Snorkeling mask...ugh

mitsugirly

If you have only tried with toothpaste, try with dish soap. Also use a cotton ball to scrub it.

I use baby shampoo as well, but it still doesn't work if the mask isn't clean.

Put the anti-fog on just before you get in the water. Spread it around with your fingers and a little water, and then just rinse the mask with water. If you scrub it completely clean with water it won't work.

So glad i stumbled upon this thread. My hubby and i have fogging issues as well. We've started using toothpaste, and it seemed to work well the first time we used it (lasted 3 or 4 trips to the pool) but now it seems it fogs up almost immediately.

We weren't scrubbing hard though as we didn't want to scratch the lenses. So we'll give it a big old scrub and rinse, followed by the anti fog we got with the mask (which never worked to anti-fog anything lol). Hopefully that combo will work. If not, we'll try the baby shampoo.

These are prescription lens masks, so i hope they're not made of a different material that will scratch easier than other masks.

The toothpaste clean is the best method but it may help you to have some idea of why masks fog up anyway (even after you have removed the manufacturers coating).

USING YOUR MASK IN A POOL - Pools are full of suntan lotions and body oil, these will coat your mask and fog it - Toothpaste clean needed after pool use.

PUTTING YOUR MASK ON YOUR FOREHEAD. - The sun beats down, you sweat and the sun lotion you applied evaporates and coats your mask (put it around your neck instead).

BREATHING THROUGH YOUR NOSE - Your breath is always warmer than the mask lens = condensation.

Hope this helps

So glad i stumbled upon this thread. My hubby and i have fogging issues as well. We've started using toothpaste, and it seemed to work well the first time we used it (lasted 3 or 4 trips to the pool) but now it seems it fogs up almost immediately.

We weren't scrubbing hard though as we didn't want to scratch the lenses. So we'll give it a big old scrub and rinse, followed by the anti fog we got with the mask (which never worked to anti-fog anything lol). Hopefully that combo will work. If not, we'll try the baby shampoo.

These are prescription lens masks, so i hope they're not made of a different material that will scratch easier than other masks.

The pool is your problem (see my previous post)

I have a Bi - Focal mask that is 8 years old and has done a lot of dives, never had a problem with the lenses.

No need to waste money on fancy anti fog solutions, soft soap works fine, as does good old "spit"

The toothpaste clean is the best method but it may help you to have some idea of why masks fog up anyway (even after you have removed the manufacturers coating).

USING YOUR MASK IN A POOL - Pools are full of suntan lotions and body oil, these will coat your mask and fog it - Toothpaste clean needed after pool use.

PUTTING YOUR MASK ON YOUR FOREHEAD. - The sun beats down, you sweat and the sun lotion you applied evaporates and coats your mask (put it around your neck instead).

BREATHING THROUGH YOUR NOSE - Your breath is always warmer than the mask lens = condensation.

Hope this helps

I believe the pool must be my problem too. I don't breathe out of my nose (I barely do that when not swimming due to a lot of sinus problems lol) and I don't wear any sun screen. So it has to be the pool. So, I guess this means the only time I will be able to test this out is when I'm cruising twice a year. :(

And just a plain bad idea in the ocean. Too easy to have the mask knocked off and lose it.

And just a plain bad idea in the ocean. Too easy to have the mask knocked off and lose it.

Yea, I don't do that either because usually I dip my head back to get my hair to go back out of the way so that none is hanging in my face for a good seal. :)

We were taught in our dive training that you ALWAYS keep your mask on your face when in the water. A mask on the forehead is a sign of a distressed diver. When in distress one will instinctively remove their mask in a panic state.

I've been snorkeling for over 30 years and I've had fogging issues for...over 30 years. No matter what I use, how I clean it, etc. my mask still fogs. If I use my own or rented, new, old, whatever, it always fogs. I've tried every type of anti fog out there to no avail. I think that it's because my face is always hot. My husband and I take the same trips, use the same soaps to clean and no matter what we do, my lense fogs and his does not. It's got to be something with the temperature of my face i believe.

That being said.....since I have no control over my hot face issues, I have never tried the baby shampoo, but will definitley try it on our next cruise in a couple of weeks. If it works for this foggy girl, it will work for anyone I'd imagine.

The next best thing that I've done is rubbed a bar of dry soap on the inside lense, dry wipe it off and be sure NOT to get the lense wet before you get in the water. Works wonders....until you get any water in it, then it stings your eyes....so not the best method.

Mike Nelson did it all the time and he never lost his. ;)

:D yep, and in my first certification class back in 73 we were taught to don the tank with the two hand over the head method AND practiced the 3/4 front flip "mike nelson entry" ... try either of those on a dive boat today! :eek: crew will have a FIT. We also trained with J valve tanks, two hose single stage regulators and there was this thing called a FENZY vest people were talking about

fenzy1.jpg

trivia qustion: one company provided all the dive equipment for 'sea hunt' .. or maybe I should say one company's equipment was used (dunno if it was given). What company?

Today: mask on the top of the head is a no no .... easy to loose it ... pull it down around your neck if you must. Same reason most dive boats now have ladders that accom' keeping your fins on until you are on the boat .... too many folks dropped 'em taking off on the ladder, then went back to try and get 'em and things would often go bad fast..... I just 'audited' dd's open water c' class this past March.

100_0032.jpg

note one good student and one not good student and and one with mask still on . . .

last comment

soot .... aka ash .... has been used as a very fine polishing/rubbing compound for years, similar to toothpaste. And dawn dishwashing liquid is a highly recommended wax remover - recommended in the car wash world when you want to remove/strip old wax b4 a new application. Depending on the type of coating on the new mask ... very possibly a good choice. Know whether your mask lens is plastic or glass is my suggestion; b4 you set off with aggressive cleaning approaches.

My dive buddy (and boyfriend) is a master instructor and has been diving for 39 years. He got into it because of Sea Hunt and he still loves doing the "Mike Nelson entry." He has a banged up knee, so it's actually easier on him to do that rather than a back roll. It does freak out the other divers, especially if they're newbies.

He hasn't had any real problems with the boat crews other than in Belize when he did it off the deck that was five feet above the water. I'm thinking of starting to do it, too, just because it looks like a lot of fun.

I have learned a lot on this thread! Thank you so much!

DH and I have just purchased a snorkel 'kit' (each) from a local sporting good store. We have taken our new equipment to our indoor health pool to try things out. After reading all the remarks, I asked him if his mask fogged up ever. Answer is no. Neither has mine. So is this something that 'might' happen or will it happen at some point? I always take Dawn with me as a pre-treater on clothing and spills on them. So, when we go to use our new toys in December, I will have that with me.

I have another question for all you experts out there. I was (I guess) over exuberant in using the fins. I ended up wearing holes in the tops of my toes on both feet while staying under for 1/4 a mile in the pool at a time. The scabs have just now dropped off and I want to start playing again in the pool! So, my question:

Do you have feet issues with the fins rubbing? What do you suggest? I bought mole skin and could also use old socks. Help, please?

Thanks!

I have another question for all you experts out there. I was (I guess) over exuberant in using the fins. I ended up wearing holes in the tops of my toes on both feet while staying under for 1/4 a mile in the pool at a time. The scabs have just now dropped off and I want to start playing again in the pool! So, my question:

Do you have feet issues with the fins rubbing? What do you suggest? I bought mole skin and could also use old socks. Help, please?

Thanks!

That's funny, I was just thinking about asking the same thing about the fins. After a lot of snorkeling, I start to get a rub on the top of my foot in the same place (the opening by my toes) on both feet. I had thought about bringing a pair of socks or something to see if that helped. Any suggestions?

You can use lycra socks that are sold by dive shops for this purpose.

Is this a special "kind" of snorkel/fin sock? Or just a regular lycra sock? Do you know how much they usually run?

What part are you from? I'm between Cleveland and Akron.

I'm in Columbus. :D

They're a thin sock, like a diveskin. I bought a pair from either scuba.com or scubatoys.com to make it easier to slip my dive boots on. They were around $7.00. I didn't end up using them because I didn't like the feel of the seam, but it probably wouldn't bother a lot of people.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived