charge us for a single in a room. We've already paid entirely for the cruise and we have complete trip insurance. But we would still have to pay double for the single in the room! That's not right if we've already paid in full. I'm not sure what we're going to do. Just have a no-show probably. They won't still charge us for a single will they?
This is why insurance is so important. The remaining person is now cruising as a single and this the reason why they want to charge the single rate. It's assumed passengers will recoup their fare through insurance. That's why I suggested not saying anything and just showing up. A good TA will also assist you in a situation like this.

FYI, a single never pays more than one port fee and taxes or one "auto-tip."

This is why insurance is so important. The remaining person is now cruising as a single and this the reason why they want to charge the single rate. It's assumed passengers will recoup their fare through insurance. That's why I suggested not saying anything and just showing up. A good TA will also assist you in a situation like this.

FYI, a single never pays more than one port fee and taxes or one "auto-tip."[/quote]

Very true.

I have so far only cruised solo. The benefits are so numerable. I love experiencing the best of both worlds: alone time and socializing with fellow passengers. It is real personal choice cruising for me.

Also, I always purchase travel insurance. As the saying goes, when you look back at your life you won't usually regret the things that you did, but rather the things you did not do.

Is the insurance through Princess? If so, you can cancel for any reason and get a majority of the cancellation fee toward a future cruise.

I guess this would be the exception about not getting insurance through your cruise-line.

Let me go on the record and say that when my mom and I made this booking in 3/2011 for Sept. 2012, we obviously knew that my dad's heart was NOT in the best of shape (he's up to 42 stents in his heart, now!). BUT, the surgeons/cardiologists had never, ever used the word 'transplant', until 2 weeks ago! Our TA informed us that Travel Insurance would NOT cover anything pre-existing, which, is obviously what we are dealing with, when discussing heart disease.

A million thank you's, again...to all of you. This is such a great resource!!

best wishes to your father and your family

I am just wondering if the insurance will cover your mom since even though it was an existing condition, that condition was stable when your mom booked, the condition then got worse causing your mom to cancel.

Last year we had 14 days booked on the Sapphire, My mom was diagnosed with cancer (and had been battling for two years) when we booked but was stable and had been given a year still. Although one month after we booked this cruise and 10 days prior to the cruise she took a turn for the worse and we had to cancel. The insurance company had us fill out a form and even though we did have doctor document that the condition was ongoing and she was stable he also documented that she suddendly took a turn for the worse that was not expected.

Insurance covered our trip 100%.

I hope this helps and that the insurance company will work with you. Keep after them and hopefully they will cover it.

good luck to you

vickie

Surprising that the cruiseline accommodated such a change ... I was under the impression that, altho a passenger can be swapped out after final payment, one of the original cabin occupants must remain the same.

Surprising that the cruiseline accommodated such a change ... I was under the impression that, altho a passenger can be swapped out after final payment, one of the original cabin occupants must remain the same.

They accommodate these kinds of changes all the time. They just charge a fee for doing it. But that is still cheaper than loosing all or part of cruise cost. My mom had to do this once when my dad changed his mind about a cruise after the final payment had been made. She was going to take me, then about a week before the cruise, he changed his mind again and decided to go. Her TA was really a god-send for this as there were flights & hotels. I also believe it cost Mom more to change the resos back to Dad than the original change to me.

best wishes to your father and your family

I am just wondering if the insurance will cover your mom since even though it was an existing condition, that condition was stable when your mom booked, the condition then got worse causing your mom to cancel.

Last year we had 14 days booked on the Sapphire, My mom was diagnosed with cancer (and had been battling for two years) when we booked but was stable and had been given a year still. Although one month after we booked this cruise and 10 days prior to the cruise she took a turn for the worse and we had to cancel. The insurance company had us fill out a form and even though we did have doctor document that the condition was ongoing and she was stable he also documented that she suddendly took a turn for the worse that was not expected.

Insurance covered our trip 100%.

I hope this helps and that the insurance company will work with you. Keep after them and hopefully they will cover it.

good luck to you

vickie

Perhaps the doctor's detailed description of the medical condition helped. Especially the part about "suddently...unexpected." was a determining factor in 100% approval. Just a thought.

Perhaps the doctor's detailed description of the medical condition helped. Especially the part about "suddently...unexpected." was a determining factor in 100% approval. Just a thought.

yes most definately the key is that when we (and sounds like the poster) booked the condition was stable and then the condition changed. also that the doctor stated that the date we booked she was doing fine and was expected to live for a year still. But perhaps poster can use this with their insurance too and get the money back. fingers crossed

Many good wishes for your family...I am going on a cruise Sept 8 due to a cruise my parents had planned and subsequently had to cancel. My Dad had cancer, and had it for more than five years (stable disease) when booked. He too took a turn for the worse and the cruise had to be cancelled. My parents had the top insurance...the reimbursement was denied. We appealed to no avail. We talked to a Princess TA and they did credit my MOM with the entire value of both for a future cruise. They would not let my Dad's portion go to another person other than my Mom. Sooooo...long story - I am going at my cost, but my Mom's way is covered from the credit from the cancelled cruise. I would use this time to warn folks that even though my parent's checked and re-checked about the whole pre-existing condition situation, they were denied any reimbursement. Thanks to a kind Princess employee at least Mom gets to use the amount in credit.

My heart goes out to you!! I do hope it all works out!

Many good wishes for your family...I am going on a cruise Sept 8 due to a cruise my parents had planned and subsequently had to cancel. My Dad had cancer, and had it for more than five years (stable disease) when booked. He too took a turn for the worse and the cruise had to be cancelled. My parents had the top insurance...the reimbursement was denied. We appealed to no avail. We talked to a Princess TA and they did credit my MOM with the entire value of both for a future cruise. They would not let my Dad's portion go to another person other than my Mom. Sooooo...long story - I am going at my cost, but my Mom's way is covered from the credit from the cancelled cruise. I would use this time to warn folks that even though my parent's checked and re-checked about the whole pre-existing condition situation, they were denied any reimbursement. Thanks to a kind Princess employee at least Mom gets to use the amount in credit.

My heart goes out to you!! I do hope it all works out!

Thank YOU for your nice wishes and for sharing your story with us. I am hopeful that Dad makes a nice recovery, and one day, is able to travel with us. He is 71 years old, but a young 71 (just ask him!!).... His mind is as crisp as a 25 year old's, so this is very tough on him to be dealt these cards, but he's happy that he even has this medical option to keep him alive.

I have been reviewing various travel insurance companies for ones that state that 'pre-existing' is covered. Also, our TA is telling us, that had we taken out the insurance when we first placed our initial deposit, pre-existing would be covered. I have heard conflicting information about this, so I guess it would have to be time to get out the magnifying glass and read the fine print!! :D

As of today, my mom has decided that SHE IS GOING on the cruise. To be blunt, there is approximately $7500 on the line, between the cabin and our land portion (we are doing the land on our own, for approx. 10 days). She has paid for my dad's grown daughter to fly out from Nashville to stay with him, assuming he comes home from the hospital. Mom feels terrible that she is not going to be here, but Dad insisted that she go and not waste the money or lose out on a trip of a lifetime. We are torn up over this decision, but at some point, you have to just make a decision, hope that it's the right decision and just 'jump'!

Thanks again, to all the nice CC members who have sent good wishes. There are so many wonderful people on these boards and I am grateful that we have such a nice group of people that we get to electronically meet!:)

As of today, my mom has decided that SHE IS GOING on the cruise. To be blunt, there is approximately $7500 on the line, between the cabin and our land portion (we are doing the land on our own, for approx. 10 days). She has paid for my dad's grown daughter to fly out from Nashville to stay with him, assuming he comes home from the hospital. Mom feels terrible that she is not going to be here, but Dad insisted that she go and not waste the money or lose out on a trip of a lifetime. We are torn up over this decision, but at some point, you have to just make a decision, hope that it's the right decision and just 'jump'!

Thanks again, to all the nice CC members who have sent good wishes. There are so many wonderful people on these boards and I am grateful that we have such a nice group of people that we get to electronically meet!:)

your parents sound amazing... enjoy your vacation with your mom and good luck with your dad.

vickie

your parents sound amazing... enjoy your vacation with your mom and good luck with your dad.

vickie

Vickie,

I wish you and your mom the very best, while she beats the 'C' monster! I know that our parents can make us crazy :D , but we always love them and never want to see them be anything less than perfect!!!

Vickie,

I wish you and your mom the very best, while she beats the 'C' monster! I know that our parents can make us crazy :D , but we always love them and never want to see them be anything less than perfect!!!

thank you

sadly mom passed last year in May when we had to cancel the cruise. What was odd was we had the b2b booked and it was a week prior to leaving and we didn't have a single thing out to pack, not a single excursion booked. And no real reason to anticpate having to cancel due to Mom. But when we got the call that she was in the hospital we both though someone/something knew we weren't going to be cruising. We flew the next day to be with her and we thankfully got to spend a week with mom before she passed peacefully.

Yes they can make us crazy but I wish she was still around to make me crazy.

I wrote about it in my blog - check it out - http://vickieandbernietravel.blogspot.ca/2011/06/oh-so-much-to-say-about-cruising-and.html

thanks for making my day with your lovely comment.

Vickie

Archived