Flying from US to Barcelona for cruise

sr5242

Not exactly cruise related, but I was hoping to solicit people's advice for flying overnight from US to Barcelona. I haven't flown internationally in over 15 years, so I can concerned about now to prepare my body in advance for the overnight flight. Flying from Chicago to London, then on to Barcelona, so about 10-12 hours from leaving home to arriving at hotel.

In the old days people recommended melatonin- is that still good?

Thanks!

so are we and we will not go to sleep when we first land so that our bodies get onto the time zone of Barcelona. We will try to sleep on plane and then stay awake once we land. It is tough but it gets your body clock reset pretty fast.

Have fun and good luck

Chris

I was told when I flew over, to avoid any caffine and alcohol for days before you fly - I was told to quit these for a full 30 days and then could pick them up when over. I did that and did not have any problem adjusting going over, but I did start right back on caffine when I got over there.:)

We don't make a connection in Europe. It is SO much easier on the body to make the connection in North America, during hours when we are normally awake, rather than in the wee small hours (body time) in Europe. We can sleep longer on the flight over that way. We'll connect at O'Hare, Dullas, Dallas, Atlanta..., but London or Frankfurt? NO way! Getting some sleep on the plane works the best for us avoiding jet lag. Most of our cruises involve transoceanic flights (Atlantic or Pacific) and jet lag hasn't been a problem. Now, we do arrive at least a few days before we board. That helps too. The generic seasickness medicine, meclizine, knocks me out. So much so that I can't use it for cruising, but I may try it on our next intercontinental flight for even better sleep.

Not exactly cruise related, but I was hoping to solicit people's advice for flying overnight from US to Barcelona. I haven't flown internationally in over 15 years, so I can concerned about now to prepare my body in advance for the overnight flight. Flying from Chicago to London, then on to Barcelona, so about 10-12 hours from leaving home to arriving at hotel.

In the old days people recommended melatonin- is that still good?

Thanks!

On a related not be sure to arrive to Barcelona a day or more before the cruise. I prefer more for touring.

The advantage of arriving early is that you get over the jet lag before you board the ship, you minimize the chance of missing the ship due to delayed flight or cancelled flight and should your luggage go missing it provides more time to locate and get it to you before the cruise.

Keith

I took Ambian on a flight back from Africa (18 hours total with a fueling stop). Apparently I ate dinner, got up and walked around and spoke with people in the plane.... my DH thought the ambian didn't work for me. I have absolutely NO RECOLLECTION of any of those events. I will NEVER take ambian again. It scares me that I was not conscious of my activities. :eek:

I take Ambian also..I would never consider taking it during a flight and I wouldn't be recommending it to other's either..

Never a good idea to be under the influence of anything during a flight, just in case of an emergency when a quick response could very well save your life. JMHO;)

I take Ambian also..I would never consider taking it during a flight and I wouldn't be recommending it to other's either..

Never a good idea to be under the influence of anything during a flight, just in case of an emergency when a quick response could very well save your life. JMHO;)

Like!

I took Ambian on a flight back from Africa (18 hours total with a fueling stop). Apparently I ate dinner, got up and walked around and spoke with people in the plane.... my DH thought the ambian didn't work for me. I have absolutely NO RECOLLECTION of any of those events. I will NEVER take ambian again. It scares me that I was not conscious of my activities. :eek:

My father, who is a retired MD, told me that he used to take Ambien and the called his stockbroker and me, and he had no recollection of what he said. he didn't even believe he called his stockbroker until the stockbroker played back the recording of their conversation.

Archived