Chair Hogs - Finally a NCL Policy to be implemented?!

jordans mom

I read in USA Today that NCL is getting ready to roll out a "chair hog" policy that will limit reserving chairs to 45 min. Staff is to put a sign on chairs that are empty and even go so far as to remove items into a hold area after 45 min.

If SO - all I can say is:

ITS ABOUT FREAKING TIME!:D

I have been aggravated for a long long time waking up and going to the deck to find lines of chairs with towels and no people for hours at a time.

Thank you Thank You NCL

If you do a search on this forum for "blue dot," you'll get lots more details and see how it's been working out so far. Or, click on the blue dot in sdmike's signature ;)

I agree, it's definitely about time they stepped up and started enforcing their own policies!

Unfortunately, this will probably last as long as Champagne on embarcation and "lobster every day" that was also promoted by NCL.

If they won't enforce underage curfew, dress code, adults only pools, smoking in non-smoking outdoor areas, among others, why would we think that they actually will do something?? Reports from some of the trials is that it is not being enforced by the crew, even with the "dots".

This reminds me of some of my bosses who would return from a seminar of some kind and be all fired up about trying something new....until about day 5 when the new thoughts basically evaporated.

Unfortunately, this will probably last as long as Champagne on embarcation and "lobster every day" that was also promoted by NCL.

If they won't enforce underage curfew, dress code, adults only pools, smoking in non-smoking outdoor areas, among others, why would we think that they actually will do something?? Reports from some of the trials is that it is not being enforced by the crew, even with the "dots".

This reminds me of some of my bosses who would return from a seminar of some kind and be all fired up about trying something new....until about day 5 when the new thoughts basically evaporated.

LOL

Your 100% correct. That can't / won't even enforce the rules in place now.

Here is a link to the article if anyone is interested.

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2012/08/cruise-line-deck-chair-saving/819311/1

If this is the article that the OP is speaking about, it does not say " NCL is getting ready to roll out a "chair hog" policy that will limit reserving chairs to 45 min. " It says that the Program they are trying on the Star will be evaluated in the next couple of weeks.

And it doesn't give a use time period for the new program. Some spokesperson says the old fleetwide policy was 45 minutes. I'm really not sure when the time period changed to a fleetwide policy since I have in front of me a daily from the Pearl less than one year ago that states. "If any chair is left unattended longer than 30 minutes..."

So if this is the article OP that you were reading it does not say they are finally implementing a policy but they have a pilot program being tried on the Star (the blue dot program that others have referred to), that they will evaluate.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1655290&highlight=blue+dot

If this is the article that the OP is speaking about, it does not say " NCL is getting ready to roll out a "chair hog" policy that will limit reserving chairs to 45 min. " It says that the Program they are trying on the Star will be evaluated in the next couple of weeks.

And it doesn't give a use time period for the new program. Some spokesperson says the old fleetwide policy was 45 minutes. I'm really not sure when the time period changed to a fleetwide policy since I have in front of me a daily from the Pearl less than one year ago that states. "If any chair is left unattended longer than 30 minutes..."

So if this is the article OP that you were reading it does not say they are finally implementing a policy but they have a pilot program being tried on the Star (the blue dot program that others have referred to), that they will evaluate.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1655290&highlight=blue+dot

You are correct , it has always been 30 minutes . Not that it meant anything.

I read in USA Today that NCL is getting ready to roll out a "chair hog" policy that will limit reserving chairs to 45 min. Staff is to put a sign on chairs that are empty and even go so far as to remove items into a hold area after 45 min.

I have been aggravated for a long long time waking up and going to the deck to find lines of chairs with towels and no people for hours at a time.

Thank you Thank You NCL

Having a policy and enforcing it are two different things.

I can only hope that NCL enforces it. They are not enforcing many of their current policies.

It would just be eaisier for there to be pool attendants that would go up to folks preparing their chairs for "hogging" and tell them they can't do that! Make them take their stuff back with them!

It's always obvious which folks are going to use the chairs compared to those who are just laying claim to a chair that they may or may not use!

We were on the Star last month. We saw staff using the yellow dots and when they walked away whoever was in the lounger next to the lounger with a dot simply took the dot off and threw them away. We saw that happen several times.

Just got off the Star on Sunday. As previously posted they used yellow dots (stickers) and wrote the time on them and stuck to your towel or chair. I came back from a pool break to find on our chairs. I was never gone for more than 20 minutes or so from my chair. Don't know if this system worked. Only saw it one day and didn't see anyone come back to check my sticker.

I agree that MORE CHAIRS would help the situation! The space for the chairs was there! I felt bad when I saw people circling over and over again looking for a place to relax on deck.

Thank you Thank You NCL

On my last cruise, I would go to the gym at 7 am and on my way back to my room I could see that most of the chairs had already been reserved by the pool with towels. Now who goes swimming at 7:30am? These people probably took their time getting up in the morning, having a leisurly breakfast knowing that a chair was waiting for them by the pool. Thank goodness this habit will finally change.

On my last cruise, I would go to the gym at 7 am and on my way back to my room I could see that most of the chairs had already been reserved by the pool with towels. Now who goes swimming at 7:30am? These people probably took their time getting up in the morning, having a leisurly breakfast knowing that a chair was waiting for them by the pool. Thank goodness this habit will finally change.

My wife actually goes swimming even earlier than that if the pools are open. She likes to get her laps in, though we have heard when we will be on the Epic next week that the pools are not large enough to swim laps.

We even had one cruise in which there was a hurricane, She managed to get her laps in very early. Later the pools were drained.

Archived