CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

Thanks everyone for the information. I made my parking reservations at the Doubletree by Newark. $8 a day. Then I found discount code 1EWR that took another $5 off the total price. I called Independent Drivers LLC and made my reservation for pickup at the Doubletree going to the pier. Abduhl quoted for 3 people with 3 pieces of luggage $45 + $2 toll + gratuity. He even gave me a confirmation number and took my name and cell. Looks like we're good to go. Thanks all. This really helped!

Chris

I've been reading through this thread and I don't recall seeing where you have listed tolls. I need transportation from the Residence Inn in Elizabeth to Cape Liberty. I called Dial 7 and they quoted me $56 plus $16 for tolls plus a tip. That can't possibly be correct for an 11 mile journey, can it? Tell me it isn't so!

I've been reading through this thread and I don't recall seeing where you have listed tolls. I need transportation from the Residence Inn in Elizabeth to Cape Liberty. I called Dial 7 and they quoted me $56 plus $16 for tolls plus a tip. That can't possibly be correct for an 11 mile journey, can it? Tell me it isn't so!

I wouldn't necessarily book with Dial 7 for a trip totally within NJ because they're a NY-based company, but their price isn't too much out of line if the $16 you're quoting is the total for tolls and tip...not just for tolls with a tip to be added on top (I wasn't sure which one you meant). Round trip tolls between NJ Turnpike exits 13A and 14A would be $6 (yes you do have to pay for tolls in both directions because they assume the car will be returning to a local base, probably at Newark Airport, empty) plus a tip of $10 is reasonable. If the $16 is just for tolls, then they're assuming the car is coming from/returning to NY City (which is why I wouldn't book a NY-based car service for a trip totally in NJ). You might be able to book a NJ-based service for a fare of $45-50 plus tolls and tip.

Edited by njhorseman

That's in the right ballpark.

Found out today the hotel in Newark. Best Western Plus Airport West has a shuttle that will take us to the pier and give us voucher for taxi back to the airport after the cruise for $60 for 2 total. I think that is the way I'm going. Thanks for your help. Pat

Unfortunately that is not a hotel we recommend, particularly for ditching your car while on a cruise. It's a sketchy area and there have been issues in the past. Newark is a highly industrialized urban area and you must be selective about where to leave your car. Perhaps greatam will post about her drivers' experiences in that particular area. Let me see if I can find some posts.

In all fairness they have apparently redone the rooms, but who really wants to stay at a property in Newark where you feel uncomfortable just stepping outside the hotel door.

Found out today the hotel in Newark. Best Western Plus Airport West has a shuttle that will take us to the pier and give us voucher for taxi back to the airport after the cruise for $60 for 2 total. I think that is the way I'm going. Thanks for your help. Pat

No...please...

I have tried to go there at least three times to check it out...aside from it being hard to get to....there is sooo much crap...broken glass.....just not well kept around the hotel....sure the photos look fine....call it photoshop.

There are reasons why places offer packages....in this case...the reason is.....the hotel is in the worst area around the airport.....

Sent from my Samsung Charge via Tapatalk

OK, I need some help figuring out tolls!!!!

I did look at the NJ toll website, and it might as well be written in Chinese:o.

If anyone can help me figure out tolls, it will be greatly appreciated!!!!

The first map is us coming from PA to the hotel, Hampton Inn in Staten Island. It will be 4 axles. Truck and enclosed trailer.

The second map will be my husband riding the motorcycle from the hotel up to the cruise port.

And, is the toll the same on our return trip?

Thanks for anyone who can make sense of this for me!!!

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Greencastle,+PA&daddr=40.532263,-74.223847+to:1120+South+Avenue,+Staten+Island,+New+York,+10314&geocode=FSMnXwId5fdd-ylzjbVyOZDJiTHdO7roX1vlBA%3B%3BFTO1awIdyR-U-yktb0Tr8EzCiTFKmuaocuVVag&authuser=0&aq=0&oq=greenc&vps=3&sll=40.538721,-74.222689&sspn=0.019862,0.027595&vpsrc=6&hl=en&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=15&via=1&ie=UTF8

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=1120+South+Avenue,+Staten+Island,+New+York,+NY&daddr=Cape+Liberty+Cruise+Port,+Port+Terminal+Boulevard,+Bayonne,+NJ&geocode=FTO1awIdyR-U-yktb0Tr8EzCiTFKmuaocuVVag%3BFcaAbAIdSLCV-yGxvxl7NJg1fimrqqqq5lHCiTGxvxl7NJg1fg&aq=1&oq=port+libert&sll=40.64134,-74.125975&sspn=0.079326,0.110378&vpsrc=0&hl=en&mra=prev&ie=UTF8&t=m&z=13&layer=c&ei=jhpuUJnmH6f4xAGjz4GYBQ&pw=2

OK, I need some help figuring out tolls!!!!

I did look at the NJ toll website, and it might as well be written in Chinese:o.

If anyone can help me figure out tolls, it will be greatly appreciated!!!!

The first map is us coming from PA to the hotel, Hampton Inn in Staten Island. It will be 4 axles. Truck and enclosed trailer.

The second map will be my husband riding the motorcycle from the hotel up to the cruise port.

And, is the toll the same on our return trip?

Thanks for anyone who can make sense of this for me!!!

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Greencastle,+PA&daddr=40.532263,-74.223847+to:1120+South+Avenue,+Staten+Island,+New+York,+10314&geocode=FSMnXwId5fdd-ylzjbVyOZDJiTHdO7roX1vlBA%3B%3BFTO1awIdyR-U-yktb0Tr8EzCiTFKmuaocuVVag&authuser=0&aq=0&oq=greenc&vps=3&sll=40.538721,-74.222689&sspn=0.019862,0.027595&vpsrc=6&hl=en&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=15&via=1&ie=UTF8

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=1120+South+Avenue,+Staten+Island,+New+York,+NY&daddr=Cape+Liberty+Cruise+Port,+Port+Terminal+Boulevard,+Bayonne,+NJ&geocode=FTO1awIdyR-U-yktb0Tr8EzCiTFKmuaocuVVag%3BFcaAbAIdSLCV-yGxvxl7NJg1fimrqqqq5lHCiTGxvxl7NJg1fg&aq=1&oq=port+libert&sll=40.64134,-74.125975&sspn=0.079326,0.110378&vpsrc=0&hl=en&mra=prev&ie=UTF8&t=m&z=13&layer=c&ei=jhpuUJnmH6f4xAGjz4GYBQ&pw=2

Tolls for bridges and tunnels are collected in only one direction...when you're headed into New York City (in this case Staten Island).

Assuming each of the 4 axles are single-wheel, the toll for the Outerbridge Crossing heading into Staten Island should be $32. No toll for your return trip.

I believe you had said earlier that the motorcycle was the only vehicle going from Staten Island to Bayonne, in which case there would be no toll on the trip from the hotel to Cape Liberty, and an $11 toll on the trip from Cape Liberty back to the hotel in Staten Island.

Tolls for bridges and tunnels are collected in only one direction...when you're headed into New York City (in this case Staten Island).

Assuming each of the 4 axles are single-wheel, the toll for the Outerbridge Crossing heading into Staten Island should be $32. No toll for your return trip.

I believe you had said earlier that the motorcycle was the only vehicle going from Staten Island to Bayonne, in which case there would be no toll on the trip from the hotel to Cape Liberty, and an $11 toll on the trip from Cape Liberty back to the hotel in Staten Island.

Thank you! Yes, the axles are single wheel. Just trying to be prepared when we get to a toll booth.

Unfortunately that is not a hotel we recommend, particularly for ditching your car while on a cruise. It's a sketchy area and there have been issues in the past. Newark is a highly industrialized urban area and you must be selective about where to leave your car. Perhaps greatam will post about her drivers' experiences in that particular area. Let me see if I can find some posts.

In all fairness they have apparently redone the rooms, but who really wants to stay at a property in Newark where you feel uncomfortable just stepping outside the hotel door.

Not driving I"m flying. Amazing that they have a AAA 3 diamond rating and good reviews on Trip advisor.

No car is good news. There have been reports of cars being damaged by local vandals. I personally would not stay there, but I have quizzed other CC folks who have ended up there. All have said the inside has been redone and it was fine, but they did notice the outside area was not up to snuff. Also, be sure to check what your food options are. You certainly will not be walking next door to a local restaurant or walking anywhere in the area for that matter.

Not driving I"m flying. Amazing that they have a AAA 3 diamond rating and good reviews on Trip advisor.

Ratings are subjective...and you will have zero options to eat except whatever the hotel offers...

i have stayed in AAA 5 diamond places and questioned WHY?? as for trip advisor, you have to wade through all the one post wonders...and the super great ones...and super lousy ones....

you're going to have to call for delivery or take a taxi to eat - or the hotel shuttle back to the airport and try one of the pre-security food courts/places in terminals A & B....

we have given you our thoughts....and you've done some research...that way you can made an educated decision....but there is NOTHING by the BW at all, except the Wyndham....

Ratings are subjective...and you will have zero options to eat except whatever the hotel offers...

i have stayed in AAA 5 diamond places and questioned WHY?? as for trip advisor, you have to wade through all the one post wonders...and the super great ones...and super lousy ones....

you're going to have to call for delivery or take a taxi to eat - or the hotel shuttle back to the airport and try one of the pre-security food courts/places in terminals A & B....

we have given you our thoughts....and you've done some research...that way you can made an educated decision....but there is NOTHING by the BW at all, except the Wyndham....

staying there before the cruise not planing trips outside for food. there is a restaurant in the hotel and they serve a full breakfast included in the stay.

Please post back and tell us about your experience, particularly as someone coming from FLA, the home of cruise ports, cruise hotel deals, and cruise shuttles.

I'm venturing into your home turf in Nov and was overwhelmed by the deals that are out there for folks flying in to sail away. For less than you're paying, I'm renting a car, staying at a Cocoa Beach hotel with breakfast, dropping the car off at the port, getting a shuttle to the pier, and reversing the process on the way back to the airport. All those services are just not available for Cape Liberty for such a reasonable price.

Please post back and tell us about your experience, particularly as someone coming from FLA, the home of cruise ports, cruise hotel deals, and cruise shuttles.

I'm venturing into your home turf in Nov and was overwhelmed by the deals that are out there for folks flying in to sail away. For less than you're paying, I'm renting a car, staying at a Cocoa Beach hotel with breakfast, dropping the car off at the port, getting a shuttle to the pier, and reversing the process on the way back to the airport. All those services are just not available for Cape Liberty for such a reasonable price.

I will let you know. Fla does have some great deals. Just did one in August because of the storm Issac I drove over to port Canaveral the night before and did a hotel park and cruise that was a great deal.

Enjoy and explore I know you will:D

hi im travelling up by car from delaware for our cruise on the explorer next sunday, planning to leave here about 9 am for the 2 hour drive. my question is.......if we are not staying at the doubletree, can we still park there for 8 bucks a day?? and then take the shuttle to the port?? i am trying to avoid paying the 19 a day at the pier. then when we get back, what options are there to getting back to the doubletree???

we are travelling with autism on the seas on a grant....money is tight since i cant work, i take care of my son full time.

thanks for the advice!!!

hi im travelling up by car from delaware for our cruise on the explorer next sunday, planning to leave here about 9 am for the 2 hour drive. my question is.......if we are not staying at the doubletree, can we still park there for 8 bucks a day?? and then take the shuttle to the port?? i am trying to avoid paying the 19 a day at the pier. then when we get back, what options are there to getting back to the doubletree???

we are travelling with autism on the seas on a grant....money is tight since i cant work, i take care of my son full time.

thanks for the advice!!!

i believe so, i would suggest phoning them and asking... HERE is their info

How many of you are there??? 2? 3? they may be able to come pick you up...if not, you'd need a shuttle which is $17/PP or a cab/car service which would be about $50.

You may want to call them, then crunch the numbers and see - it may not cost TOO much more to just park at the pier, if the doubletree can't help.

In any case, please do NOT use that premier parking place that has been often discussed....it is not a viable option and there are a lot of questions about proper licensing and insurance to transport people to and from their lot.

HTH

I don't think it will be cost effective to park at the Doubletree for a 7 day cruise. It's $133 to park at the pier. It would be $56 to park at Doubletree. That leaves you only $76 to do a round trip by cab or shuttle to the port and I don't think that is realistic.

I don't think it will be cost effective to park at the Doubletree for a 7 day cruise. It's $133 to park at the pier. It would be $56 to park at Doubletree. That leaves you only $76 to do a round trip by cab or shuttle to the port and I don't think that is realistic.

good point......you're more awake than i am...

Just a review on "Independent Driver". We used them last week from the Rennaisance hotel to cape liberty cruise port. I was expecting a car service. We got a beat up shuttle van with 8 passengers already in it, with barely enough room for my wife and I. Bags were stacked in the back to the roof and the window on the back door was broken out. They also arrived 15 minutes late. Glad our suit cases didn't fall out. Cost was $47 for the two of us. Seemed a bit high for a shuttle van.

On the way back to the airport we got in a shuttle at the cruise port for $16 a person.

Edited by nottooshabby

We just got back Sunday from a Bermuda cruise out of Cape Liberty. It was wonderful! We thought the food was better than we remembered from our Dec 2011 cruise and the ship was cleaner overall. We stayed at Country Inns and Suites in Elizabeth, NJ, booking with "buyreservations". It was easy to get to and we paid the $35 per person round-trip for the shuttle to the pier.

We are headed out on the Explorer again this December and from posts on cruise critic many folks seem to like Hampton Inn on Staten Island and the free shuttle to the pier. The cost would be about $60 less than we paid at CIandS. I'd like to go into NYC---maybe take the Staten Island ferry? My husband has some health issues and wouldn't be able to walk much distance. Looks like we could park our car at the Ferry Terminal for $8? Would that be a lot of headache to drive to the terminal? I think he'd be happier to go on a short tour if we can locate one close to Ferry Terminal. I have been to NYC with my daughter and we found our way around fairly well---we thought the subway was an experience.

Ideas/suggestions are welcome.

Hello Everyone :)

Just looking to iron out the last details of our travel plans.

We're renting a car in Philadelphia and dropping it off at Newark Liberty Airport. Then the plan is to hop a cab from there.

My question is:

Can we just call a cab from the car rental place or should we make our way over to one of the terminals and find the taxi stand?

Would the price be any different calling from Hertz's location going to Cape Liberty?

If it's better to go to the terminal, is one better than the other for a cab?

Edited by ksadonnab