Cabinmate is a NO-Show...What is the BEST Way to Handle This?

Angiet2

Hi All,

I know that this topic was discussed a few months back, but after searching for nearly an hour, I am unable to locate the thread (feel free to post the link if someone is more successful than me at locating the past thread).

My mom and I are booked in the Grand Suite, sailing on 9/1/12, Sapphire. We are now 29 days out and bad news has hit... Due to my dad needing major heart surgery (while he waits on the heart transplant list), my mom is unable to go on the cruise.

I know that there were some wonderful 'helpful hints' on the CC boards previously, that talked about what the best way to handle a cabin no-show... I.E...I do NOT want Princess to charge me DOUBLE for the no-show... Someone on the CC boards mentioned just telling Princess that the cabin mate's flight is running late...Is this the best way to go?

I'm sure you are all wondering about insurance. Sadly, the insurance will not cover pre-existing conditions, which my dad's heart condition is. We are trying hard to find a way to lessen the financial burden.

Thanks for any advice and help! We really appreciate it!:)

In all of my years of looking at this site, I don't know if there is "one good answer" on this. I have also heard various things such as not canceling or canceling to get part of the money back. If you used a TA, I would contact them and see what they say.

I wish your father the best. I hope a heart becomes available soon!

Ouch. So sorry to hear this. As long as your Mom doesn't expect a refund, I'd just check in and board. It's unlikely they'll ask you at check in but if the Passenger Services Desk calls, say your Mom wasn't able to make it at the last minute. I wouldn't say or do anything until boarded and only then, if asked.

ok. You can cruise alone - the cabin is fully paid and Princess won't do anything. You can request a change in passenger and take someone else with you. Or you can cancel and lose everything.

If you tried to use the insurance for one passenger and succeeded then princess would have billed you for the other half of the room.

The best way to lessen the financial blow is by finding a friend to go and having them repay you your mother's half (or deal with them on it) and you/your mom pocket the cash.

Sorry about your dad.

Hi All,

Thanks to everyone who has responded so quickly! We appreciate any and ALL feedback on this situation. There is a LOT of $$$ at stake, and I definitely do NOT want to get 'hit' any harder than necessary by Princess, if sadly, I have to cruise solo.

All additional good ideas/experiences/thoughts welcome!

(and thanks to all of you for the good wishes for my dad. He is a super guy!..obviously, or mom wouldn't be canceling her side of the cruise!!):D

Ouch. So sorry to hear this. As long as your Mom doesn't expect a refund, I'd just check in and board. It's unlikely they'll ask you at check in but if the Passenger Services Desk calls, say your Mom wasn't able to make it at the last minute. I wouldn't say or do anything until boarded and only then, if asked.

That is exactly the procedure I would follow if in your situation.

Unless of course you were able to sell your Mom's share to a friend.

Good luck to you all.

Mike:)

Is the insurance through Princess? If so, you can cancel for any reason and get a majority of the cancellation fee toward a future cruise.

Only if they both cancel the entire booking. If her mom receives the future cruise credit in her name, the OP will have to pay the single occupancy rate to keep the cabin for herself. Travelling solo at the double occupancy rate AND getting the any-reason-no-show FCC for you cabinmate would clearly be double dipping.

Strictly from a least cost standpoint, I think your options are as follows in order from least to most costly:

1. Find someone to go with you and who will pay your Mom's fare. Cost = 0 for your family.

2. Find someone who will go with you for a discounted rate. Cost = discount rate of your mom's fare, no cost to you. Since your mom is in the 75% penalty, this option could be heavily discounted and still come out ahead for your mom.

3. IF you have Princess insurance, invoke the cancel for any reason for both of you, take the credit to be used for a future cruise. Cost will be 0%(platinum insurance)-25%(gold insurance) of the total cabin price, plus whatever it costs for air changes. And perhaps the disappointment factor. But the credit will need to be used up by both of you in order to recoup the costs.

4.Don't cancel your mom, just have her no-show. Cost is 100% of one fare, what your mom paid. She gets no refund but you do not have to refare as a solo, either.

5. Cancel your mom, she pays cancellation fee of 75% of her fare but gets 25% back, you are refared at solo rate. Total cost is close to 175% of one fare, her 75% penalty + your additional 100% or close to it.

I hope your dad gets a heart and that you reach a satisfactory answer for your mom and yourself with this cruise.

cherylandtk, that was a really thoughtful answer for the op.

to the op: fingers crossed you find a friend to go with you who can cover all or most of the fare. and thinking of your dad and your whole family as you wait for a heart. (and the family of the donor heart too.

If you tried to use the insurance for one passenger and succeeded then princess would have billed you for the other half of the room.

We had insurance through princess, and that isn't what happened.

Princess kept the entire cruise fare for two. Mrs. Pablo filled

out the insurance claim, and eventually got a check for her

cruise fare (refunded).

My cabinmate had to cancel for medical reasons about 2 weeks before a cruise, and I did not have to pay any more to occupy my Caribe deck balcony alone. As Princess said when I called them to say I was still going on the cruise, the cruise fares were already completely paid and I did not have to pay the single supplement. My cabinmate filed for reimbursement with Princess insurance.

Lots of great advice given in earlier posts. The Grand Suite is enormous and it is likely in demand by others for this sailing.

If you go it alone, perhaps Princess would be willing to swap you out to a mini suite at a much reduced rate, for example, if they have someone in the wings for this suite. Not sure but I'd suggest talking to your TA.

We had insurance through princess, and that isn't what happened.

Princess kept the entire cruise fare for two. Mrs. Pablo filled

out the insurance claim, and eventually got a check for her

cruise fare (refunded).

My cabinmate had to cancel for medical reasons about 2 weeks before a cruise, and I did not have to pay any more to occupy my Caribe deck balcony alone. As Princess said when I called them to say I was still going on the cruise, the cruise fares were already completely paid and I did not have to pay the single supplement. My cabinmate filed for reimbursement with Princess insurance.

Thanks VERY much for posting about your experiences with Princess insurance. Ive asked this question several times and never received a clear answer. It seemed to me that, if a couple purchased the insurance and then one person had to cancel for any reason, if the remaining person was charged as a single, then the insurance really wasn't providing any value. There's a very real chance that this exact thing might happen to DH and me, and it's good to know that we would get one fare returned to us without the other person basically having to pay it back.

Thanks VERY much for posting about your experiences with Princess insurance. Ive asked this question several times and never received a clear answer. It seemed to me that, if a couple purchased the insurance and then one person had to cancel for any reason, if the remaining person was charged as a single, then the insurance really wasn't providing any value. There's a very real chance that this exact thing might happen to DH and me, and it's good to know that we would get one fare returned to us without the other person basically having to pay it back.
If the remaining passenger is charged the single fare, insurance would cover the additional cost. At least, that's my understanding and what I've read happens in the past.

If the remaining passenger is charged the single fare, insurance would cover the additional cost. At least, that's my understanding and what I've read happens in the past.

Very helpful, Pam. Thank you. When we book a slew of B2B cruises, we know there is a very real possibility that something might come up that forces one of us to leave the ship for a single cruise. We purchase Princess insurance for all of them, but I never felt entirely comfortable that we really had any coverage if one of us cancelled for any reason but the other stayed.

This is cancellation for a covered medical reason. OP has told us the reason is not covered. Pam's response was to this post, a covered medical cancellation.

See below, I am sorry to have to tell you this, but the Additional Fare coverage only applies if the cancellation is for a covered reason, NOT when you use the any reason. If one cancels For Any Reason, it is really better for all occupants to cancel.
Very helpful, Pam. Thank you. When we book a slew of B2B cruises, we know there is a very real possibility that something might come up that forces one of us to leave the ship for a single cruise. We purchase Princess insurance for all of them, but I never felt entirely comfortable that we really had any coverage if one of us cancelled for any reason but the other stayed.
Your hunch was right. The Additional Fare coverage states your travelling partner must have cancelled for a covered reason, meaning if your partner cancels and uses the For Any Reason, you are NOT covered for the increased fare.

Additional Fare coverage portion:

a)Trip Cancellation. Non refundable cancellation charges imposed by Princess Cruises and/or Princess Tours and/or cancellation charges for flights (booked by Princess) joining or departing your Sea Land arrangements or the additional costs you may incur as a result of a change in the per person occupancy rate of prepaid travel arrangements if a Travelling Companion cancels his/her Cruise/Cruisetour for a covered reason and you do not cancel.

Bolding is mine, original text is in Section 1, Part A, a) found on page 3 of this:

http://www.princess.com/learn/answer/pdf/Princess_Vacation_Protection.pdf

As I see it...

This is where the two entities of the insurance company and Princess Cruises comes into play. They are separate. Princess Cruises views this situation as a cabin fully paid. The insurance company sees a policy and claim which covers this situation. As far as I know, the insurance company does not recoup their payment of a claim by billing Princess. :D So, Princess has their money in full and the insurance company deals with an insurance claim.

A Question.

I do wonder about the gratuities. They are minor compared to the cost of the cruise, but is there a way in this situation to avoid paying gratuities for more than one person when only one person is in the cabin?

I certainly hope the surgery and heart transplant is successful and I wish the dad a full recovery.

But, I wonder why the OP didn't consider the possibility of something like this happening before final payment was made and didn't opt out of the cruise then. I may not have all the facts, but it looks like the booking was made in March 2011 for an Alaskan cruise in September 2011 to celebrate the OPs birthday and several people are going. A lot of things can change over that length of time

I certainly hope the surgery and heart transplant is successful and I wish the dad a full recovery.

But, I wonder why the OP didn't consider the possibility of something like this happening before final payment was made and didn't opt out of the cruise then. I may not have all the facts, but it looks like the booking was made in March 2011 for an Alaskan cruise in September 2011 to celebrate the OPs birthday and several people are going. A lot of things can change over that length of time

Ahh...what would CC be w/o the occasional "You should have known better" comment?! :D

Let me go on the record and say that when my mom and I made this booking in 3/2011 for Sept. 2012, we obviously knew that my dad's heart was NOT in the best of shape (he's up to 42 stents in his heart, now!). BUT, the surgeons/cardiologists had never, ever used the word 'transplant', until 2 weeks ago! Our TA informed us that Travel Insurance would NOT cover anything pre-existing, which, is obviously what we are dealing with, when discussing heart disease.

Now, my dad is going in for emergency LVAD surgery (this is the device that VP Dick Cheney had for 2 years). This is a battery operated, mechanical heart pump. He will have to wear 2 batteries, on the outside of his chest, at all times. The batteries have a 12 hour life span, then, must be recharged, or dad's heart quits pumping.

Due to the high electrical 'stuff' on the outside of his body, this means NO more showers, no more baths, no more swimming in his pool..EVER.. Not to mention, a huge, 10 hour surgery, plus 2-4 weeks, minimum, in the hospital, post op. Since there were only FIVE heart transplants done in San Diego last year, the hope for a transplant is slim.

Sorry to educate you all on this medical device! I thought that some of you might find it interesting, since I had never heard of an LVAD before... Would prefer to get my medical education in other means, but these are the cards I am being dealt, right now :rolleyes:

I will definitely keep you updated on how this plays out. We are attempting to get various relatives to come to So.Cal to 'dad sit', so my mom can still make the cruise. Long shot, but that's what we are trying to do. She really, really, really wants to go, if at all possible.

A million thank you's, again...to all of you. This is such a great resource!!

I hope your dad pulls through with all of his new technology. We will be thinking of you and your family...:)

Tracie: Thanks so much, for your kind words. They mean so much...

Warmest Regards,

Angie in San Diego :)

This is cancellation for a covered medical reason. OP has told us the reason is not covered. Pam's response was to this post, a covered medical cancellation.

See below, I am sorry to have to tell you this, but the Additional Fare coverage only applies if the cancellation is for a covered reason, NOT when you use the any reason. If one cancels For Any Reason, it is really better for all occupants to cancel.

Your hunch was right. The Additional Fare coverage states your travelling partner must have cancelled for a covered reason, meaning if your partner cancels and uses the For Any Reason, you are NOT covered for the increased fare.

Thank you for the clarification. Well, better the devil you know, I guess. If I have to skip a cruise, it would be due to my mother's health (a covered reason, I believe). If DH has to skip a cruise, it might be because something has gone wrong with the house (not covered?). In that case, we'd have to weigh the cost of an additional emergency round trip flight against the cost of the cruise. It's definitely cheaper to be on the ship than to stay in a hotel in Fort Lauderdale.

Archived