Carnival Cruise Lines Pilots Airline-esque Perks-For-a-Fee Program

smoosh21

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4936

Not sure if anyone read this, but Carnival is letting non-Elite passengers buy Elite perks for just $50 per cabin per cruise.

This doesn't seem like the best way to reward loyalty. Adding $50 to a vacation that is already costing over $1500 really isnt that much.

Why should you be loyal to a company when anyone else can come in and buy those perks for just a small fee.

Isn't the only Carnival perk priority boarding?

We've only sailed with Carnival twice, so I'm not sure. I wouldn't pay $50 for that though. On all of our cruises (RC and Carnival) we always get to the port early, and have had no issues waiting to get on board. Same with tendering, etc. There might be a small line waiting to board, but it's always a line I don't ever mind waiting in. :)

How is this any different than when you check in at the airport and for $50 you can have a day pass to the airlines first class lounge?

It's a revenue stream.

Don't want it, don't pay for it. Too easy

Not sure if anyone read this, but Carnival is letting non-Elite passengers buy Elite perks for just $50 per cabin per cruise.

This doesn't seem like the best way to reward loyalty. Adding $50 to a vacation that is already costing over $1500 really isnt that much.

Why should you be loyal to a company when anyone else can come in and buy those perks for just a small fee.

Yup, you're right, they're thumbing their noses as repeat/loyal customers in pursuit of new passengers and extra income streams.

And, I understand from a different thread, Carnival is going to start charging for checked luggage after the first one.

Nowhere in any communications from Carnival has that been said. The person on CC who posted that was wrong and admitted so.

Yup, you're right, they're thumbing their noses as repeat/loyal customers in pursuit of new passengers and extra income streams.

I could easily be wrong, but I've never understood Carnival's perks to be all that great to begin with. Carnival has always struck me as a cruise line for first timers and/or those who don't expect luxurious suites or numerous loyalty perks. If my perception is true, how would this be any different?

And, I understand from a different thread, Carnival is going to start charging for checked luggage after the first one.

You're joking, I assume. I hope. I pray. Gosh, what's next? Charging for a pillow and a blanket? (Oops...Sorry...I didn't meant to give CCL any ideas.)

All the negative talk I hear about this seems to suggest a "thumbing of the nose" at the loyal cruisers. Seeming to forget they actually got to have those cruise vacations to begin with. It's not like people spent all that money just so that 70 days at sea later they could skip this line or that line. The way some people are talking, they sound like they threw that money away for all those cruises.

Also overlooked is the people who have earned the status will still be at the head of the line. As well, if enough people who have earned the status are booked on a cruise, they won't sell the perk, (or as many of them), although I'm sure they way some Carnival VIFP's whine, if they show up at the port at 1 and there is a line, they will just blame Carnival for selling a bunch of $50 passes to a bunch of lowlifes who have no business being on the ship before them.

How is this any different than when you check in at the airport and for $50 you can have a day pass to the airlines first class lounge?

It's a revenue stream.

Don't want it, don't pay for it. Too easy

And boy does it steam me--as someone who pays a steep annual fee for that lounge--when I can't find a decent seat because of all the "day pass" people who are often loud and messy. Grrr...

Personally I think that once an entity starts opening perks previously reserved for those who either pay an annual fee or who are the most frequent travelers with that organization for a fee to the general public it not only lessens the value of those perks to those who actually earned them but also lessens brand loyalty by your most coveted customers--the "whales"--who will feel less valued by the brand.

There are in my opinion better ways to add revenue stream that won't alienate your top tier guests.

All the negative talk I hear about this seems to suggest a "thumbing of the nose" at the loyal cruisers. Seeming to forget they actually got to have those cruise vacations to begin with. It's not like people spent all that money just so that 70 days at sea later they could skip this line or that line. The way some people are talking, they sound like they threw that money away for all those cruises.

It's not that they didn't get the cruises they paid for, but the promotions they were offered (promised) for being (becoming) a loyal customer no longer exist - right now, those promotions are for spending more money with Carnival, not for being a loyal and frequent customer. In other words, Carnival doesn't value repeat business any more than new business; as a business person, I think that's a bad decision, and as a customer, it encourages me to shop around and not be hesitant to try new things and change my purchase habits on the whim of an advertised bargain.

Not true! The Carnival site reports that this "excursion" will allow a "limited" number of people to pay $50 to board first (basically priority boarding and tendering) AFTER the platinum and diamond guests. This excusion does not give them any of the other platinum or diamond perks and as already mentioned does not even get them on board first. They will still have to wait for me and my platinum/diamond brethren. :p

Doesn't really seem like its worth the money but we will see how many take them up on it!:rolleyes: I am glad that they are still giving priority to their platinum and diamond guests.

And boy does it steam me--as someone who pays a steep annual fee for that lounge--when I can't find a decent seat because of all the "day pass" people who are often loud and messy. Grrr...

Personally I think that once an entity starts opening perks previously reserved for those who either pay an annual fee or who are the most frequent travelers with that organization for a fee to the general public it not only lessens the value of those perks to those who actually earned them but also lessens brand loyalty by your most coveted customers--the "whales"--who will feel less valued by the brand.

There are in my opinion better ways to add revenue stream that won't alienate your top tier guests.

You sound like someone who would be very happy cruising the expensive class system cuise lines. Why not leave Carnival to the other "loud and messy low lifes" who want to enjoy what their cruise line offers without having to bother with the high and mighty like you.

Archived