Visa for Turkey

forevertravel

When we went to Turkey -- we had to get our own Visa's.

Our TA handled everything for us.

From HAL's site - you have to get your own Visa's:

Do I Need A Visa?

Some countries require that you obtain official authorization (called a visa), before entering their country. Usually, there is a fee required. You are responsible for obtaining any necessary visas.

Please click here to view a limited list of visa requirements.

For U.S. citizens, if you have questions about visa requirements, please visit Zierer Visa Service by clicking here, email them at customerservice@zvs.com or call them at (866) 788 1100.

We didn't when we did a round-trip 9/10 from Venice with two stops in Turkey.

I think if you start your cruise in Turkey you have to get your own visa, but you can get it at the airport when you land.

edit: apparently you also need a visa if you are disembarking in Turkey, but not ship passengers just staying less than 72 hours

My understanding is that if you are simply visiting a Turkish port on a cruise you will not need a visa.

If however, you are flying in to Turkey-either to board a ship or do a land trip-you will need the Visa. It is nothing more than a stamp that is placed on a page in your passport.

Unlike many countries, the Turkish Visa is easy to obtain. You buy it at when you enter the country-in our case at the airport. It can be purchased in TL or USD.

The Visa desk in Istanbul is located between gate and the baggage claim area. You cannot miss it. After that, just pick up your bags, visit the duty free if you want to buy wine, and then go through customs. It is very straighforward and for us very fast.

The cost of the Visa varries with the passport that you are travelling under. Last year I think we paid $60. US Citizens only had to pay something like $20. Like many other countries, Turkey sets their Visa prices at a reciprical amount, ie how much your home country charges Turkish citizens to enter you country.

I just returned from a short trip to Istanbul. When you fly there, you have to get a visa. It's painless. I was directed to the Visa desk where I paid $22 and they stamped my passport. The only thing they asked me was why I was there. It took less than 5 minutes.

We were in Turkey in March on a cruise. The ship actually overnighted in Istanbul the next to last day of the cruise and we were given a temporary kind of visa for the first day. Later that day our passports, which the ship had been holding since we boarded in Barcelona, were returned with full 90-day Turkist visa stamps. The ship handled all of it for us. We spent two more days in Turkey and flew home from there. In terms of passports and transits through England to Spain then Turkey to England and home we had not one issue. Terminal 5 at Heathrow is a zoo but that wasn't because of passports, it's just a somewhat confusing mess to get through.

From http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1046.html

ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS FOR U.S. CITIZENS: You need a passport and visa to travel to Turkey. Passports should be valid for at least 90 days from the date of entry into Turkey. If you are traveling as a tourist, you can purchase a tourist visa at a Turkish Embassy or Consulate in the United States, or you can purchase a sticker visa at the Turkish airport or other port of entry for $20 (U.S.) cash. There is one exception: foreigners who are traveling to Turkey by cruise ship are allowed to enter Turkey without a visa for a maximum period of 72 hours, with the permission given by the local security authorities at the port of entry.

Our passports were stamped for our visit to Turkey, so I guess the ship handled all that stuff.
You made me go look at ours. :) No stamps for Turkey. The ship held our passports from Venice until after the last port stop in Katakolon, Greece.

Of the 10 ports on our cruise, all European Union countries with the exception of Turkey, only Turkey had immigration/customs officials. Other ports were either some kind of port authority police or security personnel. I just happened to look in my passport a couple of days ago and we got stamps in England, Spain, Greece, Turkey, and the US on re-entry. Greece kind of surprised me as that meant some official came on the ship, or our passports were presented to them by the ship in the terminal, but we never dealt with them. In all ports our cabin card was sufficient to get through the light security and back on the ship. Interestingly in two ports in Italy there was no port security at all, just the ship's personnel.

Hi. Just off the NA and you do not need a Visa (at this time) if on the cruise ship. We overnighted in Istanbul and went to Kusadasi as well. The Front Office will collect your passport a few days before and give you copies. This can present a problem when trying to exchange money on land, as most currency exchanges want a passport. HAL did not have Turkish Lira available onboard. ATMs are everywhere around Istanbul and are easy to use. The ship offers a transfer for around $10 to and from an area near the Grand Bazaar. Euros are accepted many places, but be careful to get change in Euro and not Lira. This is a commom practice with taxis. If you need more info on Istanbul, let me know. Fun city and easily done on your own.

From http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1046.html

There is one exception: foreigners who are traveling to Turkey by cruise ship are allowed to enter Turkey without a visa for a maximum period of 72 hours, with the permission given by the local security authorities at the port of entry.

This is what I had happen both times my cruise ship went to Turkey. Each time was two ports, including the one port of Istanbul was two days.

In every port we were given a landing card to carry with us while off the ship. It was turned in at the end of the day, even when we were going to be in a different port the very next day.

I don't recall if we kept the same landing card for both days in Istanbul.

In every port we were given a landing card to carry with us while off the ship. It was turned in at the end of the day, even when we were going to be in a different port the very next day.

I don't recall if we kept the same landing card for both days in Istanbul.

As best Carol and I recall, we didn't get any landing card in Istanbul or Kusadasi, and we went just a year after you did.

As best Carol and I recall, we didn't get any landing card in Istanbul or Kusadasi, and we went just a year after you did.
Checked with my DB who was on the cruise with us, and he doesn't remember any landing card either.

Checked with my DB who was on the cruise with us, and he doesn't remember any landing card either.

Now you're making me wonder if I had them on my second trip; I know I had them at both ports on the first trip---different landing cards two days in a row. I forgot to turn it in the second day, and wondered what they would do to me.

Now you're making me wonder if I had them on my second trip; I know I had them at both ports on the first trip---different landing cards two days in a row. I forgot to turn it in the second day, and wondered what they would do to me.

Mentioned this thread to Mrs. K and she quickly reached in her folder of keepsakes from our March Med cruise and pulled out my "landing card" from Turkey. They took hers when we got off the ship the last morning but somehow I kept mine. :) She said she was miffed at the time it happened as she collects all sorts of stuff for our cruise scrap books.

Mentioned this thread to Mrs. K and she quickly reached in her folder of keepsakes from our March Med cruise and pulled out my "landing card" from Turkey.
Could you post a pic? Maybe that would jog my memory or help me confirm that we didn't get them. :)

Could you post a pic? Maybe that would jog my memory or help me confirm that we didn't get them. :)

Mine differed from port to port, which I thought strange at the time. So, whatever gets posted might not jog your memory after all.

We did have something when we went in September. I remember it from Istanbul but not Kusadasi but that could be a senior moment. There was a collection box that we had to put them in that was outside the ship before we boarded.

All

glad I found this thread--I didn't think we even needed a visa for turkey at all!

If I am understanding all that has been posted, since we are flying into/out of Athens for a Black Sea cruise, we will need a visa? And it sounds like we can just do this as we enter Turkey at the airport?

Just checking to be sure I am tracking!

thanks

ML

If I am understanding all that has been posted, since we are flying into/out of Athens for a Black Sea cruise, we will need a visa? And it sounds like we can just do this as we enter Turkey at the airport?

Unless you are embarking or debarking in Turkey you don't need a visa and you don't need to do anything.

Archived