CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

Mapquest directions from the hotel to the port. Anything we should be aware of? Will we be going to through the tunnel this way? Is there a better way?

Didn't include turn by turn directions from hotel, starting at 1-287 -

* Merge onto I-287 S toward New Jersey Turnpike.

*Take the I-96/New Jersey Turnpike exit.

*Take the exit toard New York and North.

*Merge onto I-95 N / New jersey Turnpike N toward Cars / Trucks / Buses.

*Merge onto I-78 E / New Jersey Tpke Ext E via Exit 14 toward 14a-14b-14c / Bayonne / Jersey City / Holland tunnel.

*Take Exit 14a toward Bayonne.

*Keep left to take the Ave E ramp.

*Stay straight to go onto Avenue E.

* Turn right onto E 27th St. *Welcome to Bayonne NJ, your desitination is 0.1 miles past Broadway. If you reach Avenue C you/ve gone too far.

Mapquest says 37 minutes from hotel to pier. Is that close to how long it should take us?

Thank you for all your help.

No tunnel.....that's just what the sign says..

there will be signs for the cruise terminal...(small, blue and white...and did i say SMALL)

go thru the toll booth staying straight-ish/left (watch if you're to the right, there's an island thing...in the road..)

then...follow the road, keep going right until you get to a traffic light...turn left, then stay in the left lane, turn left into the pier.....

it sounds goofy....it should make sense when you get there...just follow signs to NJ Turnpike north...THEN watch for signs (near the airport) for 14/14A/B/C and you should be good..

Pull right into the pier....follow around to the RIGHT...the traffic will be going to the left in the pier....meaning..follow signs towards the 9-11 memorial (they are SMALL)

you will park right next to the ship....the crew will leave from this gangway (it's the one i use when i visit the ship)

if your friend has a cell phone...have her call you....you will prob see her leaving.

not sure when disembarking crew leave...but when i visit i am instructed to arrive before 11. if you're there around 10 should be OK...she can likely remain on the ship/near the gangway.

it may not make sense now, but when you drive in it will. there will be a BIG electronic sign...make a RIGHT there, towards the dry dock....you'll see a guard booth or 2.....and people parked going to the memorial..it will make sense..

Thanks, I just checked it out on google maps and that does make sense from what I can see. It also means I can sleep a bit later if 10 is a good time to get there. I'll give myself two hours and change.

Thanks, I just checked it out on google maps and that does make sense from what I can see. It also means I can sleep a bit later if 10 is a good time to get there. I'll give myself two hours and change.

that should be good.......i know where Warminster is.... LOL....

*Take Exit 14a toward Bayonne.

*Keep left to take the Ave E ramp.

*Stay straight to go onto Avenue E.

* Turn right onto E 27th St. *Welcome to Bayonne NJ, your desitination is 0.1 miles past Broadway. If you reach Avenue C you/ve gone too far.

Mapquest says 37 minutes from hotel to pier. Is that close to how long it should take us?

The last part of the directions make no sense to me at all. As Meg said, when you go through the toll booth at exit 14A, go straight across the toll plaza onto a ramp that goes up and left. Stay to the right and go right at every opportunity. When you come to the traffic light at route 440, make a left, stay left, and turn left at the first light which is Port Terminal Blvd. You don't want to go anywhere near 27th St. or Avenue E. Been there, done that in Bayonne following Mapquest directions.

37 minutes sounds reasonable.

Edited by 138east

We are sailing on Brilliance Repositioning Cruise Nov 2nd. We live near Poughkeepsie, NY, so we are driving down the day of sailing. Any suggestions for parking? Since it's a one way cruise and we will fly back to Newark, I thought it would be best to park by the airport and then take a taxi to the pier. When we return to Newark, we'll get the car quicker and get home.

I woukd park at the pier but contact them cruiseliberty.com

I cant see the point in ba k and forth. you would have to park...shute to a terminal for a cab...check in at pier and then reverse...with all your stuff...unless you drop bags...go to ewr and then back to the pier.

That will add another ~$100 bucks or so total.....i have a friend who works at the pier.....if you cant get a hold.of them i will ask.her if the lot will be open.

There may be a phone number on the pier site....try calling....

Sent from my Samsung Charge via Tapatalk

Here's another option for your cruise that was recently discussed - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1700694

Parking at the pier is $19/day and is inconvenient when you return even if you could get your car from the pier. I wouldn't want to be looking for my car in the dark out on Cape Liberty. You can make much less expensive parking arrangements at an airport hotel and you have to pay for a cab or car service at some point anyway. If you have a lot of luggage, you can always spend an additional $20-25 and take a cab from the airport terminal directly to the hotel instead of the monorail to P4 to get the hotel shuttle.

Another thought - if you park at the Doubletree, call Bayonne Taxi. I think they do a lot of the RCL transfers and the Doubletree is one of the precruise hotels. Several years ago someone left their car at nearby Vista parking, took the Vista shuttle to the Doubletree, and got a Bayonne Taxi shuttle to the port which used to be $15 but is now $16 or $17.

Edited by 138east

As I am doing the same thing on Celebrity, I have been told that the port parking will not be open on a "non" sailing day. And especially in the evening. I have decided to take this thread's advice and park at Doubletree, and hire a car service. When we return, we can just take the hotel shuttle. Doubletree has just a parking service, you don't have to stay. It is just $8 per day parking. Sounds good to me.

Outbound you should try to find the Herald Square Building at 1350 Broadway at 35th St. There is supposed to be a handicapped entrance there into the big subway concourse under Herald Square where you can walk the 3 blocks underground to Path. This would be particularly good if the weather is bad.

You take Path to Hoboken where there are elevators to get up to the station level. You just walk towards the trains and go around to the left to the light rail station. Buy a ticket, validate it, and get on the Bayonne train to 34th St. Call Bayonne Taxi at 201-339-5000 and tell them you want to be picked up at the light rail station to go to the port. They will tell you where they will meet you - possibly back on Ave E where there is a bench to wait. The fare should be $10 plus tip.

I know you can get into Path from the street at 32nd & 6th, but I think it is stairs only.

I asked some questions last week, and then I booked the Hampton Inn and Suites Staten Island. We talked about my reasons, I said I new the city well, etc. etc.

I later asked some more questions about private transportation should I change my mind and stay in Manhattan. That just seemed too expensive.

So, one of the people on the roll call for my cruise referred me to the quote above, so now I'm 95% sure what you suggest is what I want to do if, and "if" is the operative word, I can book a room up in the Columbia University area where I lived.

If I do that here is what I would propose doing. Someone tell me if this is what's suggested above. I do have one question which I'll highlight. I will make the time work, so that's not going to be an issue.

1. Board the M5 bus at 120th and Riverside Drive. No steps as there would be if I took the #1 subway at 116th St.

2. Get off the M5 at Fifth Ave. and 33rd Street.

3. Walk to the PATH station - this is where I need help. Which is the Herald Square Bldg, and where would I find the elevator?

4. Where do I buy PATH ticket? Take the PATH to Hoboken.

5. Get off the PATH and take elevator to station level.

6. Walk toward the trains (is this obvious?) and go around to the LEFT to the Light Rail Station where I will buy a ticket and validate it.

7. Get on the train to Bayonne and get off at 34th St.

8 Call Bayonne Taxi at 201-339-5000 and asked to be picked up at the light rail station to go to the port and get instructions about where to meet. When I do I call?

I think I can manage all of the above if I pack carefully. Stairs would be a problem, but I could possibly even manage those.

Thanks for all the help.

Beth

Where do I buy PATH ticket?

I know the answer to this one! You can use the same New York City MTA Metrocard on PATH...that's right, the same card you use for the subway and bus in New York will work in the PATH turnstile...they'll deduct $2 per ride from your Metrocard balance.

Noel

Edited by SensFan11

Hi, we've asked on our roll call to see if anyone wants to share a ride to the port, but have had no takers. Seems everyone else is staying at the Springhill for some reason. Anyways, Independent Driver is quoting us $45 + tolls. Would a taxi be cheaper for us (party of 2) since we only need the one way ride to the port (we're returning home from a different port)? Does $32 + tolls sound about right for a taxi fare from CI? Thanks!

ILoveScotland, you said:

1. Board the M5 bus at 120th and Riverside Drive. No steps as there would be if I took the #1 subway at 116th St.

There are a couple of steps to get on and off the bus, admittedly not nearly the number of steps for a subway station...and if anything is less luggage-friendly than a NY City subway, it's a NY City bus. They're generally crowded at all hours, and move very, very slowly because of the traffic.

Hi, we've asked on our roll call to see if anyone wants to share a ride to the port, but have had no takers. Seems everyone else is staying at the Springhill for some reason. Anyways, Independent Driver is quoting us $45 + tolls. Would a taxi be cheaper for us (party of 2) since we only need the one way ride to the port (we're returning home from a different port)? Does $32 + tolls sound about right for a taxi fare from CI? Thanks!

45 is fine...cab will not be 32....same price...around 45-50

ILoveScotland, you said:

There are a couple of steps to get on and off the bus, admittedly not nearly the number of steps for a subway station...and if anything is less luggage-friendly than a NY City subway, it's a NY City bus. They're generally crowded at all hours, and move very, very slowly because of the traffic.

I thought about the steps into the bus and also the crowding. I love NYC buses and often rode the bus rather than the subway when I lived in the city. If this is the option I take I'll allow plenty of time.

Another option, although it would obviously cost more, would be to take a cab to 33rd and Broadway.

Travel information requested.

This vacation we will not be cruising but driving past Bayonne. At the end of the month we are heading up to Newport, RI for a few days and I am concerned about traffic up on 95. We will be going up on a Saturday or Sunday and leaving the Philadelphia area around 9:00 - 10:00 AM. We will be returning on Thursday or Friday. I am not too concerned about the weekend(or maybe I should be) but I am worried about coming back during the week. We don't have any planned return time but assume we need to avoid certain times of the day. This is my current planned route. How does this sound?

PA Turnpike to NJ Turnpike

95 North to Garden State Parkway

G.S.P north to 287

287 to 95

95 north to 138

138 into Newport.

We would follow these directions in reverse on the way back.

Thank you in advance.

I know this is not cruise related this time but I have seen so much good travel information here.

Also, what radio stations are good to listen to for up to the date traffic reports?

Edited by fred30

Travel information requested.

This vacation we will not be cruising but driving past Bayonne. At the end of the month we are heading up to Newport, RI for a few days and I am concerned about traffic up on 95. We will be going up on a Saturday or Sunday and leaving the Philadelphia area around 9:00 - 10:00 AM. We will be returning on Thursday or Friday. I am not too concerned about the weekend(or maybe I should be) but I am worried about coming back during the week. We don't have any planned return time but assume we need to avoid certain times of the day. This is my current planned route. How does this sound?

PA Turnpike to NJ Turnpike

95 North to Garden State Parkway

G.S.P north to 287

287 to 95

95 north to 138

138 into Newport.

We would follow these directions in reverse on the way back.

Thank you in advance.

I know this is not cruise related this time but I have seen so much good travel information here.

Also, what radio stations are good to listen to for up to the date traffic reports?

It has been a while since i drove up there....but they sound correct.......

We are sailing on Explorer on October 7. We fly in to ERW on the 6th and are spending the night at Residence Inn Newark Elizabeth across from Jersey Gardens. What are the pros or cons of using a car service over a taxi and what should we expect to pay for each? If we decide on a taxi will the front desk call one for us?

Also, what otions do we have on the 14th to get from Cape Liberty to ERW? Our flight isn't until 3:30 so we won't be in a rush. There will be two of us and we will probably have 3 bags plus 2 carry-ons.

We are sailing on Explorer on October 7. We fly in to ERW on the 6th and are spending the night at Residence Inn Newark Elizabeth across from Jersey Gardens. What are the pros or cons of using a car service over a taxi and what should we expect to pay for each? If we decide on a taxi will the front desk call one for us?

Also, what otions do we have on the 14th to get from Cape Liberty to ERW? Our flight isn't until 3:30 so we won't be in a rush. There will be two of us and we will probably have 3 bags plus 2 carry-ons.

same price......$45-50 and it makes no difference.....cab or car service...however, sometimes if you ask the hotel to call one, they will charge more...as the hotel gets a kickback...

click the link below my countdowns to my blog, there is some contact info there.

You can try Independent Driver...no website, phone only, but they are reasonable, no frills and dependable..

We will be sailing on Explorer on Oct. 7th. Our daughter will be driving us from Long Island. Is there a passenger drop off area and how easy will it be for her to pick us up on the 14th?

Marc

Yes..one way in, one way out....she call drive in, drop you at the 'tent' where you give luggage to the porters...and do the same thing when you return...the spots are numbered..there is an area where cars wait to pick people up (essentially the side of the road..you'll see cars in line when you arrive..)

look at the number of the area you are and tell her that's where to get you..(take your cell phones..) it is really easy....

This link will show photos....these were taken from my car as i was going to park..

Yes..one way in, one way out....she call drive in, drop you at the 'tent' where you give luggage to the porters...and do the same thing when you return...the spots are numbered..there is an area where cars wait to pick people up (essentially the side of the road..you'll see cars in line when you arrive..)

look at the number of the area you are and tell her that's where to get you..(take your cell phones..) it is really easy....

This link will show photos....these were taken from my car as i was going to park..

Thank you

Marc

Another thought - if you park at the Doubletree, call Bayonne Taxi. I think they do a lot of the RCL transfers and the Doubletree is one of the precruise hotels. Several years ago someone left their car at nearby Vista parking, took the Vista shuttle to the Doubletree, and got a Bayonne Taxi shuttle to the port which used to be $15 but is now $16 or $17.

Are you able to give more information re: Bayonne Taxi? We are coming in on 10/20 and staying the night at Doubletree (the one at the airport) and will need transportation to the port on 10/21. I googled it and Bayonne City Yellow Cab is what came up. Is this the one?

The last time we cruised out of Bayonne we stayed at Country Inn & Suites on Glimcher. The cab from there ran us $75 :eek: but most of the fare (I think) was due to getting caught in the endless line of cars going into the port.

Ours is still aways away, February 10th, 2013, but looking at preliminary travel plans...Does anyone have any ideas on how to pull this one off:

The first set of plans I have come up with is this..We are looking at traveling by train on 2/9 (day before) to EWR, then catching a hotel shuttle (yes I know all about the AirTrain) and staying in a hotel. Now, a lot of the hotels offer the cruise transportation as additional cost, which is fine, but are they willing to just drop us back off at Newark Airport for the train ride home?

There is supposedly a shuttle from the port to EWR that no one really knows if it truly exists or not. If it does, how do you book it? Should I just suck it up and pay a car company and have them take us from hotel to cruise and then from cruise to airport? Do I book the hotel, use their R/T transfer (pay the fee) and then have them just drop us back at the hotel where we can get their shuttle back to the airport?

Any thoughts are appreciated and yes, I think over-think everything. I run 100 mile races (yes all at once), so planning months and months ahead of time is engrained in me!

Are you able to give more information re: Bayonne Taxi? We are coming in on 10/20 and staying the night at Doubletree (the one at the airport) and will need transportation to the port on 10/21. I googled it and Bayonne City Yellow Cab is what came up. Is this the one?

The last time we cruised out of Bayonne we stayed at Country Inn & Suites on Glimcher. The cab from there ran us $75 :eek: but most of the fare (I think) was due to getting caught in the endless line of cars going into the port.

It is usually a flat rate..you got taken for a ride.

As for Bayonne Taxi, i am having a hard time getting their contact info....mainly due to my lack of coffee this AM.......i used to have a number for them...i will poke around.

Check with Independent Driver...number on my blog....no website...no frills and many CCers use.

Whatever you do...do NOT let the hotel call a service for you...they are getting kickbacks....the rate you paid is $25 bucks too high..even if allowing for traffic.....

ETA: yes, the number for Bayonne Yellow cab looks correct......

you could probably call any of these.....

http://www.bayonnenj.org/taxi.htm

Edited by megr1125