Paris - 3.5 Days Pre Cruise

hubofhockey

• 11 months later...

I just spent a great late night read on this thread..Thanks to hubofhockey and others for tips ..especially Restaurants as I'm just beginning to look at places to day during our Sept visit. We have an apt in Marais area. Thanks to you all I know we want to do a dinner cruise on the Seine, dinner at L Ange, learned about Bistros..... I have all ready dog eared Rick Steve's Paris book! Thanks so much! Cruisy Susy

After hearing you all talk about this Marais bistro I am ready to take our group there mid September...but the web site is in French and I don't see how to make reservations via email. I am wondering how far ahead to make reservations....anyone have any tips? Thanks cruisy Susy

After hearing you all talk about this Marais bistro I am ready to take our group there mid September...but the web site is in French and I don't see how to make reservations via email. I am wondering how far ahead to make reservations....anyone have any tips? Thanks cruisy Susy

Assuming you're talking about Bistro L'Ange 20 (8 rue Geoffroy de L'angevin) I recommend you go back to their web site. Yes, the web site is written in French, but across the top there are some links and the English word "Contact" is one of the options.

When you click on the link, you'll come to a page that appears to be written in French. Look over the information and you'll see an obvious email address. Just use that to write them an email. Don't worry if you're writing in English. It is a rare restaurant or business that does not employ at least one English-speaker. Since this is a highly rated restaurant on Trip Advisor, I suspect lots of the employees are fluent in English and can deal with your email.

I'll add a bit of warning however. I'm often amused by French (and Italian) restaurants that include their email address. Both the French and Italians are a more formal culture than Americans and prefer the formal, personal interaction of a phone call to make a reservation. Don't be surprised if in spite of offering the public an email contact, you don't hear back from them. Part of the problem may be that you're inquiring too early about a reservation. Part of the problem may be that they really, really aren't into using email.

Your concierge may be able to place a phone call to you to find out some early information like the size group the restaurant can handle and how far in advance you can make a reservation.

Having warned you about the French's general resistance to email reservations, I'll share a nice exception. The French have developed a web site that functions quite like Open Table in the US. In France, the URL is http://www.lafourchette.fr but that site is written in French with no icon to push to convert to the English site. This is quite surprising since a parallel English site exists:

http://www.thefork.com/city/paris/415144

If a restaurant participates in the site, you can take care of your reservation easily, although there's probably a limit about how far in advance The Fork can book.

Per Nit Noy Thankyou so much for your information. I don't think my "culture Smart France" book covers French etiquette when it comes to making reservations! Thank you for that insight . I will wait a bit and see if we can make online or may be able to call ahead. Thanks to Seabreezer for your input also...Cruisy Susy

La fourchette is now in English. It's a great resource.

Trying to figure out how to access the English screen via Lafourchette.com, I discovered the toggle is hidden in plain sight.

In my experience on foreign language sites, the toggle to English on is either the abbreviation EN or the icon of the British flag. Neither of those appears on the home page. Instead, there are four icons at the bottom of the screen. The icon on the far right shows an image of the globe. Hovering my mouse over the globe brings up the code EN (COM). EN is easy enough to figure out. COM doesn't mean anything to me. Nevertheless, if someone clicks on that icon, he/she will be taken to the English language version I wrote about in my post (#105).

Bottom line: Typing in http://www.thefork.com takes one directly to the English site with Paris restaurants as the default position. La Fourchette.com becomes equally easy to use now that I've cracked the code of the globe icon. (Perhaps the globe icon is a stab at political correctness since countries other than Britain have English as their official language.)

Reservation@lange20.com

The chef/patron, Thierry, has worked in London, Canada and the US and speaks excellent English. I sent an email to make a reservation in French and Thierry replied in English. As the restaurant is tiny, a reservation is essential.

I have dined at L'Ange 20 twice. The food was excellent and very reasonably priced. Seating is cramped and you will be shoulder to shoulder with other diners. If you need to go to the loo a lot, then sit on the outside. The conviviality, or otherwise, of your neighbours will determine the evening's atmosphere. On the first occasion, my companion and I were seated between two American couples and the conversation, as well as the wine, flowed. It was a wonderful evening.

Last year, we were next to a young Chinese couple who only drank water. The atmosphere was consequently subdued and, although the food was still great, it was a far less memorable occasion than previously.

Dermot

Glad my thread got revived. After three years away, we're going back to Paris next year and bringing our kids who will be 17 & 15.

L'Ange 20 is happy to answer emails, and you absolutely need reservations. Great point about the atmosphere. When we went, all were enjoying cocktails and wine and having fun.

Yes this is a great little thread and I am learning a lot and saving all the good information you all have posted. We are spending 6 nights in. Normandy first...then driving back to. Paris and staying in apt in Marais for 8 nights before driving to Switzerland. I want to find 4-5 good local resturants for dinner after long days of touring around. And stop by local markets for cooking some night. Too. Thank you all so much for your info! Cruisy Susy

The dinner cruise on the Seine is a great experience. We paid more for a dinner cruise in Amsterdam, but the Paris one we did had better food, was more comfortable, had live music, better atmosphere and the Seine. Not sure if we'll stay Gramont Opera again, but we will surely stay again close to center of Paris.

Yes this is a great little thread and I am learning a lot and saving all the good information you all have posted. We are spending 6 nights in. Normandy first...then driving back to. Paris and staying in apt in Marais for 8 nights before driving to Switzerland. I want to find 4-5 good local resturants for dinner after long days of touring around. And stop by local markets for cooking some night. Too. Thank you all so much for your info! Cruisy Susy

If you'll be staying in Bayeux, I highly recommend La Rapiere restaurant. This place serves fabulous classic French food. (YOu'll discover you'll have to work somewhat harder to find classic French food in Paris. Modern French is quite common and, surprise, it's sometimes hard to distinguish Modern French food from upscale, quality restaurants you'll find in the US or for that matter many cosmopolitan cities around the world. Modern French food may be delicious but it's not necessarily what visitors are looking for.)

Our D-Day guide recommended Petite Normandy restaurant, also in Bayeux, We did not eat there, but I sure wish we had. I do not recommend Petite Resto. This place attempts to be very creative with unusual combinations of food that are just odd. There wasn't a dish that didn't have something jarring about it. My appetizer -- a tower of lentils, whipped garlic-y cheese and smoked salmon -- sounded delicious on paper. Whoops! The lentils were undercooked so much that they crunched. I scraped them off and ate what remained.

I have a great lunch recommendation near Omaha Beach. There's a hotel and a restaurant by the same name. The English translation involves the words "pine sapling nursery" or "little pine nursery." This place is on the road that parallels the beach so I'm confident my clues will be sufficient. Great mussels, especially the cream version a la Normande. Even their vegetable soup was great. Again, classic Normande food, although our guide ordered a hamburger! He claimed they served some of the best hamburgers around.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

It's really fun to take a cooking class, especially one that includes a market tour. There are quite a few options but we went with "Cooking with Class". Great location in Monmartre near a metro stop and our half day class included a fascinating market tour.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all for information. Hubofhockey...would you recommend a particular dinner cruise? We had a day dinner cruise a few yrs ago that was very nice as part of a ships tour...so I'd like to see the seine at night this time...We are staying in a BnB near the town of Villedieu les Poeles and exploring Normandy area from there. Thanks again..cruisy Susy

Thank you all for information. Hubofhockey...would you recommend a particular dinner cruise? We had a day dinner cruise a few yrs ago that was very nice as part of a ships tour...so I'd like to see the seine at night this time...We are staying in a BnB near the town of Villedieu les Poeles and exploring Normandy area from there. Thanks again..cruisy Susy

http://www.bateaux-mouches.fr/en/peniches-paris/dinner-18.html

Link is above. It includes champagne and wine and there is more than enough. We did a dinner cruise in Amsterdam this summer and it could not touch either the dinner or atmosphere on Bateaux Mouches.

We're going back to Paris with our kids for a few days next summer. They'll be 17 & 15. I plan to repeat some things I did two years ago, but some things will be different. Already decided to rent a large apartment in the Marais and I'm looking at Blue Bike Tours. We'll repeat some things and do some new things. Can't wait to get back. Unfortunately, no cruise before or after, but maybe Eurostar to London.

Am gonna get flamed for this, but we think the Bateau Mouche dinner cruise is just one awful tourist trap! Do not get me wrong....and boat ride on the Seine (day or night) can be fun and romantic. But the entire Bateau Mouche operation is about volume. While their boats are perfecting fine for a ride on the Seine we would never recommend them for dinner. If you do not care about your food, then by all means. But if you want really want to pass-up a decent Paris restaurant for a dinner cruise there are some better options. For example, the Bateau le Calife is a far better option. Unlike the Bateau Mouche, this company has real chefs who actually prepare their meals onboard. But you can pay over $100 per person...although you do get a decent meal.

Hank

Am gonna get flamed for this, but we think the Bateau Mouche dinner cruise is just one awful tourist trap! Do not get me wrong....and boat ride on the Seine (day or night) can be fun and romantic. But the entire Bateau Mouche operation is about volume. While their boats are perfecting fine for a ride on the Seine we would never recommend them for dinner. If you do not care about your food, then by all means. But if you want really want to pass-up a decent Paris restaurant for a dinner cruise there are some better options. For example, the Bateau le Calife is a far better option. Unlike the Bateau Mouche, this company has real chefs who actually prepare their meals onboard. But you can pay over $100 per person...although you do get a decent meal.

Hank

Sounds like you had a bad meal. I won't flame you. To each his own. I remember you writing something similar on a thread long ago and I am very happy that I ignored your advice. You give very good advice, but I'm thinking your experience and mine were different.

http://www.bateaux-mouches.fr/en/peniches-paris/dinner-18.html

Link is above. It includes champagne and wine and there is more than enough. We did a dinner cruise in Amsterdam this summer and it could not touch either the dinner or atmosphere on Bateaux Mouches.

We're going back to Paris with our kids for a few days next summer. They'll be 17 & 15. I plan to repeat some things I did two years ago, but some things will be different. Already decided to rent a large apartment in the Marais and I'm looking at Blue Bike Tours. We'll repeat some things and do some new things. Can't wait to get back. Unfortunately, no cruise before or after, but maybe Eurostar to London.

we are planning on taking 2 grown kids w/ 2 grandkids (boy will be 17 & girl 12)

to paris in 2016 - anxious to hear all about what you do and place you are renting

have spent hours researching apartments till i am crazy trying to decide !!:eek:

main requirements - 2 bathrooms and no stairs unless there is at least a small elevator -

we stayed in marais years ago when stairs were not a problem - many in marais have no elevator

Edited by loma linda ca a & j

we are planning on taking 2 grown kids w/ 2 grandkids (boy will be 17 & girl 12)

to paris in 2016 - anxious to hear all about what you do and place you are renting

have spent hours researching apartments till i am crazy trying to decide !!:eek:

main requirements - 2 bathrooms and no stairs unless there is at least a small elevator -

we stayed in marais years ago when stairs were not a problem - many in marais have no elevator

Sure, I emailed one of the owners of Blue Bike Tours and she advised me not to get a hotel room when you have kids because the rooms are too small. She sent me the following link http://www.airbnb.com/ and I found a couple of nice apartments in the Marais. We weren't far from the Marais when it was just my wife and me and walked through it. I liked this one. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2657807?checkin=11%2F08%2F2014&checkout=11%2F12%2F2014&guests=4&s=dM_a. Not sure of the layout, but there are many choices. You could get six in it. We're just using it for four.

I'll either update this thread for our next Paris vacation or start another one for four days in Paris with two teens.

Edited by hubofhockey

Sure, I emailed one of the owners of Blue Bike Tours and she advised me not to get a hotel room when you have kids because the rooms are too small. She sent me the following link http://www.airbnb.com/ and I found a couple of nice apartments in the Marais. We weren't far from the Marais when it was just my wife and me and walked through it. I will post the link to the apartment I liked. Not sure of the layout, but there are many choices. You could get six in it. We're just using it for four.

I'll either update this thread for our next Paris vacation or start another one for four days in Paris with two teens.

thank you !!!! will check out that site & watch out for your updates !!!

forgot to say we'll probably be there for 7 or 8 nights with the family

and maybe stay a few days more w/out them before going back to london

or other areas in france or europe - we never fly anywhere and stay less

than a month to get our $$ worth out of the wretched flights !!!:eek:

• 1 month later...

Well, here is my update. Our dates are set and, after a long weekend in London, we'll be taking the Eurostar to Paris Tuesday, August 25 and we'll return that Saturday, August 29. It's really another 3.5 days in Paris. Funny how that works out.

I used two different online services in my search for an apartment. In addition to airbnb.com, I also used homeaway.com . The apartment I found and just felt good about is on 211 Rue L'Universite, very close to the Eiffel Tower. In fact, this place has an unbelievable view of the Eiffel Tower. 1d520251-8aaa-4d35-984f-c996c48b0e0c.1.10 The cost was 280 euros per night, which is a better price than two separate hotel rooms. It has two bedrooms and also a sofa with a good mattress. There is an 85 euro cleaning fee as well. In any case, we like the location. It's close to the banks of the Seine River and walkable to attractions. The place has air conditioning, which is not always easy to find in Paris. During my research, I found that this is hard to get in the Marais because of various building restrictions. That was a game breaker for my wife.

In any case, our agenda this time with our kids will be different and a move from the Left Bank to the Right Bank should make it interesting as well. We plan to do bike tours for the Paris city tour and also a full day bike tour of Versailles with picnic. We'll include a Marais walking tour and also repeat the skip the lines behind the scenes tour of the Eiffel Tower. My wife and daughter will also make it to the those huge Paris department stores. :eek: I also understand that teens are welcome in the Paris jazz clubs.

Really looking forward to getting back to Paris.

Link to our rental. http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p387722

Edited by hubofhockey

Well, here is my update. Our dates are set and, after a long weekend in London, we'll be taking the Eurostar to Paris Tuesday, August 25 and we'll return that Saturday, August 29. It's really another 3.5 days in Paris. Funny how that works out.

I used two different online services in my search for an apartment. In addition to airbnb.com, I also used homeaway.com . The apartment I found and just felt good about is on 211 Rue L'Universite, very close to the Eiffel Tower. In fact, this place has an unbelievable view of the Eiffel Tower. 1d520251-8aaa-4d35-984f-c996c48b0e0c.1.10 The cost was 280 euros per night, which is a better price than two separate hotel rooms. It has two bedrooms and also a sofa with a good mattress. There is an 85 euro cleaning fee as well. In any case, we like the location. It's close to the banks of the Seine River and walkable to attractions. The place has air conditioning, which is not always easy to find in Paris. During my research, I found that this is hard to get in the Marais because of various building restrictions. That was a game breaker for my wife.

In any case, our agenda this time with our kids will be different and a move from the Left Bank to the Right Bank should make it interesting as well. We plan to do bike tours for the Paris city tour and also a full day bike tour of Versailles with picnic. We'll include a Marais walking tour and also repeat the skip the lines behind the scenes tour of the Eiffel Tower. My wife and daughter will also make it to the those huge Paris department stores. :eek: I also understand that teens are welcome in the Paris jazz clubs.

love that view !!! wow !!!!

know you will have a marvelous time seeing both london & paris again !!!

are u using paris walks - we took 2 marais tours with them - learned so much !!

can't wait to hear about your trip next year !!;)

wonder if there is another one in the same building for my husband and me so the 4 others could have that same apt. you chose - it def. says it is for 4 only - looks so nice and that view from balcony is awesome !!!;)

we could always get a hotel room nearby - says it is near rue cler - rick steves raves about that area !!!:D

oh you mentioned moving from left bank to right bank - this looked like it was on left bank ??