How would you feel if Princess upgraded you from a balcony to a Window Suite?

burm

I am doing the cruise round the Horn. We are in a mini. Did you use your balcony a lot? :)
Tracie, it all depends. The weather can be cold and not pleasant for a good part of the itinerary. It'll be warm in Buenos Aires and Montevideo but as you approach the Falklands and until you're perhaps a couple of days before Santiago, it's not warm enough to sit outside for long, and that's if it's not raining. Or the reverse if that's your itinerary. On the other hand, the inside spaces, particularly the buffet where people camp out all day, tend to get very crowded because few people are at the pool (much worse if you're on a ship without a covered pool) so being able to retreat to the extra space in a mini-suite is nice. But, I would never book a mini-suite for the balcony on this itinerary. This is one where a WS would be really nice IMHO.

Tracie, it all depends. The weather can be cold and not pleasant for a good part of the itinerary. It'll be warm in Buenos Aires and Montevideo but as you approach the Falklands and until you're perhaps a couple of days before Santiago, it's not warm enough to sit outside for long, and that's if it's not raining. Or the reverse if that's your itinerary. On the other hand, the inside spaces, particularly the buffet where people camp out all day, tend to get very crowded because few people are at the pool (much worse if you're on a ship without a covered pool) so being able to retreat to the extra space in a mini-suite is nice. But, I would never book a mini-suite for the balcony on this itinerary. This is one where a WS would be really nice IMHO.

Thanks, Pam. I will up running on the track at 6 am. I will be out on the decks as we round the horn. But my mom has some limited mobility, and she really enjoys having a balcony. The Star doesn't have WS so it is a non issue for this cruise. I really appreciate your response. I want her to have a wonderful cruise!

Thanks, Pam. I will up running on the track at 6 am. I will be out on the decks as we round the horn. But my mom has some limited mobility, and she really enjoys having a balcony. The Star doesn't have WS so it is a non issue for this cruise. I really appreciate your response. I want her to have a wonderful cruise!
Running? Hmm... I think I last ran some time in the 50's. :) Enjoy the balcony and bring layers. A lightweight fleece hat to cover your ears, mittens and a scarf will be very handy. A cowl-like neck warmer than can be pulled up to cover your head is perfect for this.

Running? Hmm... I think I last ran some time in the 50's. :) Enjoy the balcony and bring layers. A lightweight fleece hat to cover your ears, mittens and a scarf will be very handy. A cowl-like neck warmer than can be pulled up to cover your head is perfect for this.

The running these days looks more like a little stooped over shuffle/walk than running per se, but it keeps me moving. Very important on a ship.

I will bring warm clothes, but no matter how cold it is, I normally end up in running pants and a t-shirt. I will shed the fleece and earwarmers somewhere on the track. One nice thing about the Star is that it has a 9:1 track unlike some of the newer ships with an 16:1.

I am really excited about this cruise... Can you tell?:)

On another thread, we have been discussing dubious upgrades and the new ability to request an upgrade only to a higher category, such as a balcony to a mini suite as opposed to a higher grade balcony in what Princess considers to be a superior location but we might not.

Someone wondered about the possibility of ending up in a Window Suite, to some a wonderful upgrade from a standard balcony, to others like myself a move that would have me pretty upset. I need my balcony!

So, people, would you be happy to move from a typical balcony cabin to a more spacious and luxurious suite WITH NO BALCONY?

I would be very unhappy. I want my balcony

I am doing the cruise round the Horn. We are in a mini. Did you use your balcony a lot? :)
You are in a mini-suite and IMHO the extra space will be nice to have for the six sea days (most of the Cape Horn (Scenic Cruising) is actually a sea day between Cape Horn and the Falklands and the same with the Amalia Glacier (Scenic Cruising) day. We had great views from our Caribe deck balcony rounding Cape Horn. We were in the Chilean Fjords for most of the three plus days between Cape Horn and Amalia Glacier. We had great views from our balcony during that stretch. The only time I left our balcony for viewing was during the scenic cruising of Amalia Glacier when the deck above the bridge was open. We did not feel that crowded on the star and could get a pretty good seat for the shows within 30 minutes of the show. That was our experience but YMMV.

The Golden will be doing SA for the 2013/2014 season so WS will be available for that season.

This won't happen as they only upgrade Ocean views to these cabins, they don't move balcony holders to them. Friends were in an OV guarantee and got the minisuite OV. If you pay for a balcony you get a balcony.

We had a balcony for our trip around the horn. It was too hot to sit out there when we were in Argentina and Buenos Aries and again when we were a day out of Valpariso when the sun was shining strong. But it was perfect when shade hit it and early morning. For further south like the Falklands and around the horn and thru Glacier Alley we were out there a lot. We did need a sweatshirt but it was quite comfortable. We did have some light showers one day but our balcony was covered so we were perfect.

It will be a cruise of extremes, hot humid, cool, cooler, hot and humid again. Remember that it is summer in the south when ships sail there.

Enjoy

vickie

On another thread, we have been discussing dubious upgrades and the new ability to request an upgrade only to a higher category, such as a balcony to a mini suite as opposed to a higher grade balcony in what Princess considers to be a superior location but we might not.

Someone wondered about the possibility of ending up in a Window Suite, to some a wonderful upgrade from a standard balcony, to others like myself a move that would have me pretty upset. I need my balcony!

So, people, would you be happy to move from a typical balcony cabin to a more spacious and luxurious suite WITH NO BALCONY?

Very upset since I paid for a balcony non-obstructive view. They would be hauling me to jail. F'ing heh.

i have already been upgraded to a caribe balcony for upcoming RT from LA to Hawaii. Would trade it in a heartbeat for the Suite amenities. I have told my TA that. The room is twice the size of a balcony. There are still 6 of 7 WS's available on our cruise. Hey upgrade fairy, I would love one.

does anyone know if there are any mini suites on the Ruby that have no balconies. I hope not as I am in a guarantee mini suite and would not be happy without a balcony

You have nothing to worry about. It is only the Island and Coral Princess that have mini suites with mo balconies.

We were upgraded from a mini to a WS on our Nov cruise to Hawaii on the Golden. It was a fantastic suite and of course all the wonderful perks. Not sure I would want to give up a balcony if headed to the Caribbean , but anywhere else I would take it a gain in a minute

We were upgraded from a mini to a WS on our Nov cruise to Hawaii on the Golden. It was a fantastic suite and of course all the wonderful perks. Not sure I would want to give up a balcony if headed to the Caribbean , but anywhere else I would take it a gain in a minute

Were you given a choice?

Hawaii seems like prime balcony territory to me. :confused:

You seem to be the first that went from a balcony of any type to a WS.

On some itineraries it seems that WS are less expensive than minis. I saw that on a short cruise once. :)

Archived