HAL's Next Ship??

sail7seas

Because she's butt ugly? Literally. That addition to her stern did not add to her profile.

Because taking out her Sea View pool was a big mistake?

Of course, they have to find someone who wants her before they can sell........ :)

Because she's butt ugly? Literally. That addition to her stern did not add to her profile.

LOL Ruth, on this you and I totally agree!!:D

I just about spit my coffee all over the computer screen as I read this!! :cool:

That is exactly what I thought 3 years ago as I stood on my balcony (Nav deck aft on the Westerdam) and got the full view :eek: of the Veendam aft (and the lovely screen:eek:) as we were docked aft to aft with her. (Butt to Butt?)

Too funny Ruth:D:D:D Sad but true:D

I'm thinking there will be another two signature sister ships before they jump up much in size.

I agree the Veendam :D will be the first to go and then problably the Statendam.:(

If there will be a new ship then I don't think it will be another Signature Class ship. Since they were designed the Safety Of Life At Sea rules have changed so they would have to go with a different design to conform with the new rules. So a new design, probably bigger, would be my guess.

I agree that any new ship(s) will also be in tandem with the retirement of the some or all of the S class. I wonder who would take them especially the Veendam!

Since Alaska is such a big part of there business I would expect a design that fits in there well, and since they like to move the ships back and fourth the size should fit in the canal. The size of the smaller ships fit HAL as a brand as CCL has other brands with large ships. A very big mistake for them would be to allow the brands to blur together. The problem the small ships they now have is the small amount of affordable veranda cabins on them.

Since Alaska is such a big part of there business I would expect a design that fits in there well, and since they like to move the ships back and fourth the size should fit in the canal. <SNIP>

The problem is that the new locks will accomodate up to a 1400' x 180' vessel :eek:

The problem is that the new locks will accomodate up to a 1400' x 180' vessel :eek:

Apparently there is a height restriction due to the new bridge so some of the large to very large cruise ships may not be able to transit the canal even with the new locks. I have not verified this so I may be mistaken!

Yes, she is butt ugly. But so are so many of the ships now that I almost don't notice it any more. Perhaps the solution if you sail on her is to not look back as you get off, and focus on the bow as you approach on the return.

Removing that aft pool was a HUGE mistake. I think it makes her less saleable. Does any line do only cool-weather cruises? Plus, any line looking at buying her is going to have some kind of engineering study done to see what she needs--and from reports here, she needs a lot of work. They may have to sell her at a low price. If HAL wants to get rid of her, Alang might be the only buyer?

Yes, she is butt ugly. But so are so many of the ships now that I almost don't notice it any more. Perhaps the solution if you sail on her is to not look back as you get off, and focus on the bow as you approach on the return.

Removing that aft pool was a HUGE mistake. I think it makes her less saleable. Does any line do only cool-weather cruises? Plus, any line looking at buying her is going to have some kind of engineering study done to see what she needs--and from reports here, she needs a lot of work. They may have to sell her at a low price. If HAL wants to get rid of her, Alang might be the only buyer?

Actually Kathy, in all their wisdom, HAL has the Veendam slated for the Hawaii and Mex Riviera route in 2013......:rolleyes:, they must really hate us left-coasters!:eek:

Actually Kathy, in all their wisdom, HAL has the Veendam slated for the Hawaii and Mex Riviera route in 2013......:rolleyes:, they must really hate us left-coasters!:eek:

Yeah, Bermuda isn't exactly a cool-weather port either, and she spent 3 summers there. Sooooo stupid.

Selling Veendam and Statendam? If you were a buyer, would you go for the oldest and the ugliest one? I would offer a bit more and take the other 2 S-class ships.

I do not think Thompson is interested, they already have 3 HAL ships. Anybody else heard that Saga cruiselines is retiring a ship in 2014?

All the best,

SeaSheep

I probably think that in an early future the Statendam Class ships will be sold for sure! And maybe some of the Rotterdam Class ships will be also sold to a lower cruise line. I am from Barcelona, and in Spain cruise lines like Pullmantur or IberoCruceros would be very interested in these Holland America ships. I'd also add another Prinsendam to the cruise line, add 2 more Eurodam Class ships, I am also sure they are thinking of a mega ship (Solstice style). And if the S class and R class will be sold they would create a new ship class Rotterdam size. So in a future these could be the HAL fleet:

Elegant Explorer Class (37.000 GT-835 passengers)

• Prinsendam
  • Prinsendam II

Rotterdam Class Style but Newer (60.000 GT-1400 passengers)

• New ship
  • New ship I
  • New ship II
  • New ship III

Vista Class (82.000 GT-1900 passengers)

• Zuizerdam
  • Oosterdam
  • Westerdam
  • Noordam

Signature Class (86.000 GT-2100 passengers)

• Eurodam
  • Nieuw Amsterdam
  • New ship I
  • New ship II

Mega Class (120.000 GT-2800 passengers)

• New ship I
  • New ship II

According to the captain of the Maasdam at the Mariners' brunch - HAL's next ship will be a large one:rolleyes: He had heard of no plans to build a small ship - of course we can always hope that things will change:)

This topic has been brought up in length many times on many different threads. People have forgotten that CEO Kruse mentioned in a press conference that there aren't any immediate plans for a new ship. However, when a new ship is planned it will be larger than the present Signature class ships.

People have stated that they think the most comparable class of ships for the new class would be something in the likes of Celebrity's Solstice class ships. A lot of people compare these two lines together. I agree that these two lines are alike in many ways.

I believe what HAL is waiting for right now is the ok from CCL C.P to go ahead with a new building plan. I can almost guarantee that the new ships won't me smaller than the present Vista class ships. For some of the present followers of HAL this isn't new that you would like to hear. The money now comes from balcony/verandah cabins, and speciality restaurants. These little ships like the "S" class ships can't take the beating of more rooms, this can be seen on the Veendam with it's AC problems. Also there will be a time when these older ships don't turn a profit. What I mean by this is that the money these older ships bring in will not off set the cost to run them. That is why they are transferred or sold do other lines.

The expansion of the Panama Canal is scheduled to be completed in 2014. I would guess either in 2013 or 2014 HAL will release information about a new class of ships of the economy doesn't tank further.

According to the captain of the Maasdam at the Mariners' brunch - HAL's next ship will be a large one He had heard of no plans to build a small ship - of course we can always hope that things will change

Jacqui emailme

I very agree, Kazu.

I think there is NO hope of a ship any smaller than 92,000 and it is more likely the next ship will be in the 110,000 range.

JMO.......

Again, an out of the blue, my own guess with no hints or clues from anyone, as to when HAL will announce a new ship.........

sometime mid 2013?

Shall we start a poll?

See who guesses closest to the actual date HAL makes an official announcement about their next ship?

We could make it:

Date of announcement - - - - - - - - - - - - - Size of Ship

Whoever comes closest to both Wins!!!

Beats me what the prize will be. :D

Intereting speculations. My guess is that they will utilize a hull design that Carnival or Princess uses, with HAL touches, of coarse. We will be looking at 2500 + passenger size. I doubt that a Prinsendam size ship will be built due to economy of size.

Though Stein Kruse says that they have no immediate plans to add to the fleet, the financing costs are now so low that Carnival will be tempted. They appear to be making a bigger push with Princess, in adding ships. I hope that they do not neglect HAL along the way.

Elegant Explorer Class (37.000 GT-835 passengers)

• Prinsendam
  • Prinsendam II

That's unlikely to happen, imo. But if it were to happen, that would be Prinsendam II and Prinsendam III.

The first Prinsendam is sitting at the bottom of the sea, off the coast of Alaska.

A new build may be telling as to where Carnival wants to take the HAL brand.

At the moment HAL seems to be neither 'fish nor foul' given that it operates small, high per diem ships with extended itineraries as well as large ships, often with a much lower per diem, in the competitive 7-12 day mass market itineraries.

Add to the mix that some of those smaller, older ships are either due for replacement, retirement, or extreme makeover and it becomes anyone's guess.

RCI spun off Azamara from Celebrity. Carnival Corp already has premium cruise lines in it's corporate stable.

IMHO, Carnival Corp needs to come out of the closet and establish a go forward brand strategy for HAL. The current strategy is very, very confusing.

Celebrity's Solstice class ships get the best member reviews by Cruise Critic members. They would be the ships to emulate. Such ships would not satisfy HAL's old timers, but would liven up the Holland America brand.

Archived