CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

when you exit the terminal...turn RIGHT and walk to the end of the 'tent'...you'lll see a sign, and a dispatcher for the shuttle....IIRC they're decent sized buses...

Last I cruised on the Explorer, which admittedly was 18 months ago so things could be different now (or my aging brain could be playing tricks on me), I thought the airport shuttles were to the left, in some of the pick up/drop off stalls near the taxi line, and the buses were similar to airport rental car shuttle buses in size, not full sized vehicles. To the right were the buses for Royal Caribbean transfers and private bus lines like Entertainment Tours and buses chartered by groups.

I admit that I could be totally wrong, but that's my recollection.

Please feel free to slap me upside the head if I'm wrong. ;)

Edited by njhorseman

Last I cruised on the Explorer, which admittedly was 18 months ago so things could be different now (or my aging brain could be playing tricks on me), I thought the airport shuttles were to the left, in some of the pick up/drop off stalls near the taxi line, and the buses were similar to airport rental car shuttle buses in size, not full sized vehicles. To the right were the buses for Royal Caribbean transfers and private bus lines like Entertainment Tours and buses chartered by groups.

I admit that I could be totally wrong, but that's my recollection.

Please feel free to slap me upside the head if I'm wrong. ;)

i will not slap you upside the head....i am not usually violent!!:eek:

that said.....you could be correct...but i really forget...i THOUGHT the signs said taxis/cabs on the left and shuttles on the right.....BUT it COULD mean shuttles as you suggested..

Two weeks ago the buses were to the right and last Nov when I cruised with you Meg the cabs and shuttles were to the left. It hardly matters - you need to read the signs anyway because they can switch it around whenever they like. They switched the entrance road to the port and didn't update the directions on the website which IMO is a much bigger deal.

i will not slap you upside the head....i am not usually violent!!:eek:

that said.....you could be correct...but i really forget...i THOUGHT the signs said taxis/cabs on the left and shuttles on the right.....BUT it COULD mean shuttles as you suggested..

Well, I meant that figuratively, not literally...;)

How do I book the rccl transfer and how much is it from newark to cape liberty. Not sure if it would be any cheaper and faster to take a taxi.

You can purchase the cruise line's transfer either directly through Royal Caribbean's reservations department or if you booked through a travel agent contact your agent, who will arrange it with Royal Caribbean for you.

I don't know what their prices are but usually if you are a party of two or more passengers it will be a bit cheaper to just take a taxi between the airport and the pier. A taxi from EWR should be about $50 plus tolls and tip. A taxi is almost always quicker because you don't have to wait for a bus to fill up with passengers.

Edited by njhorseman

I would love your suggestions for staying out of the urban area. We are driving up from MD on Oct 27 to sail on Oct 28. We will park at the port so can drive in from anywhere. I'd love somewhere with good access but out a ways!! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Look at Hotwire in the Central Jersey region. For Oct 27 there is a 3* hotel for $83 that has a 100% approval rating (unbelievably high) for $83 that is highly likely to be Staybridge Suites. This is 2 miles from exit 8A on the NJ Turnpike.

My parents used to live nearby and I've spent a lot of time in that area over the last 15 + years and have stayed at many properties in the area. Unfortunately I have not stayed at Staybridge Suites. The area is still semi rural with several retirement communities and large warehousing operations on big properties that are tastefully landscaped.

My mom and I sailed many times from Cape Liberty. It take about 45 minutes to run up the NJ Turnpike to exit 14A in Bayonne and on a Sunday morning there is little traffic - the best morning of the week on the turnpike.

There are also other hotels in the area - Crowne Plaza and Marriott Courtyard are also at exit 8A. At exit 8 Hightstown/East Windsor there is a Days Inn, a Holiday Inn, a Hampton Inn, and a Quality Inn right off the turnpike exit.

NJHorseman lives in this area - perhaps he can offer some other suggestions.

Can anyone tell me how much "walking" is involved getting on Explorer at Cape Liberty?

One of our 75 yr old guests recently injured herselfand is afraid there may be too much walking and she will need a wheel chair.

I plan on having the limo drop us off as close as possible to the entrance. We have VIP check-in and I hear you need to board a bus to get to the ship. Is the walk from the check-in to the bus very far?

I usually depart from Florida ports so I have no idea what to expect from Cape Liberty. If this guest does have issues at the port, are there any emergency wheel chairs available to assist her if needed?

Look at Hotwire in the Central Jersey region. For Oct 27 there is a 3* hotel for $83 that has a 100% approval rating (unbelievably high) for $83 that is highly likely to be Staybridge Suites. This is 2 miles from exit 8A on the NJ Turnpike.

My parents used to live nearby and I've spent a lot of time in that area over the last 15 + years and have stayed at many properties in the area. Unfortunately I have not stayed at Staybridge Suites. The area is still semi rural with several retirement communities and large warehousing operations on big properties that are tastefully landscaped.

My mom and I sailed many times from Cape Liberty. It take about 45 minutes to run up the NJ Turnpike to exit 14A in Bayonne and on a Sunday morning there is little traffic - the best morning of the week on the turnpike.

There are also other hotels in the area - Crowne Plaza and Marriott Courtyard are also at exit 8A. At exit 8 Hightstown/East Windsor there is a Days Inn, a Holiday Inn, a Hampton Inn, and a Quality Inn right off the turnpike exit.

I can't think of where the Staybridge is...though they are pretty nice..

i would SKIP the days inn and Quality Inn....off 8A. The holiday inn looks OK as does the hampton.

there are also some things off exit 10-one is a nice Courtyard.

SKIP things in the Bordentown area....trust me....:eek::D..and also Carteret, Rahway and Linden.

In Woodbridge there are a few nice places....but you have to be selective...the Renaissance is pretty nice and there is a mall and lots of places around to eat....

Can anyone tell me how much "walking" is involved getting on Explorer at Cape Liberty?

One of our 75 yr old guests recently injured herselfand is afraid there may be too much walking and she will need a wheel chair.

I plan on having the limo drop us off as close as possible to the entrance. We have VIP check-in and I hear you need to board a bus to get to the ship. Is the walk from the check-in to the bus very far?

I usually depart from Florida ports so I have no idea what to expect from Cape Liberty. If this guest does have issues at the port, are there any emergency wheel chairs available to assist her if needed?

YEs there are WCs that can be used to get her into the terminal and on the ship. Just ask your porter..they will yell for one....

The pushers will take her up to the gangway (they're crew once you get into the terminal-usually-and i used to give them a few dollars for pushing my mom..)

they can wheel her to the bus....you may have to wait a few minutes for a wheelchair.....there are some benches outside the terminal, once you drop your stuff..but usually they can get a WC pretty fast....

If you need one on the ship, look up special needs at sea...they rent them..the ship will not have one for your use onboard for the whole cruise...

Right now I would avoid the exit 8 area, and stay near exit 8A instead. The NJ Turnpike widening project has created a real mess in the exit 8 vicinity. In any event I would avoid the Days Inn near exit 8 based on what my sister told me when she stayed there a couple of years ago.

I pass by the Staybridge Suites all the time. It's on Cranbury-South River Road just off Rt. 130. I haven't been inside but from the exterior it looks OK. The area is hardly beautiful because of all the warehouses in the vicinity, but it should be quiet on weekends when there's a minimum of truck traffic.

An alternative might be the Cherry Hill area...off exit 4. Lots of hotels, restaurants and shopping, but rather busy.

Edited by njhorseman

Both Meg and I cruised with moms who needed assistance. I would be seriously concerned about the amount of daily walking on the ship itself plus the walking just to get off the ship in the ports. If there's any possibility your guest might have mobility issues, rent a wheelchair for her use on the cruise.

Thanks for the information... it was very helpful.

I have stayed at the Days Inn, Quality Inn, Cranbury Courtyard, and the Crowne Plaza. It all depended where the deal of the weekend was located. The Days Inn is ... Well it's a Days Inn - nothing fancy - I've stayed there multiple times. The Quality Inn was nice, but it's more of a motel with rooms opening outside. The Crowne Plaza is Ok according to my kids - I haven't stayed at that property since it was a Holiday Inn. The best is the Courtyard. But the $83 Hotwire deal sounds very good to me - that's what I would take a chance on in that area.

Hi,

I was thinking of taking a cruise to the Caribbean out of New York instead of flying somewhere. I live in Boston. What is the best way to get to the cruise terminals? Bus, train or Drive? Are the ships rocky heading to the Caribbean out of New York? I am just entertaining the thought so I have no idea of timing yet. Thank you in advance for your help.

It depends. If you have a car, you can drive to Braintree and take the Entertainment Tours bus (enttours.com) for $100/pp each way plus $25 to park for the week. This bus leaves Braintree at 6:45 am.

Train to Newark Penn Station and cab to the port is another option as well as driving. Parking at the port is $19/day. You have to decide what would work best for you and whether you want to come down the previous day and get a hotel in NJ.

I've driven a bunch of times, but most recently I've opted for the bus as being the most cost effective and the least stressful.

I just noticed you are asking about New York. This is the Cape Liberty thread for RCL and Celebrity sailings from Bayonne NJ, so my comments apply to those cruises only. New York sailings are Carnival, NCL, and HAL from Manhattan and Princess from Brooklyn. There are cruise buses to the Manhattan terminal through Enttours as well. The train stop would be New York Penn Station, and the Manhattan port parking is $35/day.

Edited by 138east