Cruise Hope Chest

l8cruiser

We are still looking forward to our first cruise in September. We started a cruise hope chest. We printed of a check list from cruise critic of all the items that we will need on our cruise. During the months and weeks leading up to our cruise, we purchase some of these items and check them off the list. This way, we are not having to go out and purchase all at one time. While we are grocery shopping , we can pick up a few items. We just throw everything into the cruise hope chest "shoe box".

We do similar. We know from past cruises what we need and over a few months leading up to the cruise we start buying things when on sale if possible. Definitely makes it easier than buying everything last minute.

We are still looking forward to our first cruise in September. We started a cruise hope chest. We printed of a check list from cruise critic of all the items that we will need on our cruise. During the months and weeks leading up to our cruise, we purchase some of these items and check them off the list. This way, we are not having to go out and purchase all at one time. While we are grocery shopping , we can pick up a few items. We just throw everything into the cruise hope chest "shoe box".

After your first cruise, you will most likely become addicted...You may switch to a cruise closet. :D I find as the cruises go by, we seem to pack less then when we first started cruising. My shoes even had their own suitcase.

I suggest you consider each item to see whether you need it or not. I see many things on here liste as Must Have that we have never taken and never wished we had.

So true. Am not exactly sure what you would be putting in a "cruise hope chest".

So true. Am not exactly sure what you would be putting in a "cruise hope chest".

I guess you could call it a be prepared items box. We have sunblock, seasick meds, advil and other meds. We have lip balm, lysol spray, chlorox wipes, night light,band aids,extra camera batteries, wrinkle release and travel size toiletries. It just easier to pick up these items over a period of time than all at one time.

I've done that too :) I have a big plastic tub on my dining room table that I've slowly been filling. I don't plan on packing half the stuff that has been suggested on these boards. Just the little stuff I know we'll use like downy wrinkle release, travel packs of kleenex, binoculars, etc and things we might need like a small ziplock of a variety of OTC meds, bandaids, neosporin etc Most of it is stuff we travel with anyway. Only a couple things left to get :)

Great idea we have our backpacks with our cruise stuff collecting in them. This way the kids know if its cruise stuff it goes in there that way stuff doesn't wander off and get used otherwise. Another benefit is that you don't blow you vaca pocket money on stuff you could have picked up cheaper in season. Sunscreen goes on sale in the summer but not in the winter

After your first cruise, you will most likely become addicted. I find as the cruises go by, we seem to pack less then when we first started cruising. My shoes even had their own suitcase.

Very true! My first cruise I had a full sized suitcase packed to the gills and didn't even need half of it. Now I can get nearly everything in an airline carry-on bag. Just have to work on DW to condense her packing list and we would be flying through the checkin lines. Have a great cruise.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

We have a shoe holder (the kind with the pockets) on our hall closet door where we put all that small stuff. Easy to see what we've got on hand and what we need to get before we go. I like to get those items ahead of time too. Then a couple of weeks before we go I start putting our clothes in the "cruise closet" so everything is in one place before we start packing.

I do a similar thing for every trip, but it's more about collecting things from around the house than buying new things: extra camera battery, extra camera memory cards, collapsible water bottle, etc. As I think of them, I toss them in the bag/box/whatever I'm collecting them in instead of just adding them to a list.

I have went as far as buying ( my girlfriend and myself ) those cheap full size rubber rafts at our local dollar store .. enought for each of us to use on each stop with a beach. I will blow them up and use for the day.. and after give them to 2 of the children on the beach , they are so flat when new. they take up no room, and after I don't have to try and get them folded back up to take back to the ship. and for $1.00 its well worth it ..

:)

I have a dedicated tub in a closet that holds the items we use when we travel--especially to the UK--Mobal phone, travel adaptors, organizer/packing bags, umbrellas, travel kettle, leftover or unused travel size items etc. It's good to have it all in one place and ready to go.

I have a dedicated tub in a closet that holds the items we use when we travel--especially to the UK--Mobal phone, travel adaptors, organizer/packing bags, umbrellas, travel kettle, leftover or unused travel size items etc. It's good to have it all in one place and ready to go.

I have been on more than a couple of cruises (I can't wear "white" anymore)...

I keep all of my extras for travel (see quote above) in an empty extra large suitcase in my closet. We all have those huge suitcases that are almost too large to travel with but we are too cheap to get rid off just in case.

Just an idea,

Donna

Those are all really good items. Personally, I never brought the lysol or wipes but some people are extra careful about that. Purell stations are all over the ship but I never use them as my skin reacts very severely to it. Instead I travel with Bath & Body Works Handi-Bac which is any antibacterial hand lotion.

My one suggestion is to make sure the lip balm has an SPF. Blistex makes some as do other companies

We use an anti-bacterial lotion called Veripur that is supposed to last for 4 hrs and is non-drying. Found it on clearance in Walgreens after a recommendation on CC. Don't forget sunscreen.

Many years ago I made up my own computer lists for clothes, medications, toilitries (we don't like the ships soaps, shampoo) , etc.

Then about a month before the cruise, we buy the items we need.

Have a wonderful first cruise. You will be hooked after that cruise.

I started buying stuff for the cruise a couple of months ago. I'd just pick up few things here and there and toss them in my bin. That way the cost is spread out and I don't blow a chunk all at once right before our cruise. That little stuff can really add up.

9 days now til we board the plane and I'm done. Except sock and that's only because the ones I want are warm and sold in fall/winter and have not come out in the stores yet. I checked again yesterday and saw their thin summery socks are on clearance now so hopefully they'll be in the store before we leave!

I don't use a chest, I use my suitcases, but it's the same idea.

I buy stuff like sunscreen, bras, socks, beach towels, water shoes, snorkel gear, bottle of advil, etc and put them in my suitcase for safe keeping until I'm ready to pack for the cruise. Out of sight out of mind, so i wont use them beforehand and so I know where they are.

I have a "To Buy" list and when I have the money and I'm out and about if I come across something on my to buy list, I pick it up, tick it off, and put it away :)

Archived