Visa for Turkey

forevertravel

For those that remember getting one of these things, when/where/how did you get it?

I remember having it; I don't remember the details of getting it. :o

My clearest memory is noticing that the landing card the second day did not look the same as the landing card the first day (different ports).

I went and looked at my daily Explorers. On the first Istanbul day there is a notice: "When going ashore in Istanbul, a "landing card" is required. These will be available at the gangway at any time and must be returned via the drop box provided at the gangway upon on your final return to the ship on {the next day}" There was no such notice for the second Istanbul day, nor for Kusdasi. I just don't remember getting these at all! :o :o

I went and looked at my daily Explorers. On the first Istanbul day there is a notice: "When going ashore in Istanbul, a "landing card" is required. These will be available at the gangway at any time and must be returned via the drop box provided at the gangway upon on your final return to the ship on {the next day}" There was no such notice for the second Istanbul day, nor for Kusdasi. I just don't remember getting these at all! :o :o

Memory is the second thing to go (I forget what's first). Happens to the best of us.

Getting in and out of the EU countries was extremely easy. In fact, getting back into the US was the most time consuming of any of our checks though the agents were pleasant enough. We did notice they took a little more time with our passports than others in front of us but we have the older, pre-2007 "model" which expire in early 2014 so probably time to renew here. We won't be traveling out of the country until late 2013 if things go as planned and we'd be within a month or so of the expiration date so got to get that fixed later this year or sometime early next.

Here's what we received our first day in Istanbul. Since it was an overnight we kept it until we received our passports with visa stamps the next day.
Thanks Randy! I don't recognize that at all, or anything like it. I can't explain it, but I really think we never got them for some reason.

We were in a group of 8 with a private guide. Maybe he got and held them for all of us. Or held some kind of a group permit for us. At each of our stops where tickets were required he went to a special window and got those for all of us.

Thanks Randy! I don't recognize that at all, or anything like it. I can't explain it, but I really think we never got them for some reason.

We were in a group of 8 with a private guide. Maybe he got and held them for all of us. Or held some kind of a group permit for us. At each of our stops where tickets were required he went to a special window and got those for all of us.

As I said before, we were actually a bit surprised at the lack of security, at least in comparison to what we'd previously experienced in the US and the Caribbean. As I recall in ten ports there was only three or four where they had and used x-ray and metal detector machines. The ship itself had them but never used them on our cruise. Most terminals were manned by some kind of port authority/police/contract security but in several you just kind of flashed your cabin card at them and they waved you on. Italy by far was the most casual and least concerned. Turkey officials probably paid closer attention than most but then again it was pretty quick and easy. Getting out of Turkey was a bit different as there appeared to be two or three levels of security but the hotel we stayed at had arranged our transportation to the airport and actually sent one of their concierges to the airport with us. He grabbed our documents, plane tickets, etc., and got us whisked through a couple of check points before he could go no further. Going back through London was a whole lot easier than it had been a couple of weeks earlier as our flight home was out of Terminal 3 instead of 5 and much less of a zoo and with what felt like less security. I guess part of that was that in bound we were entering the EU and therefore England was the port of entry whereas out bound we were leaving the EU headed to the US so not as much scrutiny.

• 2 weeks later...

We are beginning our cruise in Athens. When we arrive in Istanbul 2 days later, my DH and I are flying from Istanbul to Cappadocia, Turkey, staying over night and returning the next day to Istanbul--to the cruise ship and go on from there. (For those of you wondering why we aren't doing Istanbul---we will be there on a later cruise and we have always wanted to go to Cappadocia.)

Will we need a passport to overnight somewhere else in Turkey? The cruise line says no--but how can we prove at the airport that we are on a cruise ship? I know we can get them at the airport arrivals, but will we need the visa to depart from Istanbul to Cappadocia? Since the no visa rule applies to cruisers, I am wondering if there is still a Passport Control at the port?

Someone said that the ship takes our passports and the authorities come on and stamp them. It would be great if they would come before we leave to catch our plane and wouldn't have to pay. It's only $20--but if the ship has taken care of it--we won't have to.

We are beginning our cruise in Athens. When we arrive in Istanbul 2 days later, my DH and I are flying from Istanbul to Cappadocia, Turkey, staying over night and returning the next day to Istanbul--to the cruise ship and go on from there. (For those of you wondering why we aren't doing Istanbul---we will be there on a later cruise and we have always wanted to go to Cappadocia.)

Will we need a passport to overnight somewhere else in Turkey? The cruise line says no--but how can we prove at the airport that we are on a cruise ship? I know we can get them at the airport arrivals, but will we need the visa to depart from Istanbul to Cappadocia? Since the no visa rule applies to cruisers, I am wondering if there is still a Passport Control at the port?

Someone said that the ship takes our passports and the authorities come on and stamp them. It would be great if they would come before we leave to catch our plane and wouldn't have to pay. It's only $20--but if the ship has taken care of it--we won't have to.

This is an interesting situation and you should probably consult a knowledgeable travel agent. My feeling is that you WILL need the visa in order to fly to Cappadocia; they do look at your passport.

If the ship stamps your passport, that is NOT the same thing as having the visa. If a visa is necessary you'd still have to obtain one.

(P.S. Cappadocia is fabulous!)

you probably meant to say visa rather than passport (which of course you will need). are you saying you will be returning to the same ship after your overnight? if this is the case, be sure to let the cruiseline know what you intend to do, also.

you probably meant to say visa rather than passport (which of course you will need). are you saying you will be returning to the same ship after your overnight? if this is the case, be sure to let the cruiseline know what you intend to do, also.

The boarding card, as previous discussed in this thread, was only sufficient for day travel in and around the immediate area, not overnight travel away from the ship. Everybody who left the ship the next day, even if they were going directly to the airport for a flight out of Turkey, had to have a regular visa stamp in their passports. Leads me to think you're not going to get through the airport without a passport and a visa. Definitely need to bring this up with the ship's staff, the earlier the better.

Yes, I did mean to say Visa! Thanks for the replies.

We will be returning to the same ship and I have talked to them about it--but will tell the desk when we board.

I'm willing to get the Visa.

Didn't realize that the stamp from the ship is not the same as the Visa. I remember having tourist cards to carry around in other ports of call.

Does anyone know if there is a Passport Control at the port at the port Where do you get them if you are flying out of Istanbul?

I have an e-mail into the Turkish Consulate and will wait a day for an answer before I call. Seems you have to make an appointment to call--if I understand the website correctly and Monday may not be a good day!

We are looking forward to Cappadocia, but hadn't thought about these issues when i booked the flight. It will be a "power trip."

Yes, I did mean to say Visa! Thanks for the replies.

We will be returning to the same ship and I have talked to them about it--but will tell the desk when we board.

I'm willing to get the Visa.

Didn't realize that the stamp from the ship is not the same as the Visa. I remember having tourist cards to carry around in other ports of call.

Does anyone know if there is a Passport Control at the port at the port Where do you get them if you are flying out of Istanbul?

I have an e-mail into the Turkish Consulate and will wait a day for an answer before I call. Seems you have to make an appointment to call--if I understand the website correctly and Monday may not be a good day!

We are looking forward to Cappadocia, but hadn't thought about these issues when i booked the flight. It will be a "power trip."

The only "stamp" we got from the ship was actually the visa stamp in our passport. It was literally a stamp....like a big postage stamp....issued by the Turkish government not by the cruise line. I don't know if the authorities at the port....it wasn't much of a terminal....were prepared to issue visas or not as the ship handled that and the visas were in our passports when we got them back the final night of the cruise. I guess you could go to the airport and get a visa as long as you had your passport but I don't know that for sure. I know you can buy a visa when arriving from another country, just not sure how you handle that once you're in the country.

You made me go look at ours. :) No stamps for Turkey. The ship held our passports from Venice until after the last port stop in Katakolon, Greece.

ours were not stamped either. i asked the HAL crew and they said they only stamp the passports about every third cruise or so. I imagine it is a lot of work for the Turkish immigration folks.

My take on this if you are on a cruise ship just stoping there for a day or so and then leaving you need do nothing. If you are flying in you need a tourist visa which you can buy in the airport or before leaving at the Turkey emp.

My take on this if you are on a cruise ship just stoping there for a day or so and then leaving you need do nothing. If you are flying in you need a tourist visa which you can buy in the airport or before leaving at the Turkey emp.

That's my take also. The only reason we had to have a Turkish visa is because we were flying out of Istanbul at the end of the cruise. Of all the ten ports we visited from Spain to Turkey only Greek officials apparently visited the ship and inspected our passports as that's the only stamp.

Archived