Carnival $50 drink package

Orator

CNBC just announced Carnival's new all you can drink program called "My Awesome Bar Program". Cost is $50 and you can order any drink that's less than $10.00. Think that they're asking for problems. CNBC will be discussing this very soon.

why do you think they are asking for problems?

Celebrity has had unlimited drink packages for several years now, with no apparent major problems.

RCCL also offers them on European cruises with no issues, right?

Its hardly a new concept, so why would there be major problems?

(I think I know where you are headed with this but I want to see how you phrase it)

why do you think they are asking for problems?

Celebrity has had unlimited drink packages for several years now, with no apparent major problems.

RCCL also offers them on European cruises with no issues, right?

Its hardly a new concept, so why would there be major problems?

(I think I know where you are headed with this but I want to see how you phrase it)

Just my feeling that when one buys a one day package they will try to use it to the max. When people have a longer program they tend to use it more wisely. Perhaps I'm just reflecting my own behavior.

I'm not sure that Carnival implementing a program similar to Celebrity's will be all that problematic. I have to assume that the OP was implying that Carnival's reputation for a younger, more boisterous clientele prompted their concerns.

Assuming that the packages must be purchased for the duration of the cruise the way Celebrity's are, a young party animal will probably balk at the price. Someone who scrapes together $400 for a cheap cruise is unlikely to be willing to commit an extra $350 for drinks. Back when I took my first couple of cruises as a young single person, there is no way I would have spent that much extra for a drink package. Also, an article I read about Carnival's new drink plan stated that every person in the cabin has to buy the package, which may be a further deterrent. It will definitely prevent a lot of package sharing concerns.

I used to go to all-inclusive resorts, and I don't recall a lot of out-of-control drunken behavior, even at the cheaper resorts. At least on a ship, I expect that security will do their best to keep people in line.

The fact remains that anyone who is really intent on being intoxicated and disorderly can make it happen, whether or not they have a drink package available to them.

I agree with Orator that this has the potential for some serious problems. Carnival has a younger demograhpic, many more short cruises and far more people treating their cruise like it is a booze cruise than is the case on Celebrity. While one can get intoxicated without a drink package, having paid for unlimited drinks makes it far, far more likely someone will imbibe in a few too many. It may not be a huge factor on cruise longer than five nights, but on the four and five nighters I can see a lot of ugliness materializing as a result of this package.

Greetings

Carnival requires everyone in the same cabin to have the package. This is to prevent sharing. Hope everyone on Celebrity is mature enough so that this does not become necessary for their packages.

Good Sailing

Tom

We recently sailed on Celebrity in April and witnessed first hand people "sharing" one drink card. In one instance we were at the pool and saw a passenger get a beer from the pool bar on the upper deck, come downstairs and get another drink at the pool bar on the lower deck and give it to his wife. Carnival is spot-on in requiring all persons sharing a cabin to get the card.

We did sail on Carnival last year and saw people using a group drink package which is something that Carnival has offered for awhile. It was for group bookings only, and all people in that particular group had to participate in the package. We did notice that the mixed drinks were served in substantially smaller glasses than usual.

That being said, we didn't witness any excessive drunkeness on Carnival although there was one night that there were a few tipsy people participating in karaoke, but that was very late night.

I am in my late 50's and am Platinum with Carnival and enjoy their product.

I can say hand on heart I have never seen any behaviour which I would describe as out of control owing to drink, on any of the cruises we have sailed.

$50 per day includes gratuities, and when you consider the average price of a drink, it doesn't take much to hit that figure. I will be looking to purchase this package on my next cruise.

What is the difference with what Celebrity offer in their drinks package.

CNBC just announced Carnival's new all you can drink program called "My Awesome Bar Program". Cost is $50 and you can order any drink that's less than $10.00. Think that they're asking for problems. CNBC will be discussing this very soon.

I thought it was interesting that Carnival is actually limiting the amount of drinks you are entitled to on the program. You can actually only have 15 drinks per day.

If you are limited to 15 drinks....I doubt most people will be drinking a Latte or bottled water as one of the 15. I feel it encourages over consumption of alcohol by not allowing guests to get value out of their package by sipping some non-alcoholic options.

Celebrity's package is slightly more expensive for premium but for me it is a far better value.

I believe that is correct. Think they should call it "Drink Till You Drop".

BrendaJ: I'm not sure that Carnival implementing a program similar to Celebrity's will be all that problematic. I have to assume that the OP was implying that Carnival's reputation for a younger' date=' more boisterous clientele prompted their concerns. [/quote']

It could also be a "Drink Till You Puke" situation. Not everyone "drops". There are other less than desirable consequences from drinking too much and/or losing control/judgement.

Agree on Brenda's point or image for "Carnival's reputation for a younger, more boisterous clientele". Not that all passengers on Celebrity are perfect, but Carnival does pitch and seem to appeal to an image that fits more closely with "young and drunk"!!

Interesting development.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 99,108 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

I believe that is correct. Think they should call it "Drink Till You Drop".

Exactly some fools will try to get more than their money's worth-even if it puts them under the table. I know some fool posted a few years back that he drank over 200 sodas on the soda package in a 7 day cruise. Not good for his kidneys-I don't care how young he is-that is asking for problems.

HAL had a good drink package-I think you got 10 drinks/ maybe 8? for $60?- It has been 3 years so I can't remember exactly-but there was a LIMIT to the drinks-no more than we drink it lasted for almost all of the 10 day cruise we took. Hubby did buy 2 more I think-but he said it was not worth buying another card since we used that one up like 2 days before the cruise ended.

Greetings

Carnival requires everyone in the same cabin to have the package. This is to prevent sharing. Hope everyone on Celebrity is mature enough so that this does not become necessary for their packages.

Good Sailing

Tom

Woo-hoo! More alcohol for infants! :D

Seriously, in the all the cruises I have taken with Carnival, only the first had anything like a "party atmosphere". And only because it was during spring break. This won't change a thing for Carnival actually. Though I wonder if my left over drink coupons will still be good.

Hi Everyone,

I think a fitting name for this program, would be Shipfaced :)

Glad you injected a bit of humor here Andy!!!

IMHO, the package has noticeably changed some of the demographics on X a bit..... and it is not solely related to age...

We recently sailed on Celebrity in April and witnessed first hand people "sharing" one drink card. In one instance we were at the pool and saw a passenger get a beer from the pool bar on the upper deck, come downstairs and get another drink at the pool bar on the lower deck and give it to his wife. Carnival is spot-on in requiring all persons sharing a cabin to get the card.

I surely don't feel that everyone sharing a cabin should have to have a drink card. Anyone sailing with me would be out of luck since I only drink water and unsweetened tea. Guess any friend traveling with me would be screwed.

I have never personally witnessed anyone on X sharing a drink card. Not saying it doesn't happen, just haven't seen it myself.

Hi Everyone,

I think a fitting name for this program, would be Shipfaced :)

Hysterical - wish I had thought of that one!

By the way, this is the Celebrity Board, not Carnival.

I surely don't feel that everyone sharing a cabin should have to have a drink card. Anyone sailing with me would be out of luck since I only drink water and unsweetened tea. Guess any friend traveling with me would be screwed.

I have never personally witnessed anyone on X sharing a drink card. Not saying it doesn't happen, just haven't seen it myself.

I agree- I am not into alcohol.

I like the specialty coffees- I rarely drink alcohol, though hubby did convince to have half a glass at wine at dinner a couple of times this last cruise. He had bought a bottle and friends gifted us another bottle through Celebrity. Normally it is water at dinner and coffee after dinner for me.

It's okay though-I doubt we would book Carnival anyway, only to go with friends who like Carnival and even then I am not so sure-but even if we did-hubby may drink 3 or 4 drinks max in a day-so that card would not be worth it for him I guess it really does not effect us. I guess it is like the one guy said before me-this is the Celebrity board not Carnival-LOL! However, unlike him I do like discussing it!

By the way, this is the Celebrity Board, not Carnival.

There is an ongoing review of the policies and business practices of the competition. Policies that appear to generate revenue are often adopted by other lines. Therefore, what happens on one line might have a significant impact on another. Thus, a discussion of this topic is germaine.

Archived