CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

Ours is still aways away, February 10th, 2013, but looking at preliminary travel plans...Does anyone have any ideas on how to pull this one off:

The first set of plans I have come up with is this..We are looking at traveling by train on 2/9 (day before) to EWR, then catching a hotel shuttle (yes I know all about the AirTrain) and staying in a hotel. Now, a lot of the hotels offer the cruise transportation as additional cost, which is fine, but are they willing to just drop us back off at Newark Airport for the train ride home?

There is supposedly a shuttle from the port to EWR that no one really knows if it truly exists or not. If it does, how do you book it? Should I just suck it up and pay a car company and have them take us from hotel to cruise and then from cruise to airport? Do I book the hotel, use their R/T transfer (pay the fee) and then have them just drop us back at the hotel where we can get their shuttle back to the airport?

Any thoughts are appreciated and yes, I think over-think everything. I run 100 mile races (yes all at once), so planning months and months ahead of time is engrained in me!

UGH I typed a reply and my laptop flaked out.

Book your own hotel and your own transfers...see my blog for suggestions..link below my countdowns...

Independent Driver may work for you...but they do not have a website..and only book about 4-6 weeks out....(that is the name of the company)

There is a shuttle from the pier to EWR but you have to wait til it fills up of course...it is $17 PP...you just go out to the right and tell them that you want to go to the airport..(taxis are to the left.)

Yes it exists...not sure why people do not know...they likely are not paying attention....

You may want to just get dropped off at NEWARK PENN STATION to return by train..at least they have red caps.......there are no red caps at the EWR station, and you seem to know that there is no vehicular access.....

For hotels, you could also look at the Newark Penn Station Hilton...they are attached to that train station....and it would save you hauling your stuff on the monorail at the airport....just an idea..

HTH...come back if you have more questions...

First of all, I want to thank megr1125 for your blogs & your willingness to answer graciously all these questions! You are truly the Cape Liberty 411 woman, and your information has made me comfortable with the following travel plan.

My wife & I are aboard the 10/14 EOS sailing (work constraints forced a change from a cruise aboard the Allure out of FL scheduled for earlier in the month, so we decided to return to lovely Bermuda for a week). We're flying in from Anchorage Alaska to Philadelphia via Seattle on Alaska Airlines. We'd have gone into EWR as we've done before except (due to our last-minute changes) we found those flights full. Not a problem; we leave ANC after work on Friday evening, have a short overnight sleep in a nice hotel right alongside the Seattle airport, then hop east to Philly in daylight arriving around 5pm - with just enough daylight to get a rental car onto the turnpike north to NJ (a route I've driven several years ago). The super bonus came when we were bumped to first class seats for the entire series of flights.

We're staying at the Courtyard Newark Elizabeth (on Glimcher) on Saturday night (having stayed there before, I was familiar with it, and the CI property showed full for the night, although it's now listing availability again). I'm a geocacher, and have my eye on a dawn visit to Liberty State Park - crazy possibly, but I'm planning on a quick and early visit there and am hoping that early Sunday morning traffic will be low volume. I'm then dropping the car at EWR, hopping back to the hotel via their shuttle from the airport, and joining my wife for a cab ride over to the port with an expected arrival to the terminal around noon. We're not too pushed to get to the terminal much earlier; this gives my wife a chance to sleep in as part of adjusting to the four hour time change coming east (and I can indulge my desire to visit Liberty State Park at dawn for about an hour or so). We're expecting to take a cab from the hotel. Do you think there will be enough cab availability to just call as we're ready, or should we schedule that in advance with a car service? Any other thoughts on our plans?

Thank you Meg for your reply :)

It is usually a flat rate..you got taken for a ride.

As for Bayonne Taxi, i am having a hard time getting their contact info....mainly due to my lack of coffee this AM.......i used to have a number for them...i will poke around.

Check with Independent Driver...number on my blog....no website...no frills and many CCers use.

Whatever you do...do NOT let the hotel call a service for you...they are getting kickbacks....the rate you paid is $25 bucks too high..even if allowing for traffic.....

ETA: yes, the number for Bayonne Yellow cab looks correct......

you could probably call any of these.....

http://www.bayonnenj.org/taxi.htm

Thank you Meg for your reply :)

you're welcome...let us know if you need anything else..

BTW check your siggie...you have some bad code in one of your items...might want to delete.....i think it was a countdown clock...and there were issues with that site..

Edited by megr1125

First of all, I want to thank megr1125 for your blogs & your willingness to answer graciously all these questions! You are truly the Cape Liberty 411 woman, and your information has made me comfortable with the following travel plan.

My wife & I are aboard the 10/14 EOS sailing (work constraints forced a change from a cruise aboard the Allure out of FL scheduled for earlier in the month, so we decided to return to lovely Bermuda for a week). We're flying in from Anchorage Alaska to Philadelphia via Seattle on Alaska Airlines. We'd have gone into EWR as we've done before except (due to our last-minute changes) we found those flights full. Not a problem; we leave ANC after work on Friday evening, have a short overnight sleep in a nice hotel right alongside the Seattle airport, then hop east to Philly in daylight arriving around 5pm - with just enough daylight to get a rental car onto the turnpike north to NJ (a route I've driven several years ago). The super bonus came when we were bumped to first class seats for the entire series of flights.

We're staying at the Courtyard Newark Elizabeth (on Glimcher) on Saturday night (having stayed there before, I was familiar with it, and the CI property showed full for the night, although it's now listing availability again). I'm a geocacher, and have my eye on a dawn visit to Liberty State Park - crazy possibly, but I'm planning on a quick and early visit there and am hoping that early Sunday morning traffic will be low volume. I'm then dropping the car at EWR, hopping back to the hotel via their shuttle from the airport, and joining my wife for a cab ride over to the port with an expected arrival to the terminal around noon. We're not too pushed to get to the terminal much earlier; this gives my wife a chance to sleep in as part of adjusting to the four hour time change coming east (and I can indulge my desire to visit Liberty State Park at dawn for about an hour or so). We're expecting to take a cab from the hotel. Do you think there will be enough cab availability to just call as we're ready, or should we schedule that in advance with a car service? Any other thoughts on our plans?

Awww thanks for the nice comments..:o:D *blush*

Sorry...i did not see this earlier...let me think about your plans for a moment...

OK...so....you sound like you have the first part set and it seems that you know where you're going...

I would probably book a car service ahead, or even Independent Driver...(number on blog...;) ) You're 4 weeks out so they should be booking at that time....

IMO your plan sounds workable, and you already said that you are OK with getting to the pier around noon...

Your drive from Philly to the EWR area will likely take 2 hours due to traffic and construction..they are working on the bridges that are near the airport...this is a major PITA and will just add to the traffic volume...(pay attention to the wacko drivers...I just made that run this week-more or less, and people are just being impatient and well....dumb, but i digress)

The CY is fine, it was just redone....the CI has free breakfast, but the CY does have a cafe-ish type place (not really sit down, more like Starbucks..)

I would suggest getting BACK to the hotel around 10-10:30 so you can gather your other half and your belongings, grab a coffee, etc....then maybe get picked up around 11 or so to head to the pier....it's about 30 minutes, but there may be a slight tie up getting in...

hth

Meg..

Will be sailing on the EOS 11/4..staying at the Country Inn & Suites..what is your suggestion on route to the pier, we will be driving and leaving our car at the pier. I know the NYC Marathon is that day..didn't know what route they use or what roads/bridges are closed that day. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Karen

The NY Marathon should not be a problem if you are staying at Country Inns in Elizabeth and driving to Bayonne since both are in New Jersey. You get on the NJ Turnpike at exit 13A and go north one exit and follow the signs to Exit 14, 14A, 14B, and 14C. Exit 14A is the Bayonne exit. You cross the toll plaza and take the ramp that curves up and left. Stay to the right and go right at every opportunity. At the first traffic light at route 440 turn left, stay left and make a left at the first light. This will take you into the port.

I would suggest getting BACK to the hotel around 10-10:30 so you can gather your other half and your belongings, grab a coffee, etc....then maybe get picked up around 11 or so to head to the pier....it's about 30 minutes, but there may be a slight tie up getting in...

hth

Thanks for sifting my ideas through your local knowledge grid of wisdom - my "other half" chuckled when she saw the remark about being back to the hotel NLT 1030am... obviously you've encountered those folks who "think" they're quick, but get so wrapped up in what they're doing that time passes without meaning! I've set 0930am as my 'must depart' time from my sprint around the waterfront at Liberty State Park as a result of your advice.

Thank you too for the PITA warning regarding construction on the highway northbound from Philly to EWR. Working in construction support I know what you mean about crazed drivers. (I sell everything orange you see at those sites, from cones & barrels through signs & clothing all the way up to the message boards that tell you your route of choice is closed and you should've just stayed home...)

Thanks for sifting my ideas through your local knowledge grid of wisdom - my "other half" chuckled when she saw the remark about being back to the hotel NLT 1030am... obviously you've encountered those folks who "think" they're quick, but get so wrapped up in what they're doing that time passes without meaning! I've set 0930am as my 'must depart' time from my sprint around the waterfront at Liberty State Park as a result of your advice.

Thank you too for the PITA warning regarding construction on the highway northbound from Philly to EWR. Working in construction support I know what you mean about crazed drivers. (I sell everything orange you see at those sites, from cones & barrels through signs & clothing all the way up to the message boards that tell you your route of choice is closed and you should've just stayed home...)

Haha..made me laugh....well the construction keeps both you and them working...i call is...job security...

Some of the mayhem on the turnpike starts very close to my house....

Needless to say the traffic tie up often starts just down the road...

Local knowledge grid of wisdom? Haha....thanks...that caused a laugh...my cat looked at me funny when i chuckled....:D:p

Sent from my Samsung Charge via Tapatalk

Can one of the Cape Liberty guru's confirm for me that the best/cheapest way to book CI&S is still via aa.com?

Also what's the transport toll from Cape Liberty to EWR via the shuttle?

According to this it is $3 from 13A to 14A.......and as for booking, it really depends on when you book for...

try aa.com and then trinityreservations and stay123

HTH

Oh wait...you mean how much does it cost to get to the pier?? OOPS...i gave the NJ Turnpike toll...most services figure it into the cost..

you can call independent driver (number is on my blog) to get a quote..that's the name of the company and they only take calls, no website.....about 4-6 weeks ahead...

Edited by megr1125

As I am doing the same thing on Celebrity, I have been told that the port parking will not be open on a "non" sailing day. And especially in the evening. I have decided to take this thread's advice and park at Doubletree, and hire a car service. When we return, we can just take the hotel shuttle. Doubletree has just a parking service, you don't have to stay. It is just $8 per day parking. Sounds good to me.

Can you please give me more detail about this. Do you call and reserve a parking space and they charge you $8 a day? That's unbelievable.

Also want to know if there's a good alternative from CT not utilizing the GW Bridge, just in case we get up in the morning and traffic is bad. This past Saturday traffic was already backed up at 8:00 AM because of construction that was being done and then when they were wrapping up construction there was an accident. Needless to say it became a parking lot very quickly.

Thanks.

Edited by CruisingChick

I always advise using the cars only parkway route though Westchester and NYC - you do NOT want to go on I95!! Where are you coming from in CT? Basically you want to pick up the Merritt in Milford CT or the Hutchinson River Pkwy at I287 just over the NY border. You take the Hutch to the Cross County, the Saw Mill River Pkwy, and the Henry Hudson Pkwy where you get on the GW Bridge at the very last entrance in a dedicated Lane. There's a $4 toll that is worth every penny. This avoids the nasty construction. If you are interested, I can post the detailed directions or just search this board for Hutchinson and you will find one of my posts with the details.

I always advise using the cars only parkway route though Westchester and NYC - you do NOT want to go on I95!! Where are you coming from in CT? Basically you want to pick up the Merritt in Milford CT or the Hutchinson River Pkwy at I287 just over the NY border. You take the Hutch to the Cross County, the Saw Mill River Pkwy, and the Henry Hudson Pkwy where you get on the GW Bridge at the very last entrance in a dedicated Lane. There's a $4 toll that is worth every penny. This avoids the nasty construction. If you are interested, I can post the detailed directions or just search this board for Hutchinson and you will find one of my posts with the details.

Hi thanks for the directions. We live in Stamford, closer to 95 than the Merritt, so we usually go 95 and we are use to it. My only concern is this construction project going on near the GWB.

Here is another question, is there a way to get there not going over GWB? Using one of the tunnels or the Tappan Zee to the Garden State? I know that would be way out of the way, but if there's an accident and all lanes are closed then I would want an alternative.

Thanks for all your help.

Does the terminal parking lot ever get full? I won't be able to arrive till early/mid afternoon and I want to make sure there is plenty of parking.

there is.....but i would suggest NOT getting there past 1:30 or so...you don't want to run the risk of being denied boarding due to not checking in on time....

Hi thanks for the directions. We live in Stamford, closer to 95 than the Merritt, so we usually go 95 and we are use to it. My only concern is this construction project going on near the GWB.

Here is another question, is there a way to get there not going over GWB? Using one of the tunnels or the Tappan Zee to the Garden State? I know that would be way out of the way, but if there's an accident and all lanes are closed then I would want an alternative.

Thanks for all your help.

The construction project is before the Henry Hudson Parkway merge onto the GW Bridge, so you will miss it completely. If you take the I287 exit from I95 in Rye, the Merritt Parkway is one of the first exits. You do a couple of lights on the service road and then get on the Hutch.

From the Hutch take exit 15 in New Rochelle to get on the Cross County Pkwy. Stay in the middle left lane, which will become the left lane when the road "scrunches". This leads onto the Saw Mill River Pkwy South which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy at the NYC line ($4 toll). Take the GW bridge exit (left exit - stay to the right on the exit ramp). On the bridge get in the middle left lane to get on I80 west to the NJ Turnpike. Follow the first set of signs to the Lincoln Tunnel (this puts you on the eastern turnpike spur), but don't get off at the real Lincoln Tunnel exit 3 miles later. Stay on the turnpike and follow the signs to exit 14A in Bayonne. Go directly across the toll plaza and take the up ramp that curves left. Stay to the right and bear right at every opportunity until you reach the traffic light at route 440. Make a left, stay left, and make the first left turn onto Port Terminal Blvd.

Don't let your GPS take you on I95. Once you are on this route, your GPS should adjust itself, but who knows. Just follow the directions. There are no trucks from I95 until you get on the GW Bridge. You will get on at the very last bridge entrance in a dedicated lane.

Alternative routes - there are certainly many options for getting through NYC and I have tried them all at some time or another. The Tappan Zee/GSP route takes you miles out of the way and IMO the GSP is a more risky road traffic and accident wise. You can take the East River Drive and go around the tip of Manhattan to the Holland Tunnel. You can do as my cruise bus did last week and take the Whitestone Bridge to the LIE to the BQE to the Williamsburg Bridge past the Lower East Side, Bowery, and Chinatown to the Holland Tunnel (our driver missed the I95 turn). I've had consistent good luck getting to the GW Bridge on the route I described above. The $4 toll keeps the riffraff off this route and there is NO commercial traffic. You sneak onto the GW Bridge at the last possible moment. If you still don't want to go on the bridge, you can take the HH until it ends in midtown and continue on downtown on West St to the Holland Tunnel.

Does the terminal parking lot ever get full? I won't be able to arrive till early/mid afternoon and I want to make sure there is plenty of parking.

Tons of parking. I made a point of checking last Sunday when we docked - nowhere near full.

Tons of parking. I made a point of checking last Sunday when we docked - nowhere near full.

Re the parking can you still park in the overflow lot on the right before the terminal? In the past you could pay at that entrance (to the overflow lot) and pull in then walk with your luggage to the terminal without having to go all the way around to the main entrance to the parking lot (past the luggage drop off) and then work your way all the way through the lot and cross the street to enter the overflow.

Mike

there is.....but i would suggest NOT getting there past 1:30 or so...you don't want to run the risk of being denied boarding due to not checking in on time....

If the ship leaves at 5:00PM and we must be checked-in 90 minutes early, I was thinking 3:30PM would be the latest possible time available. I was thinking of arriving around 2:30-3:00. I would love to be there before noon, but I don't think I can swing that.

If the ship leaves at 5:00PM and we must be checked-in 90 minutes early, I was thinking 3:30PM would be the latest possible time available. I was thinking of arriving around 2:30-3:00. I would love to be there before noon, but I don't think I can swing that.

Do NOT cut your arrival that close....depending on where you are coming from, if there is an accident on the turnpike bridge, which always seems to have construction, you are SOL.....(and the 3 times i have been there to visit ships there HAVE been fender benders or other mayhem)

3 PM AT THE LATEST!!!! if you are on EX, they OFTEN sail early....before 5....and i THINK that they change sailaway to 4 officially at some point due to daylight savings time....