Perks worth paying for

Bridge Maven

I hate having to pay different extra's - no matter for what.

If necessary I rather pay a higher cruise price overall, but I want to know that everything is included. I make an exception for alcoholic drinks and specials (hairdresser, massages, excursions, etc.), but everything else should be included in the price I know when booking.

A reason is also that all these paid for extras would create different treatment of passengers (depending on what you are willing or able to pay extra) and does not create a good atmosphere on the ship. I know there is a difference between perks for suites, etc., as well as speciality restaurants but this is clear up front and I can live with that. Anything more would be too much. It is very nice now to be able to go to all venues (shows, pools, etc.) without distinctions being made or having to pull out wallet.

I can already imagine the threads popping up about nickel and diming onboard.

Once you start to go down this road just think of all the revenue possibilities.. (Think of the creative airline execs...)

Charge for delivering a suitcase to your stateroom,

Charge for turning down the bed,

Charge for the second entree or dessert,

Charge for juices,

Charge for any tender to port

Charge for water pitcher and ice cubes

Charge for any entertainment

Charge for towels poolside,

Charge for any chair poolside,

The list could be endless

Remember when the best meals were free prior to the specialty restaurants being required for an excellent dining experience?

I'd pay extra to use an indoor hydro pool or T-Pool like the one on Galaxy.

I'd pay extra to have a served dinner w/tablecloth and menu in the Buffet area -- Limited menu for a little extra -OR- MDR menu, for a little more.

I'd pay extra for a served lunch in the Buffet when the MDR is closed.

I'd pay a dollar to use a tray in the buffet.

I would pay extra for priority tendering. Not having to get up extra early, knowing for sure we could meet our private excursion and having a not rushed breakfast would be good.

Greetings

I think you can already do this. Just book a suite and you get priority tendering. It is paying alot extra if that's all you want, but is is available. I also believe that Elite's get priority tendering also.

Good Sailing

Tom

Travel on M-class ships -- they have buffet trays now.

Or, get sneaky! Order room service. Keep the tray. Bring it with you to the buffet and watch the jealous looks of your fellow passengers!

You'll now be able to spot the people who read cruise critic... we'll all be dining with our personalized trays... :D

I agree, I would pay more in my fare to have better service, better quality of food ect. I guess bring back the way it was. I do not feel it's bad now but there have been cuts in all.

I've found this is already available.

I pay extra for better service and food by booking AQ and eating in Blu. Nobody is saying you can't do the same by paying for a specialty restaurant.

I pay extra for all inclusive drinks by purchasing the premium alcohol package.

I've heard on the news that Carnival is initiating a new policy where people can pay extra for priority embarkation and debarkation.

Celebrity's Captains Club used to have a fee. One of the perks was priority disembarkation. When they went to a free Captains Club those who had paid became founding members and were still entitiled to priority disembarkation. Most of those people are probably elite by now.

I was going to say I do not pay and do not want tot pay for anything additional. But, I do try to sail in Aqua Class so I guess I do pay more. But no, don't start charging for other stuff. Nothing I can think of that I'd pay extra for.

Duane

I agree Nereus....just don't even go there. It's one thing to charge for something new and unusual that was never included before, but charging for services would really open a can of worms.

With the exception of the bridge program, none of the items on my list were ever part a Celebrity cruise. All of them either were or are currently offered on another cruise line. So they would be new to Celebrity. The cruise lines that have or had these features included them in their cruise fare, but I think it would be unrealistic to expect Celebrity to raise their cruise fares to include more, or include them at their current cruise rates.

Had to laugh when I read this because I remember on a 7-day cruise that I took in the early 1970s on the NCL Southward my friend and I paid $6/pp for our assigned deck chair.

I was wondering what that cost would translate into a comparable rate today, and then I remembered that the price we paid for cruises in the 70s and 80s were actually higher than cruises today.

It's complicated.

Tricia, the ship I was on that included your own deck lounge chair at no extra cost was Leonardo da Vinci (Italian Line).

None of the choices. Sorry, but cruise lines don't need incentives in charging for more things like the airlines have done. Before you know it, they'll be charging for extra towels, seats in the theater, bringing more than one piece of luggage, a premium for better food in the buffet, and on and on.

I agree 100% (1000% if it were possible). We should already expect our comedians, shows, and entertainment to be good. Shame on Celebrity when they are not (which unfortunately happens quite a bit). Don't see why they can't arrange a bridge tournament or the like for free. Reserving pool chairs? I am not a pool person but I hate to see another charge for anything.

What they could do to resolve the pool chair hogging debacle on most cruises is to have some kind of reservation system. Wouldn't be all that hard to do. There are already computer programs that do it for entertainment venues - it could easily be adjusted to a pool configuration. Seats could have numbers, and be reserved. There could be programmed limits on time slots (maybe four hours at a time, once per day or similar - whatever seems fair). A certain additional number of seats could be left to first come/first served. Don't know why it hasn't been done already.

Brilliant idea! We have reservation systems for our library computers. The same process could easily used - swipe your sea pass and get a reservation ticket for a certain time period.

Are you paying attention Celebrity!!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the exception of the bridge program, none of the items on my list were ever part a Celebrity cruise. All of them either were or are currently offered on another cruise line. So they would be new to Celebrity. The cruise lines that have or had these features included them in their cruise fare, but I think it would be unrealistic to expect Celebrity to raise their cruise fares to include more, or include them at their current cruise rates.

I wasn't addressing you...it was some of the other posts. I thought I clarified myself by saying what I did and not including services. Celebrity does have concerts, comedians, and shows, so I guess it would depend on the caliber of these things whether I would care to pay more.

Have you been reading the Carnival boards? If I had rugrats, I'd definitely pay the 50 bucks to drop my carry-on luggage off in my cabin as soon as I board. Other than that, I'd like a chair in the shade, but I'm not gonna pay you much for it?

Sent from my SGH-T859 using Tapatalk 2

I, too, would pay for a reserved chair. Not even necessarily right by the pool, either. Just knowing for sure it is there for me all the time, and that I won't have to go on the chair-searching hike, or take my towel, book and everything else with me if I go for a bite to eat, would be so worth the money in stress and irritation reduction!

Archived